Friday Kickaround

All quiet on the local front this weekend as D.C. United and the Washington Freedom are off. Nationally and internationally, brace yourself for a busy couple days:

*Confederations Cup
Sunday's Third-Place Match
Spain vs. South Africa, 9 a.m. ET (ESPN2, Univision)
Sunday's Championship
USA vs. Brazil, 2:30 (ESPN, Univision)
Pregame show begins at 2

*Sunday friendly in San Diego: Mexico-Guatemala, 8:30 (Telemundo)

*MLS
Saturday
New York (2-11-4) at Columbus (4-3-7), 7:30 ET (Fox Soccer Channel)
Red Bulls are 0-8-1 with one goal scored, 16 allowed on road
Toronto (6-5-4) at Real Salt Lake (4-6-4), 9:30
With victory, TFC overtakes D.C. United for first place
Sunday
Colorado (5-2-6) at Seattle (5-3-7), 4
Rapids are 3-0-5 in last eight matches
Houston (8-2-4) at Los Angeles (2-3-9), 10 (ESPN2)
Dynamo is unbeaten in 11 straight (8-0-3)

Read the complete Louis Crayton story.

Much more on the continuation of this thread.....

*SuperLiga
(All matches on Telefutura)
Saturday
Tigres (1-1-0) at Chicago (2-0-0), 8 p.m. ET
San Luis (1-1-0) at Chivas USA (0-2-0), 10
Sunday
Atlas (0-0-2) at New England (1-0-1), 4:30
Santos Laguna (0-1-1) at Kansas City (0-0-2), 6:30
(Top two finishers in each group advance to July 15 semifinals)

*WPS
Saturday
Chicago (2-5-5) at L.A. (9-1-4), 1 p.m. ET (Yes, a 10 a.m. local start)
Sunday
St. Louis (4-5-2) at Sky Blue (3-5-3), 6 (FSC)

The league announced the All-Star Game will take place Aug. 30 -- eight days after the championship -- at Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park in suburban St. Louis. A WPS squad will face a foreign club to be determined. Eleven players will be named through voting by players, coaches, fans and media; the other seven will be selected by the commissioner and all-star coach. The coach will be chosen through a vote by all of the league's players.

*In USL2, the league match between Real Maryland (5-6-0) and Crystal Palace Baltimore (5-5-3) scheduled for tonight has been moved to Monday evening at UMBC Stadium in Catonsville.

By Steve Goff  |  June 26, 2009; 7:33 AM ET
Categories:  Confederations Cup , D.C. United , MLS , Mexico , SuperLiga , TV , U.S. men's national team , USL , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Brazil's Goal
Next: Video: Estudiantes Victory

Comments

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Posted by: regularfan | June 26, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

My 18:
F: Marta, Smith, Sinclair, Kai
M: Bompastor, Abily, Chalupny, Miyama, Boxx, Lilly
D: Scott, Buehler, Falk, Asante, Cox, Mitts
GK: Solo, McLeod

Coach: Abner Rogers

Hopeful the all-star opponent will be Frankfurt.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 26, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I heard a rumor that the opponent will be Umea from Sweden - Marta's old club. the problem is that most of the European players will be gone because of the UEFA Womens European Championship. That means no Smith, Scott, Bompastor, Carney, or Abiliy. I wonder if next year when there are no international conflicts they will go with the traditional two WPS teams (might have to be N vs S instead of E vs W though) because there are too many quality players in the league to field just one team.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | June 26, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

This article contains a tidbit about Crayton's ancestry that I don't think I've seen reported before, although it should not be surprising, given that he is from Liberia:

Posted by: universityandpark | June 26, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't many/most of Umea's players play for Sweden then in the UEFA? I do not expect Johanna Frisk to be named to the WPS All-Star 18 . . . unless Marta insists on it . . . . so maybe she can return as a guest for them . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 26, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Houston is making its usual run, although it seems earlier than usual this time around.

I realized MLS had a lot of ties this season, but those records are ridiculous. LA has NINE ties? Ugh.

"I have a headache in my eye."

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 26, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Ok - now Umea says they were invited but had to decline because they would lose to many players to the EUROS.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | June 26, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

You say Uh-May-Oh
I say You-Me-Ah
Uh-May-Oh
You-Me-Ah
Uh-May-Oh
You-Me-Ah
Let's call the whole thing off . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 26, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Gone Camping. Later gang. I'll be back Sunday.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 26, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I thought 1PM was insane for a professional event and then I realized where the LA-Chicago game is. Why 10AM? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Posted by: sitruc | June 26, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

To beat the LA traffic?

Posted by: Reignking | June 26, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Camping with DudeRyan. Thought ought to be entertaining! I imagine it's like "Hangover in Vegas," but in the woods...

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 26, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

A little fun article in preparation for Sunday's final: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20287633,00.html

Don't bash them for incorrectly indentifying the goal scorer. They are, after all, not really reporting on soccer in this.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | June 26, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Let's Go RSL!!!!! ;-)

I like the All-Star game right after the league final, but I hate "All-Star" games against other opponents, let the All-Stars play each other and have some fun.

Sometimes when you share an "activities venue" such as the HDC, you end up playing at 10am.
Why would you want the life of an athlete or rock star if you had to be awake and working by 10am? Craziness.

Posted by: dcufan | June 26, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"Read the complete Louis Crayton story."

That was a really good book. I liked the chapters on living dangerously outside the box and how to celebrate like a champ after not-too-meaningful cup championships.

We went from Liberian powerhouse (2 with Doe) to the Liberian wilderness in just a few months. I was reading in the Post-American World that Liberia and Myanmar are the only other countries in the world that don't use the metric system. Go Liberia!

Posted by: diego_r | June 26, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Can't think about any other match than The Match on Sunday. Gonna milk the web for every little scrap of a story about US/Brz.

Posted by: EssEff | June 26, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Traffic?!"

"If you see something that looks like a star,
And it's shooting up out of the ground,
And your head is spinning from a loud guitar,
And you just can't escape from the sound,
Don't worry too much, it'll happen to you,
We were children once, playing with toys.
And the thing that you're hearing is only the sound
Of the low spark of high-heeled boys..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 26, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The Sol game was originally later in the day, but then Chivas USA got scheduled for their Superliga match at 7pm so the Sol got moved

Posted by: soccerfan80 | June 26, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerfan80
==================

Maybe they'll be replaced by Ikea.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Does Mexico play ANY games in Mexico anymore? Why not just host WCQ in ATL, SD or Houston?

Posted by: DrewROC | June 26, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Huh. That's funny. Kocic earns enough (or as little) to qualify for welfare.

This is ridiculous MLS!!! Raise the salary cap!!!!

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 26, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

----
----

Mexico can (very likely) make more money from playing friendlies in the states.

I believe in fact Mexico has played a WCQ in the states (not v. the US) as I think it was Belize who couldn't host at home due to lack of a suitable venue, but were able to play their "home" leg vs Mexico in Houston. It makes economic sense to play were a lot of fans will purchase ticket to these games - friendlies or otherwise.

I'm sure it also help that Soccer United Marketing has a relationship with the Mexican National team to host/promote their games in the US.

Posted by: tab5g1 | June 26, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"I have a headache in my eye."

Posted by: joedoc1

I'll be fine as long as no one cuts the cable to the roof on Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: sec133row5 | June 26, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

At least I won't have to come up with another work excuse for Sunday. Between bad chicken leading to gastroenteritis and an ill child, I was running out of options . . . my grandmother may have had to pass away . .

Posted by: delantero | June 26, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Henry Blake: (Reading Kilnger's excuse letters) Mother dying last year. Sister dying last year. Mother dying and older sister pregnant. Sister dying and mother pregnant. Here is an oldie but a goodie... half the family dying... the other half pregnant. Kilnger aren't you ashamed of yourself?

Klinger: Yes sir... I don't belong in the Army.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse