WPS Matchday: Freedom at Breakers

Abby Wambach is out, Erin McLeod is probably in.

Wambach, Washington's imposing striker, will serve a one-game suspension handed down by WPS Commissioner Tony Antonucci for her challenge in the St. Louis game two weeks ago. McLeod's long-awaited work visa was approved, making the Canadian available to become the Freedom's third starting goalkeeper in six matches.

Venue: Harvard Stadium.
Kickoff: 6 p.m.
TV: Fox Soccer Channel.

Read the Freedom notes.

Your comments are welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  May 17, 2009; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: New Forward for Earthquakes?
Next: Americans Abroad

Comments

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: rnsaxuz | May 17, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Sorry my first comment didn't make it through the filter... Something about what a D-Bag rnsaxuz is for sure...
Live feeds anyone?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 17, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 17, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised if the usual places are up right now, but I didn't see anything listed on myp2p, atdhe.net or a few other places, DadRyan.

Posted by: sitruc | May 17, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...that's one of the usual places. I should refresh more often. I hate it when internet streams are ahead of my tv broadcast.

Posted by: sitruc | May 17, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I ♥ Sonia.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 17, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Freedom goal in the 33rd

Rebecca Moros

Posted by: sitruc | May 17, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

1-1 in the 50th

Posted by: sitruc | May 17, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Dear Ms. Antonucci,

Please use your Commissioner's authority to review Latham's elbow to Singer and award the Breaker player a red card.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 17, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

seriously, there's no question that has to be a red card. And if the AR did actually see it and tell the referee what happened I am astonished that a send off didn't happen. That is textbook "100% misconduct" as Paul Tamberino would say in his weekly review.

Posted by: fedssocr | May 17, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Alex Scott has a cannon for a right leg.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 17, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Let's start a petition to call her Amy Rodriguez instead of using the same nickname as a steroid cheat.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Latham will get next week off.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | May 17, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

To 'DadRyan', a complete JOKE & a LOSER! ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz. Don't bother writing back because I won't read anymore blogs regarding this thread; LOL!

Posted by: rnsaxuz | May 17, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess rnsaxuz woke up.

Posted by: sitruc | May 17, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Not a bad game for the Freedom under the circumstances. McLeod looks light years ahead of Scurry and Spisak and this was her first game since the WWC. However, Gabarra is getting burned by two things: selecting a team of holding midfielders -- after DeVanna went off, the best offensive threat for the Freedom was Sonia and she really is a defender/midfielder; and after DeVanna went off and with the exception of Sonia and Sawa - no team speed whatsoever.

Posted by: griffin1108 | May 17, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Soy un perdedor
I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?

Too bad the filter denied me my first response @ rnsaxuz. Come on Goff...
Anyway to get the filter to deny idiots typing ZZZZZZZzzzzz's at WPS threads?

Posted by: DadRyan | May 17, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

midfield still looks messy. defense better. all in all a surprisingly good result for me bec i expected boston to win.

Posted by: KG118 | May 17, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Wambach getting suspended for that challenge was bs. I was at the game and first was a little suspicious, however after watching it on replay you got to be kidding. The elbow on Singer looked unecessary, I am little disappointed no one came to stand up for their teammate.

Posted by: Dipssince78 | May 18, 2009 2:26 AM | Report abuse

I like when she got the yellow after the elbow she had a look on your face like "meh, I almost got away with it." Aspects of the commish's "message" to players and officials made some of the match suck. It didn't hurt the match anywhere near as much as that FieldTurf though. That stuff made Giants Stadium look good. It played inconsistent all over and I'm not sure the players knew which lines were the sideline half of the time.

Posted by: sitruc | May 18, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

What Godfather emoted.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 18, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

*McLeod's amazing save on Smith was the difference between tie and loss. Not a lot of difference between Smith's lash last night and Hucles' rocket at the Plex. There was a lot of difference between the pipes though.

*Allie Long has sick touch. Ditto Sawa.

*I'm disappointed that the US nats are not making more of a difference in games like last night.

*Singer is lucky that elbow caught her clavicle and not her nose or teeth. So is Latham.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 18, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

No one has yet commented on Goff's reference to "Tony Antonucci?"

Posted by: universityandpark | May 18, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Goff's just not on an entirely first-name basis with her, that's all.

Posted by: OWNTF | May 18, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

DiCicco, Antonucci, Loc: Tony, Toni, Tone.

270 is kicking it like the old schoolers.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | May 18, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rnsaxuz | May 17, 2009 8:58 PM
_________________________________________

Then why were you reading this in the first place? You must be a newbie, since you obviously don't understand the rules that Goff laid down when this blog was started: If you are not interested in the topic under discussion, you are perfectly welcome to skip over it. Evidently very few people who read this blog were interested in the news that the 'Quakes had signed Cornell Glen, but others felt no need to direct snide remarks to the few people who were interested, did they? In short, you don't have an issue with DadRyan, you have an issue with Goff. (Need I also point out that it was Goff who invited discussion of this match in the first place?)

Posted by: universityandpark | May 18, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Did somebody say Tone Loc?

"so I gave some to my dog, when he began to big
and then he licked his bowl and he looked at me
and did the wild thing on my leg
he used to scratch and bite me
before he was much much meaner
but now all the poodles run to my house for the funky cold medina"

Posted by: OWNTF | May 18, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

For this event I parked myself at Summers. (In a previous thread someone had mentioned that Freedom supporters would again be gathering a few blocks awat at Kitty O'Shea's, but I decided I could do without the cigarette smoke, among other things.) Summers didn't provide any audio for the first half, so I don't know what I missed in terms of FSC commentary. For instance, in addition to the artificial turf, did they mention that the pitch was narrow (it looked to be about 65 yards or so)? Did they say why Mitts was apparently lining up on the left, not her usual position? I didn't see either yellow card in that half; you shouldn't have to depend on audio for that. In one case, they showed the ref with a card in her hand, but inexplicably cut away before she shoved it in anyone's face. For some reason Summers cut the audio from one of the other TVs near us, and let us hear the play-by-play for the second half.

Posted by: universityandpark | May 18, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Mitts has been lining up on the "wrong" side for the Breakers all season. Not sure why, though.

We were at Kitty O'Sheas but never got any audio and didn't even get video for the first fifteen minutes because the person in charge of the TV couldn't find FSC. The supporters may be looking for a new venue after all.

Posted by: kevinwparker | May 18, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

========================

to make room for Alex Scott who is better at attacking from the right back position;

and perhaps Mitts also is more versatile, although I thought Allie Long was giving her fits last night

Posted by: OWNTF | May 18, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry you had to hear some commentary, universityandpark. I don't think they addressed any of the things in your post. They barely touched the field. I think one of the cards was on the sideline although I have no idea what DiCicco did and I have no clue what the other yellow was for. Maybe it was the second elbow that is being reviewed...

Posted by: sitruc | May 18, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse