Poll: Confederations Cup

Now that we've reached the semifinals.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 21, 2009; 11:31 PM ET
Categories:  Confederations Cup , Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: USA Rewind
Next: Monday Kickaround

Comments

I think Brazil will beat Spain in the final easily.

Posted by: GoUnited | June 21, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

US over South Africa in penalties.

Posted by: PEddy | June 21, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

brasil

Posted by: castroviejo | June 21, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see anyone beating Spain in a fair fight at the moment.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 22, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Man, I wish the US had a 19% chance (current polling as I post). Spain's the favorite but obviously Brasil is, well Brasil.

Posted by: KireDCU | June 22, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Brazil could put out their special Olympics team and still beat Spain.

The US vs. South Africa should be a good match to watch and a good chance for Bradley to show we deserve a bit of respect.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 22, 2009 4:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad that I decided to not go to South Africa next year. Those horns would drive me crazy!

Posted by: J_S_F | June 22, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

"We"? Who are you, Rob Dibble? :)

Posted by: rick1977 | June 22, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

OK, it's been a while since we've done this, but what is your ideal starting line-up, regardless of injuries or subsequent competitions; i.e., who would be on your World Cup squad?

I'm thinking:

Howard
Spector Gooch Parkhurst Bocanegra
Johnson
Donovan Torres
Bradley
Altidore Adu

Bench: Guzan, Robles, Dolo, DeMerit, Orozco, Spector, Edu, Dempsey, Feilhaber, Klejstein, Davies, Ching

Posted by: troy6 | June 22, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

So, in three games, what have we REALLY learned? That we're not as good as a top 10 FIFA ranked team or two. Though, now I have to wonder about Italy. Can we get a rematch with 11 players for a full 90?

Posted by: freeholdsouth | June 22, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

The US just beat Spain. On my son's FIFA '09 game, yesterday.

If it's on TV, it's true, right?

"Like the fool on television
Who gets paid to play the fool..."

Yesterday Bradley saved his job. The tournament cost Beasley his. Charlie Davies just became a top option. And Gooch confirmed he deserves to remain at center back.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 22, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

USA! USA! USA!
After being too embarrassed to go outside in my US jersey all last week, I'll be rollin' out and about in these bad boys through Wednesday, win lose or draw!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

The players embarrassed the USA jersey during the Brazil match. You should never be embarrassed to wear it. Those pants, on the other hand...

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Spain is the best team in the world right now, by a long shot. Problem is, they are due for a loss and Brazil is really, really good at winning tournament finals. Toss up.

Posted by: Danno1313 | June 22, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

A couple of weeks ago I would have said Spain. But Brazil has baffled me. A month or so ago I saw them play Ecuador and they were awful. They looked terrible.

Now in the past two weeks they beat Uruguay 4-0, Italy 3-0, and USA 3-0. They also beat Paraguay and Egypt by smaller margins. At this point, they will punish other teams for small mistakes, and they are in great physical shape. I'm giving the edge to Brazil.

Posted by: JPHT | June 22, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Brazil wouldn't have beat Egypt if it weren't for Howard Webb. Heck, the US doesn't advanced if not for Webb's penalty call. (Thanks Howie!) Spain has no reason to be scared of the Brazilians. They'll get up for top competition, I'd be concerned if they will for a mediocre US squad. With the way the groups were set up and yesterday's result, the Spanards are sitting pretty. Can Spain remain unbeaten on the plain?

Posted by: prokaryote | June 22, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I know I was one of those who wrote Spain off in the last Euro installment, but the way Brazil is man-handling teams right now -- they're hot and up for it. Plus they would just LOVE to put a dent in that unbeaten streak that Spain has going.

Plus we have to factor in the lead-in games. Brazil handily beats South Africa. If the US brings it, they may not win - in fact it could be a bit of a long shot - but they will make Spain work for it.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 22, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

@ prokaryote

I must have missed the highlight, but I don't recall Webb making the Egyptian player handle the ball on the line. Plus, someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but was it Webb who called the PK or a linesman? Either way, he called it and it was a justifiable call.

Posted by: Kosh2 | June 22, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Luckily for Spain (i think correct me if I'm wrong) they'll break Brazil's record streak in the semis even if they lose to Brazil in the finals. I'm a huge Spain fan and they one of the top 3 teams in the world right now easy, but the way Brazil is playing and the fact that Spain hasn't really had much of a challenge getting this far (and probably won't in the semis either, or at least not to the extent that they'll be supermotivated during the game) leads me to believe Spain may come out a little flat and that may be all that Brazil needs to get an early lead. That said I can't think of two teams to play a more attractive game at this moment than those two teams.

Of course I'd still be in heaven if the US pulls the upset! Gooch needs to get physical with Torres (well the US needs to get physical with the whole spanish team) and if the US can take advantage of Ramos and Capdevilla's tendecy to press foward we may be able to get something on the counter. There's always hope!

Posted by: Brian76 | June 22, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

If Spain wins this, it will only continue to re-assure me that Spain will NOT win the World Cup...I think Spain is not that great, and traditionally always somehow plays down to their opponents...They are ripe to be beaten! Now Brazil on the other hand, looks great!

Posted by: alan19 | June 22, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"Can Spain remain unbeaten on the plain?"
Posted by: prokaryote | June 22, 2009 11:46 AM
=====================
Only if the rain falls mainly there.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 22, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I guess embarrassed isn't the word, disappointed is more like it.
Not any different than why I threw the DCU jersey into the corner with the rest of the filth after their performance on Saturday night.
Don't be dissin' these bad boys I-270: