MLS Trades, Moves

San Jose sends veteran defender Nick Garcia, who has played every minute this season, and the discovery rights to Canadian national team forward Ali Gerba to Toronto FC for a 2010 third-round draft choice. TFC also waives goalie Greg Sutton, who lost the starting job to rookie Stefan Frei. Gerba, 27, was born in Cameroon and has played for more than 10 clubs, most recently MK Dons in England.

Meantime, the Earthquakes trade forward Cam Weaver (one goal, two assists in nine league appearances) to Houston for forward Chris Wondolowski (two goals, one assist in seven matches) and a conditional draft pick.

In Chicago, veteran defender Brandon Prideaux announced that he will retire after this season, his 11th in the league. He won MLS Cup titles with Kansas City (2000) and D.C. United (2004).

By Steve Goff  |  June 9, 2009; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Emilio, Soehn Talk About Incident
Next: A Few Minutes With Ben Olsen

Comments

Prideaux always struck me as a class act. I'll applaud him this weekend (only during the intros though).

Posted by: fallschurch1 | June 9, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Is there something missing from the Garcia trade...like San Jose getting something besides a 3rd round pick next year for giving up 2 players, one of which is a starter?

Posted by: DrBeaker | June 9, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

DrBeaker,

Perhaps they're clearing cap space for an imminent signing?

Posted by: Kenobi | June 9, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Garcia trade is a straight salary dump by SJ as he makes big $$ for an average MLS centerback. The third round pick is a far cry from the #1 overall SuperDraft pick that SJ gave to KC to get Garcia.

Posted by: PhillyMLS | June 9, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

It's been a long run for Prideaux. 2 MLS Cups is more than most guys in the league will ever be able to bragg about.

As far as Sutton getting unloaded--wow. I wonder if he wanted to be released or if they just dumped the salary. It was only last year that I was sitting at RFK, a row over from his brother with the TFC family and friends. Nice guy. He played well for the Montreal Impact before getting picked up by TFC and he has some Canadian caps. He just might want to consider heading to Scandanvia.

Speaking of Scandavia--I wonder if Kinnear will be able to mine the gold that Cam Weaver was once considered when the then Seattle Sounders managed to get $175k US when they sold him to a Norwegian club. He is still very young.

Unless gerba is going to come back, San Jose gave Garcia away. It's almost hard to recall back to '03 or '02 when that guy's career seemed it was at its equinox. Dude got capped a few times.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 9, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Beaker:

Maybe it's just a cap dump for SJ.

***

I hope Prideaux manages a goal before he retires. However, I hope he manages it after this week (or, maybe in stoppage time if we're up 3-0). For us, he was super reliable and a strong fit in our back three.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 9, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

And perhaps I was piling on.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 9, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Garcia's on $190k-ish, this looks like a salary dump ahead of some kind of signing...

Posted by: HowdyDCU | June 9, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Agree with others on Prideaux. A solid defender with two rings to show for it. I was sorry to see him go.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 9, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I was googling for Frei injury news last week, and I saw Sutton saying that he didn't mind being a backup. Whoops.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Goff say recently that San Jose was shopping Convey as well? Can't say I'm surprised at the roster overhaul given their season, but I wonder how much new signings will really help at this point. Although, after watching highlights from the past few weeks and seeing Garcia standing and watching with a confused look on his face while opponents score on the Quakes, they probably can't do much worse with any potential replacement.

Posted by: Kenobi | June 9, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

1. SJ needs to make some moves. Call it a cap dump--that isn't wrong. But Garcia has played poorly on a defense that has sucked. Cam Weaver was counted on to be a big goal scorer and he isn't--he's a role player. He will be perfect for Houston--a "Jaqua-lite." He'll back up Ching (which they need what with his health and NT callups) and come on in late games when the other team is bunkering. He'll get the service from the wings at Houston he didn't get from SJ.

2. As for SJ, clearly what they've been doing isn't working. I don't care for ROB, he's supposed to be a locker room cancer (second-hand hearsay only on that, no personal experience) but he and Huckerby were the only reasons they scored goals last year. Huckerby has been hurt and cooled off and they cut ROB. Their defense has been bad. They need to add players and also admit that a bunch of guys they counted on to be major players just aren't getting it done. In an ideal world with no cap, they'd keep both Weaver and Garcia. But to add another center back and striker, they need to dump both of these guys. Remember, Goff mentioned earlier they've been trying to move Convey as well.

As for Sutton, he was okay in the A-league. But the concussion problems reduced his worth (his next injury could be a career ender!) and I felt he was always in the bottom half of MLS keepers. With Frei panning out, they can find a younger and cheaper player. Sutton's value is: he's Canadian and a veteran but that's it.

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 9, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

San Jose is preparing to sign Sol Campbell to take Garcia's spot.

Posted by: dhl19 | June 9, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I almost reported dhl19 for abuse....

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Cam Weaver "very young"? He turns 26 tomorrow, which means he is already in his prime. At that point -- especially as a striker -- it is highly unlikely that he is going to develop much more or suddenly start tearing it up.

Posted by: grabowcp | June 9, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm just glad Toronto made a trade. I was beginning to wonder if Mo was still around.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

How can a player whose previously played in MLS and USL (Gerba) be discovered?

Posted by: kkfla7371 | June 9, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Weaver"?!

"I've just closed my eyes again
Climbed aboard the dream weaver train
Driver take away my worries of today
And leave tomorrow behind..."

Go ahead, try and make it through the rest of the day without that song ringing in your head.

You can thank me later...

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 9, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Echo the props for Prideaux above. He always seemed classy, if a little slow. Solid guy. I recall him wearing the captain's armband for one DCU match a few years back. A good career--maybe more than his technical skills deserved, which is always cool.

Posted by: vivzig | June 9, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I can still see Prideaux (after racing / wrestling with Didier Drogba in the opening minutes of the Chelsea friendly) turn to the bench with a horrified look on his face and scream on TV:

"This guys f****n fast!"

Good times. Good guy.

Posted by: JkR- | June 9, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

kkfla7371: I just checked his bio on wiki...man, he is well-traveled. But he was on the Miami Fusion one season. I'm convinced that they make the discovery system up.

joedoc1: Weaver? I barely knew her.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

OK...so let's sign Sutton and cut Crayton.

GK problem maybe solved??

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | June 9, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I almost reported dhl19 for abuse....

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

You must be a Spurs fan.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 9, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Azerbaijan 0 - 6 Spain

David Villa hat trick in the first half.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I'll never forget that "breakaway" Prideaux had several years ago, just 35 yards between him and the 'keeper. A Beckenbauer he ain't.

Posted by: griffin1108 | June 9, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

You must be a Spurs fan.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 9, 2009 4:49 PM |
-------------------------------------------------

That's not the point. While Sol might be an intriguing signing in the Bay Area (given his sexual orientation), he's being courted by Basel. He's not going to sign an MLS deal, when he still has a shot at Champions League football.

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand that last comment and don't think it's relevant to anything.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

@I-270: Ummm...sure you do. It's like United trying to sign Salvadoreans or Bolivians, in order to to attract new fans among those who would identify with and come out to root for the player. If you don't think the gay community in SF would celebrate the Earthquakes' signing of an openly gay soccer superstar, you're deluded.

Unless you meant the other part of the comment, which seems fairly incontrovertible to me. Basel is trying to sign Campbell away from Portsmouth -- they've offered him a 3-yr. deal. Being courted by an EPL side and a Swiss team in the Champions League, why would Campbell choose San Jose?

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I googled before I posted my earlier comment and found no source for Campbell being openly gay. I would expect that (1) it would be on his Wikipedia page and (2) it would be all over the mainstream media as he would be the only male player in a major team sport to come out while still playing. But maybe I'm deluded

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I may have assumed too much. I read about a father-son duo who were convicted last month for hurling homophobic insults at Campbell. I did read one piece that noted he was gay, but the piece might have been in error. As I look into it myself, it seems his sexuality is a constant source of speculation. Linked with famous women, and then subjected to speculation that he is really gay. I don't see any reputable source that actually says he's out of the closet. So, I retract the prior comment.

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse