Greetings From Saprissa

Police vehicles created a wedge through San Jose's rush-hour traffic, escorting the USA team convoy to Estadio Saprissa late this afternoon for a 90-minute workout on the artificial turf. Along the way, a few commuting Ticos realized what the commotion was about and welcomed the Americans with a one-finger salute -- tame stuff for a visiting squad two days before a World Cup qualifier.

Twenty-two of the 26 players initially named to the USA roster are here today: Kaiserslautern goalkeeper Luis Robles left camp in Miami and Rangers midfielder Maurice Edu was scratched with a knee injury. Midfielder Benny Feilhaber and defender Danny Califf, who scored for Midtjylland yesterday, are en route from Denmark.

A few things you should know about Wednesday's match:

Kickoff is scheduled for 8:06 p.m. local time (10:06 p.m. ET) on ESPN and Galavision.

Approximately 200 USA supporters are expected to attend.

The referee is Neal Brizan from T&T.

From what I'm told, VIPs in attendance will include Costa Rica President Oscar Arias, Brazil President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva and USA Ambassador to CR Peter Cianchette. Lula is visiting El Salvador today, Guatemala tomorrow and Costa Rica on Wednesday.

More from Saprissa after USA training.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 1, 2009; 7:23 PM ET
Categories:  Costa Rica , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pura Vida: Costa Rica
Next: USA Training at Saprissa

Comments

I'm pretty sure it's 8:06 Mountain time.

Like you said, that's pretty tame stuff, especially after reading the article on goal.com about the troubles we've had there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know that Oscar Arias' is on his second go-round as President. I'm getting a flashback to his Nobel Prize-winning year, 1987.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Yup, sorry, my bad: 8:06 local.

Fixed.

SG

Posted by: Steve Goff | June 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Ask the players how easy los Ticos are taking it on them around 2am tonight when the fire alarm goes off. I figure the stadium ban they had will have at least some impact on things being thrown from the stands, but FIFA and CONCACAF have never said a thing about the alarms and blaring radio broadcasts the night before.

Hope you brought your earplugs, SG.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Any idea why the Brazil Prez is attending? Does he have a personal connection with either team or something, or is he just looking to take in a good game between two regional powerhouses? Is he the CR President's drinking buddy?

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 1, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

"is he just looking to take in a good game between two regional powerhouses? Is he the CR President's drinking buddy?"

--------------------

They prefer Dos Equis.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Cuts and the Post force the soccer reporter to cover restaurants, tourism, and Central American politics. I hope they're paying you concomitantly.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 1, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I-270,

I hope someone's paying you to use words like "concomitantly". And a little bonus payment for using it correctly.

Posted by: Kenobi | June 1, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess that Commie Lula is doing some recon for the Confederations Cup...;)

Posted by: alan19 | June 1, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Watching ESPN and a promo for the match said their coverage starts at 10:30 ET on Wednesday. Is that a change? I know there's baseball prior to our match - they're not going to show it on a half hour delay ate they?

Posted by: Kev29 | June 1, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Kev29:

Livesoccertv.com has coverage starting at 10: http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/76523/costa-rica-vs-usa/

ESPN's own listings have coverage starting at 10: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/gridNFIndex?date=20090603

I'm hoping that it was just an error in the promotion. Or that you're hallucinating.

Looking further into ESPN's listings, I guess their Plan B if the baseball game goes long is ESPN Classic (scheduled during the exact window of USA-Costa Rica: 2008 NBA Finals Game 4). Hopefully, baseball will not once again screw us as it has so many times in the past.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 1, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Let me first say that Soccer Insider commentators might just be the most erudite and punny commentators in all of WaPo sports.

That said, I hope that Bradley is concentrating on the Arias of concern from our away game in El Salvador and that the boys will really be Brizan the hurt to Los Ticos on Wednesday.

Posted by: the_slammer | June 1, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Chest: yeah, I thought I was seeing things, but the baseball play x play guy said coverage starts at 10:30 and the screen graphic said the same. Maybe they were mistaken, cause all their other listings say 10.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

The latest graphic read 10pm.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 1, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Are you hallucinating Kev?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 1, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

@Kenobi: As a matter of fact, I do get paid to write (among other things), but alas, my remuneration is not commensurate with my sesquipedalian usage of the language.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 1, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I feel humorous, then I270 puts me in my place.

Usually I feel like I know words, but now he's trying to hurt me there, too.

I can't win.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 1, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Baseball is still on. Yawn.

Posted by: redskinsux | June 1, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Ahh...I just realized the game is Wed. hah.

Posted by: redskinsux | June 1, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Watching parts of that DCU/Revs replay was a little depressing. Hopefully the crap call/bad luck will tip back in our favor later in the season when we really need it.

That ball from Tino to Wallace( the diving header that got bobbled and almost poked in by Emilio) was disgusting. Tino is rockin'. I sure hope he stays healthy and keeps it fresh.
Also big retroactive ups for Fred putting it away like he should, and Luci gettin' his assist on.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 1, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Dude, what game?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 1, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Are you hallucinating Kev?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 1, 2009 10:11 PM

I promise I wasn't - and I only had one beer! ;-) ESPN must have typed the wrong time for that particular spot. Listing look correct everywhere else.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 2, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Lula is obviously nervous about Brazil's chances of qualifying for South Africa. He's scouting CONCACAF teams because the 5th place team in South America will play off against the 4th place CONCACAF team for the final berth:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 2, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse