Open Cup Upset

careystadium.jpg

Look at that photo! How can you not embrace the U.S. Open Cup and all of its quirky charms?

That's Carey Stadium, home of the Ocean City (N.J.) Barons, a PDL (fourth-division/amateur) club that advanced to the second round of the U.S. Open Cup by upsetting USL2 (third-division) Crystal Palace Baltimore, 3-0, tonight. Byron Carmichael, a teacher by day, scored twice in the first half for the host Barons, who also stunned CPB two years ago, 1-0, on Carmichael's goal at the seaside family resort town in South Jersey.

Ocean City will next face Real Maryland (USL2) or the Aegean Hawks (amateur). Real is winning, 1-0, in the 80th minute but the game has been stopped because of lightning. If Real holds on, Ocean City would host the Maryland club next Tuesday -- Ferris wheel and all. The winner of that contest is expected to play D.C. United on June 30 in the round of 16. [UPDATE: Real defeats the Hawks, 1-0; the game never resumed.]

Former United prospect Ryan Cordeiro scored in the first half tonight for Real.

For additional Open Cup details, click here.

By Steve Goff  |  June 10, 2009; 9:01 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. Open Cup , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: Channel 4 Profiles Quaranta
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

SG, are you in the live blog/chat/whatever as one of the people fighting over who gets to use the name "Guest"?

I think Real Maryland and their cache of ex-DCU players would make an intriguing 3rd round opponent (not to mention that both teams would bid to host at the same facility). I believe our one match against Ocean City was an 8-0 win.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 10, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Aren't both CP Baltimore and Real Maryland USL-2 and not USL-1?

Posted by: jbdavis1 | June 10, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

CPUSA is USL-2, not 1, and this is hardly an apart as PDL teams aren't really "4th division" but amateur. Difference.

Posted by: uac1530 | June 10, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I am not in the Open Cup chat room

We should find out tomorrow the potential locations of DCU's third-round match (depending on the winner of the second-round game)

If it's Real Maryland, the game would almost definitely be at SoccerPlex (RM plays at a high school turf in Rockville). If it's Ocean City, I suppose the Barons would have a chance of hosting, no?

Posted by: Steve Goff | June 10, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Yup, my bad. Got my USLs confused. Fixed.

Posted by: Steve Goff | June 10, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

As a former participant in the Open Cup early rounds, I can say we were one PK away from beating the team that eventually lost to United. And yes, that's my football claim to fame . . So yeah, I think the Open Cup is pretty cool, Ferris Wheel and all!

Plus, look at that huge media center at the Baron's home turf . . . . luxury.

Posted by: delantero | June 10, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

We see a Ferris Wheel. Dan Snyder sees $5000 elevated, rotating, luxury boxes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

"I am not in the Open Cup chat room"

You'd better be at the game, or else that photo is a copyright violation :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I hear about OC, NJ I think about how strange it was to go there many years ago to find that it's in a blue county (no alcohol). I was underage at the time and we easily managed our way around this, but at the time I couldn't believe that NJ had a blue county. South Carolina sure, but NJ?!

Posted by: KireDCU | June 10, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Blue counties and full-serve gas stations. It's like Mayberry - with dead bodies in trunks.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

We see a Ferris Wheel. Dan Snyder sees $5000 elevated, rotating, luxury boxes.

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Unfortunately, not far from the truth. Probably wouldn't let people walk from the parking lot to the stadium either so he could charge bus fare to ferry them there (no pun intended). I don't hate the guy but he does have certain similarities with vampires.

Posted by: KireDCU | June 10, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

My vote is the rookies (as directed by the veterans).

Posted by: Pedalada | June 10, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

If Columbus travels to Ocean City, Hejduk's crosses end up on the Ferris Wheel.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Ben Olsen sprints to the Ferris wheel. As a goal celebration.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Chad Barret once played there. He had a sitter at the top of the six, and ended up paying to fix two carts on the ferris wheel.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

As someone who family owns a place in OC NJ (40 and Asbury). I would like to clarify some things. One that ferris wheel is sweet. But I doubt the DC players would want to ride it. The small theme park is not cheap, tickets are a rip off. Two its not a dry county, just the island is dry. (You can drink on the island, you just cant purchase it. Solved by the massive liquor store across the 34th street bridge.)

The Barons were also not half bad when I played them last season with the Ottawa team. Also, I really often do not see the difference in play in say collegiate players and USL-2 (or USL-1 at times.) So its not that huge of a shock to me.

That roller coaster is a waste of time though.

Anyway, its a classy family resort. And I love an amateur side making a run in the cup.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 10, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Heck, if you want some Cinderella action, even better than Ocean City's situation (a PDL team advancing to face a USL2 team, one level higher) is the Sonoma County Sol.

The Sonoma County Sol aren't even PDL -- they're US Adult Soccer Association, the level at which teams from e.g. the WISL would come in. They've just knocked off a PDL team in the first round, 5-2. . .and their reward is a second round matchup with the Portland Timbers, a USL-1 team, three tiers higher.

Winning *that* would be a hell of an accomplishment.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | June 11, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

I would love some Cinderella action, preferably from Night Songs.

Posted by: Reignking | June 11, 2009 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Video highlights: http://www.sjbarons.com/OceanCityBarons/index_E.html

Arlington county rec leagues have better fields.

Posted by: Alsatian1 | June 11, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

OT: ManU accepted $131 million record deal and allowed Real to speak to Ronaldo for personal terms. Wow.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 11, 2009 7:22 AM | Report abuse

As a Crystal Palace season ticket holder since the inagaugural season and a hardcore fan, I would like to salute the OC Barons club and their fans for beating us AGAIN.

I would also like to communicate my UTTER DISMAY that this has happened AGAIN but by a more HUMILIATING margin.

Our club's form has been up and down, up and down. I was fully aware that we might get beat by Ocean City, AGAIN however, I didn't anticipate this result.

"ANNOYED" doesn't even begin to cover it. "ANGRY" doesn't become to cover it. "FRUSTRATED" does not either.

Come on Palace Baltimore: WAKE UP!!!

Posted by: yankiboy | June 11, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Better headline:

Open Cupset

Posted by: Reignking | June 11, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the Real Maryland club and it's supporters. That club has made some huge leaps forward. They have played very well this season. They are the best club in Maryland right now.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 11, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

CP Baltimore has a hardcore fan?

Posted by: Reignking | June 11, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Big Props also must go to Aegean Hawks. They always play hard. They are a very good team. They always give the USL2 sides a good game and really make them work.

Who knows what may have happened if they had the last 10 minutes. To have played a man down for 64 minutes and still hung with a very good club of pros.

Understanding the match ended in controversy (over not be resumed), Aegean should still be very proud of its fine showing considering the hand that they were dealt.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 11, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

CP Baltimore has a hardcore fan?

Posted by: Reignking
-------------------------------------------
They have several. Of a much better class than I would ever personally put myself in.

There are individual fans and a combined supporters group (Palace Squires and the 35ers).

We love our club. I love the club. With a second or third division club, you get a lot of access and familiarity much more quickly than you ever could with a MLS club like DC United, especially now that the Reserve division was killed off. You get to know the owners, the staff, the players and the extended team family.

When I go to see United, it is a different kind of fun. A different sort of event.

After having beaten Red Bulls reserves last year and losing to The Rev's reserves in the quater finals of last year's USOC on PK's--this is too much for me to freaking take. It is really, really bothering me. I wasn't expecting the same as last year--but I wasn't ready to settle for this. I could see this coming but I didn't want to accept it.

FYI: Real Maryland has some great supporters. They travel well to our place. They really get behind their club.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 11, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

this one goes out to RK, AND all the CP Balto fans.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 11, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

CR is only 24? Wow.

Even CNN picked up the story...

Posted by: Reignking | June 11, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

CR and his greaseball buddies are all over TMZ... For those that love to hate, you'll love the paparazzi's shameless jonein' on their "euro doosh baggery"...

On a more serious note, DC United website has made their stadium survey public as of this morning and offers a pathway to buy tickets to the Real Madrid friendly by completing the thing. Check it out:

Posted by: DadRyan | June 11, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

If new jersey makes it through there is NO way that USSF will let an MLS team and the cup holder play on that pitch.

Posted by: jjfooty | June 11, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it looked pretty bad. OC will need to sweeten the pot with free Ferris Wheel rides and some live Cinderella at halftime. I think we could all live with such a compromise.

Posted by: Pedalada | June 11, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Chris Rock is only 24? No way!

Also... POLL: If DCU travels to Ocean City, what player ends up on the Ferris Wheel at some point and why?

I can totally see Luciano going for a ride and singing "It's Beautiful..." with a goofy smile on his face.

Posted by: WorldCup | June 11, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler

----------------------------------
While the SC Sol did qualify through the USASA Region IV tourney, they play in the NPSL, which many say is about equal to the PDL.

Posted by: EricB1 | June 11, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

That theme park/carnival looks freakin awesome. They have a flume ride! I can understand why there are only about 5 people there... I'd get bored and go over to the theme park too!

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 11, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Actually Sol are NPSL, same level as the PDL. The league qualifies through USASA,

Posted by: NPSLinsider | June 11, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse