D.C. in Washington

D.C. United just wrapped up a 75-minute workout on artificial turf at Starfire Sports Complex in Tukwila, south of Seattle. Twenty of 24 players made the trip for the matches against the Sounders tomorrow and Rapids on Saturday in Denver. The exceptions were Jaime Moreno (hamstring injury), John DiRaimondo and Anthony Peters (on loan with USL2 Richmond), and Louis Crayton, who has dropped to No. 3 on the goalkeeping depth chart and seems likely to be waived or traded in the coming weeks.

Several players at today's session, including Christian Gomez, were sporting treatment wraps on knees and upper legs. However, only Moreno is on the official injury list.

Tomorrow's match will begin at 10:30 p.m. ET, but ESPN2's coverage actually begins with a pregame show at 10 p.m. With JP Dellacamera and John Harkes on Confederations Cup duty, Glenn Davis and Kyle Martino will be in the broadcast booth and Allen Hopkins on the sideline.

Back in D.C., club officials report that ticket sales for the United-Real Madrid friendly Aug. 9 at FedEx Field are approaching 22,000 and that, with the lower bowl almost full, upper-deck seats will be made available later this week. In Baltimore, promoters say more than 60,000 tickets have been sold for the AC Milan-Chelsea exhibition July 24 at 71,000-seat M&T Bank Stadium. (The Baltimore game was announced long before the Real Madrid tour.)

By Steve Goff  |  June 16, 2009; 6:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA World Bid Venues
Next: Beware of the Barons

Comments

Looks like Upper Deck for me...

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 16, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Uggh I hate Martino. How did that prick get a job at ESPN?

Posted by: GoUnited | June 16, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't actually mind Martino as the color guy. Also, I think Glen Davis does a better job than Dellacamera. Also, Martino won't say absolutely about 500 times.

Posted by: jmingus | June 16, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mjhoya12 | June 16, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Martino was easily hated as a player, GoUnited (at UVa and then in MLS), but he actually does a respectable job as a color analyst. I'm not sure I agree with jmingus on Davis vs. Dellacamera, but I did find myself extremely frustrated during the US-Italy game due to the near-constant talk about Luca Toni (who was brought up more often than most of the players on either team, despite not coming on until late).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 16, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I wish this game was on teh local broadcast outlets instead. I could sit there and curse the hated Greg Vanney as he does the Seattle telecast, then ogle that hot blonde they got doing their halftime shows. She is smokin' in HD!

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | June 16, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Goff has been waiting 18 months for that post title

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 16, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Ocean City Barons won in US Open Cup over Real Maryland and will face DCU at Soccerplex on June 30.

Posted by: Jedi65 | June 16, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Goff has been waiting 18 months for that post title

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

Sure sign of an active brain. Beware Steve, this causes hair loss.

Remind me again folks, the team is the Seattle Ferries, right? So what are the fans called?

Vamos United!

Posted by: KireDCU | June 16, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Okay, after the last comment I feel compelled to give the Seattle fans their due. If more teams had the support that fan base is giving American soccer would be in a lot better shape.

IMHO, the Seattle fans are part of solution to growing the sport in the US of A. kudos to them.

Posted by: KireDCU | June 16, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

OT, but this headline had me curious:
Posted by: mjhoya12
==============

Bad idea - He squad has only one sub on the bench.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Seattle Ferries...
They love loading the Geoducks through the back door?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

that true about the OCB coming to the Plex?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry "Bogle"

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

ever tell you about my time playing in a garage surf band 270?
RIP Bogle!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

DCU fans and Goff:
Welcome to the Pacific Northwest. When the Sounders were announced as joining the league, I said goodbye to supporting DCU and wished you well after about four years. I am loving having a local team to support and have attended all games - it's amazing! Glad to see that your season is back up to where you (and I) expect United to be. Here's to a great game!
Sounders till I die!

Posted by: brew1b | June 16, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmingus | June 16, 2009 7:09 PM |
------------------------------------------------

Absolutely, jm

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jedi65 | June 16, 2009 9:38 PM |
------------------------------------------------

While it's cool to see a team like the Barons get the chance to play United, I was looking forward to a DC-area derby. Just so I could say derby, with an "a". Bummer.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Harkes, he is a pretty good analyst, but I wonder why he adopted the dreary monotone? During the US-Italy game he had some good things to say but he sounded like he was just plain bored.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 17, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd be bummed to see Crayton go. I like him and trust him in goal. I thought he did a great job. He salvaged our season last year when he came in for that other guy, and he got us off to a great start this year.

I think he's better than Kocic. Plus, with wicks limping around against Chicago, I'd hate to see him go. He is worth the salary.

Posted by: WorldCup | June 17, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

ever tell you about my time playing in a garage surf band 270?
Posted by: DadRyan
===============

I can actually imagine you ripping off some licks on a Strat with the amp's reverb on 11.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 17, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

YES!!! We don't have to deal with Harkes tonight! That dude just bugs me. And I thought Davis/Martino did a great job last time (for the DCU-Pink Cow game, I think?). Hopefully, this pair will replace the other pair. Or at least Martino will replace Harkes. JP is fine, but Harkes should have ended his soccer career when he retired from playing.

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 17, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

MY biggest problem has been JP Dellacamera; I can't stand his vacuous commentary. Just being able to pronounce foreign names doesn't cut it. I am forced to use my MUTE button most of the game; how about you?

Posted by: bechtoldpk | June 17, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse