Late-Day Kickaround

*USA forward Jozy Altidore will appear via satellite on a segment of ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" with Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser at 5:30 p.m. today.

*A reminder that Sunday's final has been moved from ESPN2 to ESPN. Univision will carry the Spanish broadcast. Kickoff is 2:30 p.m.

*Join the football vs. futbol discussion at washingtonpost.com's The League.

*Will the Confederations Cup and World Cup help to improve race relations in South Africa?

*I know all of you will be tuned into the USA-Brazil match on Sunday, but while you're watching, why not crank up the Internet machine (on the weekend?!?) and join me here on the Insider for minute-by-minute updates and lively discussion. It's the thing to do.

By Steve Goff  |  June 26, 2009; 3:48 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , Confederations Cup , History , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Talkin' Soccer
Next: Twellman Out, Pietravallo Gone

Comments

F5
F5
F5
Somebody kicked a ball.
F5
F5
F5
F5

You're not helping my addiction.

Posted by: sitruc | June 26, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Here's my comment (it hasn't appeared on that page yet and maybe it won't)

Oh Please! I would expect more out of the Washington Post, which provides excellent coverage of both sports (and the best soccer coverage in the USA), than to machinate a debate to inflame sensibilities and inflate web hits. Soccer fans don't care about replacing football or any other sport as America's sport. Indeed, America has many sports, a buffet of athletic interests for us to participate in or just watch. We (soccer fans) want to watch our sport without ignorant comments, criticisms, and questions - such as the one posed by Emil Steiner.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Well stated, I-270

The "argument" is ridiculous

Posted by: Steve Goff | June 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm shunning the futbol vs football discussion.

(Do I owe someone a fee for using that term?)

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 26, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

That "The League" discussion was as disappointing as anything I can recall on the Post's very fine website.

Both the content and mechanics, by the way, as it gives an error if you try to reply.

Seriously, who's asking about whether soccer is going to take over for football?? Nobody. Except perhaps the knuckleheads who think the sporting landscape of the world is confined to ESPN.

Posted by: JkR- | June 26, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I-270 is correct for once:) It is ridiculus to have this debate. All I want is to watch a soccer match without dumb, ignorant comments.

Let's stop trying to "Americanize" the beautiful game. If you want to be a fan, be a fan; otherwise, get in line behind Jim Rome and the rest of idiots who have nothing positive to say about the sport.

Posted by: hardcoco | June 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Krauthammer's columns are far worse than that, but the rest of my point stands.

And well in, I-270....

Posted by: JkR- | June 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Goff, in the last few days you have been kicking Ives butt with the updates. You are by far the insider!

See you Sunday! F5, F5

Posted by: hardcoco | June 26, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

On a related note, I've almost done with SoccerHead, Jim Hahner's exploration of America's soccer roots intercalated* with his own immersion into soccer through his son. It's pretty eye opening about how deep the roots of American soccer go. The plant may have been pruned back after WWII, but the roots are still there. Coaches of youth teams will enjoy it's humorous descriptions of those experiences.

* that's for you JacobfromAtlanta-ish

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Haven't read all the comments in the threads today, but Ives is reporting that Jermaine Jones has a hairline fracture in his leg and is out 6-8 weeks. I guess that means no Azteca for him.

Posted by: torrey151 | June 26, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Bradley said in his press conference today that he expects Feilhaber to replace Bradley.

Posted by: benonthehill | June 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Goff - are your offices so deserted on Sundays that you are just lonely and looking for company while providing "match tracker" services for the Confed. Cup final??

Posted by: BaltoFan | June 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, I-270. That means I need to make it to the library before I leave for Florida on monday. I'll match your Soccerhead, and raise you Kick the Balls (Basically the same concept, but a cranky Irish guy teaching the game to San Fransisco youngsters: http://www.amazon.com/Kick-Balls-Offensive-Suburban-Odyssey/dp/159463047X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246050157&sr=1-1), and Bloody Confused (LA Writer Chuck Culpepper transfers to London due to burnout, ends up spending a year falling in love with the game: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2536751.Bloody_Confused_A_Clueless_American_Sportswriter_Seeks_Solace_in_English_Soccer)

(I gotta learn how to do that little "make the words the link" link thing.)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! Can't wait to listen to PTI. I'm sure Wilbon will have some thoughful questions while Kornheiser will try his best to appear to know what he's talking about.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 26, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Also, Jozy is the perfect interview for them, he's high energy, young, not gonna talk soft like Donovan (not saying it's a problem, just that he's likely to grab someones attention walking through a room), and he's just always saying the perfect thing.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 26, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Jozy be in bed in South Africa?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 26, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

PTI is taped a little after 2PM, according to Wilbon's chat signoff, saying that he has to go tape PTI.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Jozy is the fifth topic. That means he'll probably be after the first commercial break. Rubio might stay in Europe? LMAO!

Posted by: sitruc | June 26, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Yep. Jozy will be coming up right after this commercial break.

Posted by: sitruc | June 26, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed OKC didn't take Ricky, I would have paid to see that team when the came to town, with Rubio creating for Durant.

And a great job by Jozy.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 26, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Is that a big enough market for Ricky's dad, JacobfromAtlanta-ish?

Posted by: sitruc | June 26, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

""*Join the football vs. futbol discussion at washingtonpost.com's The League.""

I-270, your blog name is all big and blue and highlighted. And it's a discussion worth having . .. maybe the Cornholio's of the world, er Kornheiser's will pay attention . . .

Posted by: delantero | June 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | June 26, 2009 4:15 PM |
------------

Seriously, how does that guy still have a prominent column in the Post? His columns are terrible. He singlehandedly makes me not want to read the Post and the Goffer singlehandedly brings me back

Posted by: diego_r | June 26, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

i-270 is correct. Who cares about the comparison/debate. Totally different sports. I enjoy watching both, however soccer is my favorite. Out of all the sports i think soccer is least affected by the refs, and is always constantly in motion, where as in football you have breaks/huddles/tv commerical breaks/timeouts/penalites. No comparison in my mind. In footballl, holding could be called on every play. Too much for the refs to control i believe. Its a Mob sport :). I still enjoy watching it though. Im not saying that refs dont screw up matchs in soccer because they do, ive seen it more this year than i would have liked to. Go USA on sunday and no i will not be internet chatting. I get enough input from this website at work when im bored.:)

Posted by: g3impreza | June 27, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse