McTavish's Cause

More than a year ago, I wrote about Devon McTavish's battle with Crohn's disease, a gastrointestinal ailment that has altered his life and career. Today, on D.C. United's blog, Devon revealed that his father has also been diagnosed with the disease and, despite aggressive treatment, has spent considerable time in the hospital. Read more here and consider joining the fight against Crohn's.

On a lighter note, former DCU midfielder Ivan Guerrero, who was sent to Colorado as part of the Christian Gomez trade early this year, has been released by the Rapids. Guerrero, who made no appearances for Colorado, is expected to sign in the Honduran league soon.

By Steve Goff  |  June 17, 2009; 1:28 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Barcelona-MLS Doubleheader
Next: Bafana Bafana, Twellman, CONCACAF

Comments

could we find a use for Guerrero? hmmmm

Posted by: torrey151 | June 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how Guerrero didn't find a home in MLS. He is quality. Would be interested to hear why he didn't get time at CO.

Posted by: nico78 | June 17, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmmm...Guerrero, $154K base, $161K guaranteed. Crayton, $171K base, $178+K guaranteed.

Jus' sayin.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 17, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

@nico78: My guess is that Guerrero didn't get playing time at CO for the same reason Gomez didn't: Colorado is not a well-run organization.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 17, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree with EdTheRed, both posts...

Posted by: combedge | June 17, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

We have a team coming in next season. 2 the following. Has he considered getting in touch with Philly or Portland or Vancouver? He certainly would be an asset to any team. I have asked before, does anyone know where Joe Vide is? The team managed to have the meet and greet before they joined the team and no one met them. I think Louis will probably be the one this year.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

This is becoming a nice trend with the Rapids. Why not ship good players there more regularly and then resign them a year later for less money after CO can't figure out how to use them?

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 17, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If Crayton leaves? Open salary cap for Guerrero?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 17, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Guerrero's departure was a negotiated one. He is going to sign with CD Motagua. No chance of his coming here.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a no brainer if he doesn't sign in Honduras...BRING BACK GUERRERO! He was solid...He played with heart when some didn't last year! You could always use a guy like that...

Posted by: alan19 | June 17, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Who sits if they sign Guerrero? He's a nice player, but DSU has 4 guys doing what he did for the same money combined.

He wasn't a real option at LB, just cover. He was good in the possession game, but I don't recall any goals last year and few assists?

Posted by: JkR- | June 17, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Who's DSU? It's DCU you dope....

And good thought's going to the McTavishes...

Posted by: JkR- | June 17, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

yeah, even if Ivan stayed in MLS, I doubt he'd play for United again - he did not seem very happy at all at how the FO handled his trade. I think he read about it in the paper or got a text message while out of town or something equally as bad, I can't recall the exact details.

Colorado sure seems to piss away all the good players we send them.

Posted by: dcufan | June 17, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Devon's dad. I am quite familiar with that disease as it runs all through my family. It's nasty.

Posted by: dcufan | June 17, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Not that getting Guerrero was an option in the first place, but wouldn't we have to compensate Colorado if we did get him back? Between the money he'd need in his contract and whatever compensation that Colorado would want, I don't think it would be wise to get him back.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 17, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

was there a bong hits for Guerrero club when he was here?

sure seems like it, there are a hella bunch of ivan nutriders today...

DSU (ha) has moved on and has better players now..

good luck in Honduras...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | June 17, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I liked Guerrero when he was here. I think he's a heckuva player. That said...

I don't see him playing at outside midfield. We've got a crowd of good players there.

Maybe we slot him in at left back. Maybe. But even then, I've always felt he's better at outside mid than outside back.

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

OT, and spoiler alert:

If South Africa can learn to shoot the ball, they are going to be very, very fun to watch next summer.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Good grief! He's going to Motagua, not DC.

Move on....

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@dcufan -- My family also has experience with Crohn's. It can be awfully terrifying. Good luck to Dev and his family.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Crohn's and Colitis are both nasty diseases, and even though they are not life-threatening, they are very life altering. David Garrard of the Jax Jaguars and Fernando Pisani of the Edmonton Oilers and other members of my family have it too. I have no clue how people in a contact sport can play with it. More power to Devon!!!

Posted by: IamAM | June 17, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@IamAM -- Actually, the complications from both diseases can be life-threatening. Almost lost my niece.

Posted by: fischy | June 17, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse