A Few Minutes With Ben Olsen

D.C. United midfielder Ben Olsen has been sidelined since mid-May with a strained hamstring and hopes to return to the game-day roster next week, when the club visits Seattle and Colorado.

You've been officially upgraded from "out" to "questionable", Ben.....

"That's good to hear. No one told me! I've been doing some neutral stuff right now, on the outside with some training, slowly trying to incorporate me in. I feel like it's pretty close. There is still a little spot that is lingering, but my strength is good. Maybe this was a good thing for me. I never really had a preseason. It's always been, from Day One, me just kind of surviving and grinding things out. This has given the ankle a little rest and given me a chance to get strong, work on the hamstrings and quads and groins, the core, and do some things I haven't had a chance to do in a couple years. ... There is nothing I can't do right now; we're just being a little cautious, making sure that one spot has settled down and is ready to go into that next-level stuff. Obviously, sprinting and doing all these drills on the side, it's tough to really mimic what you do out there when you play."

You initially were injured a while back, sat out a couple games and then aggravated it. Is there some apprehension about possibly coming back too soon?

"After you re-do an injury, you always want to be a little careful, particularly with hamstrings. They seem to really nag. I was surprised because I don't run fast enough to pull a hamstring. [laughter] I was almost pleasantly surprised."

Much more with Olsen on the continuation of this thread.....

Do you think you'll travel with the club next week?

"Obviously I would love to be on that trip. I would think that is a realistic goal, but the trainer and the staff will talk and see if they need me and want me to go on the trip. We have a lot of games coming up so it is good timing for me to start coming back. We will need the numbers."

From the sideline, how would you assess the club the past few weeks?

"We're in good shape, for the most part. I hope we are not too satisfied where we are. We're a much better team than where we are and I hope we realize that. Sometimes it is easy to look at the situation right now very favorably -- yeah, we're doing okay -- especially considering last year. It's been a good turnover, but I hope we are not satisfied because we are as good as, if not better than, every team in this league right now. We have the potential to really be getting wins and racking up points and scoring a lot of goals. We need to keep pushing and getting better, but we have some time to do that."

By Steve Goff  |  June 9, 2009; 3:47 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Trades, Moves
Next: Freedom Acquires Krieger

Comments

You read these interview comments and your'e reminded again and again why people made those "Heart of a Lion" signs and why, if Jaime Moreno is the soul of DC United, then Ben Olsen is the heart. An incredible teammate to have.

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 9, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for getting back into the swing of things with the locals Steve!
Love Ya Benny!
I'd be so stoked if he could make it back in for the Seattle match, but I don't want to see him out there if he can't take it or isn't prepared to rub the Swede the wrong way.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 9, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear Benny's close to fit. Hopefully the extra work he's done with the other muscles and also the rest for his ankle contribute to keeping him fit for the rest of the season.

I can imagine we'll see quite a large rotation in those two games. You have Seattle on FieldTurf, then Colorado at altitude. Both teams play direct, physical soccer. Hopefully Soehn's minute juggling will really pay off and we can bank some points on the road.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 9, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

WHY don't I have an Olsen jersey!

Oh yeah, because I'm waiting to get his name and #14 on the back of my national team jersey.

Posted by: vivzig | June 9, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Quick, everyone sacrifice a goat for Ben's return!

Posted by: KireDCU | June 9, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, dude is everything any fan for any team could ever want from a player.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 9, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'd just like to say, if they pull another Salt Lake or New England, Benny will open up a big can of whoop ass on their eardrums. Then Soehn will sing a personal composition entitled, "I agree," accompanied by Wicks playing washboard on his teeth.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 9, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 9, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

LOL!...?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 9, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

While I love seeing Benny play the game, I look forward to the time when he's United's assistant coach (or head coach) and puts his fire into everyone else's belly. I enjoyed seeing that in Stoichkov and Nowak (yeah, there were downsides, too) and I think Benny would drive the entire team to success on the sidelines and in practice. It drives Mrs. DrBeaker crazy that Tommy isn't as emotional on the sidelines as Nowak was, but I don't see Benny coaching the same way.

Posted by: DrBeaker | June 9, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

"Quick, everyone sacrifice a goat for Ben's return!"

As the SI's unofficial Army Chaplain, I'm afraid I'll have to shun the practice of goat sacrifices. I do however condone and enourage the sale of Blanco voo doo dolls for Saturday...

Posted by: dcarmy | June 9, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Amen.

Posted by: eadc | June 9, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Can we sacrifice a Chivas player instead?

Posted by: vivzig | June 10, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse