Bafana Bafana, Twellman, CONCACAF

*Bernard Parker, a 23-year-old forward with Red Star Belgrade, scored twice as South Africa, amid a cacophony of vuvuzelas, defeated New Zealand, 2-0, to move into second place in group play at the Confederations Cup. Spain leads with six points, Bafana Bafana has four, Iraq one and the Kiwis none heading into the final matchups Saturday (Spain vs. South Africa, Iraq vs. New Zealand).

*On the official MLS injury list, Revolution star Taylor Twellman is considered "out" with a neck injury and concussive symptoms. Last Tuesday, he was listed as "questionable" with a neck problem. Revs Coach Steve Nicol criticized an Insider report last week that said Twellman would be sidelined for many weeks.

*As CONCACAF finalizes plans for the Champions League preliminary stage, we're hearing that Salvadoran club Chalatenango will not be able to use its home grounds against D.C. United because there are no lights. The first leg will be played in Washington on July 28 (8 p.m.) and the return leg on Aug. 4, apparently at the national stadium, Estadio Cuscatlan, in San Salvador. Chalatenango is a town of 30,000 is northern El Salvador. July 28 is -- gasp! -- the day before the MLS All-Star Game in Salt Lake City. (Say it ain't so.) DCU's schedule will look like this: July 25 at San Jose, July 28 in Washington for CL, Aug. 1 at Houston, Aug. 4 in El Salvador and Aug. 9 in Landover vs. Real Madrid.

By Steve Goff  |  June 17, 2009; 4:57 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Confederations Cup , D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McTavish's Cause
Next: North Korea Going to World Cup

Comments

Any reason a Salvadoran team couldn't play a home match at Estadio RFK?

Posted by: JkR- | June 17, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOO! South Africa is promoting that awful thing!!!??!?!?

They should be ban them, not promote them. In fact, the Confed Cup was a test run for South Africa -- I say they've failed solely based on that. USA'10.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

OMFG...I can't believe I might have to watch the entire 2010 World Cup on mute.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 17, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree. I hate those horns. I really wanted to listen to the Confed. Cup games but had to put it on mute after a few minutes. sooo annoying. I hate watching games on mute too, unless I'm at a bar, so what usually ends up happening is I don't watch the game - just wait for the highlights. FIFA, ESPN, et al - if you know what's good for you and TV ratings, ban those dang horns!

Posted by: nairbsod | June 17, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I really hate the fact that you can't even tell if a team's fans are there -- when a goal is scored, there is no audible reaction.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Vuvuzela my foot! At the next Freedom match, I'm going to sit in the parking lot and honk my horn for 90'.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I will be in El Salvador from July 16-August 17. SWEET! I may be missing the Real game, but I'll go to see this game! OH YEAH!

Posted by: jgadala | June 17, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

... but the perverse part of me wants Australia to host the World Cup so I can hear 20,000 fans playing didgeridoos.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

One of the cool things about "Burn Notice" is that I've learned how to put a bullet through an engine block, disabling the car permanently.

Bet it works on car horns, too.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 17, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Chalatenango, that's my mom's hometown!

Posted by: PEddy | June 17, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

If there were a school for learning those horns in Caracas, would it be the

Escuela Vuvuzela de Venezuela?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I say go the opposite route. Not only let them blow their horns and what not but also give them....

Thundersticks

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 17, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I remember horns similar to the vuvuzela at indoor soccer matches in the 1980s. Wisely, perhaps, they have disappeared. While they're a staple of SA football, microphone placement also plays a part. I'm hopeful that the audio feeds for WC 2010 will emphasize fans over horns.

Posted by: Modibo | June 17, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

... thereby transforming South Africa into a country of American 9-year-olds.

Posted by: Kenobi | June 17, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"Revs Coach Steve Nicol criticized an Insider report last week that said Twellman would be sidelined for many weeks."
OH SHNAP!!!!

