MLS Misadventures

There were PKs, an own goal and a red card over the weekend, but three follies by MLS defenders that led directly to goals were most troubling. Which was the most egregious? Judge for yourself:

DCU's Avery John vs. Colorado:

Seattle's Tyrone Marshall vs. New York (Marshall also had a game-tying own goal Wednesday):

New York's Jeremy Hall vs. Seattle:

By Steve Goff  |  June 22, 2009; 11:02 AM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: DCU Stadium Update

Comments

Mr Goff - was wondering if you could look into a few small things (like you have the time!) from the san jose/galaxy game this past weekend. i have read numerous accounts of how poor the referees are in MLS, and this might be why. I was half paying attention but I could have sworn that the referee called an offside on a SJ throw in - we all know that is not possible.

Secondly, later in the half it seemed as if he set up a wall on a free kick no closer than 15 yards - now a few inches/feet when trying to get a wall set at 10 yards is one thing, to be that far off seemed as insane to me as it did to the SJ player, but he got the yellow card, I did not.

If my eyes are not failing me, how can it be THIS bad in MLS? Its unacceptable, no?

Posted by: bksoccer1 | June 22, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Gotta be Mr. John. Almost as beautiful as Emilio's through ball to Montero on Wednedsay.

Posted by: the_slammer | June 22, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Avery's has to be the most boneheaded. Did he not bother to look where he was passing it?

Tyrone Marshall's was an accident...yes, why was he one timing that long ball when he had plenty of space and time to trap it and pass it forward? Who knows. Still bad luck that it bounces right off his teammate and straight into the path of Angel.

Jeremy Hall should have cleared that instead of dribbling it, but at least it was a good play by Montero to strip it.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | June 22, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Avery John, hands down. The Hall giveaway to Montero is arguably just a very, very fine play on Montero's part with the perfect slide tackle and quick reaction when it worked; the Marshall one looked like it was a super-strong clear that just flat-out caught him off guard and pinballed.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | June 22, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Avery John. He just passed the ball to get rid of it with out really looking. The other two at least were bad luck and a good play be montero.

Posted by: jjfooty | June 22, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

John's was the worst...

Great tackle of Montero, though. That was sweet.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Avery John

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 22, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I probably will be the only one to come to John's slight defense. He passed it to get rid of it but still you have two center backs who are not paying attention to the ball, a BIG miscommunication and they (TWO players) get beat on a footrace.
So John is partly to blame for that mistake. Dont give him alll the credit. He takes 65% for the beautiful no-look pass. The centers take 35% for not covering gap and plug the holes for mistakes.

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 22, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Hall's was the worst in my opinion, but nothing was as bad (or good) as Marshall's own goal on Wednesday :)

Posted by: GoUnited | June 22, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

MLS refs stink! Cummings was obviously offside on the John backpass and the goal should have been disallowed.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Duh.

I think you mean "offsides".

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1

I don't disagree that MLS refs aren't that good, but they do know the rules.

However, you can't be offside on a defensive backpass.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | June 22, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I think the sarcasm filter is broken on SI today.

Posted by: Reignking | June 22, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Re: bksoccer1

I, too, was watching the SJ/LA game when the referee (Toledo, I think) marked off a distance that did indeed look to be about 15 yards, not 10. Then a Galaxy player got a yellow when he insisted standing where he thought 10 yards should be and not where the ref was setting up the wall. You can't do that which is why he got the yellow, but it was more than 10 yards. How hard is it to count off 10 steps?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 22, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

How hard is it to count off 10 steps?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 22, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

==========================

I have seen refs in high school games that can not mark off 10 yards on a field that is marked for football.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 22, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Totally OT, but looks like ESPN got the EPL rights that Setanta used to have:

However, it doesn't say whether those games will be available in the US.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 22, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Ives is reporting that ESPN did snag the La Liga rights for broadcast in the US.

Posted by: mbyrd28 | June 22, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@Juan-John

I read on the NY Times soccer section that Setanta-US (subsidiary)is NOT going under and will retain it's US rights for BPL for next year.

Not saying it's true, but it was a copy of a Setanta-US press release. Of course, it was on the internet and therefore likely to be untrue...

Posted by: JkR- | June 22, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

There is no room on Soccer Insider for sarcasm, pop culture references, music lyrics, restaurant recommendations, thoughtful insight on the news of the day, right- and left-wing ideology, post-game analysis, or player ratings.

And certainly no puns.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 22, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@bksoccer1

I too was watching that game. Yes the distance of ten yards was terrible. Thats no biggie because I also have seen refs fail to judge ten yards when there are football lines to help.

The real sad thing was the offsides call on the throw in. I just started laughing and shook my head.

Ives wrote a column about a month ago saying the reffing is improving so don't worry.

And Avery Johns was the worst. Just dump it into the corner and go into the half down 1 not 2-0.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 22, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The mail just arrived, and I just got a "cease and desist" letter from Hope Solo. Her lawyer cites this language from the Post web site Ibelow):
"Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed."

BlackandRedRedDevil, any suggestions on how to proceed?

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 22, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

And certainly no puns.

====

What about historical references? I've got a boatload, or three, of Spain-related ones ready for this week.

Posted by: mason08 | June 22, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Did the offside on the throw in flick off of an attacking player? Could it have looked like it did?

Posted by: mason08 | June 22, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_slammer

Agree on both points.

Posted by: soyinocente1 | June 22, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps this explains Italy's demise this past week:

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 22, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: I-270Exit1

I don't disagree that MLS refs aren't that good, but they do know the rules.

However, you can't be offside on a defensive backpass.

Posted by: BigBubba1 | June 22, 2009 12:32 PM |
----------------------------------------------

I am left speechless....

I was going to join in with I-270, as I was going to make the same joke. It has been ruined.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse