MLS Observations

NO DRAWS
Nine straight league matches without a tie? What's going on here?

MVP AGAIN?
Never in MLS history has a player won consecutive most valuable player awards, but with a league-high 10 goals in 13 appearances and the defending champion Crew back on track, Columbus's Guillermo Barros Schelotto is among the top candidates for the top honor again. The 36-year-old had a two-goal game for the second straight weekend as the Crew defeated Chivas USA, 2-1, and moved into a three-way tie for third place in the East, just three points behind front-running D.C. United.

STREAKERS
New York has gone an MLS-record 20 straight regular season road games without a victory; L.A.'s 10-game unbeaten run ended; DCU is 4-0-4 at home; Chicago suffered its first road loss after four wins and three ties; Columbus is 4-0-5 in its past nine matches; Houston has won five straight and is on an 8-0-2 charge; RSL ended a six-game road winless streak; and San Jose's away skid reached seven (0-6-1).

INSTANT WINNER
Four days after being traded by San Jose to Houston, Cam Weaver scored twice for the Dynamo, which is suddenly tied with Chivas for first place in the West.

BUMBLING BULLS
Following a 2-1 loss at Toronto, Juan Carlos Osorio's regular season record with the Red Bulls dropped to 12-21-12. Did you ever notice he's always jotting down notes during the match? What do they say?

Some possibilities:

"New York Red Bulls = Washington Nationals"
"Maybe Manchester City will take me back as the conditioning coach"
"We were in MLS Cup seven months ago? Seriously?"
(Your suggestions are welcome in the comments section)

*Richard Mulrooney's screamer at Dallas:

By Steve Goff  |  June 14, 2009; 9:18 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Open House
Next: USA-Italy Countdown

Comments

Osorio's notes:

-Tide
-Gallon Skim Milk
-Just For Men Touch of Grey
-Offense
-Midfield
-Defense
-Parmesan

Posted by: Logan_Circle | June 14, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

"New York has gone an MLS-record 20 straight regular season games without a victory".

You mean 20 straight road games.

Posted by: dubya21 | June 14, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

- Tell Rojas to get a hair cut.

Posted by: dcarlson81 | June 14, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

More Osorio notes:

"Idea: 3-6-1?"

"Replacing Van den Bergh with Smith saved us some salary cap space. What if we replaced Angel with Chad Barrett? Similar savings!"

"Email NYRB execs daily reminder of incriminating photos that will shockingly come to light upon my firing."

"Apologize to Angel and Celades for making them play at Giants Stadium/with the rest of these talentless oafs"

"Short man sitting next to me on bench says I'm actually the head coach of a real life team, and not just playing Football Manager 2009. Investigate."

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 14, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

More Osorio notes:
"check Priceline for price of one-way ticket to Columbia"
"Call Sven for more coaching tips"

Posted by: jmingus | June 14, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

You mean 20 straight road games.

Posted by: dubya21 | June 14, 2009 9:40 PM

******************************

Yeah, Goff, something does not compute in your NY streak. We can hope they go 20 games in a row without a win but they've won a whopping 2 out of 15 regular season games this season.

Don't give up now Red Bulls, we'd like to see the the prophecy come true!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 14, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

We know those numbnuts that run RBNY won't fire Osario so each we he adds a sentence or two to his resignation letter while sitting on the pine.

Posted by: MichaelVann7 | June 14, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

What a joy it was to see GBS at work today. Always calm on the ball, always a step ahead of everyone else.....he is the anti-Chad Barrett. Neither goal were smashed.....simple perfectly placed shots that gently rolled in the back of the net. Awesome.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 14, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

"Broadcast Booth? (if Bretos gets $$$, how hard can it be?)"

Posted by: Pedalada | June 14, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Osorio was making notes about the best way to attack W Connection, he's obviously made the Champions League his first priority this season.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | June 14, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

"Check lease to see how much I can break it for"

Big ups to Houston -- they keep taking discarded players and turning them into gems. Ashe's assist on Weavers 2nd was silly.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

So Steve, are you on a 24/7 schedule?

Man, it's great for us, but at some point you've got to burn out, which won't be at all great for us.

Take care. We do need you match fit.

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 14, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

"Remember to call and ask Henry if he still wants to play here"

"Ask for flip out desk top for bench seat at Red Bull Arena"

"Blame low salary cap"

"If we move Kandji to the left, Cepero to the right midfield..."

Good weekend of games.

Sleep well everyone, see you all at 10, or the very least 2:25.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 14, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Apologies for the NY streak error; it's been fixed. Thanks for the head's up!

Posted by: Steve Goff | June 14, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

"Our back line wouldn't be so bad with our superstar Boyens in there to provide good clearances like the one today against Spain."

"Does Dane Richards have any technique?"

"When do I get the fat Ronaldo I was promised from the front office?"

"Why does Dane Richards dribble over the touch line so much?"

"Dave Van Dan Bergh for Smith, that was a good one..."

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 14, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm DCU to the core but what Houston has been able to do over the last number of years is terribly impressive. The consistent quality, at least by season's end, is spectacular.

Houston is the team DCU needs to match to scale the heights & stay up there. I don't at all enjoy saying it, but we have long way to go. This isn't about who you route for, it's simply about a quality organization through and through. I can't say I know a lot about what it is they're going but the proof is in the pudding.

On their good days it's my belief they could go down to South or Central America and give most teams a run for their money.

On a completely unrelated note, I miss Etcheverry's outside of the foot passes to the forwards. Man, were those beautiful & confounding as hell to the defenders. One of the best Bolivian players ever. I so miss watching him play. Just beautiful.

As always, Vamos United!

Posted by: KireDCU | June 15, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Osorio:

"Let's see, if I put the X in the lower left corner to counter Richie's O in the center box..."

"These are my words." (ref-Gross Pointe Blanke).

"The heck with the Time's crossword. I'm going back to Suduku."

"Doggone it, sooner or later I'm going to come up with SOMETHING funnier than an I-270 post...

Posted by: throwin | June 15, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

I kinda expected Weaver to start scoring when he got to Houston. That is one well-coached team. I suppose the USSF will come calling on Klinsmann again someday, but they could do worse than pick Kinnear to replace Bradley...when Coach Bob is done. Kinnear puts average talents in positions where they can enjoy wild successes.

Posted by: fischy | June 15, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Osorio's Notes:

"This club is a poisoned chalice."

Posted by: RedDevil1 | June 15, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

"all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...[repeat ad infinitum]"

Posted by: troy6 | June 15, 2009 2:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KireDCU
---------------------------------------

Then watch Egypt in the Confed Cup - they have two players who do it a ton, in fact I think one of them passes exclusively with the outside of the foot. It carved up defenses like crazy in last year's African Cup of Nations.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 15, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

@KireDCU - I missed Echeverry's outside of the foot passes to the forwards as well.
For old time's sake, it was good to see Carlos Valderrama at the Real Maryland FC soccer clinic yesterday in Rockville. Kyle Beckerman's passing abilities and vision of the field remind me of El Pibe somewhat.

Posted by: billindmd | June 15, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Good new for the Confed Cup, Italy are missing two of their CBs. That means when we play them today they will only have one, so either they will have to change formations or play someone out of position.

Bad news, they are still way better than us.

Posted by: bighungry | June 15, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

It was just one game but I suspect that my hunch about Cam Weaver's move to Houston may have been right: Kinnear & Houston are a better fit to bring out the best in the kid.

Of course, time will tell.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 15, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

""This club is a poisoned chalice."
Posted by: RedDevil1
=============

First half mnemonics:
-The pellet with the poison is in the flagon with the dragon.
-The Chalice with the palace has the brew that is true.

Second half mnemonics:
-The pellet with the poison is in the chalice with the palace.
-The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 15, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Goal.com reported Italia line up:

Buffon, Grosso, Legrottaglie, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Gattuso, De Rossi, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Gilardino, Iaquinta.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 15, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

@I-270Exit1: Points for the Danny Kaye reference!

Posted by: mmathai1 | June 15, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Off topic. With this interview Jermain Jones eliminates the possibility of ever playing for Germany.

"When somebody looks at me, I'm not the perfect German. When I look at people in the States, they look more like me. In Germany with my tattoos people say, 'Ooh, he's not a good man.' But look at Beckham, he has tattoos and no one says that. Maybe because I don't have blue eyes and blonde hair. But that is not a problem for me. I don't have a good feeling about stuff in Germany."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 15, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

You guys were right about those nice outside boot passes. Eygpt's vision is a joy to behhold. Are they out-Braziling Brazil?

Posted by: dpowellutkedu | June 15, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse