Matchnight: United-Barons

Greetings from Maryland SoccerPlex.

While I wouldn't want to come all the way out here regularly, a periodic visit for a Freedom match or United nonleague game offers the opportunity to take the serene route across the Potomac via White's Ferry, past corn fields, stables, sod farms and old churches, through the one-stoplight town of Poolesville, past American Zen College and into the soccer-intensive Germantown/Boyds complex. Much more peaceful than I-270, to say the least.

D.C. United vs. Ocean City (N.J.) Barons
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m.
Webcast: www.USLlive.com
Radio: WTOP (1050 AM, English), WACA (1540 AM, Spanish).
At Stake: If DCU wins, it will host New England or Harrisburg (USL2) here at the 'Plex next Tuesday night.

Back later with DCU's lineup.....

DCU: Kocic; McTavish, Janicki, Burch; Barklage, DiRaimondo, Olsen, Jacobson, Wallace; Khumalo, N'Silu. Subs: Wicks, Namoff, John, Simms, Gomez, Pontius. (Fred, Moreno, Emilio injured; Quaranta and Jakovic on international duty.)

If you're watching online or listening to the radio call, I encourage your usual pregame, in-game and postgame thoughts.

By Steve Goff  |  June 30, 2009; 5:35 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CONCACAF Done With Sudamericana
Next: United Rewind

Comments

Anyone know if the archive of the game is available free on USLLive too?

Posted by: the_slammer | June 30, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I-270 seems pretty peaceful to me, especially when he's making bad jokes. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 30, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

formation = 3-5-2, 4-5-1, 4-4-2? Anything is possible with all those guys...barklage is listed early so is he left back?

Posted by: LookingDangerous | June 30, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling about this match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Bad sign for John that he isn't playing on the left. We probably should pickup another left back if he isn't good enough to play a USL Developmental team. Other than that things make sense, fringe players starting and starters on the bench for cover. I could see giving Gomez time, but there is a game Saturday so there isn't a lack of games coming up. With Quaranta gone on NT duty Gomez will have to play more anyway.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

the slammer, it looks as though previous Open Cup matches have been archived and are available at USLlive. I'm crossing my fingers.
Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

From Goff's usual formatting, I'm guessing we're looking at

-----Kocic
McT-Janicki-Burch
---DiR--Olsen
Barklage---Wallace
-----Jacobson
---Khu--N'S

If that's the case, I'm surprised to see Jacobson in the CAM slot. I know he can shoot from distance, but I guess we'll see how he does (unless I'm mistaken, in which case, never you mind).

Posted by: TheAMT | June 30, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Some young lady trying out for the Freedom earlier this year blindly followed her GPS from northern Virginia to the Soccerplex and was freaked when it led her to White's Ferry.

Posted by: kevinwparker | June 30, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

LookingDangerous:

Semi-colons are breaking up the groups of players. Barklage is at right midfield. Looks like Olsen will be the playmaker, though I think in practice the central midfield will end up with DiRaimondo very deep and Olsen and Jacobson both ahead of him (but not pushed up as far as we see Gomez or Fred). Just a hunch.

bighungry:

It could be that Soehn is planning on using John on the weekend. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he is already on the way out because he didn't make the lineup for an Open Cup game. We'll see over the next couple of games; if John stays on the bench in Columbus and (hopefully) next week's USOC game, then he's in trouble.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 30, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Olsen in there......he won't let them slack. And he will be the most highly skilled player most of OC has ever played against.

Posted by: sobugged1 | June 30, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

registration required to watch on usl live. But it's free

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Pricing Fail. There's no one here. If tickets were $5 or $10 this place would be full of MoCo tykes.

The pitch is fantastic though, might be the best in US soccer. Not kidding

Vamos United!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

USL live now says start time is 8? Are they waiting for more people to show up?

I agree $25 for a match in the distant suburbs on a weeknight is not smart.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Is the TL 1050AM online feed working for everyone?

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Kickoff moved to 8?

Posted by: amorris525 | June 30, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting the same thing at USL. First it was 7:30, then 7:40, now 8. Whats going on???

Posted by: asnoel | June 30, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

my guess is lightning?

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

CONFUSED!!! Help, Steve? Do you know what's going on with the video feed?

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 30, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

1050 online feed is not working for me either

DCU twitter reported there were issues with the livefeed, so maybe it is going to be up on the site but delayed [game has started]

Posted by: emanon13 | June 30, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we can watch it live!!!