Posted by: dsheon1 | June 17, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't have to have it on mute, but I did today, and was disappointed when my curiousity lead me to turn the sound on after the first goal and there was no difference in what I heard. My goodness people, put the thing down and let out a "WHOOO"...

Joedoc has learned how to shut up I-270's car horn (funny story about that*), I've learned how to sneak in the three ingredients to make flash/smoke bombs into the stadium.

*My uncle actually wired my Dad's car horn to the brake pedal when my parents where married. On their way from the reception to the house (about 30 miles), any time they hit the brakes, they hit the horn.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 17, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean Nicol is shunning Goff?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 17, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

July 28 is -- gasp! -- the day before the MLS All-Star Game in Salt Lake City. (Say it ain't so.) .....

By Steve Goff | June 17, 2009; 4:57 PM ET
-----------------------------------------------

Fortunately, thanks to the unbiased voting by fans in Seattle, almost the entire All-Star lineup will consist of Sounders players. I'm guessing that, given the CCL match, no DCU players will be added to the roster. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy watching the Sounders play...who is it they're playing this year? Leeds? Real Zaragoza? Strømsgodset?

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

You have to give FIFA credit, they sure can fix a draw and create a friendly group for the host when they wish. I do hope those horns cease at some point. It's like a bad laugh track on happy days.

Steve Nicol's a good coach but when someone's having dizzy spells you would think you'd want that person to take a long time before returning to service.

Posted by: hacksaw | June 17, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who doesn't mind those horns? My family all can't stand them, my friends can't stand them, no one here can stand them, but I really don't mind them at all! It actually just reminds me of a game in Central America. Those horns are going nonstop there, too. As US fans, we should be used to it by now.

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 17, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind the horns, I just prefer singing. That's part of what made the early game so enjoyable to me.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 17, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

They're a part of SA football? Fine, let them have them at SA games.

Any other games, ban them. And have so much as having one on the premises be punishable by jail time.

Everyone I got to watch the confed cup that wasn't a normal football fan has vowed to not watch again because of that awful cacaphony.

Posted by: AshburnUnited | June 17, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Nicol has been in Gillette Stadium too long. He's beginning to think he is Bill Belichick.

Posted by: sitruc | June 17, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I think it is time they admitted SN to the looney farm!

Posted by: Barracudas | June 17, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

zinger! sitruc!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 17, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kdiff813

So far, yes, you are the only one. And those @#$!#@$#@ things have been banned in a lot of stadiums.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

When Estadio RFK banned those frikkin' horns a few years ago I cheered like United had scored a winning goal. Those horns are disturbing to listen to at a distance. Just think how it felt having someone blast it in your ear the entire match. Here's hoping the networks tone down the audience mic for the World Cup games if that's all we're going to hear.

Posted by: DrBeaker | June 17, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm really disappointed to read that the vuvuzela has legitimate cultural roots in the traditional horn used to call villagers together. I would be TOTALLY against it, but if it's a legit cultural expression of some sort, that makes it harder to hate. Or harder to ban anyway.

I wonder if FIFA considered this in the selection process when choosing S.Africa?

Posted by: WorldCup | June 17, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

I hear Red Star is in some financial trouble, could it be possible for that DC United might go after him?

Posted by: soccerglue | June 17, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks again to the idiot MLS schedule makers. Incompetence is probably the nicest word that comes to mind.

Posted by: FAkeemail9875 | June 17, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I heard that FIFA wanted to ban them (for weapon reasons also) but that South Africa got them allowed back in claiming it was "part of their footballing tradition"

The are THE most annoying thing i have ever heard during a football match. Other than Tommy Smyth I can't ever remember being bothered by the noise from a football match before

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | June 18, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Those horns have been around for ages. They were big at NASL games in the 1970's. I think the vuvuzela-ists would say, "If it's too loud, you're too old".

Still, I'd rather just hear the voices of the crowd.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 18, 2009 6:47 AM | Report abuse