Emilio, Soehn Talk About Incident

Last Thursday, after being replaced in the second half against New York, D.C. United's Luciano Emilio kicked a set of water bottles onto the field and received a red card, sidelining him for this Saturday's showdown against first-place Chicago at RFK.

I will have a full story on the Post's Web site tonight and in tomorrow's print editions, but for now, a few excerpts about the incident.....

Emilio: "I was a little bit frustrated. I thought we could still score a goal in the second half. I thought we were opening up more. But the coach thought it better to pull me out of the game. That brought on a little frustration on my part."

"We talked about this situation, and I think now everything is okay. This happens in every country, every team."

"I have never done that. It was my first time. For me, it was not a good action and situation. I don't want to do it anymore. ... Everyone wants to play all the time, wants to enjoy the 90 minutes, but we have a lot of forwards and the coach thinks what is best for us. Sometimes I am under pressure because everybody is waiting for me, waiting because of the Golden Boot, MVP, everything I have to do. If I have more time to score goals and play good, it's important for the team and important for me."

On a lighter note.....

"My foot is okay; the bottles, I don't think so."

For Coach Tom Soehn's pointed thoughts, keep reading this thread.....

Soehn: "Everything's fine. In the heat of the moment, obviously things transpired that were unacceptable. He understands it and we move on."

"I haven't seen it done before [a red card for such actions], but when the water bottles went onto the field, they had to stop the game, so I don't disagree with the decision."

"In general, forwards go through stretches where there is pressure on them and when they are not scoring, they get frustrated. People handle it in different ways. Unfortunately, he handled it in the wrong way."

By Steve Goff  |  June 9, 2009; 1:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United News & Notes
Next: MLS Trades, Moves

Comments

I personally think it is good to see that Emilio has the passion/desire to score goals and to compete for the golden boot yet again.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | June 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad they hugged it out.

Posted by: sitruc | June 9, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear that it was just a one off and that Emilio knows it was a bad decision. I also find it refreshing to know that our players are under tangible pressure; too often in MLS, star players just have to show up in time for kickoff to start. I'm glad DCU has enough going for it that even a guy like Emilio feels some heat. Hopefully he'll come back from suspension, bang in a few goals, and we can all look back and laugh at this.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 9, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Coaches might handle their star players in different ways to, I'm guessing. Emilio still leads the team in goals (without taking the PKs), points and shots on goal. I wouldn't give him the Crayton treatment in the press just yet.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 9, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I was quite vocal at the time about Emilio's actions being unacceptable. Personally, I think this is a quite sufficient mea culpa, and I am very glad to see that he's taking this kind of an attitude. I'm confident it's isolated, and I'm also confident that it'll help drive him to score more. I think it's interesting that he feels so much pressure from his previous awards to live up to them, but at the same time I would prefer to hear something like "There's the personal award pressure, but the biggest pressure I feel is to win MLSCup/SupShield/Champion's League/Open Cup, and I am doing my best to help this team do that." Then again, perhaps that goes without saying.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | June 9, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Any chance they could appeal the red card, which as Soehn suggested he had never seen before? We could use a hungry Luci against Chicago this weekend.

Posted by: cjholden15 | June 9, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Thats a good point. Emilio really did not use any violent conduct/language which I think he got his ejection for. It happens all the time in MLB - pitchers who are frustrated go back to the dugout and flip over coolers/bats. Just give him a fine and appeal the red card.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | June 9, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I am on record as saying this was nothing and at the very least an attitude worth commending. He acted like a child and I don't like the way he responded but I like that he wants to be on the field. I had a feeling he was just upset about coming out. I thought he was opening up a bit also when they brought him out.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 9, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"My foot is okay; the bottles, I don't think so."
---------------------------

someone explain to me how that isn't the DC United quote of the year.

Posted by: adamsunited | June 9, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

No point in appealing the suspension. It would be instantly rejected, especially since Emilio already had a caution, hurt any future appeals and generally make DCU look crazy.

No comment on Emilio's um, explanation, but I'm sure like me he'll enjoy the full 90 Saturday. I hope the team responds to all this by dedicating the first 70 minutes to Emilio. Maybe he'll decide that IS enough time to contribute something.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 9, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if he'll pull a Gomez and hang out in the stands with the fans.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 9, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad they hugged it out.

Posted by: sitruc | June 9, 2009 1:41 PM

I wonder if he'll pull a Gomez and hang out in the stands with the fans.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 9, 2009 2:36 PM

+1 on both of these

As for the MLB precedent, I don't want to copy them on anything. MLS is right to set a high standard.

Posted by: Pedalada | June 9, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I think what Emilio will see is that he may be more effective as a sub, or tired from lots of minutes . . . Gomez seems to relish his role as a sub and has been very effective . . . Emilio might be surprised at how Silu and Party Boy Pontius, or Tino will do especially if we can get high energy and an early finish from one of them .

It's time to unleash the hounds on Chicago . .

Posted by: delantero | June 9, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

No point in appealing the decision. It was a yellow (second) card. Perhaps the "official" designation should have been delay of game or game disrepute instead of abusive language but I can't really see any objections for a player's fit of anger delaying the game and thus receiving a yellow card.

At least, as some others have said before, Emilio will see this isn't the way to get into the game.

Posted by: diego_r | June 9, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if he'll pull a Gomez and hang out in the stands with the fans.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 9, 2009 2:36 PM
=======================================

He can pull a Gomez. Just not a hamstring.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 9, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice Emilio making a run on Quaranta's goal? He was a couple steps behind Quaranta and might have had a chance to get to the ball if Quaranta hadn't. During the replay Emilio's head goes back in what I would call a look of frustration. Also, he is the closest to Quaranta when he scored but one of the only team members not in the group celebration. His team just took a 1-0 lead against our "rival" and he is upset because of his stats. The 2nd half did open up, and one could have easily predicted another goal would be scored. So he acted like a spoiled baby when his chance to make his stats look good again was taken away.

Posted by: Nate8 | June 9, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Surprised no one's called him out for being selfish, getting a red, and thereby taking our best scoring threat out of a crucial matchup with the first place team.

Posted by: jbfromfc | June 9, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"My foot is okay; the bottles, I don't think so."
---------------------------

someone explain to me how that isn't the DC United quote of the year.

Posted by: adamsunited | June 9, 2009 2:14 PM
--------------------------

No one will explain how because it's simply impossible. That may be the MLS quote of the year.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 9, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

@diego_r: It wasn't a second yellow, it was a straight red. Look at the MLS match tracker and compare it to say the Seattle game where Jaqua picked up his red card for two yellows. They use a little yellow/red symbol to delineate between accumulated cards or straight reds...

Yes he was selfish, but this isn't a champions league final, and I'm sure he'll be plenty disappointed in himself having to sit one out. I'm sure he'll come back feeling he owes the team something.

I'm sure he's feeling some pressure, but some seem to think the dude has been having a drought, which I think is pretty strange considering he had an assist in the loss to New England and a goal in the game vs Chivas... I wish he'd score at least once a game myself, but I think Emilio has looked better this year than last, and I'd even say he's gotten a bit quicker, and also working harder as well as snapping off some shots with a little more quickness this season. I'm sure a game off isn't going to hurt him. In fact he'll probably be the only player smart enough to wear turf shoes in Seattle and I'm predicting a hat trick up there in a couple weeks!!!Yeah!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 9, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

No questions that was a justified red card. You simply cannot behave like that. I am glad he didn't try to shirk the blame. Like it's been said DC United has lots of forwards. Time for one (or more) to step up and take the challenge.

Posted by: tundey | June 9, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorry he did it. Glad he got mad. Show some fire in the belly! I bet he nets at least one his next time on the pitch.

Posted by: vivzig | June 9, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I find the new Gatorade marketing campaign pretty irritating, too.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 9, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Emilio is elite. He needs to act like it. Very disappointed in him. We will need a miracle against Chicago now. I hope Soehn plays for the tie. A point against Chicago without Emilio would be a decent result.

Posted by: alan19 | June 10, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I've occasionally seen Robbie Keane storm off the field in Tottenham games before when he gets subbed out as well, and it seems with Keano to be a case of a leader wanting to leave everything on the field.

If it's a purely a case of chasing that second goal, then more power to Luci. If he's pissy about Tino poaching the first goal, well he *is* a striker. I'm not too worried.

Posted by: M__N | June 10, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Poached? Tino made a hell of a run from the midfield and out-hustled the "sticker". And if Emilio had got the goal, I bet he would have done some selfish celebration compared running directly to Fred and giving him the props he deserved for making it happen. Emilio is a great talent and so are a lot of other athletes that become cancers to a team.

Posted by: Nate8 | June 10, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse