Fred Sidelined

D.C. United midfielder Fred, who departed last night's match at Seattle in the first half, is not injured as badly as the club feared, General Manager Dave Kasper said today. However, the Brazilian's adductor strain (groin area) will sideline him for Saturday's game at Colorado and likely keep him out of U.S. Open Cup action on June 30.

The goal, Kasper said, is to have him ready for the July 4 league match at Columbus. "He's doing pretty well," Kasper said. "It's not as bad as we thought. He's walking around. We've got a couple weeks ahead of us, so we'll see how quickly he recuperates."

Forward Jaime Moreno (hamstring) will miss his second straight game Saturday.

On the goalkeeping front, veteran Louis Crayton, who has slipped to No. 3 on the depth chart, appears to be on the way out in the next week or so. Kasper wouldn't comment on Crayton specifically, but said the club "is pleased with Josh [Wicks] and encouraged by Milos [Kocic], and that will be taken into consideration" if United decides to make a roster change.

Crayton's contract, which pays about $170,000, expires at the end of this month. The club could offer him a new deal at a much lower salary, but with little chance of him receiving playing time, such a move seems unlikely. He could be traded or waived, allowing him to sign in USL (if he wants to remain in the States) or back in Europe. (Crayton has Liberian and Swiss citizenship.)

Not sure if I have shared this tidbit before, but in the trade that brought Wicks to DCU from Los Angeles, United agreed to relinquish a third- or fourth-round draft pick, depending on his number of appearances. Not a bad deal for a unheralded keeper who has rescued DCU repeatedly the past month and secured the starting job.

I will have much more about United at the midway point of the league calendar in Saturday's print edition (available online Friday).

By Steve Goff  |  June 18, 2009; 6:57 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

It's a shame about Crayton. He seems to be very likable and has been totally professional about what's happened here. His excitement after the Open Cup win is going to stick with me for a long time.

That said, DC really has no choice. He makes way too much money to keep if he's not the unquestioned starter. At this point, you could possibly debate that he's been better than Kocic, but he's not going to improve; Kocic will, and costs much less.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 18, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Any chance Crayton would be a serviceable LCB?

Posted by: alecw81 | June 18, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 18, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Exactly my thoughts. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family. He is simply a class act.

Posted by: GoUnited | June 18, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I remember the Open Cup Championship game. He was jumping all over. He has been very classy and is at least partly responsible for pushing Wicks.
Having said that, I hope we can trade him and grab a forward to come off the bench.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 18, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that no-one posted a link to last night's match report.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

If the Galaxy didn't already have Ricketts I would take Crayton. I think the Lalas curse is still on LA. We get players, they play like absolute trash, then we ship them off somewhere else where they become starters.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 18, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Like all of you, I was quickly won over by Crayton's enthusiasm. He does seem like a great guy, and I hope he lands in a good situation. I know he wanted to come over here -- and I believe he has a home in Tampa? Perhaps, he will be satisfied playing for the new Tampa Bay Rowdies next year? Maybe, he could get a temporary contract through the end of this season.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

@I-270 -- Thank you, at least, for not Rick-Rolling us.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I would never Rickroll you, but I might do this.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | June 18, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Can we make Crayton a coach or... Something? I'd really like to keep him around, so long as he doesn't count against our cap.

Posted by: B_A_ | June 18, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I bet if you stuck him in a radio booth with Limarzi, that thing would get destroyed twice a game. I bet that I'd be all for it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 18, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

IF they wake up Torontonians will get up severely hungover w a strong Nutria aftertaste in their mouths tomorrow.

They had to go to Montreal and win by 4 goals to win the case of Nutria Beverage and the berth in the Concacaf Champions Cup. They conceded the opening goal and then rallied to win 6-1 and advance to the Jack Warner Classic.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Please, as I've said before it can't be Nutria beverage, as a nutria is a large, semi-acquatic rodent. Any drink made from a nutria is bound to taste worse than Red Bull.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 19, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Gomez, DON"T get injured. You're the only real playmaker we've got right now.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 19, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 19, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | June 19, 2009 2:08 AM | Report abuse

OT. Reignking: yep, this is it. Truly sad to leave for many reasons, but appropriate to this gathering is that two young U.S. hotshots are now playing here. Kamani Hill signed with Guimaraes and Greg Garza (u-18) is in the Sporting academy. Going to hate to miss the Algarve Cup next year....

Posted by: troy6 | June 19, 2009 4:44 AM | Report abuse

Lame ESPN statement. Got me to thinking though...I'll bet the ESPN suits are saying to each other, "Wow, what a great CWS game. Look how many people tuned in towards the end to catch that riveting contest!" when it was really soccer fans waiting for DCU-Seattle.

And that Seattle Times site looks a lot like WashPost. I thought WP had designed their own site, but apparently it is off the shelf software.

Posted by: troy6 | June 19, 2009 4:49 AM | Report abuse