Posted by: sobugged1 | June 30, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

whoa, wait...no radio feed? usllive says 8pm start? but the live chat at dcunited.com is in the 3rd minute!

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

11th min. Goalless. Mostly United, couple chances.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

ChivasUSA 0-1 Battery; long throw-in headed back into top left corner

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

While watching various Twitter feeds and waiting for the USL Video to come back up, Charleston's taken an early lead on Chivas down at the Baud.

Posted by: Section117 | June 30, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

United game up on usllive.com; still no 1050AM online feed

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

24th min. No score. OC creeping into it a bit. Had a couple corners. Props to their fans who made it down. Filled a section or two

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

is it me or is the sound horrible?

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Nice combination play between McT (?) and Khumalo leads to strong shot by Boyyzz, but right at the keep from 18.

I think it's 0-0 and I think it's the first half.

Posted by: delantero | June 30, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

anyone able to access usl live?

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 30, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

usllive working fine, picture and sound aren't perfect but i'm not complaining.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

USL live is working. Federal News Radio still isn't.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 30, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

http://usllive.com/usl/console.jsp It's cumbersome. Need to register but it's there.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

USL live is working fine for me - I did first have to register for an account

Posted by: emanon13 | June 30, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Feed working fine... anyone else tickled that we're watching a pro team, but the camera feed had to be interrupted by a guy with a rag to keep the home quality digital camera from getting wet?

Makes me wonder if there'd be an audience for the Screaming Eagles pick-up games? I'd bring the laptop!

Posted by: Mixter | June 30, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

We do not look good.

Posted by: StewartDC8 | June 30, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

wow. raining in sheets.

we look fairly disjointed. I hope we can put together a coherent attack in the 2nd half.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it works with mac. I can't even register. oh well

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 30, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Pontius or Gomez or both need to be brought on to organize the attack. Once our passing settles down we'll score and maintain possession.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Chivas USA 1-2 Charleston now.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 30, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

0-0 at the half. For those still trying to get the USL feed it's silent at halftime. I would try the Harrisburg & New England game but I'm affraid to channel surf on this feed.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

ChivasUSA 1-2 Battery take the lead back with a hard, low shot from the top of the 18 just before halftime

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

DCUnitedFootball-

I'm watching it on a Mac. Try it again.

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 30, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it. The live feed, that is. I've registered and I can get the canned USL report, but not the live feed. I'm using a PC, but maybe the Adobe plug-in is disabled. Anyone with suggestions on how to circumvent this on my work computer, to which I do not have admin rights?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!! Charleston loves this tourny. Come on Harrisburg. Dare I say 'Vamos Harrisburg." I'd love to get a rematch against Harrisburg who knocked United out a couple of years ago.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

You can register with a MAC but the feed won't work.

Appreciate the updates!

Posted by: LukasWP | June 30, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

My USLive feed is very nearly unwatchable quite herky jerky is it RCN or what? The Radio feed with Tony is a better bet.

Posted by: sbg1 | June 30, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Not sure, but I had to refresh a few times to get the game list to come up. Sometimes it pops in sometimes not.

Posted by: sobugged1 | June 30, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

The feed works on Mac, but you might need Flip4Mac.

Posted by: crynyd | June 30, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Problem solved: AdBlock was blocking Adobe flash from showing the video.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Tied 0-0 at the half.

Posted by: jake77 | June 30, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd agreee that flip4mac has got me the feed. Nice obstruction from the press box... uhhh. very professional. Kinda like trying to sit behind two rEAAAAAallly skinny white barra brava...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I unchecked the pop ups and it lets me register. Now let's see

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 30, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

The radio feed isn't working for me, which is a shame -- I'd rather hear Limarzi.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 30, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Barons' coach red carded.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

okay, Ocean City's coach just got sent off...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 30, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

OC manager sent to the stands by ref

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see anything on the feed that should lead to the coach's abuse of the 4th official (I'm assuming that's what it is).

Announcer wants to interview the coach, who climbed into the stands, but re-thinks it as it's a family friendly broadcast.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Willmington 1 Chicago NIL. Thanks Willmi !!! Common United!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

We need to make some subs, this group looks like they have never played on the same team before.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Who was Pontius brought on for?

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

This IS NOT a family audience. I want to hear the coach vent. I think Comcast outta have a paid option that allows us to hear Soehn vent!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

OK the announcer just answered, Olsen. I thought he was doing decently out there, hopefully he isn't injured. I think the forwards are the problem.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Pontius in for Olsen at the half. Gomez is the only other offensive sub to be made...i hope we don't wait too long.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOOOOL Harrisburg. 1-1 in 76th min

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Janicki shoving DiRaimondo to the ground and injuring him has to be one of the highlights so far.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 30, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

This IS NOT a family audience.
Posted by: 9Nine9
===============

Go ---- yourself. You ----ing, -----ing, ----! (Send me $10 and I'll fill in the blanks)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

@ Dadryan 2021 in attendance; does that include the really skinny white dudes that just stand there?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Pontius would have earned 2 penalty kicks by now if these were MLS refs.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 30, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

That was a clear penalty.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Attendance 2021 at MSP.

Feed is fine for me, but I can't seem to enlarge the screen size to full screen.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 30, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Pontius one on one with the keeper after a great give and go -- how does he not score? He claims a foul, but all he had to do was SHOT THE D$%& ball!

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 30, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Pontius put thorough on a give&go, but his first touch puts it too far in front and the defender slides in to clean it up.

There ought to be an auto-complete for "his first touch let hiom down" because it's typed so often in American soccer. Maybe an intertxt abbrv: HFTLHD? PFT (poor first touch)? AFT (American first touch)?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

@ I-270. Check's in the mail!!!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

pk called...finally

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

pk pk pkpkpkpkpkpkpk

Posted by: AndyinDupont | June 30, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Pontius gets free again; again a defender beats him to it

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 30, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Gomez...1-0

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

N'Silu taken out by the keeper for a penalty, Gomez will take...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 30, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Lucky that wasn't saved.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Gomez scores! bottom left under the keeper

Posted by: AndyinDupont | June 30, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

GOAL Gomez!

Posted by: Juan-John | June 30, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

I wish they had instant replay on that foul. That pk was close to being blocked, good thing Gomez hit it hard.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

And Gomez converts. Ocean City 0-1 DCU.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 30, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Simms in for Wallace, no more subs 75 min

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Keeper's pretty good, despite the PK.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 30, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

finally the keeper takes out N'Silu, and Christian beats the keeper form the spot even tho the keep guessed right -- under his dive
The announcer keeps saying, only three subs. I thought there were four i n Open Cup games earlier this season!

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 30, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

N;Silu was leaping straight up for a high-bouncing ball. The keeper submarined him and N'Silu flipped over and landed on his back. He could have been hurt pretty badly on that. Did the GK get a card?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

It's a final Willmington 1 Chicago 0. New England 1 Harrisburg 1 in the 83rd min.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I think it's 4 subs in the Open Cup play-in games and 3 subs in the Open Cup proper. I could be wrong on that, but there you go.

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Khumalo and N'Silu look really bad. We'ved had a weakness in our depth upfront for a long time now. We need better forwards on the bench. Luckily our midfield can score.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

that sounds right Pedalada. used to be 4 subs in the tournament proper, but that's changed this year

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

BoyZ tripped over the goalbox.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Kocic sucks, but Khumalo needs to be waived. How many chances does he need? Garbage!

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Kocic for President!

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

how is this amateur team giving us such heartburn?!

Posted by: AndyinDupont | June 30, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

2-0!!!!!!!!

Posted by: AndyinDupont | June 30, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

OC keeper leaves a rebound on a free kick, DC scores. 2-0.

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Stoppage time goal for DCU, now 2-0.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 30, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOAL United 2 zip. Now commmmon Harrisburg. 1 1 in 90th looks like OT.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Khumalo's had a poor second half but he doesn't deserve to be waived. Hopefully we don't see him on the wing again anytime soon though. He's a forward.

N'Silu has had a really good match and that goal topped it off.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 30, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Did Gomez just get sombrero-ed?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

So how is Ocean's 11?

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 30, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

The Revs are down to 8 men!!!???

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

United wins 2-0. winner of Harrisburg 1-1 with Revs playing w/ 9 at the soccer plex next week.

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

9 men

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about N'Silu. He doesn't show exceptional speed. His touch is often suspect. For a player his size, he gets outmuscled more than he should. Khumalo hustles a LOT more, every time he's on the pitch. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Khumalo.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | June 30, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Kicking off in the supporters areas! Wow - kind of sad. Police breaking it up

I blame Jersey, of course.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

3-1 Battery

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Battery goes up 3-1 over ChivasUSA. nice volley

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

3-1 Charleston in injury time. Beautiful shot to finish them off.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I gather the Rev's are down to 8 now

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 30, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

preki gets red carded, chases the ref, and handled by 2 cops before being escorted off the field by 3...not a hight point

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Charleston - Chivas ends with a red card and Preki escorted off the pitch by the police after he confronts the referees. Way to stay classy.

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 30, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Where is the Revs game being shown?

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

revs game audio only from their site. first OT period almost over

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

@bighungry
I only found audio, its at Revolutionsoccer.net

Posted by: rockotodd | June 30, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Harrisburg 2-1 Revs...not over yet

Posted by: buck-bass-goal | June 30, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Where is the Revs game being shown?

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:33 PM |

================

audio feed available from http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/

2-1 Harrisburg in extra time (not sure how much time is left)

Posted by: emanon13 | June 30, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

HARRISBURG SCORED IN OT!!!!
2-1

Posted by: rockotodd | June 30, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Revs just went behind 2-1 on goalkeeping error

Posted by: fedssocr | June 30, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

saw half the game. really poor Khumalo tonight. Crosses were awful, lots of foul, blew several chances. I agree forwards suck. no matter how many shots you get if you just hitting it to the keeper that's a poor sign. N'Silu too bad except pk drew and last minute luck. Over all I think it's pretty poor against a 4th division players and no goals until the pk.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 30, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Harrisburg 2-1 over New England @ end of ot #1 . Revs 2 red cards.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

US Open Cup site has live scores and links to all audio/video feeds: http://www.usopencup.com/score/index_E.html

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

US Open Red Cards Cup... shall we say. sounds pretty ugly. At least DC playing side, nothing embarrassing happened.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 30, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

The game tracker in MLSnet shows no red cards, but stated that two Revs went off injured after three subse were made.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Rev announcers complaining about the schedule, saying they are "almost being punished for winning games"

booo frickin hoo

Posted by: rockotodd | June 30, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I think all of the backups were poor. Kocic; McTavish, Janicki, Barklage, DiRaimondo, Khumalo, and N'Silu were subpar. All this talk of depth did not show tonight. The passing was horrid as was our touch. We turned the ball over constantly. The only thing that saved us is that they were a developmental team. If this was a USL1 team we would have lost.

Maybe it was a lack of leadership until Gomez came in, but after he scored they put a lot of pressure on. Kocic almost let in a goal because he fell down after not clearing a punched ball, Janicki made a lot of errors, the midfield did not hold possession as they should have and the forwards were wasteful with chances.

At the end of the season these are some of the people that we will rely on because of injuries and suspensions. I don't feel confident that they will be able to fill in for the starters. Thankfully Wallace and Pontius have panned out well.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

How many MLS teams left in USOC?

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 30, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I only caught the end of the game, but Kocic came up big then. Was he shaky before then?

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc1 Columbus is tied 1-1 in the 77th, KC is up 2-1, Revs are about to lose 2-1, Chivas is out 3-1, Chicago is out 1-0 and Houston and Seattle play on the 1st. So 5 counting us. Three have been knocked out and hopefully Columbus join them.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

joedoc1 - DCU is the only MLS team through the third round so far. Houston and Seattle both play tomorrow. Columbus is tied, and KC up by a goal, both games in 2nd half. Chicago and Chivas have lost, NE a goal down with moments left to play.

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

@Pedalada he made that one great save other than that he was poor at coming out for crosses. He fell down a couple of times and didn't clear the ball properly with his punches numerous times. His shot blocking wasn't bad though.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

We will get a chance to avenge Harrisburg beating us a couple of years ago. VENGANCE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD!!! Hope we don't bring a C team like last time.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

No, Kocic played well, only fumbled one shot that was cleared off the line my him & a defender

People here constantly abuse players because they are ignorant.

"Kocic; McTavish, Janicki, Barklage, DiRaimondo, Khumalo, and N'Silu were subpar"

BS, they played fine, they are reserves for gosh sake. What did McTavish do wrong? he was solid. You must be using the "if he didn't do something spectacular he was bad" theory. If we always followed that we wouldn't ever had defender's of the year

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | June 30, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

New England is out 2-1 AET

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | June 30, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

BS McTavish was passing to the other team. Yes they are backups but they were playing college players! If they played like this against an MLS team ok, but stupid making excuses for them. THe team sucked until we made subs.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Going OT in Rochester vs Columbus. Columbus w/ only 10 men. If Roichester wins United will be the only MLS team in the final 8. Did Rochester beat United the year they (Roc) won the Open Cup?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree that tonight was an ugly game, however I don't necessarily think that translates to doom and gloom for the late season. The team will be probably fine with *one or two of these guys at a time* plugged in as needed to fill in for injuries/suspensions.

7 of them in the starting 11, though? Different story...

Posted by: StickmanInDC | June 30, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I was look from the view point of playing a 1st division v amateur club and struggles.
Off topic: Madrid - 50k at the stadium to welcome #8 Kaka.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 30, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Correction: I mean United the only MLS team in OUR half of the bracket if Crew loses.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

United vs Harrisburg. Where will it be played? Soccerplex right?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Kocic was pretty good. McTavish was okay, not great, made about the same number of mistakes he'd make in a MLS game. Khumalo was worse than useless; they kept working the ball to him, and he kept giving it away. N'Silu barely showed up.

It was Jacobson who bowled over DiRaimondo, not Janicki.

It was really unclear to those of us at the game what happened on OC's near-goal. Could someone who saw the Webcast comment on that, please? Looked to much of the Soccerplex like the Barons scored there.

The police near-riot at the end of the game was just plain special. We were right above it, but just enough out of the way.

Posted by: Landru | June 30, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Confession time: I was pulling for Ocean City to tie the game! I guess I tend to root for the David in David-vs.-Golliath scenarios.

Please don't ban me from RFK Stadium for life!

Posted by: billindmd | June 30, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Thunder has drawn level with KC with like 8 minutes left on a PK...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

@9Nine9 - Harrisburg @ DCU (Soccerplex), Tues July 7.

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I was not pulling for OC, but they played tough and pretty well. Seemed like some of their fans were real d-bags intent on showing how crazy they were in front of the big boys (Barra/Eagles). Kind of tarnished their night - which was pretty fun till then.

United needed Pontius then Gomez to really turn the game. Which does not reflect well on the reserves.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game. Player ratings:
Kocic 7
Khumalo 5.5
N'Silu 5

Subs:
Pontius 7.5
Gomez 5
Simms 5

not a great performance by any means, but we got the right result.

Posted by: GoUnited | June 30, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Good updates, fellas. Thanks!

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 30, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Go Dychenko! Is that how he spelled it?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Reading some posts above, looks like officiating has been an issue in many games. Shame - it's just so bad in our Federation (and Confederation). OC team and management were none too pleased during and after our match tonight.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Still 1-1 in the 2nd overtime at Rochester.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

KC and Minnesota Thunder now heading to OT.

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@ Landru -- on the webcast as well that OC near-goal looked liked it was over the line. The announcer said "Brazil all over again" and it did indeed look much like that. But they weren't running replays. I'm curious to see video highlights.

Posted by: fallschurch1 | June 30, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

What a freaking night in the Open Cup ay!?!?!?
Wild!
Minnesota has a decent pitch and even though I normally actually stick up for KC and their diehards, it'd be kinda neat to see Dychenko some how pull the Thunder out of the fire for the win in OT....

@9nine9: I didn't mean any dis to BB white dudes that's for sure. It was just a little funny looking at the freaking window frame as the teams rarely crossed the center of the field.

I dig the fact that it looks like these lovely "lower tier" clubs keep their beer gardens open deep into OT.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody get turned on by the 'after' picture (not the fat one) of the at chick in the ad at the top of this page?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

PKs in Rochester. Still 2-2 in the KC game in the beginning of OT.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I think you must be getting different ads. I just see McDonald's. (kind of ironic the junk food they sell would show up on a soccer blog, where people care about fitness, but then again I guess they are a major player in sports like Coca-Cola, another product with negative nutritional value)

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

@9nine9: duuuuude....would you expect anyone to admit that?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

This tourney is AWESOME. Too bad only the Die-hards understand the thing.

Rocherser PK goal!

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

2-1 in PKs for Rochester.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Things perked up immediately as soon as Pontius entered. Yes, his shots were pretty much right at the keeper, but at least he was getting himself open. After all, Christian's free kick was right at the keeper also, and he spilled it, leading to the goal credited to N'Silu.

I think Jacobson won every contested header. I liked Barklage also, but would rather see him inside than out on the wing as he was in the first half.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 30, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

3-2 PKs for RoAchs

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

So apparently the USL Carolina Railhawks played the Panama National Team tonight in a friendly?

What national team would you like to see DCU play?

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Did ROACHester beat United in the Open the year they (Roach) won the cup?

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Rochester wins 5-3 in PKs!

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Rochester just won on PKs.

Posted by: bighungry | June 30, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

ok, figured there'd be a few upsets, but didn't expect basically the entirety of MLS to crash out of the cup (save DCU, of course)

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 30, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 30, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

KC just scored in extra time of the first OT, so they lead 3-2 going into the 2nd OT. Minnesota has not scored in the run of play - both goals were PKs.

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

DCU won't meet another MLS team until the final. The winner of the match between us and Harrisburg get the winner of Rochester and Wilmington. It would be nice to play Rochester again, I was very impressed by the number of fans that showed up last year.

Posted by: GoUnited | June 30, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

KC is up in OT Joshua.second half of OT just started.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

@ Dadryan Not offended by the skinny white guy comment. They turned into skinny black dudes after the sun went down.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

@joshuastevens: as someone else pointed out Sounders face Timbers tomorrow night as well as Houston vs. Austin.
I'd be pretty surprised if Houston loses. Sounders? I'm sure they could find a way to lose and blame it on something silly like a fan in his "colors" getting shived in the stands....Dead Baby vs Zoo Bomb....?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I said 'basically' I am having your problem, can't get the mac to show usllive stuff, so it's a matter of following the bad game summaries on usopencup.com. I think I built a better site in 96....

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 30, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

@9nine9, ha!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

WOW! Minnesota scores with probably 3 seconds on the clock to send it to PKs!!

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

AWESOME GOAL for Minnesota.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

NIce Job minnesota! looks like this beatch is goin' to PKs too....3-3 in what minute? KC keeper stayed chipped! Nice!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

wow last minute goal by minn timbers to send it to pks likely

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | June 30, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

minn thunder sorry

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | June 30, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

"Muy dramatico final," as Andres Cantor used to say.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Guess I misheard the announcer - still in 2nd OT minn&kc.

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

NOW they're off to PKs.

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

It's on to kicks in MiniSODA.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

KC 3-3 Minnesota.

On to P-Ks.

Posted by: Curious99 | June 30, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Ref is funny. When everybody went to the North goal he decided to go to the South goal. After the fans move to the South side, he should move it back to the North goal.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

great camera work for these PKs! Yeaaaaah! This is awesome.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

KC :(

Posted by: Curious99 | June 30, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

KC 5-3 on PKs.

Posted by: dkorn | June 30, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Wiz advance.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Dam KC! Gnite ladies.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 30, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Colbert to open w/ a segment on soccer right now.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

yeah the camera work on the PKs was great - felt like I was right behind the kicker!

Posted by: Pedalada | June 30, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

A bit disappointed in United's form tonight. You can argue this is the biggest game in the OC Barons history and they'd be going all out but I just don't think that was the case. I certainly wasn't shocked by what I saw but I'd have hoped with the mix of starters, subs & bench warmers we'd see more chemistry in the play. Sure the ball was on their end of the field much of the game (I don't think you can say they packed it in) but our attack was haphazard.

We're okay on depth, but let's not fool ourselves. If we were being hit by the injury bug like we were last year, I think we'd be having about as much trouble as then.

Posted by: KireDCU | June 30, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

One other note, OC's goalie was dropping the ball in front of him on stops all night. N'Sulu finally got one but it sure makes me miss the grit & hustle of Josh Gros. That goal he got against NE's goalkeeper a couple of years ago was signature Gros.

Posted by: KireDCU | June 30, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game tonight and thought the mostly reserve team played well. The problem is that these guys are good hardworking role players but not deadly finisher. DC dominated possession by about a 2 to 1 margin and guys like Burch, Jacobson, and DiRaimondo got to practice their shooting. I was a bit worried that Janicki, who was usually the last field player back, might get burned in a 1v1 matchup as happened in Colorado but that never materialized.

Pontius added lots of energy and desire to the attack for the 2nd half. Hopefully DiRaimondo didn't get hurt significantly in that collision but it was time to bring on Gomez anyway.

Did the PK call look legit on the feed? Several of us at the game thought it seemed soft but I was ballwatching and N'Silu had played the ball back across the top of the area to a teammate before the OC goalie was called for the foul.

Ocean City's late flurry (we thought they had scored but were closer to the other goal) came following a freekick into the area after the ref called Gomez for handling the ball in spite of the fact that Christian was tripped from behind and landed on the ball.

Ocean City Barons and their travelling fans represented well. Too bad about the incident in the stands at the end of the game. Not sure exactly what sparked it but a DC fan, Aquatic Fanatic, definitely threw a punch or 2 at an OC fan.

Save that behavior for the swimming meets!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 1, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

And in completely different news Mexican side Puebla announced they are signing Carlos Ruiz.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 1, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I kinda hear you there KireDCU, but at the same time I'd give the team a little bit of a break. Pontius was getting abused when he was subbed in and the Baron's keeper was actually doing a pretty good job. I was very distracted, but I really couldn't care less about the if, when's, and what's of this match, we just better not crap the bed against the Islander's next.

Big league match this weekend, with a lot of special ingredients missing. What we do this weekend is what I'm worried about, not how crappy our win was in Germantown. It could have been worse, we could have gone all the way to PK's and win, lose, or draw that would have sucked worse than the result we got....
I gotta hit the sack, sorry.
Stoked for tomorrow's matches.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

this bad boy is two posts away from 200! Boo Yaa! Who say's folks don't like the open cup?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I was also at the match and second what Joel and Landru have been saying. United dominated possession. However, it's also fair to say that the OC Barons deserved better, They were far better shooters than United. I was really impressed with their ability to shoot around defenders and find the frame. They tested Kocic over and over again. I had my doubts coming into tonight's game about Kocic's shot-blocking. No more. He was the man of the match for United.

The only DCU field players that really acquitted themselves well were Pontius and Gomez. Unfortunately, Pontius couldn't finish his chances. Gomez created both goals -- his pass to N'Silu drew the initial penalty, as the goalie couldn't stop his charge into Ange. (Joel, I agree it was a bit soft, as Ange had already played the ball, but we saw the same call earlier this year at RFK.)

Later, Gomez saw an open player on the far side and tried to dribble for some space to get off a pass, and drew the foul. Of course, he also delivered a tough free kick -- much better than either of Burch's efforts. Without those two plays by Gomez, DCU probably joins the ranks of all those MLS teams that went down in defeat tonight. DCU had Gomez, and DCU had the better goalie. That was the difference.

Of course, as Joel notes, the Barons' best chance came off a free kick that was totally undeserved. I realize this happens in soccer -- players handle the ball believing they've been fouled...but, Gomez was clearly fouled.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

@Kire -- DCU is already being hit by the "Injury bug". Front-line players Moreno, Fred and Emilio were unavailable. Hopefully DiRaimondo's injury isn't serious -- I thought he showed some potential out there, moving into good spaces to receive balls. If it is, DCU's depth will be sorely tested with games on Saturday and Tuesday. Maybe the front office needs to see if Agoos can send some European talent our way, too. They can't continue for long with a roster that's short 2 men -- unless they plan on using more starters in Open Cup play. If DiRaimndo can't go, they either have to start Namoff and move McTavish to the midfield, or play either Gomez or Simms the full 90.

One other note -- though I praised OC's play good shooting, some fancy footwork, and tough defending by the center back #6 (anyone know who he is? #6 not listed on their website -- and I'm not convinced he fouled Pontius) -- there was some good play by DCU. I was impressed by Janicki's tough defending -- one big slide tackle in particular -- and decent distribution.

There was bad play by DCU, too. The most disappointing players were Khumalo and Wallace. To many turnovers -- Wallace's were the most egregious, as he was repeatedly stripped of possession in 1v1 stiuations. N'Silu continues to be underwhelming. I'm hearing comparisons between Altidore and Drogba. I think N'Silu reminds me of Drogba, except devoid of 90% of Didier's skills and speed. Burch made some good plays defending, but he was a drag on the offense. Barklage was often left open, but no one got him the ball. He made a big defensive play, tracking back late in the game.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

I felt bad for the OC 'keeper. I gather he was a big part of their run in the Cup. He was visibly distraught after the PK foul and goal. He must feel completely miserable after dropping Gomez's free kick and not covering in time to prevent a goal.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse