Ronaldo in America?

I'm hearing that superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is in the States to be examined by a Real Madrid doctor in Los Angeles today, the next step in his apparent move to the Spanish giants from Manchester United. One issue is a possible sports hernia injury, though it's not expected to prevent him from playing for Real in preseason friendlies against Toronto Aug. 7 and D.C. United two days later at FedEx Field. Why is he in L.A.? Like David Beckham, Ronaldo works with Creative Artists Agency, the sports and entertainment mega-management firm based in SoCal. He is also planning to take vacation in Miami. The transfer will cost Real an estimated $135 million over five years. (They acquired Kaka from AC Milan this week for $90 million-plus.) Ronaldo will earn $1 million per month (net earnings since Real takes care of the taxes).

What are your thoughts about Ronaldo with Real?

By Steve Goff  |  June 10, 2009; 12:56 PM ET
Categories:  England , Spain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Twellman, Setanta, MLS, T&T
Next: World Cup Qualifying

Comments

Same agent as Beckham, and following the well-worn path from Man U through Madrid, which can only lead to the Galaxy. So I'm stoked.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 10, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

He's obviously in LA to get his tan in proper working order.

That's a lot of money I don't what ManU to have.

Posted by: Louise9 | June 10, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Goff not saying that I doubt this information, but from what I can tell you would be the first to report any news of a C. Ronaldo medical. Skysports has only an article from one of the Madrid suites claiming the two clubs are in negotiations. Various other European sports websites make no mention of this medical. If this turns out to be true I think you should demand a raise of some sorts.

On a side note this would be terrible news for me.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 10, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

As long as he plays the way he did in the champions league final, I'm fine with it. If he does his regular routine, I will add his goals to the scoreboard with some shame in my heart.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Goff scooping the world on the biggest soccer news story all summer. Incredible!

Posted by: strago | June 10, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

And yes, ma-ha-jor props to Sir Goff.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I really think Real Madrid are ruining soccer . . . or futbol to them. I probably speak for alot of people when I say we don't want real soccer to be like FIFA (the game)

Posted by: Konoha7 | June 10, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

CR to LAG.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

how long before they have to file for bankruptcy?

Posted by: fedssocr | June 10, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Ok seriously --

What are the chances that CR actually joins REAL?

20% or 50% or 75%

Is this actually realistic??

Posted by: DCSPORTS | June 10, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I'll say 100% -- because I never believe any of this. And I'm usually wrong.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

CR in that tan legs pic reminds me of that dude in Something About Mary.

Posted by: EssEff | June 10, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Barney Frank is on CNBC now explaining how the new compensation czar is looking into how much professional soccer players are making, and how much they OUGHT to be making, given the growing gap between the rich and poor in the world.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 10, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

As with Kaka, I am tired of the soap operas. Man U is my team but if it is true just finalize it so everyone can move on.

Posted by: ddenbow14 | June 10, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

If Ronaldo sells enough shirts, Madrid will recoup their investment even if the team underperforms. Then they use the cash to go after a new shirt-selling Galactico a few years down the road, when Ronaldo loses his appeal on and off the pitch. And so on, and so on...

Posted by: SSMD1 | June 10, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

What do I think of Ronaldo and Madrid? Well, I thought he did extremely well there (strike rate of, like, 3 goals every 4 games), but it's also where the fat rumors really started in earnest.

Sorry, it's a huge pet peeve for me. Ronaldo was the best player in the world within the last 10 years, and is considered one of the best players ever, and now people don't even think of him as the main Ronaldo. I get it, C. Ronaldo plays for Man. United, but there was a time within recent memory where having Brazil on your resume was a much bigger deal than playing at any Premiership club.

As for this development, I think Perez is once again going for galacticos, and unless he gets the perfect manager for the group it'll be just like Perez's Real Madrid after he fired Del Bosque for the crime of not being particularly famous or notable.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 10, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

CR to LAG.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 1:18 PM
====================================

Chest, are you going to the Galaxy?

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 10, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

With the signing of Kaka and the possible signings of Villa and Ronaldo, Real Madrid is again returning to the era of the Galacticos. An era that didn't really work the first time.

Zidane's signing was important(as was Figo's) and Madrid won a trophy with them, but once Ronaldo and then Owen (who would have been a Galactico then, but certainly wouldn't be considered one now) the results on the field suffered (also, credit the loss of Makalele).

So here's the problem. With Kaka, Raul, Villa, Robben, and Ronaldo all on the field at the same time, who carries the water? Who does the dirty work? I think Real Madrid is going to run into the same problem. They don't have the same talent in the midfield that Barcelona did, which allowed them to have Henry, Messi, and Etoo on the field at the same time.

As a fan of the Spanish league, I hope these moves produce great futbol and fireworks for Real Madrid, but I fear a backfire similar to the last Galactico era with Florentino Perez.

Posted by: MalagaCFfan | June 10, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I suppose we all saw this coming. I just hope Man U actu quickly and smartly to find another player of his caliber. With Tevez leaving, Sir Alex will need to find a few more goal scorers. And I agree with ddenbow14. If it's going to happen, let it happen and let us all move on.

Posted by: misspamelatorro | June 10, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Chest, I think that what you're saying at the end is along the same lines as why I find the hiring of Pellegrini a bit curious. In all my years following soccer (yes, both of them) closely, I've never heard anything about him that didn't include "and he loves to grow his young players", and yet, here Perez is again, throwing money around like he's Pacman Jones.

And Malaga fan, neither of them are Makalele, but the old Diarra will be back and the new Diarra made the La Liga Best XI in half a season. As someone who watched every game he played in for Madrid, I was amazed at what I saw. He RARELY misses a tackle and has strong distribution skills, and played all over the place, both in terms of movement and spending time at 3 or 4 different positions. I just wonder where Higuain fits in with all this...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

135 over five? Including transfer fees, I assume. And a million a month? For one of the top three players in the world, in his prime, at the most valuable franchise in sports? Why not? If Real are the Yankees of UEFA, how many Yankees make more than 10-12 million a year? Heck, the bloomin' Nationals, perhaps the worst or at least cheapest, major pofessional team in the US (and I use 'major' liberally here) are likely to drop half that salary on a kid who has never faced a professional. Soccer players are significanty underpaid for the revenue they are capable of producing in a place like England or Spain. Paging Scott Boras...

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 10, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

How about the rumblings of Ibrahimovic and/or Mascherano to Barca? Hmmm

Posted by: carmines757 | June 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Josh, that 135 over 5 IS the transfer fee.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

When you wrote "Ronaldo in US?", I was sure it was another rumor about the rotund one and the MLS.

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

baseball makes more money because it has 100+ more regular season games which means more attendence and tv money. Not rocket science. Soccer players aren't under paid (outside of the US) it's how the game is structured.

Posted by: bighungry | June 10, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Ibrahimovic to Barça would be a disaster. They need more team players, not big egos. Plus, Ibrahimovic doesn't fit their style of play. They need a quick, energetic center forward, not a target man. David Villa would be a better bet, if Madrid or Chelsea don't snap him up first.

Mascherano would work well alongside Xavi in central midfield, but Liverpool probably won't sell him (they shouldn't if Rafa has any sense).

Posted by: SSMD1 | June 10, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

This is the latest from BBC:

1648 BST: Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has said he intends to talk to Manchester United in an attempt to convince the club to let Cristiano Ronaldo join them. "I have not yet spoken to them but I will do it in the coming days," he told Spanish public radio RNE late on Tuesday. (PA news wire)

However, Real Madrid general director Jorge Valdano has claimed the club are already in negotiations with United. (AFP news wire)

1430 BST: Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has poured doubt on the Spanish clubs chances of signing French international midfielder Frank Ribery - also a reported target of Chelsea and Manchester United - from Bayern Munich, saying "Bayern do not want to sell, therefore I have to be respectful to the club."
(Full story: Daily Telegraph)

So it appears if Goff is right he is more than a day ahead of everyone in England.

Posted by: bighungry | June 10, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

SSMD1, agreed on all counts. If Messi, Eto'o, and Henry are staying put, I don't see the need for even more big name firepower.

Posted by: carmines757 | June 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Real can spend all the money they want on offense. It still won't solve their defensive woes. They lost 2-6 at HOME against barcelona. They need to shore up their D. But as a Barca fan, I'll be all too happy when they find that out the hard way. But great players will elevate the stature La Liga, although as Barca showed, developing players thru your own academy worked quite well.

Posted by: doh1 | June 10, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

sure, RM needs to work on their defense. But defenders don't sell jerseys or seats at FedEx Field.

Posted by: tab5g1 | June 10, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

It appears my questioning of Goff has been premature. The Telegraph is reporting that Ronaldo is in LA and that Real Madrid has sent a medical team to asses the situation. The article claims a formal offer will be tabled within days.

The link to the site is here:

the quote is far in the article but i copied and pasted it:

Having withdrawn from Portugal's squad for last night's (Weds) friendly against Estonia in Tallinn with a suspected hernia injury, Ronaldo is now on holiday in Los Angeles, but reports in Spain that Real have sent a medical team to California to assess his fitness have been privately ridiculed by United.

Goff I would start asking for that raise, this would be an incredible scope.

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 10, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Barney Frank on TV? "Hey Joe (Doc), where you going with that gun in your hand" (I do like Hendrix.)

actually, Frank has a ton of Portuguese-American constituents in his district. They are probably having a celebration of CR to Real.

for me, I hope both CR and Real rot. Could we resign Stoichkov for just one game to cripple CR like he did that AU kid?

Posted by: troy6 | June 10, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

by the way, this is a very appropriate day for Goff to break the news on Cristiano Ronaldo. today is, I kid you not, Portugal Day. I'm home enjoying the holiday as Portugal Day commemorates the poet Luis Camoes, the greatest Portuguese ever (at least until Eusebio came along). gotta like a place that uses a poet as its national day symbol.

Posted by: troy6 | June 10, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this spells the beginning of the great demise of ManU following in the footsteps of the other once great "Uniteds" of England; Newcastle & Leeds.

Hey, one can dream can't they?

Posted by: mcontento | June 10, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

oh, and it may be Portugal Day, but it isn't Portugal's day...they are 0-0 with Estonia at the half and don't look like they'll be going to South Africa anytime in, say, the next year or so.

Posted by: troy6 | June 10, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

half time did a special report that Cristiano's hometown is celebrating its 500th anniversary at the moment, while he hangs out in LA. interesting confluence of events. (perhaps I have my own definition of "interesting")

Posted by: troy6 | June 10, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info troy. Guess I'll have a nice glass of Mateus tonight. Which will go well with the Dream Weaver song in my head from joedoc. Damn I wonder where I put that 8-track and my matching Mateus bottle candle holders . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 10, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Here to serve, OWNTF.

Did somebody say "Los Angeles"?!

"Look ahead as we pass, try to focus on it
I won't be fooled by a cheap cinematic trick
It must have been just a cardboard cut out of a man
Top-forty cast off from the record stand

Walkin' in LA
Walkin' in LA
Nobody walks in LA..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 10, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Shoulda, woulda, coulda American Neven Subotic scores for Serbia today.

Posted by: lrg1231 | June 10, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

actually, it was "sit down" by James that stuck in my head for a week, but now I'll have Missing Persons. At least she is a better image to accompany the music...

Posted by: troy6 | June 10, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

joedoc:

Don't worry, if it's a trade I'll pull a Nowak and retire before ever making a comment. If I've been sold outright, I'll bring them down from the inside. Win-win.

Jacob:

Pellegrini has a bit more cache as a coach than Del Bosque did before he was promoted from within, at least from my perspective. Perhaps there is something to this, though. Perez described the galacticos era as one of "Zidanes y Pavones", or superstars and academy graduates. Since Perez is acting exactly the same in all other aspects, I figure he'll also bring this idea back. Getting the most out of the "Pavones" will be as crucial as getting the superstars to play together.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 10, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Goff asks "What are your thoughts about Ronaldo with Real?"

I sez: The reason I can't really get into Euroball is that it seems like for the last decade or so money trumps everything. The rich clubs can buy up the best players and continue being rich and on top. Obviously this isn't failsafe, but it's kind of boring when you know before the season starts that one of 2-4 teams will win the Premiership/Liga/Serie A/Etc. The reason the Champions League is at least somewhat compelling to me is that by the latter stages, the teams are more or less all on the same level (money and talent-wise).

I know parity isn't for everyone, but there's an element to the various salary cap structures that I like. Taking the "sport" a little away from the "business."

Fire away.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 10, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Pellegrini must be shaking his head -- but I think he'll be more perturbed when they jettison Negredo somewhere. He is the type of player RM needs to have in the future...

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Uhmmm thanks for ruining my afternoon Louise9.
Greasy Euro Trash.
oops. tried posting this with a playful Star Wars poster and It got snatched up in the filter...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Goff. I thought that word wasn't off limits... Especially when describing that photo. What is Ronaldo doing in LA when Portugal is playing anyway?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell
===================

Chest, I regret to inform you that you have now crossed the threshold to where things that happened 10 years ago are still considered recent memory. The young folks call this place "old age." On behalf of those already here, welcome.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, Ronaldo now equals CR, and the Brazilian is now "Fat Ronaldo".

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Ronaldo, another washed-up soccer player that Europe recognized is finished, comes to America for one more BIG PAYDAY. It started with Pele.

Posted by: rperrone | June 10, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Yep, too bad about Fat Ronaldo. Really, it's a Crying Game.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 10, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Yep, too bad about Fat Ronaldo. Really, it's a Crying Game.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 10, 2009 4:48 PM |
-------------------------------------------------

I don't know whether to say "Ouch" or merely applaud.

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, one can dream can't they?

Posted by: mcontento

I hope so too, but think of all the money they'll have now.

Posted by: KireDCU | June 10, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF: You've been in fine form today sir. Fine form indeed.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Real Madrid sending doctors to LA to assess Cristiano Ronaldo? As if there aren't qualified doctors in LA up to the task ...

Posted by: Charisma_Man | June 10, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Ecuador-Argentina already playing...

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

@Charisma Man: Perhaps you don't understand the doctor-patient thing. A doctor who is not employed by Real would have legal obligations to maintain C.R.'s privacy. If he agrees to be examined by their doctors, Real would have full access to whatever they find.

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Ecuador-Argentina already playing...

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 5:35 PM |
------------------------------------------------

Was that scheduled, or a surprise?

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Surprise to me. Seems early.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

FootyFox has been saying all week that it was scheduled for 2pm Pacific

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 10, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

hes a fancy boy just showing americans that he makes a lot of money without being in the richest country of the world

Posted by: anthelle9901 | June 10, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Goff - have you sent this to any of the big soccer websites? This is pretty huge news if true..

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | June 10, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Supposedly this news was on some Spanish radio stations earlier in the day, but I'm assuming Goff has better things to do than listen to those on the Internet, and has his own (better) sources besides.

Posted by: Louise9 | June 10, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Charisma_Man
========================

LA doctors don't have the expertise because the procedure is neither a face-lift nor a breast enhancement.

(Again I'm disappointed that no-one picked this low-hanging fruit earlier)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Dang it Chest!!!

Stupid blackberry foils me again!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

My bad, I-170. Dang it I-270!!!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

(Again I'm disappointed that no-one picked this low-hanging fruit earlier)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Ahem. I used to drive past the Kerlan-Jobe center daily. Talk about "arms and the man"...but that may be better discussed on a baseball forum. :)

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 10, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

So, you have Higuain and Villa up top (or Raul, the man never says die) then Ronaldo and Kaka on the flanks, Robben in the mix....

And Gago will do all the defending. With backline that still hasn't been repaired from the disaster it was last season.

Real Madrid are about to waste about a 150 million, maybe more, and still fail.

Dear God, someone stop this crazy train.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 10, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

If Pellegrini plays Gago over BOTH Diarras, he doesn't deserve his job. Lass Diarra was a complete revelation, a star, for Madrid. He's their Alonso, to use the Seattle reference. He's that influential, that good.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 10, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Well - R.Madrid needs good defenders rather. I would have bought VIDIC from Man United.

Posted by: buffettmind | June 11, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse