Freedom Acquires Krieger

The Washington Freedom has completed the acquisition of defender-midfielder Ali Krieger, a member of the U.S. national team player pool who was unable to join the WPS club at the start of the season because of her contract with German team FFC Frankfurt. The Freedom and Frankfurt agreed to a loan deal, but because of German federation complications, she had to move on a transfer. The fee was not disclosed. At the end of the WPS season, she will be transferred back to Frankfurt.

Krieger, who is from Northern Virginia and starred at Penn State, arrived in Washington last night, is scheduled to participate in her first workout tomorrow and, pending U.S. and WPS clearance, is expected to be available for Saturday's match against Chicago at RFK Stadium. The 24-year-old was sidelined with a foot injury this past season but returned to training with Frankfurt last month. She seems likely to start at right back for the Freedom (3-3-3).

Meantime, starting midfielder Lori Lindsey, who missed Sunday's 3-1 loss at first-place Los Angeles with an illness, might not be healthy enough to play this weekend, Coach Jim Gabarra said.

By Steve Goff  |  June 9, 2009; 4:58 PM ET
Categories:  Freedom , Germany
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Minutes With Ben Olsen
Next: Wednesday Kickaround

Comments

Now we run.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 9, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Good news.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Awesome news! We shouldn't hear a whole lot more about how slow our defense is.

Posted by: kevinwparker | June 9, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised to see her in a central midfield role. Push Sawa up.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 9, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping this was going to happen when she 'tweeted' that she would be back in the US in 4 days! So excited!

Posted by: soccerfan80 | June 9, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Next question though - is who do they drop to make room for her? I doubt Krieger would take a development spot, so my guess is Zimmeck? Even though Zimmeck is a forward she has seen almost zero playing time (biggest chunk being in the very first match when she got subbed before half time) and she is just too slow. Also Gaberra seems to enjoy using midfielders as forwards instead of Zimmeck.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | June 9, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

That must be some illness Lori L. has to keep her out of two matches a week apart.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 9, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

The freedom really missed Lori L last match in LA.

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | June 9, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the Lakers and Magic midway thru the 4th quarter. There must be some kind of technical glitch because they're not scrolling the US Open Cup scores along the bottom of the screen.

Open Cup scoreboard:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 9, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Interesting Joel. I'm not up to date, but does that result open up a possibility for the Portland Timbers to face the Sounders in the Open Cup? That'll be pretty interesting.

I am looking forward myself into figuring out HOW THE HELL I'm gonna get up to the Plex for the imminent USL2 Locals vs DCU...

Open Cup is pretty cool man.. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the scoreboard. I liked the 3 Send offs for Atlanta against Charleston, that must have been a bear of a game to officiate.

Posted by: Wyrm1 | June 10, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Here we are in year X of the DCU stadium saga, yet out in the middle of America there is none other than "Middlefield Cheese Stadium - Bedford, Ohio"

We are *so* missing out...Though shouldn't that stadium really be in Wisconsin?

Posted by: 22206no1 | June 10, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

I am curious to know if Frankfurt got any cash. May Krieger had to do a buyout sort of situation which the Freedom will deduct from her wages (I don't know if that is a FIFA no-no). Or maybe Frankfurt got a bunch of Pumas gear and soccer balls (mirroring the MLS-USL transfer "deals").

Any guesses when is the Freedom-FFC Frankfurt friendly is going to be announced???

Posted by: yankiboy | June 10, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

If the original deal was a loan but then became a transfer, I figure htat the transfer fee was $1 or E1 and yeah, some Puma cinch bags.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

There's going to be a freedom v frankfurt match or is that just speculation and wishful thinking?

Posted by: sznyter | June 10, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I've had the frankfurters at the Freedom matches. They aren't very stomach-friendly.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sznyter
-------------------------------------------
Sorry. That was an very weak attempt at humor. Often when USL clubs allow themselves to be shafted by MLS in player transfers, the joke is that they most often then not get "a bag of soccer balls and a friendly"...

Posted by: yankiboy | June 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Is she any relation to the composer of "Light My Fire?"

Posted by: universityandpark | June 11, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse