Beware of the Barons

For the second straight week, the Ocean City Barons, a fourth-tier, amateur PDL team from the Jersey Shore, has upset a club from USL2 (professional, third tier) in the U.S. Open Cup tournament.

Their reward: a round-of-16 meeting with reigning champion D.C. United at Maryland SoccerPlex in Montgomery County on June 30.

The Barons, at home, converted a penalty kick in overtime to defeat Real Maryland, 1-0, tonight. Last week they stunned Crystal Palace Baltimore, 3-0. Most of Ocean City's players are in college or just out of high school; a few have non-soccer careers and play in their spare time. OC offered to buy the round-of-16 hosting rights from United, but citing an already hectic summer travel schedule, DCU declined.

Video from Ocean City-Real Maryland.

Elsewhere, former DCU midfielder Rod Dyachenko had a goal and two assists in USL1 Minnesota's 4-0 rout of fourth-tier Chicago and USL2 Wilmington (N.C.) upset USL1 Carolina on PKs after a 3-3 tie. Check the complete scoreboard here.

By Steve Goff  |  June 16, 2009; 11:12 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. in Washington
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

Sweet, I'll be there and hoping for a goal frenzy!

Posted by: GoUnited | June 16, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

love a good game at the soccerplex.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 16, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

whoa. dyachenko did something . . .

Posted by: Konoha7 | June 16, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

No derby. :(

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

I checked the scoreboard. Rod Dyachenko had 2 assists. NO goals, though.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Any idea when these tickets will go onsale?

Posted by: soccerfan80 | June 17, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Should we expect the usual overpriced tickets?

Posted by: sitruc | June 17, 2009 2:19 AM | Report abuse

The real concern should be whether Freedom's Beer Garden will be open for business for this Cup game.

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 17, 2009 5:40 AM | Report abuse

let's show some love to the Harrisburg City Islanders. They are on to the next round and a date with the New England Revs. Go Islanders! http://www.usopencup.com/secondround/339791.html

Posted by: lrg1231 | June 17, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

While the local derby would have been cool, you gotta give it up for the Barons. It sure would be nice if tix were reasonably priced, and someone wanted to give me a ride...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 17, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Temple senior J.T. Noone (pronounced noon not no one) is a confident, strong forward. He's potentially, a 1st (probably 2nd)rounder in next year's MLS draft.

Posted by: J_S_F | June 17, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

dadryan...

meet me at vienna metro east side at 5 and I will give you a ride to the soccerplex...

wear one red shoe on your right foot...so I know who you are...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | June 17, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the Ocean City Barons (again).

At least Real Maryland didn't get their heads handed to them like my Crsytal Palace Baltimore (I'm still fuming about that debacle).

I was expecting more from both of Maryland's professional teams.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 17, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

B4G: If I can swing the ticket price, I might take you up on that ride my man. I'll be the guy with black and red checked vans on both feet...:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 17, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

With that incredibly lousy PK call that ref must be auditioning for a job with MLS :)

Posted by: churtmah | June 17, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Wow, ugly game in Austin. 4 players tossed.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

dadryan

feel free to email me at my wash post name at yahoo dot com

wouldn't it be funny if we knew each other...already

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | June 17, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

POLL: Which non-MLS team escapes the third round on 6/30? The NW & TX derbies should be good games!

Harrisburg City Islanders (USL-2) at New England Revolution (MLS)
Veterans Stadium - New Britain, CT | 7 p.m.

Ocean City Barons (PDL) at D.C. United (MLS)
Maryland Soccerplex - Boyds, MD | 7:30 p.m.

Chicago Fire (MLS) at Wilmington Hammerheads (USL-2)
Legion Stadium - Wilmington, NC | 7 p.m.

Chivas USA (MLS) at Charleston Battery (USL-1)
Blackbaud Stadium - Charleston, SC | 7:30 p.m.

Columbus Crew (MLS) at Rochester Rhinos (USL-1)
Marina Auto Stadium - Rochester, NY | 7 p.m.

Kansas City Wizards (MLS) at Minnesota Thunder (USL-1)
National Sports Center - Blaine, MN | 8:05 p.m.

Houston Dynamo (MLS) at Austin Aztex (USL-1)
Nelson Field - Austin, TX | 8:30 p.m.

Seattle Sounders F.C. (MLS) at Portland Timbers (USL-1)
PGE Park - Portland, OR | 10 p.m.

Posted by: Pedalada | June 17, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow, ugly game in Austin. 4 players tossed.

Posted by: Reignking | June 17, 2009 9:41 AM |
-----------------------------------------------

I saw one Azteks game on FSC, to get a look at Lyle Adams. On that field, I think "ugly game" would describe every match.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Man that game in Portland sure will be full of excitement in the stands, wonder if it'll be a test on the field? Anyone else expecting some violence inside and outside PGE Park?

That should end up on USL Live for free right?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 17, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan and bonghits car-pooling. No engine problems, but the car will go Up In Smoke.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

probably somewhere on I-270.... around exit 1..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | June 17, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

also...

i don't own a bong mine..

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | June 17, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

@Dadryan -- If they do the same as they did last year, all the games hosted by USL-1 sides (Charleston, Rochester, Minnesota, Austin, and Portland) should be on USLlive.com. That Northwest derby should be epic.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 17, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Definitely will be planning to watch the second half of the Seattle/Portland match on usllive.com after I get home from the Plex.

I also like Harrisburg and Charleston's chances. They are routinely good Open Cup teams.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 17, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think it is ironic that DC United is playing the whole spectrum of soccer opponents this summer going from playing a OC, NJ amateur team in June to Real Madrid in August.

Posted by: kstyles7 | June 17, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse