MLS Officiating.....Again

*That controversial penalty kick called against D.C. United in the waning moments last weekend at New England? Bad decision by the linesman, according to the USSF, which oversees officiating in MLS.

"There is minimal contact. The contact is doubtful, soft and trifling. It does not prevent the attacker from playing the ball nor does it cause him to misplay the ball. The attacker is falling backward on his own volition. The minimal contact by the defender does not contribute to the attacker's fall. This is a 50/50 call that must be left to the referee, who is positioned much closer. The assistant referee is not in 'rhythm' with the referee's decisions as they have developed throughout the match. In other words, the decision is not clear enough to differ from the management style exhibited by the referee to that point in the match. Although not the best line of vision, the referee does have a decent perspective and is much closer to the situation than the AR. Given the unclear nature of the contact, the challenge should be considered 'beyond the AR's area of control.' "

This marks the third time in 13 games that the USSF has publicly criticized officiating decisions in United matches: the failure to stop play for a serious injury in the opener at Los Angeles and the missed offside call against Chivas USA.

UPDATE: Here's a link to Goff's full story on the USSF review.

*A good matchup tonight in MLS as Houston (5-2-3) visits Chicago (5-1-6) at Toyota Park (9 p.m. ET, Direct Kick). Both clubs are undermanned because of international duty: Brian Ching (also injured) and Ricardo Clark for the Dynamo, Cuauhtemoc Blanco, Gonzalo Segares and Bakary Soumare for the Fire.

*Tomorrow's big game: Seattle (4-2-5) vs. Chivas USA (7-2-3) at Home Depot Center (10:30 p.m. ET, Direct Kick).

Anyone else going to the John Prine-Steve Earle show tonight at Wolf Trap? See ya there. Bring your rain gear.

By Steve Goff  |  June 5, 2009; 2:13 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS , Soccer and music
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: USA vs. Honduras
Next: Matchnight: USA-Honduras

Comments

Concur with that USSF judgement. That called could have been made properly without the need of super human skills.

Posted by: csd1 | June 5, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

With a few expletives deleted, that's almost a word-for-word transcription of what I yelled at the t.v. during the match. Uncanny!

Posted by: MrKrys | June 5, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Wish we had those six points we're missing from these BS calls.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

it's actually only 4 points. But still...

Posted by: fedssocr | June 5, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

And what, pray, is the punishment, if any, for the erring referee? I want points back for the awful errors that prevented us from winning in NE and LA (phantom hand ball), but I know that won't happen. At this point, I would settle for a public flogging.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 5, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Decided to skip the Prine/Earle combo. I am going to the David Byrne show tomorrow night. Saw him at Warner Theater last fall, and it was an amazing show. This means I'm DVRing the USA-Honduras match. Let's have no spoiler comments on this blog....Please confine all comments tomorrow night to non-USA matches....

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

it's also interesting that they decided not to talk about the PK McBride got by falling down also in the Chicago-Chivas game. I guess they wanted to stay focused on this AR involvement issue this week though.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 5, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

In other words, the ref should have shown confidence in his own "no foul" judgment. He made a good call, and blew it by listening to the AR. How many refs would follow this rule if the AR was signaling for a penalty shot? They don't want to read the appears the next day describing their failure to see and call a penalty, especially if the AR did see it...

Is the USSF saying the AR shouldn't have signaled for a foul, since the ref waved off any foul? That would be the way to avoid this..., but should the AR not call for foul when he believes he sees one?

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Not to keep this going, but isn't it three points? Two from the win turned into a draw in LA, one from the draw turned into a loss in foxboro? Or at most five, if you count chivas?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 5, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Steve, is Rush opening for Prine tonight?

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 5, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

fedssocr

It is five points total.

a tie in LA that should have been a win (2-1)took two away
a tie at Chivas that should have been a win (2-1)took two away
a loss at NE (1-1) that should have been a tie gave one point away.

Posted by: no_recess | June 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Ode to the Designated Player
(a/k/a Juan Pablo's lament)

Make me an Angel who flies at Aston Villa
Make me a poster of an old Atletico
Just give me something that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I devalue the chivas offsides really because it was so early that of changed the complexion of the match, who knows what would have happened?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

For all of us who can't be there, enjoy the show. Steve is the MAN.

Posted by: lrg1231 | June 5, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Steve can sport raingear and his topical new "motel tan"....

Posted by: 22206no1 | June 5, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Here's where the USSF guidance is absurd:

With respect to the first penalty in the Fire-Chivas match, they approve of the AR's call, saying he had a better view of the situation and the foul was clear, so his call was correct.

With respect to the DCU-Revs penalty, the USSF says the foul was too far out of the AR's area of control, and inconsistent with the referee, and contact was minimal, so it's wrong for him to signal.

The thing is -- the fouls occurred in nearly the same place on the field. Moreover, the refs are standing in almost exactly the same place, in both games, when the contact occurs.

It seems to me the reason the AR is right to signal in one and not the other is that one is a good call and the other may not be. That's no guidance at all.

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

McTavish could/should have been whistled for a PK for holding back Goldthwaite on the late-game Rojas free kick through the box. Wonder if USSF will review that non-call, or the PK that Gomez earned.

Posted by: tab5g1 | June 5, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

@BlackandRedRedDevil -- Dude!!! Nice work. Possibly my favorite song. Especially as covered by Bonnie Raitt.

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

At this point, I would settle for a public flogging.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 5, 2009 2:41 PM

*******************

This is a pretty public reprimand and is the closest to a public flogging you will see.

Fischy, I think the part of the USSF statement about the "rhythm" of the game is important. Like in most games, there were probably a hundred other instances of minimal or trifling contact that could have been called fouls but were not whistled. The ref decides what fouls he thinks are significant enough to stop play and which are merely trifling. In this case, a trifling incident was incorrectly called a foul by the AR.

DC won't get any points back but it's good to see the USSF is making note of the decision and calling attention to it. It will probably impact the AR in the future assignments he receives. Doesn't mean we'll never see him again but, like players, refs should be able to learn from mistakes and improve their performance.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 5, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@Joel -- how is that different from one game to the other? The USSF says the ref wasn't in a good position to call the foul on Chivas, so somehow the AR was right to call it. That call didn't interfere with the rhythm of the game? How so? Because it was fairly early?

If you look at both clips, the ref is in almost the exact same spot. If anything, it seems to me the ref in NE was farther from the play (contact was more central there -- and at HDC, the contact was more towards the ref's side of the field). The ref in NE was more likely to have been screened by Twellman's own body.

To me, the major difference is that the play at HDC happened in a flash, and it was more likely the ref missed the foul, whereas the play in NE was slower, so the ref probably had a better idea of the contact. On the other hand, you could flip that on its head and say the AR probably also had a better view without the need to make a snap judgment.

Of course, the other major difference was that Twellman wasn't really fouled.

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

fischy -- it's Dudette, but I assume you meant it in an inclusvie way. Unless joedoc chimes in otherwise, I think I'm John Prine's only right-wing Republican fan!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 5, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

You might also be the only right-wing Republican Dudette. At least, outside of the Cheney and Buchanan families....

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Joel_M_Lane: do we have any evidence of refs at this level learning from mistakes and improving their performance? I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon; it's just hard to not be discouraged, because I don't see any evidence at all that the standard of refereeing is improving. In fact, it seems like it's getting worse.

For years now, thanks to MLS Direct Kick and a DVR; I used to watch nearly every match, each week. At this point in this season, I'm watching my team, and maybe one other match. I don't have the enthusiasm for watching other matches as a neutral like I used to, and the biggest reason for that is the officiating. The excessive possibility that a match will be determined by a ref's bad call, and that the story of the game will be about the official rather than the teams, has made watching matches as a neutral a lot less fun. So I don't.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | June 5, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Or "Make me an Angel who flies away from Jersey."

Nicely done, btw.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | June 5, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"The contact is doubtful, soft and trifling."

Soft and trifling . . that pretty much sums up Taylor Twellman!

Or more accurately, 4 time MLS CUP loser Taylor Twellman.

Posted by: delantero | June 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

speaking of spoiling...

Has anyone else been spoiled by the mls.net front page or "match center?"

I was going to watch the archive of the RBNY DCU game today but was spoiled with Quaranta crashes the net

"Santino Quaranta crashes the net and knocks one in to put DC United ahead, 06/04. 400K | 800K "

And

"Moreno wins on PK
Jaime Moreno secures the win over the Bulls with a final solid kick on the goal, 06/04. 400K | 800K"

What is with this???

Posted by: lprevolution | June 5, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't know John Prine if he walked up to me and whacked me in the head with a peace sign and spilled Apogee water all over me.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 5, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Are there other cases of USSF calling out officials from other games, or are these three for United the only ones? Just curious to see if there have been more bad / game deciding calls against DC than others, or if we're just hearing it here because it's what Goff found.

Five points has us in 1st.

Posted by: eadc | June 5, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

It is five points total.

a tie in LA that should have been a win (2-1)took two away
a tie at Chivas that should have been a win (2-1)took two away
a loss at NE (1-1) that should have been a tie gave one point away.

Posted by: no_recess | June 5, 2009 2:52 PM

I only count 3 points. The ruling in the opening match against LA was just that the ref should have stopped play immediately after McT and Janicki collided. That didn't directly lead to a goal, although LA did score shortly afterwards while both were off the field. It's unfortunate that USSF never gave a ruling on the supposed Wallace handball in the same match.

I check mlsnet.com every morning to see if they've given us the 3 extra points that we deserve after these rulings. No update yet. I'll keep you posted.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 5, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@ fischy: David Byrne plans to update the score between songs.

@lprevolution: It really annoys me no end when the MLS site reports scores from MLS matches. The Post too! I had planned to read all of this week's newspapers over the wekend, but every damned time I open Post.com it says Obama this, Economy that. Those inconsiderate Gr*ng*s.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

...Now, Gordon Lightfoot... that's a guy I'd like to hang out and drink a beer with.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 5, 2009 3:27 PM | ---------------

Amen! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 5, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

@dcumd -- no one needs the USSF to chime in on that phantom handball call in LA. It was a bad call. It's not arguable, since it's not a question of intention, etc. It never even touched Wallace's hands or arms. The ref stole that game from DCU.

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

John Prine shuns Gordon Lightfoot.

When Gordo grows up, he wants to be John Prine...

Speaking of which, I think I'll be shunning Wolf Trap tonight. As an aging veteran, I can no longer stand / sit in the rain 2 nights consecutively...

Breaking a streak, I think, as I have seen John Prine there perhaps five times...

Posted by: JkR- | June 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@lprevolution -- the way to avoid that would be to record the game yourself and watch it.

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Great, USSF just tells us what we know (though they didn't add anything about how Twellman can only truly be described by using profanity).

I think Chicago-Houston, with the teams at full strength, would be the best possible matchup in MLS based on recent form and overall strength. Seeing them without so many top players will instead show us a lot about the depth both claim. For what it's worth, Houston can replace Ching and Clark to a certain extent with players of a similar type. Chicago, meanwhile, has no proper replacement for Blanco (they'll switch formations to adjust), while they also lack another defender as fast as Soumare. It's also worth pointing out that Wilman Conde is doubtful with a shoulder sprain, so Chicago will be struggling at both ends of the field. I think Houston's going to take this one, provided Kamara is sharp up front (I don't have particularly lofty expectations for Wondolowski, Akinbiyi, or Oduro as the varying replacements for Ching).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean Namoff gets his $250 fine refunded?

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 5, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

You might also be the only right-wing Republican Dudette.
Posted by: fischy
=================

Dude. Duuude. Duuuuuude. Ever been to upper MoCo?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 5, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Doc is proudly a right-wing Dudette, I am proud to report.

Dadryan, I can't believe my Apogee reference has gone without response...

As for you, JkR, may your six-string acoustic guitar be riddled with carpenter ants.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 5, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I'll see your Gordon Lightfoot and I'll raise you Stan Rogers.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 5, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

So with DCU only having one non-playmaker off on national team duty (Avery John) and other supposedly contending teams having several, would that mean that a closer-to-full-strength DCU has a good chance of picking up some more points? Or did I just jinx the team by thinking/asking that?

Posted by: Juan-John | June 5, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Barrett's Privateers rule! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 5, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"trifling"

Did the Junkies write that review?

Posted by: Reignking | June 5, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

You might also be the only right-wing Republican Dudette.
Posted by: fischy
=================

Dude. Duuude. Duuuuuude. Ever been to upper MoCo?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 5, 2009 4:01 PM |

-----------------------------------------------

Worse. I've been to upper Frederick County and Washington County. The good news is the good guys are making inroads in the city of Frederick. It's only a matter of time that county starts to go the way of my native New York, as enlightenment comes to outer suburban and exuburban areas....

I was only teasing....

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 5, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

That is quality abuse. Well in!

Posted by: JkR- | June 5, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

This changes nothing.

Posted by: sitruc | June 5, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 5, 2009 3:27 PM | ---------------

Amen! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | June 5, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitchee Goomee
Superior, they say, never gives up her dead
When the skies of November turn gloomy...

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 5, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

USSF Officiating should have a 'Report Abuse' link on their web site...Tom Soehn would be clicking it like a rat on crack.

Shunning hasn't worked....

Posted by: JkR- | June 5, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

joedoc, steve earle wrote a song called "Amerika" . . . . are you sure you don't want to go?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 5, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"It's only a matter of time that county starts to go the way of my native New York"

Yeah. You can get some pretty good bagels in Frederick.

(I think I've just been shunned by an entire diaspora)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 5, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Gordon Lightfoot doesn't drink any more. He had a rather long bout with alcohol problems in the 70's/80's. For a guy in his 70s he's in pretty remarkable shape. He had an abominal aneurism a few years ago that would have killed anyone not in as good physical condition.

---
I think the "handball" call on Wallace in the first game was just so incredibly bad and awful that Tamberino and Hall had no need to address it.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 5, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought the press release itself was pretty funny. It starts off by explaining how it is not a foul, then says it is a 50/50 call? No, it was a no call, period!

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 5, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" pretty much captures the U.S.-Costa Rica match: "The U.S. it's said always gives up for dead, when the goals at Saprissa come early."

Posted by: dccal | June 5, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Best. Thread. Ever.

Posted by: JkR- | June 5, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

USSF = D'uh police

Posted by: StewartDC8 | June 5, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Amerika? Sheesh. Earle must be a happy man now. Goff, wave a Little Red Book for me, will ya?!

diaspora... I used to wear their shoes in the early 90s. Don't think they sell them in the States, uh, er, Amerika anymore.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 5, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm outta here. Tomorrow is not a workday, but it once was...

Commute

Workplace

Retirement

A grateful nation remembers.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 5, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

With the match officials having already cost DCU 5 points this season (and adding to it the abysmal officiating from Terry "I-Am-God's-Gift-To-Soccer" Vaughn from last night's match), it's clear the referees are biased.
Can we:
(A) add 3 more players to the field to even the teams out;
(B) bring our own officiating crew; or
(C) start the match up 1 goal to make up for the one they will inevitably screw up?

Posted by: carnack | June 5, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Landon's Lament (I'm on a roll today)
(this is for you Juan-John)

G*&^mn them all,
I was told
we'd cruise the seas for an American goal
Lose no games, shed no tears,
Now I'm a broken man in my 27th year
The last of Bradley's Privateers.

Goodnight, have a nice weekend, see you all Monday. (Sighs of relief as the crowd realizes I'm gone for the day.)

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 5, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

One last thing: Amen to what I-270 said about tomorrow.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 5, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I oppose torture.

But these refs are pushing me to the dark side.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 5, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

I saw Steve Earle a long time ago in a rowdy smallish venue in Hoboken and John Prine a couple of years ago here in DC. Both fun in different ways - enjoy tonight. I'd be there too if my kids didn't have end of school year social schedules/sports schedules that make my college social schedule look sad (and they require some parental participation). I might try to catch some of the second half of Houston/Chicago when it all settles down.

B&RRD - very nice work. I have a female neighbor who voted for W at least once (not quite a wing nut, but at least center/right-ish) who also likes John Prine so there is at least one semi-kindred spirit out there - not at all a soccer person, however.

Posted by: sportsparenttoo | June 5, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I guess your right about it being 5 points. Or is it 3?

@joedoc: When I read the words Prine, Earle, and Wolf Trap I pull up stakes and throw on a Melvins record or something... I can't hang.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I officially have no idea of who any those people/artists are...

Oh well, I guess I'll just listen to Matt and Kim and wait for that game since nothing else good is on. (Why can't Psych hurry up and get here?)

Oh, and I threw my Burn Notice review on the last thread, Joedoc

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey fischy,

sorry, I couldn't get those videos from USSF to play. Rather than differentiate b/w the late PK calls in Chivas-Chicago and NE-DC, I was mostly trying to state my approval that the AR from NE-DC who made the late call got rebuked somewhat.

As far as the call that McBride earned earlier in the week it looked "fischy" to me. But I wondered whether or not a better endzone view of the play might have surfaced that would justify the decision. It looked like it was probably a bad call but I wasn't as certain as I was on the Twellman situation (based on what I remember seeing in those games via TV replays).

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 5, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Prine/Goodman wrote You Never Even Call Me By My Name which is right up there with Angel From Montgomery, unless you're subjected to the OWNTF version very late on karaoke night . . . . .

and also they wrote "How Much Tequila Did I Drink Last Night"

dang . . . wonder if it's too late to get tickets . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 5, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Dear Abby, Dear Abby, the refs just don't work. They can't make good calls, and I think they're all jerks. Every time I watch soccer, my head starts to hurt, from slapping my forehead and yelling bad words.

Signed, United

Posted by: ldmay | June 5, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Goff ... is your other job as a music critic? Way to inspire this thread. JkR ... you nailed that one. Best Thread. Goff, maybe I'll see you tonight. I'll have my Freedom hoody under my slicker. But I'm inside. Too old for the lawn now.

Posted by: YesMomStillPlaying | June 5, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I officially have no idea of who any those people/artists are...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2009 5:50 PM

Are you shunning your Google machine?

Posted by: JkR- | June 5, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

How many pks did I miss last night?
It's really anybody's guess,
Was callin em so lame I screwed the whole game
And this morning people curse my name.
Oh, tell me how many pks did I blow last night?

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 5, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I officially have no idea of who any those people/artists are...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish

Same here. These people must be old.

Posted by: Reignking | June 5, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Jacob and rk: I am embarrassed for your parents. After they pick you up from the Sadie Hawkins dance, you should ask them.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 5, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

You know what's really crazy about that USSF report? As Goff wrote: "It also noted that, other than Twellman, no New England players showed signs of discontent -- "a sign that can help confirm any instinctual feelings the referee may have.""

Wow...

So, the USSF just basically told everyone that if _more_ players whine about every single possible foul, the refs might be _more_ inclined to give it?

That's just great.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 5, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan: When I read the words Prine, Earle, and Wolf Trap I pull up stakes and throw on a Melvins record or something... I can't hang.

I'm right there with you, although maybe not Melvins, maybe Suicidal or something like that. (No LBD All-Stars though, I'll go with The Aggrovators).

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 5, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

It is great that USSF comes out and criticizes the match referees but what have they done to pay the price? Have they suspended them? Until then I am not sold.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 5, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

old and in the way
thats what I heard them say
they'll never care about you
call you old and in the way

Posted by: OWNTF | June 5, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Are you shunning your Google machine?

Posted by: JkR- | June 5, 2009 6:50 PM

Coincidently, new computer purchase next week, so, kinda. I may throw those names on the youtube or rhapsody search sometime late tonight.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

@edgeonyou: That LBDA link was more of a reference to my upbringing in SoCal/and Hawaii. In the islands everyone embraced their ethnic culture and took the slang with a grain of salt. Stupid Haole was something I heard a lot when I was JOJ... Jus' off Da' Jet.
By the time we all were pau with school we were all Ohana...

ST huh?!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know who Geoff Cameron was before tonight. Now, I know he's a starting centerback for the gold cup.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 5, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Thx, BlackandRed! Well done!

And Chicago LOST 1-0 vs Houston tonight!

Posted by: Juan-John | June 5, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joshuaostevens

Who the heck is she?

Posted by: Reignking | June 6, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Is this the old folks music blog or a soccer blog?

Steve Carlisle . . . "It was announced Thursday that forward Brian Ching will be unable to go Saturday"

"it's clear that Donovan should return to the outside midfield position"

Absolutely agree! Donovan busts his butt if need be. He plays good d. He is able to attack when opponents are suspect. And while not a true outside mid, he's never really been a central player either, it's been forced on him by lack of surrounding talent.

Posted by: delantero | June 6, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Sadie Hawkins Dance, you say?

Here's what I know of such things:

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 6, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I graduated in 94. This may clear some things up. As old as I may seem to some, I'm still only 15 years out of highschool... (Still Smokin!)...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 6, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

Cameron is a good player -- if memory serves, Goffino picked him for Rookie of the Year. In retrospect, he is the guy DCU should have picked instead of Cordeiro.

Having seen the highlights, Nyarko was everywhere. I think the USSF should get on the stick and talk to him about becoming a USA player. He did not score, but he was oh so dangerous.

Posted by: fischy | June 6, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

eadc

Sorry none of the clever ones answered.
See Week In Review on USSF website.

Posted by: footballfan9 | June 6, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Nyarko (and really, Chicago as a whole) controlled the game last night. Houston was extremely fortunate to win, since they only created 2 real chances (the goal and Holden's flick over Busch that barely missed wide) and were under sustained pressure all night long.

Before the game I said Houston would win, but I had a completely different game in mind. I believed Houston would play the game on their terms and get their goals either off a set piece or via mistakes from an unfamiliar Chicago back four. Instead, Chicago was in charge all night. They failed to score due to sending some great chances wide or straight at Onstad, while also getting robbed by a couple quality saves as well. The one thing Houston did do that impressed was to shut down McBride in the 2nd half.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 6, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

@ edgeonyou - The USSF is not trying to encourage whining, but any referee can tell you that the players' reaction after a call or non-call is a good indication of whether you got it right. They are just saying that nobody was screaming for a penalty other than TT, so that is another indication that it probably wasn't one. Remember, the CR turned and was headed upfield without calling anything... Same deal if you can't tell for sure who should get a throw in - if one team claims the ball and the other doesn't complain, just point that direction.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | June 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

To combine to two points, I really think that Cameron had a lot to do with McBride really being so, well, invisible in the second half. A lot of his standout plays were ones where he would be chasing down the ball or other players after having left McBride.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 6, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

How about making referees that make bad calls pay a fine? If players pay fines for bad behavior, why not referees for bad calls? May be a a $2000 fine, would make a referee think about making a bad call.

Posted by: fedster | June 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

$2,000 is probably more than they get paid to work the game.

Posted by: Senor_Funk | June 6, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

fedster:

Refs don't set out to make bad calls. For example, Marrufo didn't see the ball hit Wallace's thigh and say "Ha! Here's my chance to do something unforgivably stupid!" What happened was the LA players, out of desperation and a lack of class, followed the lead of Klein in appealing for a penalty that wasn't there. Marrufo, apparently either unable to see very easily distinguishable limbs from within 20 yards or unwilling to trust his own eyes, believed the ploy.

In either case, the problem isn't one that will go away via public shaming or egregious fines ($2000? Really?). Marrufo, and the rest of our referees, need better training and more rigorous testing. To go back to Marrufo, he either needs to learn to believe his own eyes and linesmen before just accepting what players claim in desperate situations or needs an eye exam.

A fine or public criticism isn't going to breed better refs. It's going to breed refs afraid of making the big call when it has to be made.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 6, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Chest, how the heck is Jair ever going to add to his jersey collection if he spends time believing his assistants and his own two eyes?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 6, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse