Barcelona-MLS Doubleheader

The day before arch-nemesis Real Madrid faces D.C. United at FedEx Field, Euro champion FC Barcelona will play the final game of its three-match U.S. tour at San Francisco's Candlestick Park as part of a doubleheader with an MLS match, organizers announced today.

The date is Sat., Aug. 8. The matchups are Barcelona vs. Chivas (Mexico) and the San Jose Earthquakes vs. Columbus Crew.

Barca will also face the Los Angeles Galaxy on Aug. 1 at the Rose Bowl and the Seattle Sounders on Aug. 5 at Qwest Field.

By Steve Goff  |  June 17, 2009; 12:57 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , Mexico , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Despite Pain, Spain Gains
Next: McTavish's Cause

Comments

Candlestick Park is still standing? I thought it had been torn down...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 17, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Monster Park. Grr.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope MLS enjoys padding its attendance report when 70,000 fans beat down the doors to see San Jose play Columbus.

Posted by: Pedalada | June 17, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Candlestick Park is still standing? I thought it had been torn down...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 17, 2009 1:24 PM |
------------------------------------------------

Really? The baseball team moved out years ago, but the 40ers still play there. Still looking for a new site for a new stadium.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Bummer, when I saw the SF headline I thought PacBell Park, where I would definitely attend. Candlestick...not so much. More of a pain in arse to get to for a city dweller. Kind of like going to a game at Qwest versus going out to the Dallas burbs. Well, you know what I mean.

Posted by: EssEff | June 17, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

EssEff, at least Candlestick is within the city limits. Does the new Third street rail take you out there?

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 17, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully "the organizers" will be smart enough to put Crew-Quakes first on the bill.

Posted by: BaltoFan | June 17, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

And PacBell is now AT&T Park :)

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedalada | June 17, 2009 1:27 PM

I think they will be beating down the doors on their way out - once the Barcelona/Chivas match ends. :-\

Posted by: Kev29 | June 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

How many stadiums has the new version of San Jose used? They were planning to use several depending on the likely appeal of the game and I believe also to market the team to a wider area.

Have they used anything besides Buck Shaw and the Oakland A's stadium so far?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 17, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

"but the 40ers still play there."

Apparently named after the Pyrite Rush of 1840

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane, if you include preseason they've also played at PAL (or something along those lines) stadium in San Jose and Kezar Stadium in San Francisco.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 17, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"but the 40ers still play there."

Apparently named after the Pyrite Rush of 1840

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2009 4:07 PM |
-----------------------------------------------

Cut a brother some slack for a typo....

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the T does go there, but with the help of a shuttle. Just annoying...even for Barca. Guess I'm lazy.

Quakes also had a friendly at Kezar stadium in SF, the old (first?) home of the 49ers. A beautiful stadium in the heart of SF. Only has a small lower bowl, but if they could redo that place, it would be the perfect soccer stade. NIMBYs wouldn't have it due to traffic, but still. Right at the end of Haight St., near Golden Gate Park. And, most importantly, just up the street from my house! :-) I can dream....like I'll do tomorrow at 6:55am pst.

Posted by: EssEff | June 17, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Coworker just said her husband is helping Barca get an iconic SF view for a little training session. Looks like Crissie Field for a light jog. Who me? Stalk? Naw.

Posted by: EssEff | June 17, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse