Quaranta to Gold Cup

The Insider has learned that D.C. United midfielder-forward Santino Quaranta, who resurrected his career after battling drug addiction, will be named to the USA Gold Cup roster this week. Quaranta, 24, has not played for the American squad since February 2006.

USSF officials are tentatively planning to name the 23-man roster Thursday. Training camp is scheduled to begin Monday in Seattle. However, the USA's passage to the Confederations Cup semifinals and subsequent games against Spain on Wednesday and in the third-place game or championship match on Sunday in South Africa could alter the schedule. Few of the players at the Confederations Cup are expected to be named to the roster for the Gold Cup, which, for the Americans, will include group matches against Grenada in Seattle on July 4, Honduras at RFK Stadium July 8 and Haiti in Foxborough on July 11.

Quaranta has 11 caps (three starts, eight reserve appearances), all in 2005-06. This season, playing primarily at forward and right-side midfield, he is tied for second on the MLS assists list with six.

Sources say no other DCU players have been selected by the USA. However, D.C. defender Dejan Jakovic will join Canada's squad. Depending on their national team's success, they will miss as many as three league matches and two U.S. Open Cup games.

Other Gold Cup selections are expected to include Troy Perkins, Robbie Rogers, Stuart Holden and Steve Cherundolo.

FYI, for first-alert breaking news, such as the Quaranta development, join the Insider on Twitter.

By Steve Goff  |  June 22, 2009; 6:41 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Gold Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jakovic, USA, Wambach
Next: Tuesday Kickaround

Comments

CONGRATS - hope this is the next step in his journey back to the World Cup roster.

Posted by: Henchlow | June 22, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! Great work Tino!!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 22, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

That's very cool. Probably just sold quite a few more tickets to June 8 RFK too.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 22, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Great news for Tino. After reading the preliminary squad, I was pretty disappointed, but I guess that list wasn't complete.

Quaranta absolutely deserves this. Within MLS, he's been one of the best American players this year in terms of creating chances (something borne out by his assist total).

It sucks for DCU, though, with Fred and Moreno already out. Gomez will have to step up for us to create chances. I'd also expect to see Barklage in some league games as a sub.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 22, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

YES!!! Having Tino and Jakovic missing for a few games will be a big deal... Hopefully we can bring in a signing come July to help fill the holes.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | June 22, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I might mind missing Tino if we start losing like mad, but I am still very pleased. I think Namoff would also have earned a shot, but I don't think anyone with the Nats are interested. Shame.

Posted by: bdwooton | June 22, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Great for Tino - he really deserves it and I hope many more call-ups to come.

Posted by: Beckster1 | June 22, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Well it's about time

Posted by: GoUnited | June 22, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Well deserved. Congrats to Tino.

Posted by: RexNorth | June 22, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

congrats Tino and Jakovich! we'll definitely be missing them though

Posted by: Pete803 | June 22, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Good fer Tino!

Be interesting to see who steps up when they're gone...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 22, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Tremendous, tremendous, tremendous.

Congratulations to Santinto, and to the entire United organization for watching his six during his recovery.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 22, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

That's awesome! Not just for Tino and DCU (long-term). But also for the Nats. Tino is exactly the kind of biting, driven, skillful player that the US team needs to spark a resurgence. I really hope to see him starting for the WC squad. Woo!

Posted by: -rke- | June 22, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Good for Tino, nice to see the hard work and dedication to being drug free has allowed him to again shine for DC but get another chance with the MNT. The article by Steve, that I read for the first time when he reposted it about a month ago was extremely inspiring. As a MNT I am also excited because we really have no depth at either outside midfield spot. When it was obvious Deuce needed to be replaced in the Confed Cup there really was no sub for him. Feilheiber, Adu and Torres all play center mid. Harkes and JP even talked about moving Bornstein up, lando over and Pearce into LB. Hope Tino can finally reach all that promise.

Posted by: Jmcurto | June 22, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

nice. Pontius should get a look at some point as well.

Posted by: SadieV | June 22, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

GREAT for Tino, very happy for him and I hope he tears it up there.

Terrible for DCU, of course, but GREAT for Tino!

Posted by: VercengetorixII | June 22, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Happy belated father's day Tino! On and off the field you are a true inspiration! Congratulations!

There should be enough depth in DCU to live without Tino for a minute. I believe that Quaranta's best football is yet to come and I wish him nothing but success. GO USA! Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 22, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

He's still 24 and more mature than most his age. He'll do well and I hope he brings the heart fire to the Gold Cup squad. Even if he doesn't start, the team needs someone(s) who will push them hard.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

DdRyan's comment reminded me: did anyone get a soccer necktie yesterday?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 22, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

excellent news for Tino, congrats. stinks to lose him for some games, but hopefully Jaime and Fred will be back with us soon.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 22, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Good job! Well deserved. Keep it up... Stay drug free and stay focused and the sky is the limit!

Posted by: alan19 | June 22, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll echo the congratulations to Tino! Great job playing for DCU the past two years.

Wish Namoff could join him in the Gold Cup but I'm glad to see DCU being represented there.

Posted by: diego_r | June 22, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

As a US MNT fan, good for him, however surprising. Don't know if his play warrants a call up.

As a DC Fan, Great Job, Tino! Hope you get the start at RFK v Honduras!

We must be pulling in an entirely new team and resting the Confed Cup players--starters anyhow---so they can rest before they head back to Europe.

Posted by: delantero | June 22, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

For once, this is completely deserved on Santino's part.

Easily our best player against Colorado. Not only does he have great skill and strength, but he has added toughness and sharpness to his arsenal. We will miss both him and Jakovic tremendously, hope we win at least one in their absence.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 23, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

First off, congratulations Tino. Second off, how the hell are you still only 24?

Posted by: Logan_Circle | June 23, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Bravo, Tino!!!

I cannot take credit for this choice, but will note that I did foreshadow it a few days ago. I said posted here that Quaranta could do a better job than I had seen Kljestan do in the USA kit this year.

Posted by: fischy | June 23, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Tino and Ole Yanki Yank been tellin yall. Ya can't keep us East Baltimore Boys down!

I hope my man shines for DC and Charm City.

Best of luck to Santino.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 23, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Congrats, Santino!! I know you'll take advantage of this opportunity and kick some butt! We love having you back at DCU and look forward to great things from you for many years.

You are a Class act, Brother.

Vamos United!! Vamos Tino!!

Posted by: Smitty8 | June 23, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I had wondered about his possibility on being called for the Gold Cup...well deserved. It will be good to see how does against international competition. His ability to deliver balls into the box may give him an outside chance to move into a regular rotation with the MNT.

Posted by: jnel | June 23, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I hope all you USA over DC guys are real happy. Maybe that would balance out my negative waves that cheatin bob should keep his pedantic hands off of DC players during MLS season.

I say big deal to Gold Cup!

I would get more enjoyment celebrating a United win in any tournament than a national team win (outside of 2010 World Cup when MLS hopefully will shut down).

I'm sure many of your milages vary from mine.

Posted by: GrillMaster | June 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

pedantic?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 23, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

YEAH TINO!!!!!!!!! I'm seriously considering buying a new United jersey with his number to replace my old Moreno. He is quickly becoming my favorite player. Yes, even above Benny and El Capitano. His efforts are second to none, and he is VERY deserving of this callup. I hope he scores a few goals in Foxboro, which is the only game I can attend due to its proximity to my home.

This sucks for DCU, though...

Posted by: kdiff813 | June 23, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

A 30-man roster for the U.S. national team's Gold Cup squad was posted on the CONCACAF web site...Tino not listed.

Preliminary roster:

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan, Marcus Hahnemann, Troy Perkins, Luis Robles

DEFENDERS: Jonathan Bornstein, Dan Califf, Steve Cherundolo, Jay DeMerit, Clarence Goodson, Chad Marshall, Michael Orozco, Heath Pearce, Michael Parkhurst, Marvell Wynne

MIDFIELDERS: Davy Arnaud, Ricardo Clark, Benny Feilhaber, Eddie Gaven, Stuart Holden, Eric Lichaj, Pablo Mastroeni, Robbie Rogers, John Thorrington, Jose Francisco Torres

FORWARDS: Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore, Conor Casey, Kenny Cooper, Charlie Davies, Jeremiah White

Posted by: soccerman | June 24, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse