Matchnight: USA-Honduras

Greetings from Chicago's Soldier Field, where, about four hours before kickoff, tens of thousands of Honduran supporters were beginning to gather with flags, horns, coolers and enormous banners. Tell me again why the USA is playing a home qualifier against an opponent with strong support in this country in a large stadium located in a major, accessible city?

Earlier today, Australia, Japan and South Korea qualified for the 2010 World Cup. After Wednesday's stinker at Costa Rica, the USA only wishes it were that close to securing a ticket to South Africa next summer. With the next match at Azteca in August, a tie or victory is vital tonight (Kickoff: 8:27 ET; ESPN, Galavision).

I've heard some interesting early rumblings about the USA starting lineup. We won't know definitively until around 7:30 ET, but one contact tells me that left back Jonathan Bornstein, right back Jonathan Spector, defensive midfielders Ricardo Clark and Pablo Mastroeni, and newly recalled striker Conor Casey are all in the lineup. It's probably safe to assume that Tim Howard, Oguchi Onyewu, Carlos Bocanegra, Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore are the others. Let's see if that XI comes to fruition. [Update: I'm also hearing that Freddy Adu and Jose Francisco Torres will not be on the game-day roster. Awaiting confirmation.....]

More details later.....

[UPDATE] It's now official, and as we reported a couple hours ago, it's Howard; Spector, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Bornstein; Dempsey, Mastroeni, Clark, Donovan; Altidore, Casey. The subs are Guzan, DeMerit, Wynne, Kljestan, Feilhaber, Beasley and Davies.

You've come to the ideal gathering place for pregame, in-game and postgame discussion.

Fans and Honduras players celebrate their first goal against the U.S. in their FIFA World Cup qualifier soccer match in Chicago. Carlos Costly scored the first goal of the match, before the U.S. tied it right before halftime. (John Gress -- Reuters)

Landon Donovan celebrates after scoring on a penalty kick against Honduras during the first half. It tied the score 1-1. (Nam Y. Huh -- Associated Press)

By Steve Goff  |  June 6, 2009; 4:54 PM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Officiating.....Again
Next: CONCACAF Rewind

Comments

i'm afraid to watch.

Posted by: you-dont | June 6, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

if Mastroeni is in, I'm afraid to watch.

Posted by: doh1 | June 6, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Mastro had a bad game. Dempsey had a bad game. will tonight be any different? will jozy be able to run at people now that they aren't playing on a parking lot? will donovan try to take control of the game?
can clark and mastro keep enough possession?
can casey be integrated into the team in only 1 practice session?

Posted by: you-dont | June 6, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

can bob bradley make the appropriate subs?
can davies make an impact?
will torres see the field?
if honduras scores first, is the game over?
will the alcohol dull the pain?

Posted by: you-dont | June 6, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Win-win scenario. US gets all the points, or Sunil will try to cover up his mistake of playing in a pro-Honduras location by firing Bob.

Posted by: Firesox | June 6, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The thing is Mastroeni has never had a good game.

Posted by: AshburnUnited | June 6, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

btw, I'm on the blog that hates Bob Bradley right?

Posted by: Firesox | June 6, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

ashburn, yes he has. But he's getting old. We need Kyle Beckerman, Maurice Edu, and Jack Jewsbury. We rely on our senior citizens too much, and then we act surprised when they crash and burn at a WC

Posted by: Firesox | June 6, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

AshburnUnited

I am totally with you on that one. He's a dinosaur. Any value he once had died when the game evolved to another level of skill and speed.

So Torres, Davies, Adu, you know, the people who actually had good games, are benched again? If you aren't sold on Adu, who was the one person who put a shot on target, or passed to people far up the field in dangerous positions? As for Torres, Bradley hates the man, clearly, if he thinks that Mastroeni, Clark, or (grimace) Klejstan has anything on him.

If Beasley starts one more time, my sense of justice will implode.

Unfortunately, Bradley stays until the Confed Cup appocalypse.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

LOL KYLE BECKERMAN!!!!
ever since Pablo cut the dreads we've gone down hill. we need someone with dreads, no pace, average passing ability, and a waddling gait.

Posted by: you-dont | June 6, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Mastro had his time, and it was four years ago. His rash challenges have left us a man down, he is a step (or so) slow, and he no longer can police the area behind the attacking mid. Think of Anklebiter at his best: seeing the plays develop, occupying the passing lanes, and chopping down the lumber if need be. Beckerman is there now.

Posted by: bdwooton | June 6, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I would definitely take Beckerman over Clark.

Posted by: Firesox | June 6, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

As for Conor Casey... Well. I think we'll probably see. At least we know he Can score.

(Not another Twellman, please).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"We rely on our senior citizens too much, and then we act surprised when they crash and burn at a WC"

like Reyna's case of dizzyness and fatigue before Ghana's first goal?

Posted by: notafembot | June 6, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

uniteddemon, no doubt he's great in MLS but he has yet to score in 9 caps. I still take Cooper (2 goals in 4) over Casey, not on current form, but he should definitely be a part of the squad

Posted by: Firesox | June 6, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Pablo IS OVER!

He shouldn't be called up again. Time for new blood. Beside he sucked @ss on Wed night.

Posted by: arswift24 | June 6, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Firesox

I honestly don't know how he'll play. He's more dangerous than Ching is for Houston right now.

Basically, don't want to pull a "he's too" anything before we see him nominated. Oh, wait, wrong news section.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I should of clarified that pablo hasn't had a good game in recent memory. Which is all that matters in soccer.

Posted by: AshburnUnited | June 6, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I suppose I can live with that XI, though I wish we had an alternative to Mastroeni. I don't think he's the worst player ever (which in this thread means I'm his biggest fan), but I'd like to see someone centrally that can actually contribute to the attack. I get wanting to stop Guevara and Palacios, but at what cost? Aren't we the home team? Aren't we also the superior team?

Seeing Beasley finally on the bench is a relief. It's been hard to justify his presence for quite some time.

A front pairing of Casey and Altidore could be pretty good. I think Casey is the closest thing we have to a clone of Ching, so hopefully he can come close to replicating Ching's play. I'm sure there are still many people that don't want Ching or players like Ching on the national team, but to not be able to see what we gain from that kind of player is baffling to me.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 6, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Really? We're relying on two defensive midfielders with noone to feed the ball up to our strikers? Dempsey and Donovan on the wings ain't gonna cut it. Agree with giving Clark a shot, but give him an attacking middie up the middle (Kljestan, Feilhaber or Torres) to spark the offense. Are we shooting for a nil draw at home?

Posted by: daandre3 | June 6, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought the knock on Casey was a roboknee after surgery left him too slow for the international game?

Posted by: the_slammer | June 6, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

GREAT! No Freddy and Torres....the only offensive sparks form the CR game... Way to go Bob !

Posted by: arswift24 | June 6, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I am confused what am I supposed to be so worried and mad about again? We are in second place in qualifying and we have lost just one game. So we played one bad game. Argentina has lost 1/4 of their qualifiers. I think we will both be alright.

Posted by: csd1 | June 6, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

After the last game I think Bradley was saying he felt like taking Torres out was probably a mistake. Me thinks Goff might be getting punk'd.

Posted by: csd1 | June 6, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

csd1,

a number 1 seed would be nice so we're not stuck with "the group of death" like last time.

Posted by: notafembot | June 6, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Enough with this soccer stuff. Did John Prine wear a Che shirt, or not?

I can't fathom why Torres isn't playing. He's probably the best player on the US side technically, and he ought to know how to play against Central American teams, given his experience in Mexico.

I do hope DB isn't on the pitch. His experiment at left back has been a disappointment.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 6, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

The thing is Mastroeni has never had a good game.
Posted by: AshburnUnited | June 6, 2009 5:13 PM

Amen!
I wonder how Bob Bradley is gonna mess this one up. I wanna see Torres play a full game. Still have yet to hear one good explanation why he took him out of the game at halftime on wed night. I saw one guy who was very calm under pressure and with vision to distribute. Apparently BB thinks that's a bad thing

Posted by: doh1 | June 6, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

mastroeni and bornstein are u kidding me. r u kidding me.

bring in someone right now. bradley has flipped his mind. Torres was the best player the other night. what is he going to play 343 or something idiotic again tonite.

matroeni is only good for about five minutes then he needs oxygen.

omg.

Posted by: castroviejo | June 6, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for this Adu Torres thing to be confirmed.

If it is true, none of my response will be allowed on this blog, anyway.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

No Adu or Torres? Mind-boggling.

Posted by: Reignking | June 6, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Why do I have a feeling Adu and Torres said something to Bradley and he didn't like it. If they have been left off the roster that is the only way that is possible.

Posted by: spartyinmd | June 6, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

since Goff (and some commenters) keeps flogging this point, where should we play these games? we can freeze out the Mexican fans in Columbus because they are our biggest rival and people want to see that game. but do the more casual fans get worked up over a game v. Honduras? i don't think they do. if we played tonight's game in Columbus or SLC or wherever, wouldn't it still have a good chance of being at least 50% Catrachos supporters since they seem to travel in such large numbers? what cities aren't "accessible" in this day and age? most big cities are a hub for some airline or another (SLC = Delta, Denver = United & Frontier, MPLS = Northwest, etc.).

should we never play in a large stadium? or only against T&T? i think that's ridiculous. what's the anticipated split for the Costa Rica return game at RFK? maybe they should move that game to the SoccerPlex so we can ensure 90% American support.

on a slightly different topic, during this morning's Iran-DPR Korea matchup, the announcer said that FIFA made the Koreans move the game away from a stadium with a turf field to one with grass for some reason. why couldn't they do that in Costa Rica as well? do the Ticos have another FIFA-qualified venue?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 6, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm also hearing that Freddy Adu and Jose Francisco Torres will not be on the game-day roster. Mastroeni, Dempsey. For that reason Bod Bradley is a blind and dumb coach and i am not going to watch it. He doesn't see what we see. I hope US loses tonight for that own reason.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 6, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

If Torres is not in the 18 and healthy, then Bradley ought to seek mental health treatment immediately. I've never been a "fire coach x" kind of person, but it seriously seems as the pressure is turned up, Bradley is starting to crack. For his sake, the US HAVE to get three points tonight. If God forbid they should lose, you have the reality of facing Italy, Brazil, Egypt (no pushover) and Mexico with two straight losses in their back pocket. The possibility of six consecutive defeats is looming larger and larger. Here's hoping they can put it to Honduras.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 6, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Because US Soccer needs the money from a large crowd to start saving for a new coach.

Posted by: addick | June 6, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

lineup comments: Clark is an "ugh" for me and i'm no Mastro fan, so with Edu and Bradley out, i'd like to see Adu and Feilhaber get more of a shot (Torres, too, just to fit in with the chorus here). i'm not a reflexive Bradley hater, so i'm pulling for him to put together something that works. With Casey and Jozy up top, that allows Dempsey and Donovan to pull back a bit and i think we'll see that have some positive results. Davies can come off the bench for energy at the end as he has done - it might be his most valuable role. i'm excited to see Bornstein and Spector in there (@castroviejo - why is Bornstein such a crazy choice given what we have been running out there recently?). i'm anxious, but optimistic that being back at home and having had a few more days of the team working together will produce a positive result.

btw, Costa Rica & T&T tied 1-1 at the half. let's go Soca Warriors!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 6, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Ok so i had to read the last part about Torres being scratch 3 times cuz it wasnt makin sense to me....it's already been stated but unless Torres is hurt then poppa Bradely is losing his marbles some then cuz this decision makes NO sense at all. Then again he might just have some unreasonable lack of confidence in the kid cuz he subbed him out at halftime last game when clearly Torres was making things happen in the midfield...man all i knows is we need to win this game badly. Atleast then there'd be one favorable outcome for me today cuz my Bolivia just choked BIG TIME, beyond shameful, where's Jaime when we need him. :(

Posted by: DjB55 | June 6, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 6, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

are you effing kidding me? what the hell is wrong with you? what has Torres ever done? he played 20 decent minutes on Wednesday? big deal! he's not Steven Gerrard or Cesc Fabregas - he's a 22-year-old with only 5 international appearances who plays in a 2nd tier league and has a lot to prove. but because the coach isn't consulting you for talent evaluation you won't watch and will root for the U.S. to lose? i think that's horrific and is all too typical of the negative attitude that permeates the USMNT "supporters". i don't love every move and i'm not blind to our deficiencies, but i would never turn against the team like that.

i mean, just, wow.....

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 6, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

I want to be the first to say it, I think its time for the US and Bob Bradley to part ways. He's not a bad manager but we need a better one. We need a manager who can find ways to incorporate young players like Adu and Torres. One who can find the right mix of players for the appropriate opponent. Look Torres and Adu are not perfect but have they been given a a real chance in the right game?

The team has gotten as good as it is going to get under Bradley, its time to look elsewhere.

Posted by: Jeffreymsoltz | June 6, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree with dimensmakedollars more strongly about how shameful it is for a USMNT "supporter" to root for out team to lose. That said, I agree with the chorus about Torres He has looked good to me: calm on the ball, good technique, dribbles with purpose, works hard, decent vision. i think he adds a dimension to our squad. I am not sure why he was subbed out in the last game and think he should be starting. While I too have concerns about Mastroni, overall I am ok with this roster. I would prefer to see a central midfielder he is more offensively minded and can link up to the forwards better then clark and Mastroni, but I am willing to give the coach the benefit of the doubt. While he may be over compensating for the last game, it is understandable. If Bradley did not get the yellow he would be starting. In terms of Benny, he looked good like two years ago. He needs to bounce back from really dismal play over the last year and really show himself before he warrants another cap. Adu should also be dressed for this game. I can't figure why he isn't.

Posted by: nyjer1 | June 6, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

dimesmakedollars

You have to understand that we've been suffering with players that are purely defensive in the midfield since Feilhaber dropped off the map.

Here's what I think Bob doesn't understand:

It's not entirely Boca's, Gooch's, Bradley's, or any of our decent starting defenders (none so far on the left flank).

It's the fact that our entire system leans on them. It is designed to make defense the number one priority, to crush creativity, and then let our offense overwhelm the weaker side eventually.

Problem is, no attention is placed on making the offense work, just hoping key players will lift the offense on their backs. Hate Donovan and Dempsey? The system offers them no help. Which they need. Dempsey can't dribble through everyone, Donovan is a second striker, not a lucky charm.

And neither is Altidore.

I think if we insert Torres or Feilhaber into the midfield, and take to heart the maxim that the best defense is a good offense.

And for not putting Adu and Torres even on the bench, unfortunately, is the period on my point.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I thought he pulled Torres on Wednesday to save him for tonight. Him not being dressed tonight is plain ridiculous. Bradley better pray for a good result tonight or his job may be in jeopardy...

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Has everyone from the USA Mens forum at BigSoccer moved over here? I swear, the cogent analysis I'm seeing here is astounding.

Could it be Bradley is expecting a slug-fest like Guatemala and he knows Adu and Torres couldn't stand up to it? That he actually has an idea of what he's doing? Of course not, that would not fit people's preconceived biases.

Posted by: Josh8 | June 6, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Holah Frank O'Neil.
Hey I guess the good news is that we won't spend all of tomorrow trying to figure out if Gringo is a racial slur or not...
Go USA!
Hella bummed we get no Torres. Or Adu. Headed over to a neighbors to catch the match so I'm checking out again till later.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 6, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

josh, i like to support my coach, but not blindly. Give it up. hes wrong

Posted by: Firesox | June 6, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I just wanna see if Casey can take this chance and show that he deserves another call.

Posted by: PC__ | June 6, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

OOHHHH LETS GO USAAAA, USA, USA
LETS GO USA

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Our wanting Torres to play -- in the middle -- is not just about the other night, but about all of the WCQ we've seen him play. He was instrumental in the 2-2 Guate tie.

Posted by: Reignking | June 6, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Does our final placing in CONCACAF qualifying (first, second or third) officially affect our seeding for the World Cup?

We're not guaranteed a top seed even if we finish first, correct? Doesn't FIFA come up with some bogus seeding system? I thought last time Mexico got a #1 seed (and an easier placing in Group D with Iran and Angola) and the USA didn't, even though we won the hexagonal.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 6, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

The top 8 by FIFA ranking get the seeds in pot A. The other three pots are by continent.

Posted by: PC__ | June 6, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Eh, they jiggered that top 8 last time...based on previous WC performance and other made up stuff.

ESPN showing a 4-4-2. I would take that w/ a grain of salt.

Posted by: Reignking | June 6, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Actually, wikipedia says it's this formula that uses FIFA ranking, but isn't exactly the same.

Posted by: PC__ | June 6, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Crap CR wins -- on the road -- 3-2.

Posted by: Reignking | June 6, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I love how Lalas lives in teh past...I would like them to call in Brian McBride....I think they should play Donovan at the 10 and have BEasley out wide....Jesus man...get some youth on this team. The stars of this team have been there since 98 in some cases.

Posted by: spartyinmd | June 6, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Mexico was seeded in the last World Cup because of their play in the Confederations Cup helped them come into the World Cup ranked higher than us. Matches in the Confederations Cup carry the second most points toward FIFA rankings behind World Cup finals matches. That is why the Confederations Cup is a very important tournament.

Posted by: csd1 | June 6, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Sorry the Gold Cup matches and the Confederations Cup will have the same multiplier but playing higher ranked teams in the Confederations Cup will make those games worth more (ie. Mexico beat Brazil in the 05' Confed Cup)

For specifics:

Posted by: csd1 | June 6, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

30,000 Hondurans. Jesus

Posted by: Kev29 | June 6, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Interesting to see Clark and Mastroeni in the middle. zzzzzzzz

Posted by: Reignking | June 6, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

South Africa will be a seed, too.

Posted by: Reignking | June 6, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

What's Klinsmann up to these days? Not sitting pretty at Bayern anymore, maybe he'll reconsider our offer

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

What's the crowd ratio? 70-30? 80-20?

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Floppin already.

Posted by: Reignking | June 6, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

fing a dempsey

Posted by: you-dont | June 6, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

wow wow wow. nice give away dempsey.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

This campaign just went in to panic mode

Posted by: Kev29 | June 6, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

God, how did we get here?

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Umm... Can Peter Nowak come back to the coaching staff for the rest of qualifying?

Posted by: B_A_ | June 6, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

This is ****ing disgraceful. And can they stop calling this an away game for Honduras? Let's be realistic.

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Nice trap.

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Is Bradley on the hot seat?

Posted by: cr10 | June 6, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

From the looks of things, Bob has some worry sores on his face.

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what manager is going to get this bunch of guys to play better - right now, they're awful

Posted by: Kev29 | June 6, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

we have zero composure on the ball.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Did Mr. Fulham really just do that? Twice?

Posted by: delantero | June 6, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Donovan needs to leave MLS tood sweet. His game has regressed.

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Curse you, bouncy ball!

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 6, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

donovan has had decent services tonight. surprising his teammates, it appears.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I can't take much more of this. Come on Casey. We def need at least one before half.

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh geeze. Here comes the drama.

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

mastro and clark are the same player. spector is good. Should get more CAPS for sure.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

GET...... RID........OF>>>>>>>>>

MAAAAAASSSSTTTRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEENI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He just stood there while the player he was five feet from got the ball.

He isn't defending well, he isn't doing Anything. Only pass forward was a wide open putt shot.

GET RID OF HIM. Rico's doing his job. We need someone who can pass. Now.

I'll take Feilhaber, hell, I'll even take Klejstan. PUT SOMEONE IN, and our offensive output will triple, quadruple, let's just wait and see.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow Donovan made a decent freekick.

Posted by: bighungry | June 6, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

What type of football is this? That was a dive tackle.

Posted by: bighungry | June 6, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

So.....FIFA is now employing MLS ref's? Great no-call on the penalty.

Posted by: RegionRatDC | June 6, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Let's get serious. Put Landon back in midfield. He gets lost up front but he can be creative in midfield and also attack if the opportunity presents itself.

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Karma. If we miss this PK, we're toast.

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

dempsey rarely plays defense.

PK nice! 'bout time.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Why the hell aren't all of our guys surrounding the ref to get a red card on that hand ball???

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

This ref isn't horrible, honestly. He seems much more calm and collected than most, which is a plus.

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Landon is in the midfield. He prefers outside mid which is where he is now.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Well taken goal!!!!!!

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

LANDY-CAKES

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!

Posted by: RegionRatDC | June 6, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

that should have been red, last man blocking a clear chance

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Altidore first touch super sucking.

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that guy crushed Donovan.

Posted by: EssEff | June 6, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

OK - we seem to have finally got 'stuck in.' Hopefully the attach will firm up in 2nd half.

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't even pass to Jozey unless he is in front of goal. He's a scorer not a handler.

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Bad touch by Altidore but where was the support from Pablo or Rico?

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I thought i was the only one that thought taht altidore touch has been awful

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

How the hell did the ref miss that penalty on Clark in the box? It should be 2-1 U.S.

Posted by: hudson22 | June 6, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think that Dempsey will ever learn that he can't dribble through the mid-field? Of course, without that first goal, we'd probably still be nil, nil and the yanks would be cat-footing the ball backwards.

Posted by: RegionRatDC | June 6, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Mexico

HA!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 6, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Clark might have gotten the call if he hadn't already been falling down. I thought it was a no-call.

US is stinking up the joint and got lucky with the PK to Donovan. Bob Bradley needs to go, period.

Posted by: golstriker | June 6, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Have to say even if US gets through to WC, we will be handicaped by lack of size. Even Honduras seem to outsize the US. Last WC the US was pushed off the ball consistently by czechs, croats or whoever.

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Guys, we don't have a better forward than Altidore. He's inexperienced, out of form. But he still will be called up. Unless you want Davies to start? I actually would like to see that happen sometime, but let's keep our Buddles, Findleys, and Guys where they belong.

Based on what I've seen so far, I see no reason not to pen Spector and Bornstein in. They were never hung out to dry. Spector provided the best crosses of the game.

Lalas, Beasley should never see the sun until he lights it up in whatever league he parachutes into.

Let's get someone in who can pass in the midfield. NOWWW.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

While we're at it, how do we get rid of this bozo Rob Stone. We keep having to listen to him year after year. The pregame show was a yawner - no wonder people don't want to watch. And we continue to get Alexi (Flash-in-the-Pan) Lalas. A brief flash as a player, brief flash as coach, brief flash as GM and now ... He was a pedestrian defender who never went anywhere. Is this the best we have for a commentator?

Posted by: golstriker | June 6, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

GOL Striker has a great point. ESPN has better folks on espnsoccernet.com. Why can't we get Shaka and the folks to come on by and grace our presence.....or do they feel they'd be slummin' it?

Posted by: RegionRatDC | June 6, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

bring in klejistan for dempsey, sasha can touch the ball pretty good, we need offensive plays.. We need to take this game, come US vamos

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

We look better to start

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

why is bradley experimenting now????

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

you guys are way too harsh and negative. We are playing ok. I agree that that Alitdor's first touch has been off all night. But he his hustling and working quite hard. Dempsy had one bonehead play and one steller play. The rest he has been ok. The clark take down in the box was clear foul in my mind. No doubt. Awful missed call. Folks really need to chill out. And why are folks blogging during the game instead of watching? (this was written during half time).

Posted by: nyjer1 | June 6, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

man why cant altidore hold that ball so conor cas run???

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

We're doing a lotta passing but no shots. Gotta keep attacking when you enter the penalty area...

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

How Did Dempsey Miss That!!!!

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

dempsey is playing the best game of his life

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

That's it for me. If Dempsey can't finish that, he shouldn't be there. Bring back Brian McBride!

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

What happens to Dempsey when he puts on the U.S. kit? Maybe he should wear his Fulham uniform underneath so he can remember how to play.

Posted by: hudson22 | June 6, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Landon is still the best ball distributer we have. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have anyone who will make the runs up in the attack.

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Dammit, Clint. That's a diving header.

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO-CAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-NEEEEEEEEEEEE-GRAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Posted by: RegionRatDC | June 6, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Palacios collapses on the wrong foot. Good fake, there.

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

My Boys!!!!

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

We scored? I must be on some killer delay...

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Casey is holding better than Jozy tonight.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Hard to believe we are seeing Beasley tonight.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Fail: Beasley.

So now it's a 4-5-1?

Posted by: RegionRatDC | June 6, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

We've have the better part of the flow of play. Would like to see another goal to sort this one out.

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Nice David Bowie reference by Harkesie...

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Clark = Man of the Match?

Posted by: RegionRatDC | June 6, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Bornstein, Spector, Clark, Donovan, Howard - - strong tonight.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

90 mins - with 4 mins extra time...

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

This team (USA) is going to get absolutely killed in the Confederations Cup. We can't even easily handle our CONCACAF opponents. We'll be in trouble when we get outside of the region. We have a lot of "ok" players but not enough to compete at the top level. We are still talking about Landon Donovan as the savior, but he's just not it. A good player, but we still don't have a great finisher, and overall a weak supporting cast.

Posted by: golstriker | June 6, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Beasley is a liability every time he touches it.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Like the way US played in 2nd half. What a difference from the CRC match...

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

tough game, but we won, we won

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

whats the score in the scum vs el salvador

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Agree we should have Beasley free team. Landon should stay in midfield and distribute ball. Still not sold on coaching approach. Like Bruce A's method. Anyway, long way to go and much to improve on. Cheers/ts

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Kc loses, Toronto loses, chicago loses, dc wins, us wins, now all i need is the scum to lose and my weekend is complete

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Minutes 35-90 mucho improved. Nicely done fellas.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 6, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Clark, bornstien, spector and even benny had good games.

wynne needs more time to develop and beasley is still sucking, pablo is not fast enough.

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

beasley should be done until he gets back into form for his club team. end of.

Posted by: you-dont | June 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Bradley is a Bruce Arena clone ... And in a week or so, Bradley is going to see his team get throttled by Italy. How he got the U.S. job is mystery to many. Where did Bob Bradley play? Where did he coach? The Chicago Fire? U.S. should have a higher caliber national team coach with some real world-class pedigree. Bora was the closest we had.

Posted by: golstriker | June 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

SLV 1
MEX 0

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

The worst periods on the field were when Mastroeni or Beasley were on the pitch.

We need someone to sit Bob down and let him know.

When we pushed Beas back to left back, the defense lost control. You saw Gooch having to deal with everything. Beas keeping a ball in bounds was the best play he made.

Bornstein, Spector, Feilhaber, and Clark just rose way up the depth chart.

If Bob replaced Mastroeni with Torres and Beas with Adu, I'd honestly be pretty happy.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Not great but good enough by the USA. Can't wait to see the Confed Cup action.

My ratings for game:

Feilhaber - 7
Demerit - 5
Beasley - 5

Posted by: Cerealman | June 6, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

20 mins left

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Great to see all the negativity in this thread!

Just about every bitter posting proved wrong.

Hehehehe....

Posted by: JkR- | June 6, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I think we found our right back for awhile.

Posted by: Hoost | June 6, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

mexico 1 el salv 1

Posted by: you-dont | June 6, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked Bornstein and Feilhaber. Bring on the youth!

Posted by: carmines757 | June 6, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

mexico just tied 1 - 1 , PK by blanco ( how I hate him )

Posted by: terpfan4141 | June 6, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Tim Howard really rose to a whole new level today.

Posted by: abgcunited11 | June 6, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Finito

Posted by: tfshea | June 6, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

SLV 1
MEX 1

Looks like they escape with a point...

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 6, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

I concur w/whoever said it first: Rico Clark = Man of the Match

Posted by: PVGtownAz | June 6, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

bornstien plays with balls, he is no stop work, we need players like that and his technical skills are way above wynnes, or even hejduk.

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 6, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

How much time left in the Mex game?

Posted by: Hoost | June 6, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Penal penal penal penal!!!!!!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 6, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

GOALLLLL! El Salvador!

2-1, SLV! PK - handball

Posted by: Cerealman | June 6, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

SLV 2, MEX 1 (87th minute)

Posted by: Cerealman | June 6, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

2-1 El Salvador

Hahahaha!

4 + stoppage left

Posted by: Kev29 | June 6, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

A tear of joy is running down my Blanco-hating face.

Posted by: Hoost | June 6, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Mexico scores ... but NO! Disallowed for offsides! :)

Blanco not happy.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 6, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

haha bogus offside call. that was a game-tying gol...

Posted by: PVGtownAz | June 6, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Good day.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 6, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Final

El Salvador 2 Mexico 1

Posted by: sitruc | June 6, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

SLV 2, MEX 1 - final

On offsides goal, the forward who receives the pass appears to be onside but Blanco isn't. The forward than passed the ball to Blanco, which negated a possible tying goal.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 6, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

WHY IS EVERYONE CRYING FOR THE MEXICANT'S calls?

I smell a non-mexican convoy for Concacaf for South Africa.

Such a great feeling..

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 6, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

What a great night in Concacaf World Cup Qualifying. I can't take the smile off my face. A good nights sleep is on the way.

Posted by: croftonpost | June 6, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Mexico in 5th! Bocanegra gets it done! Ticos roll toward South Africa!

It's your favorite soap opera:

"As CONCACAF Turns"

Who will win the Honduras-El Salvador battle?

When will David Suazo's injury heal?

How many goals must Mexico win by against T&T to prevent mass unrest?

Tune In Next Week to SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Posted by: Pedalada | June 6, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Donovan, Clark, Spector! This trio was immense. As was DeMerit filling a tough spot for Bocanegra.

The rest? Middling, but effective enough.

Donovan was clutch. Don't worry, though, I'll give you off Sunday, but as of Monday you go back to being Landycakes!

Posted by: delantero | June 6, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

El Salvador moves up to 3rd place and Mexico drops to 5th!

Cheyo Quintanilla had a better night than Avery John who played for T&T in their home loss to Costa Rica:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 6, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Bad start, but a great turnaround. We completely dominated the last 65-70 minutes and deserved the win. The early goal was Gooch's fault as he went chasing the ball for a second instead of guarding his area. After that, the defense was pretty rock solid until DeMerit got beat toward the end. Spector and Bornstein were very good overall and should see more time.

Midfield was dreadful in the 1 at half but got better later and Benny played well enough (and way better than Mastro). Dempsey and Donovan finally played to their potential in the 2nd half. Casey and Jozy could have done much better with their touches, but they at least had a presence that had to be dealt with.

I am going to diverge from the conventional wisdom and say that I thought the Beasley sub worked well. He had good speed and was a factor in both offense and defense. Would have liked to see Davies come on again, but that's a quibble.

Overall, this was not our best team, but it was a worthy win. We need better balls from crosses, from set pieces and better finishing,but it was nice to see some composure on the ball at last. I have not been a Clark fan, but he had a great game and I would take him in a heartbeat over Klejstan right now. Conor Casey deserves another shot as a Ching-esque forward too.

If nothing else, I feel better about our depth and that no one has much of a guarantee of playing time. Until I get to see the players in practice, and off the field, I will continue to give Bradley the benefit of the doubt.

3 big points!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 6, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"I thought the Beasley sub worked well . . ."

Beasley was fine. Just don't put him at left back! Ives Galarcep sang his praises at that position after Trinidad . . please, the guy is a late game sub in the midfield at best. At least there he can't be too much of a liability so close to goal.

Posted by: delantero | June 6, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

@delantero - agreed. if he ends up in the back again, it better be as the result of our entire defense getting injured at the same time. but i thought he provided some decent help in defense while he was in. since it wasn't his primary responsibility, it meant that he wasn't exposed. i loved that Spector and Bornstein did some good things moving forward. they don't have Wynne's speed, but they have better skill overall and more composure.

my kingdom for a player who can hit the target from outside the 18. how many shots did we take that were nowhere close? and i bet Casey has nightmares about the volley that he sailed over. i would guess he buries that in an MLS match.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 7, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

bornstein sucked
casey clueless
beasley cant mark
beasley cant pass
failhaber is way out of form

thank gosh we have landon and dempsey.

bradley tried as hard as could to lose this one.

thankfully we have enough good players to compensate.

howard good game.
i was impressed with spector defensively. he cant pass though.

clark was much better. he won that pk that wasnt called.

mastroeni needs to retire. old, slow , inconsistent.

altidore needs to score. that one pass from gooch to him would have been spectacular if he could have caught that one.

dempsey has to finish those at point blank range and he did cough up the first goal. but he does so many things positive.

Posted by: castroviejo | June 7, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

should tim howard be that far off his line on the goal that was scored??
just a question, im not sure of the answer.

otherwise he played well.

bornstein sucks.
he is sporadic at best.

Posted by: castroviejo | June 7, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Spector can't pass? You must have missed the first half lob that Spector lifted from the midfield line right onto Casey's head outside of the goal that he, of course, did nothing with. Spector played a great game in almost every respect. It's too bad after being the starting right back in that gold cup everyone remembers Benny playing well in people forgot about Spector.

Posted by: empsg59 | June 7, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I disagree with most of castroviejo's first post. :P

Posted by: sitruc | June 7, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

My overwhelming thought:

It's nice to have Benny back, especially if we're not gonna have Mo.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 7, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what some of you people are smoking. Donovan did not look that good tonight. He jogs (except the one time he lost the ball and chased back after it). He doesn't play D. Watching him, I get the feeling he thinks he's above playing in these matches. He's got talent, but I think he needs to sit some WCQ matches out to understand his place isn't guaranteed and he needs to bust his butt in these games.

Feilhaber was a welcome breath of fresh air. The service to Dempsey was beautiful. I can't make a case to play Cherundolo or Pearce back over Bornstein, although Spector and Hejduk are both serviceable.

Also, stop bringing up Adu. I want to see him do something before I drink the Kool Aid.

Tonight was a good time to see the depth. Clark can step in for Bradley, we have three good CAMs in Feilhaber/Torres/Kljestan, and our fullbacks looked great. Not sold on Casey, though.

Posted by: daandre3 | June 7, 2009 1:53 AM | Report abuse

""Donovan did not look that good tonight. He jogs (except the one time he lost the ball and chased back after it). He doesn't play D""

Are you nuts? He made repeated runs with and without the ball. One play in particular shows how bad your analysis was . . . he sprinted 30 yards with the ball, drew 3 defenders to him on the left, was dispossessed in the corner, makes a run back, takes the ball away from a Honduran and restarts the attack. You really need to watch the game again. Totally wrong about Donovan.

Posted by: delantero | June 7, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse