USA Rewind

They're too old, too slow, too predictable. The coach leans too heavily on holdovers from previous World Cups and is being pummeled in the blogoshere. Trouble looms as next year's tournament approaches. One of the most promising young players was -- gasp! -- born in another country.

We're not talking about the United States. We're talking about Italy.

The reigning world champions found themselves down a goal despite a man advantage against the Americans before recovering for a two-goal victory. They failed to score against Egypt and were no match for Brazil. What was more humbling: the USA's start against the Brazilians or the Azzurri's eight-minute stretch before halftime today? Hmmm.....

(For the record, the USA's Benny Feilhaber is originally from Brazil and Freddy Adu from Ghana. Italy's Giuseppe Rossi was raised in New Jersey.)

SEMIFINALS
Wednesday
USA vs. Spain, 2:30 ET (ESPN, Telefutura)
Thursday
Brazil vs. South Africa, 2:30 ET (ESPN)

Regardless of the result, the Americans will play again next Sunday (championship match or third-place game). Gold Cup training camp is scheduled to open the next day in Seattle with a mostly new roster.

Some USA players' Twitter comments after the match:

CharlieDavies10: "We did it!!!!! Made it out of a group with Brazil Italy and Egypt. Anything is possible! Thanks for all the support!!!"

JozyAltidore17: "That one was for the fans we owe it you guys!!!!!!"

FreddyAdu11: "absolutely amazing. anything is possible. wow!"

SachaKljestan: "Unbelievable!!!"

What are your player ratings from today's victory?

Video highlights! Watch 'em before the FIFA gods shut 'em down:

By Steve Goff  |  June 21, 2009; 7:11 PM ET
Categories:  Confederations Cup , Italy , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: USA-Egypt
Next: Poll: Confederations Cup

Comments

Plus wasn't Altidore born in Haiti?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 21, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts on today's wild outcome + a new poll on Bob Bradley's fate. (83% wanted Bradley fired in our last poll; only 9% wanted him to stay on)

Have your say:

Posted by: eubh223 | June 21, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

BOB STILL NEEDS TO RESIGN!

We have no style and tactics still leave much to be desired.

Lucked out today...and it was a GREAT result, but I think our fans have made strides in demanding accountability.

Keep up the pressure.

Posted by: arswift24 | June 21, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

i dont want to hear about adu/feilhaber/altidore/etc as being born elsewhere and should not be on the usa team. my big complaint with rossi is that he grew up IN the usa and therefore should play FOR the usa. none of the other guys spent any significant time in their country of birth. even rossi has spent the majority of his life in america.

and yes, this argument means that i do not feel that Jones should be playing for the usa....

Posted by: bksoccer1 | June 21, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

It was nice to hear John Harkes speechless. After complaining about Clint Dempsey the entire game - it sure was silent when he put the 3rd goal in.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 21, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

If I and my American wife were teaching in Brazil, and my kids were born there, and they grew up there, and they were soccer beasts, I would want them to play for the USA.

Posted by: uac1530 | June 21, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

bksoccer1,

I'm pretty sure that "for the record" should be treated as a "by the way", and you may want to dial down the redinthefacepoundingdeskwithfirst-o-meter a wee bit.

I'm also pretty sure that most people will think birth to age 6 or 8 is not insignificant time to spend growing up in Brazil or Ghana, but hey, it's not like childhood years matter a whole lot in a person's development, right?

Plus, Jozy was born and grew up in North Jersey, which New Yorkers would consider a foreign land.

Seriously though, it's really hard to get worked up about a guy putting on a polyester shirt of another country. It's not like he suited up for Mussolini's army or said mean things about George Bush, you know? He grew up hearing the lore of the Azzurri, and if you grew up a Rossi in New Jersey, you'd jump at the chance to play for Italy too.

What did bother me, though, was how he celebrated the goals against the United States. Just as you don't celebrate goals against your former clubs, you don't celebrate goals against the country of your birth. Podolski didn't celebrate against Poland in Euro 08, and I'm sure Vieira wouldn't have celebrated against Senegal. But Rossi isn't classy like that.

Posted by: holycalamity | June 21, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

For the moment, I am humbled enough to keep my mouth shut about the USMNT.

This week's forecast: Expect usual negativity to resume on Wednesday afternoon.

Posted by: HWLongfellow | June 21, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Since I've done nothing but comment all day.

Guzan 6: Did better than I thought he would, not great on crosses.

Bornstein 5: If he would stop tugging on jerseys, I'd be fine with him.

Gooch 7: Made the Egyptians look even smaller, made decent passes.

Demerit 7: See no reason not to give him this rating.

Dempsey 7: He gets three points extra for getting us that header. Nice to see that Bob now realizes where his talent really lies.

Clark 5: Never left his feet. Nuff said.

Bradley 8: He passed, he defended, he scored.

Donovan 7: Moves? He has moves? Would have been 8 if he had just taken that shot.

Davies 9: He showed us why we should start young fast forwards. Scored with pluck, ran for every minute he was on.

Altidore 6: He is still the best forward we have, despite being out of form. Imagine if Xerez actually had invested in him?

Subs: Feilhaber deserves a 6, maybe a 7 for showing he can tackle. Casey, how do you rate a person who was hired to waste time?

Bob: It took you this ridiculous situation to actually attempt to play offense in this tournament. None of your bonehead decisions seemed to matter today.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 21, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

USSF doesn't care about soccer.

Posted by: sitruc | June 21, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I just wanted to see us give some effort when we get a shot against a decent team outside CONCACAF but not in the historical top 10. Kudos all around, although I'm still not sold on Bob Bradley. Tonight could have been players reacting to all the negative critisism, our message board alone was great locker room posterboard fodder.

Also, lay off of Rossi, that's extremely childish. Despite the fact that he grew up dreaming of playing for Italy, not advancing out of the group stage in the Confederations Cup is really not that big a deal. Who has a better chance of winning the WORLD CUP (the important tournament, remember), the US or the defending World Cup Champion? I think he's just fine with his decision to play for Italy and I personnally wish him all the best.

Posted by: daandre3 | June 21, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Altidore was born in Jersey. His parent's are from Haiti.

The sad thing about advancing is that the USSF will consider it a victory. We had one good game out of three. Not exactly progress.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | June 21, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

From Reuters:

"Egypt Coach Fired; Caught in Pyramid Scheme"

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 21, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

The optimist in me says B. Bradley may get a break when some of our injured guys return, i.e. we won't be complaining about Bornstein (as long as he forgets about having Beasley ever see playing time again.) But, he needs to make smarter subs and stop playing favorites. It's amazing how much playing time he gives to the players he drafted in the MLS.

The pessimist in me says the players really covered for him today and he won't always get the same effort from his guys and he'll be left making the same poor decisions.

I'm officially a fan of Spector - makes good overlapping runs, solid out wide and had that great cross today. Demerit also deserves some love. Would like to see what Jermaine Jones can add. Maybe replace Ricardo or Dempsey? Guzan seemed a little shaky on the crosses and was indecisive at times - how many times did he get himself out of position to swat at a ball in the box?

My prediction for the Spain game: Spain 4 U.S. 1. Or, optimistically, Spain 2 U.S. 0

Not a slam on the U.S. it's just Spain is a juggernaut right now.

Posted by: Lucius2 | June 21, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Guzan 5 - didn't have to do much and looked shaky on crosses
Spector 7 - Very solid play in the back (save for the slip) and a great cross on the third goal
DeMerit 7 - His best game of the tournament so far.
Onyewu 7 - Same as DeMerit
Bornstein 6 - Pretty solid, but sometimes picked the wrong times to join the attack.
Clark 6 - No boneheaded plays, covered ground well.
Bradley 8 - Another fine performance from him. Communicated well.
Dempsey 5 - Other than the goal, Dempsey was pretty poor. He looked much better at forward when he got moved up late in the game.
Donovan 9 - He is BY FAR the best player we have, period.
Altidore 6 - I thought he did a pretty good job of holding the ball and bringing others into the attack.
Davies 6.5 - Great hustle and work ethic all game long, exemplified on the goal.

Subs:
Feilhaber 6 - He was fine, looked pretty comfortable with the ball and distributed pretty well.
Casey 5.5 - Held the ball OK and wasted a bit of time, but he should not be playing on the national team.

Posted by: GoUnited | June 21, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

This is the lineup I would like to see for next game:
Howard
Spector DeMerit Onyewu Bornstein
Torres Clark Bradley Donovan
Dempsey Altidore

Posted by: GoUnited | June 21, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

ESPN reported at the beginning of the day that the combined goal differential in the US-Egypt and the Brazil-Italy game had to be 7-0. That was not true,

Posted by: GeneWells | June 21, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Before we get too happy - and there WAS stuff to be pleased with - realize that Egypt played pretty darn poorly for long stretches, and that helped our showing.

For example, I have not seen a "top level" team make so many passes out of bounds in a while. Even MLS teams tend to connect better. There was minimal pressure in midfield for many parts of the match, and the covering in back was speculative as well.

I hope we take the result and use it to re-stock our collective sense of pride and energy so that we face Spain with some amount of cojones and flair. Please.

Posted by: 22206no1 | June 21, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Guys deserve all the praises in the world. And huge thanks to Brazil.

Still: BB should go. Our guys' success today does not cancel tactical and personnel mistakes. Italy's lousy form doesn't absolve our mistakes.

Italy, fire Lippi - we'll take him!

Posted by: Tolik | June 21, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GeneWells | June 21, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I am utterly amazed that an organization that employs Alexi Lalas as a soccer expert could be wrong about anything.

Posted by: csd1 | June 21, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Good win. But we already know we can beat teams like Egypt. (And a weakened Egypt, too.) We'll never get over the hump until Bob realizes that we have to at least try to play our game against the big boys, too. But watch: we'll come out against Spain with a lone striker, hoof up speculative long balls, concede possession because we won't in central midfield to hold the ball...

I'm glad we won. I'm stoked we get to play Spain and another game. But I'm not surprised we beat Egypt. They're on par with Costa Rica and Honduras. I'm more stunned by the Italy-Brazil result. Today proved our players can actually play some, have some pride...and Bob's still not the right guy. (How do you not use that third sub? How do you bring on Casey instead of Torres or Adu, who can actually hold the ball? Bob bunkered late. Inexcusable when Egypt were totally beaten. We should have stepped on their throats and pushed for an insurance goal.)

Posted by: DEFPOTEC1 | June 21, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

All credit to the US National Team today. They played with a lot of heart and effort. I still think Bob Bradley should go. I'm especially worried that Bradley will learn all of the wrong lessons from this tournament. He got very lucky - that's the main lesson to take away.

If Egypt hadn't played themselves into exhaustion and had actually tied Italy on Thursday the US wouldn't be advancing and Egypt would've had more to play with today. Three subs to injury is devastating, in addition to having your best player out.

Posted by: diego_r | June 21, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

These are the kind of quotes that make me worry about Bradley.

"I’ve always come out very strong in terms of sticking to what I believe in. . . "

“I believe strongly in the way we go about things on the inside,” he said. “Within our group, we always know that when we’re in something together there’s a trust, there’s a sense that even when things are swirling around on the outside, none of that has anything to do with what we’re doing on the inside.”

Posted by: Lucius2 | June 21, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

@ Virginiafan: While it got us into the semi's, Dempsey scoring was the only thing he did all game, nay all tournament. He has been poor and deserved all the criticism so far.

Posted by: owendylan | June 21, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Congradulations to the boys, you desereved the victory today. Now we get Spain...

While I was not on the fire BB before this tournament began, I am now. You have got to put Torres or Adu into these games. Holding the ball can be a good thing. Come on Yanks!!!

Posted by: kingqueso | June 21, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Will there be a rebroadcasst of this game?

Posted by: Ron16 | June 21, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

First off, I don't understand all the commotion about foreign born players playing for the US or vice versa. If you have it in your heart to play for the US, that's good enough for me. If you don't, that's their choice.

Second, we advanced according to the rules of the tournament, same ones everyone else abides by. Obviously, I wish we looked better before today, but we did advance. And the US team deserves the credit that it's due for that. I'm not saying we can't talk about the many problems we've been exhibiting of late, but let's give 'em their due. They've advanced fair & sqaure.

I only managed to watch the highlights but I am super impressed by Davies' goal! The quality of effort and cussedness he displayed in fighting to make that happen provided one of the most memorable goals in US soccer history, IMHO. That was a rare bird we saw there. LOVED it!

Posted by: KireDCU | June 21, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

While I agree that we shouldn't get *too* high on the win, it's not like the US was having 1998 Redux or anything - if anything, everything going our way today is simply luck balancing out.

Remember, the US had played 90 of the previous 180 minutes down a man, and all but one of the goals conceded came during those 90. And those red cards were pretty harsh - they were both on clumsy, mistimed, rather than malicious or dangerous tackles -, while Chiellini should have been ejected for his foul on Altidore (rules are clear about this - if you're the last man back and impede a clear scoring opportunity, it's a straight red).

While the Brazil match was epic FAIL, the US was respectable against Italy, and at least the second Rossi goal can be directly attributed to fatigue from 10 guys chasing 11.

So yeah, let's not act like everything's A-OK, but we need to stop acting like we don't deserve to be in the semis.

Posted by: holycalamity | June 21, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I still support Bob Bradley's firing. I guess a Father's Day reprieve is acceptable but his tactics and player selection are still unacceptable.

I'm not planning to attend the Gold Cup if Bradley is coach even though I go to RFK on a regular basis and should be in town for the Honduras game.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 21, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Well in Joe Doc.

THe team showed heart and fire today, not to forget "cussedness." That was enjoyable to see.

Rossi is a Eurosnob.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 21, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

The irony about the Rossi situation here is that even if he did choose to play for the US, Bradley probably still wouldnt start him. Seriously, think about it.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | June 21, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

You want ratings? I got ratings:
Guzan-7
Spector-7.5
Gooch-8
Demerrit-6
Bornstein-4
Bradley-8
Landycakes-9
Ricardo Clark-Has never earned a rating and never will
Dempsey-5+4 for the goal
Altidore-7
Davies-8
Bennie the Beast-Incomplete
Casey???-MLS, yes that is his rating.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | June 21, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

The best thing about today is this should help us get a #1 group seed for the World Cup draw (if we take care of business in the rest of qualifying). Because this tournament weighs heavily in FIFA's calculations, right?

Posted by: Pedalada | June 21, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

For all those skeptics, this game demonstrates that the U.S. is making progress. We are still outclassed by the top 15-20 teams in the world (Italy & Brazil are easy examples), but we can beat the rest. We are getting more players in top leagues abroad, and we have more young guys over there. We are getting a bit more flare and need to make sure we don't forget what makes team US play at its best. Hard work, athleticism, teamwork and grit. Somehow we need to stop getting cards. I promise we'll win a World Cup by 2062. I'm calling it now. 2010 is not going to happen, but we should progress out of the group stage. Keep the faith. And the next person who calls for Bob Bradley to be fired, just tell me an attainable coach who would be better to replace him.

Posted by: SeanWG | June 21, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Way to think, Pedala. And third place is Very doable.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 21, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see the home team show a little heart finally and get a result. Although, it has to be said that Egypt was completely spent from going all out vs. Brazil and Italy, and without Zidan, they don't have any players who can be dangerous at the top of the attack. Fair result though, and it's sweet to see Italy crash so hard! Spain is going to destroy us though...

What else...
-- Dempsey, even with the goal, needs to sit.
-- Davies, needs more time on the field.
-- Spector, yes.
-- Guzan, eh. (a little lost on the crosses)
-- Torres, please.
-- Bornstein, not the answer.
-- DeMerit, good to have around.
-- Casey, pointless.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 21, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Wednesday's proposed lineup from @Gounited. I would rather sit Dempsey because Harkes is right: he is a lazy showboating, ineffective, defensive liabiity. BUT, you know that Bradley won't sit him, so put him up front.

Howard
Spector DeMerit Onyewu Bornstein
Torres Clark Bradley Donovan
Dempsey Altidore

Ratings?
Guzan-7
Spector-7
Gooch-7
Demerit-7
Bornstein-6
Bradley-7 (8 on offense 5 on defense)
Donovan-7 (8 everywhere but finishing)
Clark-5
Dempsey-6 (4 for sloth plus 2 for finishing)
Altidore-5
Davies-8
Feilhaber-7

ps maybe we'll see Freddy in DC against Honduras

Posted by: rana3 | June 21, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so, I'm not gonna say anything about how I feel about things as of this point, cause I'm not sure. I will reserve judgement until the first 5 minutes wednesday on that matter.

But for now, I will just relive the fun of today. When the second goal went in, I did a lap or two aroudn the house, great room-kitchen-dining room. After that, forget sitting down. Ball in my hands, occasionally pounding it to the carpet in frustration. When the third goal went in, after jumping some, a couple of more laps, my brother and I ended up hugging and jumping aroudn the living room, screaming like girls the whole time.

Today was why I fell for this thing called Soccer. It's nice to be reminded of that every now and then. Thank you, you Yanks, thank you.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 21, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Gooch-7
Demerit-7
Bornstein-3
Bradley-7
Donovan-7
Clark-4
Dempsey-6 (3 for sloth plus 3 for finishing)
Altidore-5
Davies-7
Feilhaber-5
casey - 2

Posted by: castroviejo | June 22, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

that little drum interlude between clips is The Cure's "Just Like Heaven". Thought I'd throw that in there

Posted by: Pete803 | June 22, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Amazing how quickly things can turn! I didn't even bother to watch today because I figured US was done.

Nice to see that there will be two more games. Need them to wash the taste of this tournament out of my mouth. Played one good half against Italy only to get beat up by a kid from NJ.

Against Brazil, the team just crapped its collective pants. Awful, awful, awful.

The ONLY saving grace is that Italy just fell apart at the seams.

Count me among those who don't think Bob Bradley is out of the woods in terms of saving his job. I like the guy, personally, I just don't like where this team is headed.. which is group & done in 2010 if they don't get it together... soon!

Posted by: clb_in_md | June 22, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Shelve all this "Fire Bradley" talk.

I'd rather have an American coach than some foreign mercenary-coach.

I have been very underwhelmed with Dempsey lately, and I'd prefer to see him start the next match on the bench. Be it for Torres or Adu. I'd also give Davies the start up top again.

Posted by: alecw81 | June 22, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Euro TV only showed the Brazil-Italy game, but that was OK because I also have the U.S. Armed Forces Network. Yep, the U.S. military's dedicated service for our soldiers, sailors, and airmen showed...the Brazil-Italy game. I must admit I enjoyed watching Italy get shelled. Toni started again -- for all of you who think Lippi is a genius -- and did nothing whatever. When Rossi got on, he was spectacular.

And as to firing Bradley, I'm not a BB fan, but the only coach for whom I would make the change right now is Hiddink. And I'm not guessing he's available. So man up, Bob, and play Adu, Torres, and Davies a lot more.

Posted by: troy6 | June 22, 2009 4:07 AM | Report abuse

A seed ain't happening, folks, bar an absurd series of events that include three of the following not making the finals: Germany, Italy, France, Spain, brazil, Argentina, England. Even if we trounce spain and brazil and go unbeaten through the gold cup and qualifying, we can't mathematically pass any of those teams for one of the seven seeds available.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 22, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

THE MOST important thing I take from this is… with our backs against the walls, we fought our way to victory to advance. I didn't know that our boys had that trait in them, but now I do.

That makes me feel a whole lot better about our chances to secure a decent qualifying spot coming out of Concacaf, and maybe even advance out of our group at the WC.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 22, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

This game should do nothing to change everyone's criticism of B. Bradley. We finally came out with some pride, but having said that, what changes did Bradley actually make as a result of our two previous embarassments? He basically trotted out the same line-up as before...the fact that we played like we should means nothing. We have to play BETTER than we should to succeed on the world stage or else its going to be heartbreak again for us at the World Cup.

And please....lets not forget Donovan muffing the best scoring opportunity we had all game...remember? The one where he had a 1v1 with the GK and didn't even manage a shot on goal? This is our all-time leading goalscorer?!

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | June 22, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The funniest thing about these comments are that all the remarks made about Ching are now being said about Casey. Casey did his job, but Ching is still the better option at forward of the two. I really enjoyed Davies hustle. I hope he gets loaned/transferred to a better league than Sweeden.

Posted by: no_recess | June 22, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

despite the miraculous advance, this team is still embarassing. an 8-team tourney and they need help to make the second round with a 1-2 record. a three-goal lost to......wait for it.....Egypt?

this program has regressed dramatically since Bruce Arena was in charge.

Posted by: Durham2 | June 22, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"Cussedness," "grit" -- agreed. Great to see a US team display these qualities. I hope they don't go Bora Bora on Wed v. Spain. Those tactics would be a disgrace and un-American.

Is it possible that Dempsey is physically not well? He doesn't look like himself out there. Except for that one shining moment.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 22, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

OWNTF: Thanks for the NCAA on CBS moment (now I won't get that song out of my FRICKIN' HEAD for two weeks!

TROY6: Armed Forces Network hates soccer.

NO_RECESS: Charlie Davies showed initiative, tenacity, and the knack for unorthodox finishing yesterday. It's something that is needed in front of the goal cage.

Posted by: bs2004 | June 22, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I agree. Bob needs to start selecting the starting 11 a bit more wisely. I believe Dempsy is simply lost in our system right now. he could be tired from the EPL, he does start every game for fulham, and plays well, distributing the ball from side to side. If Landon can play every game like he played against Egypt, i think other players will then find their roles on the team. LD needs to step it up. Back to Bradly, i think conor casey is a good call up for central american games. Other than that, i dont want to see him playing unless we have serious injury problems. I would rather see ADU up top, then see him. I dont understand why bradly is sitting torres/adu. In the Brazil game i expected to see at least Torres on the field. Klejstian is a waste of time as well. Faelhaber should get the start with clark next to him.

Posted by: g3impreza | June 22, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Enough of the negativity. This was a wonderful result in the face of astronomical odds. At the very least the team is getting quality experience a year before the World Cup. These two weeks should really help this team during the rest of qualifying. No team they face in qualifying will be of the caliber they are facing right now. Given Mexico's current struggles and the injection of confidence this tournament will bring, I believe the MNT will come away victors in August.

Posted by: blackandred777 | June 22, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that was greeat and surprising to say the least.
BBradley still needs to move on. As does the USMNT.

Posted by: googlio | June 22, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I would love to see Dempsey played up front as a withdrawn forward. They can hide his defensive deficiencies there (even though on Fulham, he seems to try a lot harder on the defensive end). Also, about left back, why not put Bocanegra at LB, and keep DeMerit at CB. Demerit looked great, and doesn't Boca play LB for his club team? Does anyone agree with me? Boca at LB has to be better than anything we have.

Posted by: btisinge | June 22, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Obviously this team will not be competing in the Gold Cup. Anybody heard who will get placed on the Gold cup roster and when it will be announced?

Posted by: blackandred777 | June 22, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse