Miami Likes Soccer

According to the overnight figures from major TV markets, the USA-Brazil match on ESPN yesterday earned a 2.74 rating. The complete numbers will be available tomorrow, but this game seems certain to join World Cup games against Germany (2002), Ghana (2006) and Colombia (1994) in the top four for all-time viewership for a USA game. So if I understand the system correctly, around 3 million households were tuned into the USA-Brazil match on ESPN.

The top major markets:
1. Miami-Fort Lauderdale
2. Las Vegas
3. New York
4. West Palm Beach
5. Hartford-New Haven
6. Atlanta
7. Richmond
8. Washington, D.C.
9. San Francisco
10. San Diego

[update] These figures are for ESPN only and do not include Univision, which usually attracts a big audience for major international matches.

By Steve Goff  |  June 29, 2009; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Confederations Cup , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Red Bulls Moves
Next: Castillo for USA?

Comments

I dunno, I'd have gone with "Miami Likes Brazil" as the headline.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 29, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

And we're 1-3 in those games.

Posted by: BarkerDavidL | June 29, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

More good news this week for Atlanta...

Posted by: Reignking | June 29, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, I'd have gone with "Miami Likes Brazil" as the headline.

Posted by: EdTheRed

DING!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know what is Goff's record for posts in one day?

Posted by: fischy | June 29, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

do these numbers include Univision?

Posted by: gmail | June 29, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Given that only New York, DC, and San Francisco have MLS teams (I know, I'm stretching it with 2 out of the 3), we now know where the Eurosnob centers are.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 29, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Only three million? Wow...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 29, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

BTW - this is awesome!

I was floored by the mainstream interest in this event post-Spain. Actually, even during the Spain match. This is a good thing.

For MLS though, it's frustrating. We're becoming a country that doesn't hate soccer - but really only tune in for major events. And for 99% of the country, nothing seems major about MLS. Except Beckham, of course.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I-270Exit1,

Don't you mean BrasilSnob? :)

Posted by: B_A_ | June 29, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 29, 2009 4:34 PM

Yes - Eurosnobs watching two teams from the Americas play in Africa. ;-)

I think 'beautiful gamers' would be a more appropriate diss in this instance.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Or 'Soccer Poets' :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

well if it doesn't include Univision and doesn't include all the people at bars, etc. then i don't think that's so bad.

it pales in comparison to the NFL, but's it about what Fox does for its Saturday MLB games, and is better than what ESPN does for its MLB games.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 29, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hmm Las Vegas #2, that's odd. Wonder how many laid down large on the US capturing the Cup. I read somewhere that the line going in was 999 to 1; 666 to 1 to make the final.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | June 29, 2009 4:49 PM

Friend of mine backed us at 12/1 to beat Spain. I don't think you could have gotten that high of odds making the final from the start. Maybe 100/1 - and that's pretty long.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Vegas, baby, Vegas! Either there was a lot of money on the game, or maybe there is something to the idea of putting a MLS club there.

Posted by: ThatsWhyHesHere | June 29, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

People wonder why I am so over the top on the "eurosnob" thing on my podcast and MLS Talk website (and any radio show I make a guest appearance on). Living in the Miami metro area this is eurosnob central. We lost an MLS team and are in the process of losing a USL team. But yet the pubs are packed on Sunday morning for Man U or Liverpool and in the evening for Boca or River Plate.

It's personal interaction that is why I use that term so much on air and in print. These ratings are further proof. West Palm being #4 even makes the point stronger.

Posted by: kkfla7371 | June 29, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Holy shnikes, that's really quite good! I recall reading somewhere earlier today (probably bigsoccer) that anything above a 2.0 is a huge win for ESPN.

Posted by: iammrben1 | June 29, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

It appears that the French were tuned in as well...

Posted by: eubh223 | June 29, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Think global people. The word "Eurosnob" refers to all US residents who sneer at American soccer. They watch Brazil because of the Euroclub stars.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 29, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Richmond? As in Richmond, VA?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 29, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

How come Richmond was so high?

Posted by: WorldCup | June 29, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | June 29, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

What you're recalling is that the odds were 999-1 immediately before the Egypt game -- that is, when we were 0-2 and needed a miracle to even advance past the group stages. At that point some guy in England laid down $50 on the US and stood to win $50K if the US had held on against Brazil.

Posted by: Hokienautic | June 29, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"How come Richmond was so high?"

busy lunch hour at the Texas de Brazil Churrascaria?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 29, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

""The word "Eurosnob" refers to all US residents who sneer at American soccer""

According to our recent Football v Football panel, you mean "UnAmerican, communist, foreign sympathizers who support girly sports that any elderly person could play"

Good for ESPN. Good for futbol .

Posted by: delantero | June 29, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Richmond is a major market? That's cute.

Posted by: sitruc | June 29, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

So, will the Catrachos make a political statement -- like the Iranian team's green ribbons -- when the Honduras team comes to RFK next week?

Posted by: fischy | June 29, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Viva Richmond United

Posted by: csd1 | June 29, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

@sitruc

According to the interwebs, Richmond is the 58th largest TV market, just behind Albany and just before Knoxville.

It's amazin' what you learn on SI!

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 29, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I meet a lot of people down here in Atlanta that have no interest in any club team (the term 'commie kickball' once came up at a restaurant with MLS on the TV) but will tune in for a big international game. They may dislike the sport, but they LOVE the flag.

Posted by: DCU-ATL | June 29, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Commie Kickball? Sounds like a good name for a rec team. Wait, isn't that Chicago's WPS team?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 29, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iammrben1 | June 29, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

ESPN paid nothing for the rights (they're thrown in free when you buy the WC), the video came from the world feed, and the announcers were back in Bristol, so the whole thing was dirt cheap. Anything above about 0.3 justifies being on. This rating represents a tidy little profit for them.

As far as respectful and in-depth coverage, I've observed that there's a "magic number" of somewhere around 1 million viewers. The Champions League Final got significantly more attention when it hit this number.

Posted by: stancollins | June 29, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Bring back the FUSION!!!
ok, just kidding but it's good to see Miami representin', and that's without univision??? Wow.

Posted by: mason16 | June 29, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Hartford-New Haven? That's surprising. Why don't we get more USMNT matches at UConn's football stadium, then? Storrs is right outside Hartford, and the stadium seats 43,000, which is pretty good for a high-profile friendly where we don't want to be outnumbered (i.e. Mexico, Argentina). Also, NYC isn't too far away, and neither is Boston nor Providence (a suburb of which I would gladly travel from).

Then again, Mr. Kraft does have quite a considerable amount of cash to through at the USSF in exchange for putting more matches up at Gillette Stadium. Even if we only fill up about 1/3 of the stadium...

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 29, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Richmond? As in Richmond, VA?
______________________________________________

My guess is that the Richmond market includes all of Southeast Virginia; i.e., Williamsburg, Virginia Beach & Hampton Roads.
Altogether, that's a surprisingly big & high growth quasi-metropolitan area.

Posted by: Stevenho | June 30, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Altogether, that's a surprisingly big & high growth quasi-metropolitan area.

Posted by: Stevenho | June 30, 2009 9:13 AM

I was curious about that too - but it appears Hampton Roads/Norfolk/VB are a media market unto themselves. And larger than Richmond at that.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 30, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing since Univision gets higher numbers that probably 10million folks watched the game. The high numbers dont say that Miami only watches international games...its says that they watch high quality soccer. Ditto for only-8k-to-mls NY and only-10k-to-mls SJ/SF. If MLS opens up the salary cap, then I'd say Vergara and his bunch in Miami should be successful. That would give the league representation in all areas of country- necessary for national tv contracts. Except for Montreal, i say no more expansion (keep at 19!). Lets solidify everything, take some teams into the stratosphere (30-40k), and make money before opening up shop anywhere else.

Posted by: alespar415 | June 30, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Kartik,
dont bag on eurosnobs bag on MLS HQ for not allowing the signing of players who can bring those eurosnobs to the stadium.

Posted by: alespar415 | June 30, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse