Sunday Open House

*With the Confederations Cup getting underway today and the World Cup one year away, The Post's Johannesburg bureau updates us on infrastructure preparations amid growing anticipation among South Africans. There is also a video production accompanying the story.

*Italian defensive star Fabio Cannavaro is battling a calf injury ahead of Monday's Confederations Cup opener against the USA.

*Today's Confederation Cup matches:
South Africa-Iraq, 10 a.m. (ESPN2, Galavision)
Spain-New Zealand, 2:30 p.m. (ESPN2, Univision)

*MLS today:
Columbus-Chivas USA, 3 p.m. (Telefutura)

*WPS today:
Boston-St. Louis, 6 p.m. (Fox Soccer Channel)

*The Freedom match report from yesterday's 0-0 tie with Chicago.

*USL2 last night:
After Richmond's Mike Burke and an assistant coach were red-carded for arguing a non-call in the penalty area, Real Maryland (5-4-0) defeated the Kickers, 1-0, before 512 spectators in Rockville. John DiRaimondo and Anthony Peters, on loan to Richmond from D.C. United, played 77 and 45 minutes respectively. Former DCU prospect Ryan Cordeiro assisted on the goal. Meantime, Crystal Palace Baltimore (4-5-3) edged Wilmington, 2-1, in front of 1,673 at UMBC.

By Steve Goff  |  June 14, 2009; 10:25 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Confederations Cup , Freedom , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: United Rewind
Next: MLS Observations

Comments

I live in Omaha, I KNOW we could garner at least 3k for USL games at Morrison Stadium!

Posted by: arswift24 | June 14, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I can't watch the early game -- too many annoying horns.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: arswift24 | June 14, 2009 11:04 AM
*********************************

If you were playing at the same time and within 15 miles or so of your local MLS and WPS teams hosting a double header?

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 14, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Reignking,

God forbid you should learn how to use those volume controls on your remote!

It's good to have some morning International games to supplement breakfast. I've had the game on but haven't paid much attention. This ref is the one who redcarded Eddie Pope and Mastroeni in the World Cup (and de Rossi for smashing McBride's face open). He was quick today w a 1st minute yellow card to South Africa but it seemed justified.

Even with a favorable home draw, South Africa will probably not have opponents easier than Iraq or New Zealand next summer so they better make the 2nd round of this Cornfed Cup.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 14, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

This is the first time we've seen Bill Oram's byline, isn't it? Can you tell us a bit about him?

It appeared that Bompastor was playing left back.

Chicago must have a lot of depth if Carli Lloyd is coming off the bench.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 14, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Ohhh -- Bora and Bfana Bfana are denied glory....

Posted by: fischy | June 14, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Oops that should read Bora and Iraq get lucky, as Bfana Bfana are denied glory.

Posted by: fischy | June 14, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

To report a query from a previous thread: Should we expect to see Ryan Nelsen on the telly this afternoon? Are there any other ex-MLS and/or ex-NCAA players on non-USA squads in this competition?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 14, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Pienaar can get the ball in the net -- hard to understand why he would be on the bench.

Sounds like Cordeiro might be getting in a groove. Good for him. I still think Ryan could turn into a solid MLS-level player. Peters on only for 45 minutes. I wonder if he is just not that good, or just not that fit. Either way, he needs to get more playing opportunities, in case United needs him down the road -- fixture congestion approaching at the end of next month.

USA-Italy again. It may be a bogus tournamnt, but I am starting to feel it.

Posted by: fischy | June 14, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Joel: not my issue -- drives my wife insane. But I can't watch a game muted, either.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I think we've donated all of over banned horns to South Africa..."swarm of bees" is what my wife said.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Nelsen is not on the New Zealand squad. http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/teams/team=43978/squadlist.html

No idea why.

There are 4 current MLS players on the New Zealand squad. Duncan Oughton (Columbus), Simon Elliott (San Jose), Andy Boyens (Pink Cows), Jarrod Smith (Seattle). I didn't realize Oughton and Elliott were still in the league, but I guess they are.

Posted by: richcadieux1 | June 14, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Make that "...repeat a query..."

Posted by: universityandpark | June 14, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"The Post's Johannesburg bureau"...

The Post has a Johannesburg bureau?!? How big is it? This is one reason why it will be a sad day when mainstream newspapers disappear.

I-Reporters somehow just aren't the same.

Posted by: diego_r | June 14, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the 1st half of Telemundo's rebroadcast of the Brazil-Paraguay WCQ earlier this week.

Robinho still sucks his thumb.

So we should be able to beat these guys in the Cornfed Cup.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 14, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Pienaar on the bench? Nelson not called in for NEW ZEALAND?

These teams deserve to get demolished by Spain.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 14, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Nelsen is unavailable for NZ, as he is getting over a torn calf muscle he suffered against Chelski last month.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | June 14, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Goal Torres 6th minute. They look fantastic.

Excellent placement by Torres. Can't let him have that space.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Those horns are ridiculous. I hope they ban them from the World Cup or I will be watching all of the games on mute!

Posted by: dukez | June 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh wow what a penetrating cross by Villa -- Torres has 2 in 14.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh this is just not fair -- I am so happy we aren't playing them. Torres with a driving header for 3 in 18.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm stunned that Andrew Boyens is having a tough game ;)

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Torres just scored a hattrick in the first 17 minutes vs. New Zealand in the Confed Cup.

This is painful.

Iraq, South Africa... start praying now.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 14, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow that could the fastest hat trick ever scored? But than again it's NZ. I feel sorry for them.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | June 14, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure DCU's chances at Seattle this week are a lot better with Jarrod Smith away on national team duty. (Yeah, right!)

Posted by: universityandpark | June 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Iraq, South Africa... start praying now.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 14, 2009 2:48 PM
_________________________________________

Actually, this result may work in those teams' (especially South Africa's) favor, insofar as Spain will have less incentive to run up the score. In fact, if Spain wins on Wednesday, the Bafana Bafana may face a B side on Saturday. I'm sure that a Spain B side would still dominate a South Africa A side, but if there is a tight race for second place in the group, every little bit helps.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 14, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Oceania should be folded into the Asian Confederation of FIFA (like Australia already did) and Asia should be limited to a maximum of 4 slots for the World Cup. That Asia has the same number of guaranteed slots as South Africa and an easier play-in is an absolute disgrace.

You think New Zealand is better than Uruguay or Colombia?

Posted by: diego_r | June 14, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

oops, I mean same number of guaranteed slots as South America or CONMEBOL for those scoring at home

Posted by: diego_r | June 14, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I shouldn't keep watching... but I cannot look away.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 14, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree -- combine Oceania with Asia. Though five teams from Asia is fine with me. But sure, you could give that fifth spot to Europe.

And give South America an automatic fifth spot, though it may very well work out that way. CONCACAF only deserves three spots.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 14, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone watching Flamengo vs. Cortiba from the Brazilian League....what's up with the field????? This might be the 1 of the worst looking fields I have EVER seen!

Posted by: BenCanada | June 14, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

In case anyone is wondering, Goff had the Boca-Racing game listed at 5pm today on FSC, but I just checked the FSC Web site and the game will be broadcast at 8pm.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 14, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Of course, then you would have teams stretching from Saudi Arabia to Fiji.

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I turned on the Spain-NZ match in the 35th minute and Spain were ahead 4-0. Apparently the throngs of cans had seen enough by then and left the stadium to beat the Sunday evening traffic.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 14, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

throngs of "fans," not cans.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 14, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Just watched the 2nd half of South Africa v. Iraq on ESPN.360 (BTW, this is free to you if you have RCN as your internet provider). Neither team looked particularly good, but South Africa was at times creating some nice options. The announcers weren't so hot -- kept deriding the Iraqis overhit crosses without seeming to realize that the Iraqi team probably hasn't ever played in altitude and thus wasn't adjusting to the light air.

The Spain/NZ game was pretty painful. Can't help but wish that Nelsen was healthy enough to possibly provide some stability in the Kiwi backline. NY Red Bull defender Boyens had a total cartoon wind-up whiff on a routine clearance which let a ball go right to Villa's feet for the 5th goal.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 14, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

what... I guess I'm the only living fan of those damned horns. It would make being in the stadium an absolutely psychedelic experience. Anybody who's seen the film EL TOPO would love it.

Having one idiot next to you bleating on a plastic trumpet is annoying, but having 20,000 people blowing 'em for 90 minutes is phenomenal.

Posted by: IntangibleArts | June 15, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse