Thursday Kickaround

The USA was simply outclassed by Brazil in today's 3-0 Confederations Cup loss, though its second-half performance was an improvement after the dreary start. Kljestan's red card didn't help the cause. The Americans will undoubtedly qualify for the World Cup from CONCACAF, but will they begin to make strides on the global front before next summer's tournament?

I need to hop on a flight to Denver for D.C. United's weekend match against the Rapids, so I'll leave you with these items:

USA PLAYER RATINGS
Howard 5; Spector 4, Onyewu 4, DeMerit 4, Bornstein 4; Dempsey 4, Bradley 4, Kljestan 3, Donovan 4, Beasley 3; Altidore 4. Subs: Casey 5, Feilhaber 6. (Why no third substitute in a game like this?)

*DCU learned today that, if it defeats amateur Ocean City (N.J.) in the U.S. Open Cup on June 30 at Maryland SoccerPlex, the club will return to the Montgomery County venue seven days later to play New England or USL2 Harrisburg in the quarterfinals.

*Revolution reserve goalkeeper Zack Simmons has retired to enroll at Yale Law School.

*The WPS's goal-scoring draught continued last night with Sky Blue's 1-0 victory over Chicago before 2,611 in New Jersey and Boston's 1-1 tie with Gold Pride in front of 3,128 at Harvard. Only four goals have been scored in the past five games, and in the last nine matches, only one team (Los Angeles) has had a multigoal performance. The Washington Freedom visits St. Louis on Saturday afternoon. Meantime, the league today introduced the Atlanta Beat as a 2010 expansion club.

*Soccer on TV today:
Confederations Cup, Italy-Egypt 2:30 p.m. ET ESPN2, Galavision
Copa Libertadores, Estudiantes-Defensor 6:30 p.m. Fox Sports Espanol
Copa Libertadores, Sao Paulo-Cruzeiro 9 p.m. FSE

By Steve Goff  |  June 18, 2009; 11:49 AM ET
Categories:  Confederations Cup , D.C. United , MLS , TV , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , Women
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: USA-Brazil
Next: Fred Sidelined

Comments

Good for Zack. Glad he has something to "fall back on."

Posted by: DCUinCT | June 18, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand the US team. What are they playing for? What are they trying to take away from this tournament?

Posted by: sitruc | June 18, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

No more Beasley.

Posted by: Modibo | June 18, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Now that Kljestan isn't available, will Torres finally get a chance?

Posted by: YNBA | June 18, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Coach Bradley 1

If you are blooding the team that will play in the WC get as many on the field as you can. Show some emotion for g sake. This team has his dour personality and is nearly without emotion. It also has little creativity, also reflecting him.

Ugly to watch, but most of the fault lies on the sidelines

Posted by: Ruthie1 | June 18, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Mr Harkes said that BB has more answers now after two games. I would suggest these answers are:

People who clearly are not good enough:
Beasley
Clark
Kljestan

Probably not good enough:
Fiehlaber
Bornstien

Good enough:
Bradely
Donovan
Howard

Why at all?
Casey

-The reason our midfielders get red cards is because they are a step slower than everyone. There touch is poor and there speed of play is too slow.
-I feel bad for Donovan because I think he has shown his class over two games. Its a shame because no one helps his cause.
-Beasley might not even start in an MLS 11 anymore.
-Feilhaber hit the crossbar after great work from Spector and Donovan, so cue the "he has still got potential" posts. He still does not know what to do with when he gets the ball in the midfield.
-Conor Casey looked as if he didn't even want to be out there.
-Could write a whole essay on Dempsey so I just won't comment on him.
-Why is Bob Bradley so worried about defensive shape all the time?

With that said, I would suggest we start fresh with new faces. We know these guys cant preform so why not try something else?

Posted by: grubbsbl | June 18, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I hate to play editor, but I'm pretty sure you mean "drought", not "draught".

On the other hand, I keep hearing about a beer garden at the Soccerplex, so if they have a "goal-scoring draught", I'll drink to that....

Aaahhh -- who am I kidding? I love playing editor....

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

All these years, yet no playmaking CAM or forwards that get it done. Would've liked to see Freddy play some today and surprised that Twellman doesn't get more call ups.

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

They all deserve zeros.

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

A 4 for Altidore? Por que? 2 at best.

No grit, no fire, no desire to win the game from just about the entire team. And it starts at the top.

How many times did the US connect 5 consecutive passes? How many first touches went so high they nearly hit players in the chin -- or simply went under their foot? How many balls did Howard hit over Brazil's end line, simply because he didn't have the confidence to play a ball out to a defender to initiate an attack?

Disgraceful.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I thought that Donovan, gouch and Demeritt did better than 4s...would have given them a 5 to separate them a bit from the other 4s. I didn't think Howard was all that great - he was partly at fault on the first goal - shouldn't get a 5. Casey was useless - don't understand the 5 on that one. Other than that....the ratings tell it all.

Posted by: Beckster1 | June 18, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

""and surprised that Twellman doesn't get more call ups""

I really hope this is sarcasm. He would be a huge step backwards.

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Um... Yeah...

What can be said. They played horrible today.

Either they were all drained from Monday, or they could care less, Boss Bradley did not make good choices today. He needs to kick start these players. They never show any emotion. I've never seen such a dire attempt at soccer. If this downhill trend continues, Sunjil Gulati should be on the phone with Guus Hiddick with a blank check all ready being wired to his house.

Posted by: adamsunited | June 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

i bet Mexico is having a great time watching us make a fool of ourselves on the world stage.

seems to me that Mexico may be a better team or even Costa Rica may do better on the world stage than the US. and yes US is king of CONCACAF but that may be because we have Mexico's number more than anything.

So what does it all mean? I means that US is over-rated and over-confident. We have not made any progress since last world cup.

where do we go from here? A few suggestions:

1) Bring all the players gathering dust in Europe back to US. Adu and Jozy and the likes need more playing time. But you guys are not getting it. Isn't it time to come back to MLS? at least you learn a thing or 2 in MLS league. at least you are keeping up your fitness playing every week. Jozy was a much better player linking up with Angel than he has sitting on the bench in Spain.

2) it is time to give up the adage that going to Europe is better. No it ain't. The prestige of playing in Europe fades out very quickly when you are not playing

3) USA needs a world class coach. Is there anybody out there still doubting that at this time? Bob B has been outcoached and outclassed. but he looks like a genius in CONCACAF.

4) We are lacking technical skills. Need to rework the system for youth development. right now the system of High School to College to MLS is not working.

5) other homegrown's soccer league have proven to be very competitive. Mexico's come to mind. Clearly since our players are not good enough to play abroad we need to elevate the style of play here in our own league. I think USSF has a stake in making sure that MLS invest more in the local league to develop talent and entice the young players to want to stay here instead of wanting to go to Europe. They certainly need to rework the salary scale for developping players and also increase the salaries of great young players instead of putting all that money into aging foreign DP.

Posted by: gmail | June 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

That was an all out fugly game. No comments for each individual player because I would just be reinforcing the obvious.
To quote Vince Neil in that Motley Crue song....
"Change
Now it's time for Change
Nothing stays the same
Now it's time for Change"

Posted by: forpat | June 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Since we dislike most of our players, let's just start with seven players against Egypt.

It'd be like having four free red cards. :D

I wish Klejistan's stupid challenge was our biggest concern. This team mostly played uninspired futbol for 57 minutes with 11 men.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Guus? Bora? Jürgen?

We need someone besides a boring ol' Bob.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bestmick1 | June 18, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"The Americans will undoubtedly qualify for the World Cup from CONCACAF." Hmmm...it's not over yet. We have 3 away games left. Mexico is hurting and could make a late run. It's not over yet. Let's hope we do qualify. However, let's not assume yet!

Posted by: Kromer523 | June 18, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

""and surprised that Twellman doesn't get more call ups""
I really hope this is sarcasm. He would be a huge step backwards.
Posted by: delantero
====================

Twellman had his chances but couldn't score. Nevertheless, he will stick his head through a guillotine to get it on the ball. Other than Brian McBride, who else can you say that about?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Herm Edwards (from pointythrowball) for USMNT coach -- he might not know much about futbol, but you have to admire his "you play to win the game" attitude.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | June 18, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

What, no pk for us this game? I guess the brazilians' check cleared this morning.

This is looking like 2006 WC all over again, with one goal scored in the competition; and not even in the run of play! I havent watched the game yet, but why no Torres and what shade of rose-colored glasses is bb wearing when he watches DMB play?

I am starting to lose my faith in this coaching staff and our lackluster, uninspired, heartless performances that we keep having. Granted its Italy and Brazil back-to-back, but if we ever want to win a World Cup, thats a probable gauntlet we'd have to run.

What's Klinsmann doing right now?

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | June 18, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to figure out if anyone kicked the idiot's @$$ that threw the bottle at Wicks last night? Will Garber address that in his blog too? As classy as it was for Seattle to boo Fred when he was injured, I was pretty surprised to see that bottle come flying in.
Sure hope someone makes some sort of apology before I commit to getting myself banned for life throwing bags of pee-pee at Keller when they come visit...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

A 3 for Beasley seems generous. What would he have to do to earn a 1 or a 2, stay on for the second half and continue gifting Brazil goal-scoring opportunities for another 45 minute? Fall down a few more times?

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 18, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Bradley needs to go. This team is too talented (or has too much potential) to look as bad as they do. The style of play may fit MLS, but not international soccer

Posted by: Leeguru | June 18, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

""I'm still trying to figure out if anyone kicked the idiot's @$$ that threw the bottle at Wicks last night?""

At every goal kick Wicks was pulling his shorts down and readjusting. Me thinks he was sending a subtle moon at the fans behind the goal. No excuse for throwing a bottle, but . .

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

So much for the delusion that WPS is scoring more goals and playing better soccer than MLS.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 18, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

surprised that Twellman doesn't get more call ups.

Posted by: Realness1
-------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing you don't pay much attention to American soccer.

Twellman hasn't been healthy for almost a year now. He got one start against DCU a couple of weeks ago, and now he's back to the injured list.

No doubt, if he were healthy, he might have gotten the call before Casey. Whatever you think of Twellman, he works his butt off. Unfortunately, it looks like his career might even be in jeopardy now.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"goal-scoring draught?" - if only the US men could simply "open the tap" to get some goals flowing. No fire today - Brazil is excatly who we thought they were and the US is too...not world class.

Posted by: soccerman | June 18, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Klinsy would be good for us. Spot on about the developmental systemic problems. Too many cookie cutters now w/ low soccer IQ.

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

My favorite quote of the week:
"He went down hard, down like Taylor Twellman in a stiff breeze...".

I've got no answers, but I can deny others' suggestions with the best of 'em.

Posted by: daggar | June 18, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Other than Brian McBride, who else can you say that about? Posted by: I-270Exit1

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

re "Mr Harkes said that BB has more answers now after two games. "

The Barra Brava always has helpful suggestions.

;-)

Posted by: Ron16 | June 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I have to echo what some of you have said before but I do not see this team making any waves w/ B Bradley as the coach. Not only have his subbing/game management been horrible he has failed to improve on our nat team from the last dismal WC appearance. 2-1 against Honduras at home just aint gonna cut it in 2010. I dont see anyone replacing him before 2010 but oh man Guus would be perfect for this role.

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | June 18, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

re: "Why doesn't the US team just stay home from now on? They're awful, then've always beeen awful, and they'll always be awful.

Posted by: bestmick1"

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 18, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Bring in Bora. He's the perfect choice for a one year run up to the World Cup. Tell him to do everything in his power to develop the younger players and get them ready to play in the World Cup, assuming we make it. If we make the Cup, only play people that will be young enough for 2014 and give them experience. The guys that have been to the past few Cups have had their chance. They're done, save for a select few. After 2010, do anything and everything to bring in Jürgen. And immediately find a way to make a better youth system!

Posted by: quentoncassidy | June 18, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

i've been reluctant to join the "Fire Bob" brigade, but i'm not sure what else to do at this point. i'm not even questioning his lineup choices at this point because i think in many cases it's a "cure is worse than the disease" kind of thing, but these guys just have no life to their game right now and don't seem to be developing into anything resembling a cohesive unit.

here's a few comments:

* Dempsey - just wow. if he played like this for Fulham he would be begging for a job in MLS right now. what a wanker.

* I can't wait until Maurice Edu is healthy. He's not going to solve all of our problems, but he has been gaining experience as a holding midfielder and i think he could be a reasonable partner for Bradley in the middle. Or if he can play wide, then let's try that.

* I'm with the anti-Kljestan crowd (sorry DadRyan). Other than that Sweden game, I have never seen anything from him that made me think he would be helpful at this level. Clark is in a similar boat, though I understand that if you keep eliminating guys, eventually you end up with only 7 or 8 guys to play and then what?

* I'm not sold on Torres, but if playing him means no more Beasley, then I'm all for it.

* There's no replacing Howard, but he really should have come out on that 2nd goal once the pass was made.

* I'm happy that Conor Casey got a chance to play (and wish that header had gone in), but he's sub-Ching and should remain as solely an emergency/injury call-up.

* I'm not convinced that Bornstein can't play at left back, but he's not been as good as I hoped. Trying Spector (once Hejduk is back) or Bocanegra over there needs to be done.

* It's a bit ridiculous how much this team misses Frankie Hejduk.

* I still think Feilhaber should get more playing time as continues to round back into form. Every game he's doing a couple worthwhile things and if he makes some modest improvements could be a real asset. I would put him on the Gold Cup roster.

I wish I had more answers, but today's game just left me feeling sad. I can only imagine what might happen against Egypt on Sunday. I don't think it's going to be pretty.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 18, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

So, I decided to watch a recording -- of the first Brazil goal. Utter crap, on several levels. First, the free kick was a total gift. Bradley puts his hand on Ramires's arm for an instant, and then pulls it away -- without pulling on the Brazilian. Then, the Brazilian dives.

On the actual free kick -- a bit of disorganization. Watching live, I thought Melo was offside. I'm guessing Spector did, too...when he let Melo get in front of him. But, DeMerit failed to hold his ground as a Brazilian player charges into him. This moves DeMerit back, arguably playing Melo onside. It's close enough anyway.

As dominant as Brazil seemed, if they don't get that phantom foul call, and if Beasley doesn't make that hideous error on the short corner pass, this game might have ended very differently.

That is not to say that USA is really competitive, but if you look at the rest of the game... Maybe Kljestan doesn't get sent off, and maybe Brazil doesn't get that last goal a few minutes later. Howard made some big saves, and the USA hit some crossbars. The rest of the game doesn't look so lopsided, if you take away those first two goals which should never have happened.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I was out this morning and didn't see the game, and yet, I knew exactly what would happen. Beasley plays horrible? Check. Late challenge for a redcard? Check? Dempsey invisible for most of the game? Check. Sadly, I saw of this coming six months ago, and even predicted that Bradley would either step down or be let go after the Azteca game. Looks like we're right on schedule for that.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

How long till WPS fails? Weren't they saying they need between 4-5k average attendance to break even?

I say two seasons before the league folds.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

who are our finishing forwards?

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

SonicDeathMonkey, I doubt USSF is taking the Confederations Cup too seriously when it comes to Bradley's performance. Unless we fail to qualify, i don't see Bradley being fired.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 18, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

do we have a ribery type CAM? who?

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Fire Tom Soehn!

That way he'll be ready for Bob Bradley's soon to be vacated post...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I've been thoroughly disappointed in Demerit's performances the past two games. Good thing we have Boca but if Jay is our next best option, we are in trouble.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | June 18, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey Goff!

As always, Class VI would like to extend an open invitation to you and any traveling DCU fans to join us at our pre-match tailgate. Free grub, free brews in the VIP parking lot on the south side of the stadium right across from the Cantina.

I'll actually be running a bone marrow donor registration drive during this week's tailgate too so anyone interested in that can join in.

Tailgate is from 5:30-7:30. Hope to see you there!

Josh V

Posted by: humeboy | June 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thought to keep in mind: this Brasil side is one that stresses defense first, by Brasilean standards, has a number of relatively pedestrian players and has been consistently criticized for being too limited offensively. And this is also the Confederations Cup--not the WC, not the Euro Championships--an event that Italy and Spain and Brasil would probably say is about 1 step, maybe 2, above most friendly matches. Let's put it this way--Brasil would care more about a friendly with Argentina than any of their Confed Cup matches.

1. We've played a lot of NT matches. Yet we're surprisingly limited in terms of personnel. Seriously, think of all the numerous Concacaf WCQs, the Gold Cup, the friendlies with Mexico, the Confed Cup, the CopaAmerica. And yet how many players can we honestly say we're really vetted. Instead, I'm afraid that we've used many of those matches to provide some PT for guys like Adu, Beasley, Edu who (at the time) weren't getting minutes with their clubs.

2. A lot of people used to say that we needed to get our best players to Europe. Well, we can now see that's not an automatic answer that is correct. Adu and Altidore are on the verge of not being factors for the WC because they're not getting PT. They're getting money--but no minutes. Okay, maybe that happens to 1 or 2 players but we've got a bunch of guys (Beasley is the poster child) who either haven't improved or might have even regressed b/c of lack of PT.

3. I don't think a coach isn't going to make a huge difference here. Think of it this way: right now our outside backs are less than impressive. Despite playing a scheme with 2 holding mids, suddenly we've got a shortage of ones we feel comfortable with in a big game. There are no forwards we could say are "in-form" and not many forward candidates period. And from the play recently you'd say that unless Donovan lines up at outside mid, our candidates there seem to underperform. Bradley works hard, watches a ton of film but his continued reliance on players he's comfortable with but are in poor form (Klejstan and Beasley to name two) are indictments of him.

4. Those who said we should go with Bora ignore that his MO with this team would be to park the bus in front of goal. We'd play a 4-2-3-1 and maybe only 2 of those players would cross midfield.

We're just not a very talented soccer nation right now. A lot of our young up-and-coming talent went to Europe and mostly didn't get better but sat on the bench. We've got more numbers but not more quality (though arguably Donovan has improved). Someone once compared Donovan to Freddie Lunjberg in his prime and I think that's accurate--Lundjberg is a great compliment player, a great 4th or 5th player to have but if you have to build an attack around him than you're clearly a very limited team that isn't going to trouble most of the strong sides.

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 18, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I should've posted these on this thread instead of the matchday thread...

Another pitiful performance. Personal player ratings:

Howard - 5
Spector - 4.5
Gooch - 7
Demerit - 5
Bornstein - 4
Dempsey - 4.5
Kljestan - 2
Bradley - 4.5
Beasley - 2
Donovan - 5.5
Altidore - 4.5

Subs:

Casey - 3
Feilhaber - 5.5

First with the really bad. Beasley and Kljestan. Just awful today. Beasley may have finalized playing his way off the rotation. Gave the ball away numerous times, didn't do anything dynamic, and was the initiating culprit on the 2nd goal. Kljestan was almost entirely invisible in the midfield, did nothing defensively (including being completely lost on the counterattack during the 2nd goal, and providing a very weak track), then drew a red card. Absolutely unacceptable.

Spector was actually a bright spot for most of the game, with the exception of his awful marking on aerial challenges. He was embarrassed on the first goal, then gave up at least one more (if not more) clean headers straight in front of goal. It's a shame, because he really did play well otherwise, being active up front and composed in the back.

Bornstein was owned on the left side. Brazil consistently picked on Bornstein, and it worked to great effect. He worked hard and got forward decently, but this was predictable for me. He was simply outclassed.

Demerit was solid. Nothing great, nothing terrible. Howard was left out to dry yet again, and made a few nice saves.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | June 18, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Bradley was up and down this game. He wasn't nearly as effective as he normally is in disrupting the flow of the opposing attack, which is expected going against Brazil. He showed good vision, but was a touch off on a number of fairly simple balls that ended up being turned over.

Dempsey, for all his dancing, plays the game painfully slow. It kills the flow of the game. He's got good skill, is a creative mind, but he almost always allows the defense to set even if we're on a break. He's slowly falling out of favor with me. And he's awful on set pieces.

Donovan worked hard and made a couple (one in particular) impressive runs with the ball. He didn't have much help, but he's finally providing consistent effort out there. I've been happy with Donovan in this tournament.

Altidore once again was all alone up top, and he struggled as a result. He wasn't drawing the fouls he normally does, but he did draw a corner with some nice footwork in the corner, something we lack with our other strikers. As soon as Casey came in and Altidore had someone to work with, he made an impressive run and created the only US chance up to that point before getting pulled (which was an awful decision).

Casey was lazy, slow, weak on the ball, and did hardly anything on the field. He gets points only for his header of the crossbar (which was nice) and his one layoff to Altidore. Two positive touches in 40 minutes. Not nearly good enough.

Feilhaber played well as a substitute, including a great attempt that hit the crossbar, as well as displaying his patented vision. That 2nd center-mid spot should be his so long as he doesn't pull a Clark-Kljestan.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | June 18, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to mention Gooch. The lone truly bright spot today. I thought he played excellent and held the center of the pitch in check. It's a shame his teammates didn't step to his level. Great game by Gooch.

And on another note, I don't know what world Bob Bradley lives in that he thinks a good substitution when you're down 2-0 and playing with 10 men is to pull of a dynamic striker for a central midfielder, and sit in a 4-4-1. It's pathetic. I'm convinced he wasn't even attempting to win the game at that point, just trying to protect from a bigger loss. I've been slow to criticize Bradley too much, but that's unacceptable. Not to mention leaving an available sub on the bench after playing yet again with 10 men. Sheesh.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | June 18, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to wait for Chest_Rockwell to type something, and then I'm going to agree with everything he's written.

Posted by: B_A_ | June 18, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Seriously with the ratings? come on, Gooch saved our bacon many times...Spector was shaky defensivley but provided almost all our offensive push other than by Donovan, and I like to point out LD's flaws, but for the 2nd time in this tourney he did the work of 2 players.

Posted by: teo_68 | June 18, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

do we have a ribery type CAM? who?

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Chris Pontius?

and no need to apologize for the Emo hate dimes... he's dead to me now;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 18, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Good news!

I believe ESPN2 is showing the match again at 1230 am tonight (barring unforeseen overtime in Celebrity Poker or World's Strongest Man competitions).

A transformer blew up near my house at 530am and we had no pwer...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Embarrassing. Bradley should be sacked this afternoon. We need someone with spirit and desire in that position. He brings no life to this team.

Our boys did not approach that game with the attitude of being able to play with Brazil. They never believed in themselves. You have to take the pitch thinking you can win. If you don't what's the point?

Beasley, Dempsey, and Kljestan should join Bradley today in exiting stage left. I don't understand why players like Holden, Torres, Davies, and Adu aren't seeing the field. I'm not sure they're the answer, but it can't be worse than what's been put out there so far.

I think these are important games because they show how far we have to go. CONCACAF qualification gives us a false sense of security. We need games like this to remind us that we're not there. Not even close.

Finally, Donovan was his old petulant self. He clearly wasn't interested, and was an embarrassment to the armband today. He didn't deserve to wear it. Howard and Gooch, and Bradley Jr. were the only ones out there who acted like they gave a ****.

That should tell us something about the future of this team.

Posted by: jpeace121 | June 18, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

This is the Confederations Cup... a completely meaningless exercise.

Is it really a revelation that the US can't compete with 2 of the top 5 teams in the World?

Really?

Posted by: alecw81 | June 18, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

A transformer blew up near my house at 530am and we had no pwer...

God did you a favor because the game was awful to watch....

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Beasley=Agoos
Sad to see the end of a quality career exposed this way.

Posted by: billq1 | June 18, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

We're just not a very talented soccer nation right now.

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 18, 2009 1:31 PM |
--------------------------------------------------

I wasn't ignoring that, at all. In fact, it's the lack of attacking talent that makes me think we'd get better results with Bora's approach. Bradley's approach is leaving us exposed, and we're making rash challenges and getting red cards. All these red cards -- at some point, you've got to ask why they're happening and what can be done to prevent them.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

A transformer blew up near my house at 530am and we had no pwer...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 18, 2009 1:51 PM |

i'm sure you can find a way to blame ESPN for that.....

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 18, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

My point being this -- we're not scoring anyway. We don't have the skills to penetrate against top teams and create many scoring chances. Why not pack 'em in deep and make it impossible for the better teams to get through our defense?

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@fischy - are you really trying to ensure that the "average" American has no interest in watching the USMNT? ;-)

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 18, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"All these red cards -- at some point, you've got to ask why they're happening and what can be done to prevent them."

I know there will be people that don't agree with me and say that I'm just complaining, but it really is about name recognition. If Gilberto Silva went in on a tackle the way Kljestan did, or if Gattuso went in on a tackle the way Clark did, no shot they get the straight red. Those players have defined the way the play on the field, and refs expect it. Not the same for the US.

Two preventative measures I can see.

(1) The age-old term "soccer brain". Know where you are, know your situation, and don't be stupid.

(2) Don't turn the ball over. Both those tackles came as an immediate reaction to a careless giveaway. Clean up the way you play, stay composed on the ball, don't give the ball away in bad areas, and you'll be much better set defensively. As a result, you won't have to gamble in order to win the ball back. And that's the major reason. Neither of those tackles were vindictive. They were simply overzealous gambles by players who lost the ball and didn't want to get exposed defensively.

Posted by: psps23 | June 18, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Beasly's MNT career should be over. Gooch was much better in both games. He may be the only bright spot. Landy was good vs italy and not bad vs Brazil.
Bottom line...the US just does not have enough talent to compete with the best in the world. Italy and brazil are amoung the best 5 or 10 teams in the world. Against teams outside of the top 10 or so the US can be competitive.
The coaching does not appear to be nearly sophisticated enough either. Finding a better coach is the easier fix. I think Bobs days are numbered, but he may make it through qualifying. I hope that USSF are looking for someonr to take over after that before the WC

Posted by: jjfooty | June 18, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Kromer523 | June 18, 2009 12:34 PM |

I agree with this! (the 3 away games are going to be very very tough)

If Mexico wakes up...

Posted by: Barracudas | June 18, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

A 3-0 loss to Brazil wouldn't feel so bad if we had actually played hard and left it on the field. Most of the guys are just going through the motions. There is no sense that they could be benched for poor play or lack of effort. Dempsey, Altidore, Beasley, Bradley all play as if they're guaranteed a start. No urgency, no pride, no character, no heart, no grit. Unacceptable. Gulati has to make changes.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 18, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Goal.com is reporting that Atlanta has been awarded a WPS team called the Atlanta Beat. 1996 soccer names strike again!

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 18, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Call US Soccer Now.

Phone: (312) 808-1300

The switchboard operator is very nice.

If this is a grassroots effort to build soccer, then let's get BB and SG fired.

Posted by: lprevolution | June 18, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

isn't "Beat" about the worst name you could choose for a team (OK, OK, outside of "Sky Blue")? i guess the headline writers will love it:

"'Beat'en Again...."
"Beat Goes Down Like Rented Mule"
"Bad 'Beat' Succumb To Late Goal"
"Beat Does Not Go On To Playoffs"
"Beat Lacking Rhythm in 3-1 Defeat"

and may i suggest for tomorrow's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"We Got The Beat!"

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 18, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

It will be interesting to see how we fare against Egypt. So far they are battling hard against Italy. I agree with those who noted the lack of spirit in the U.S. squad. It was shocking to see Casey loafing on defense. BB should have yanked him and put on Davies just to send a message. Starting Beas and Kljestan when they are both in poor form was mind boggling and as Goff noted, how do you not use a third sub in a match like this? Are Adu and Torres that far in the dog house? On the plus side I thought Benny showed some nice touches. Gooch played well and Landon continues to work very hard. Beas, Kljestan and Dempsey all need to go away and not come back until playing well at club level.

Posted by: popoki08 | June 18, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

This team, as it's constructed and coached, is out of the World Cup faster than ever in 2010. Their play of late has become a joke to the idea held in 2002 that by 2010 we could seriously compete for the Cup. Surely there must be some coach somewhere in the world with international experience, offensive strategy and passion that could do better than Bradley, even with the same players. They wouldn't have beaten Mexico today and that's a sad thing to say for US Soccer.

Posted by: virtueandvice | June 18, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Who expected the MNT to advance out of this group? The US is simply not in the same class as Italy and Brazil. The best news about this week is that is was the Confederations Cup not the World Cup. Hopefully lessons can be learned and this will work as a tool to improve the team through the qualifying. Wishful thinking I know but when you're down there is usually only one direction to go from there....

Posted by: blackandred777 | June 18, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Egypt Goooooooooooooool

Posted by: sitruc | June 18, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The Italians were marking like the Americans... hmmm.

Posted by: sitruc | June 18, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

HOMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 18, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Guess what?? The USA may not be eliminated from this tournament yet.

We may still be able to advance with a win over Egypt.....

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

How long ago did Nowak leave as Bradley's assitant to take the Philly job? Did that happen to coincide with this recent run of bad form by the US?

No idea - I'm just asking.

Posted by: isaac101 | June 18, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I think what makes me most mad is thinking back two years to 2007. We sent an awful team to Copa America. That was because the stated goal of US Soccer was to win the Gold Cup in order to qualify for the Confederations Cup.

So here we are in the Confederations Cup and we send out garbage. No one seems to care. No one seems to take pride in pulling on a US jersey against the world's best. We've been building up to this for at least two years and our effort is a joke.

I think Bob Bradley is even more loyal (to the point of blindness) than Bruce Arena was. He runs out the same players game after game. With job security like that, why play hard, especially if you don't really care.

I hope the two red cards don't distract people from the fact that this was Bob Bradley's secondary career goal (after the world cup) and he's had more than two years to prepare. And we're a joke. And worse, none of the players or coaches seem to care.

Posted by: diego_r | June 18, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

ps - I think I've been watching too much Hell's Kitchen but I would love to see what Gordon Ramsey would do with this team.

DAMARCUS! Give me your jersey! It's not good enough! GET OUT!!!!

Instead we get Bob "I'm in a coma just like my team" Bradley.

Posted by: diego_r | June 18, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

to those who say the confederations cup is meaningless, i would like to bring up the statment from some time ago that we weren't going to go to copa america so that we would concentrate on confederations cup, cause it was a very important trial-run for WC.

to those who say bora is the answer, i would like to ask you to look at his wikipedia page and see how many teams he has managed. he is a very temporary stop-gap to not get us overly embarrassed, not a real solution.

those who call for klinsmann, please look how badly he did at bayern. joachim low was the brains behind germany in 2006. see how well they are doing under him.

why not dick advocaat, or johan neeskens, or bruno metsu? i think all of them would be excellent choices, and could really help us develop our players and unique playing style. bottom line though: GET RID OF BOB BRADLEY IMMEDIATELY.

Posted by: dfunkt | June 18, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

My lineup for the Egypt game?

I'm thinking:

Donovan Altidore (though Davies might not be a bad idea)

Dempsey Clark Bradley Adu

(Clark is eligible to return, right?)(I'd save Feilhaber for a second-half substitution. Torres knows some of the Egyptian players from the Club World Cup, but he didn't impress me with his performance against Al Alhy.)

Bornstein Gooch DeMerit Spector

Not happy about the choices there. Unless Boca is back, I don't see many options. Don't want to test Wynne against the Egyptians, and I'm not impressed with Pearce and Califf.

I guess you go with Howard in goal, though I wouldn't be shocked to see Bradley give Guzan some action.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Rhetorical jab at the FIFA rankings: If Egypt is ranked 40th and the USA is ranked 14th, then I'm Sepp Blatter's big toe.

I'm definitely rooting for Egypt, though if they win, they keep the USA slim hopes alive ... meaning we probably won't see Adu, Torres, etc.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 18, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd be SHOCKED if Guzan played.

Bradley is loyal. Perhaps to a fault? :)

Posted by: Cerealman | June 18, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Next game, I go

Altidore Adu

Fielhaber

Beasley Donovan

Bradley

Bornstein Gooch DeMerit Spector

Howard

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

flat four, diamond and two.

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

egypt lineup:
-------------
altidore davies
adu torres donovan
bradley
bocanegra gooch demerit spector

Posted by: dfunkt | June 18, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

oh, and howard in goal (a given)

Posted by: dfunkt | June 18, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Beasley? Really? Please share whatever you are smoking (seriously, we all need it right about now).

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 18, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The torches and pitchforks might be warranted...but then what?

Folks are blasting the player selections. OK. Then whom to play?

We do not have the depth, period.

Keepers are solid. No surprise.

Other than Gooch, we do not have a defender that could start on any major national team. What is odd is that if our country could produce anything in the outfield, you would think it would be big, strong, efficient defenders. And yet, we can't. We are still moving midfielders to fill holes in the back.

In the midfield, Donovan is the only player that could perhaps make a European 18. The only other midfielder that could, might be Dempsey, but his irresponsibly poor control in the middle third would get him booted quick...he can't play in the middle as if he were on the flank.

Up top we have no one than could crack a European 18. Jozy is the best of our guys and can't get minutes. None of the 'outsiders' have the speed to trouble a Brazilian back line (Cooper has the physique, but neither the touch nor the quickness).

In short, BB has showed lackluster tactics and player selection, but the reality is that we do not have the bodies. The fact that we are still riding Hejduk and Mastroeni into the dirt is evidence that while we have lots of DECENT/GOOD players, we have very few, if none, EXCEPTIONAL players. Certainly no one world class.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | June 18, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

realness1...beasley?! WTF??? o_O

do you want to usa to fail? are you egyptian?

Posted by: dfunkt | June 18, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I know why Tommy and Derek don't do the USA games. They would candidly rip the Americans and their lack of passion. Plus, their knowledge of international soccer far exceeds the other ESPN talking heads.

Can you imagine JD and Harkes stumbling all over an international broadcast, showing their ignorance of La Liga and Serie A and all things futbol?

Posted by: Cerealman | June 18, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Realness, I like everything except Beasley in that lineup. I'd probably go with Torres or Clark out there. But I especially like the Feilhaber, Adu, and Altidore triangle up front.

Posted by: psps23 | June 18, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

We all know they'll leave Bradley where he stands . . but someone needs to step in as asst with some real international coaching experience.

At the very least, a guy like Nowak, who guided many of these same players through the Olympics (at least we played well!) can lend a hand---if he's not to busy in Philly. These players need a kick in the arse.

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@ErickSp8: well, i might be willing to accept that reasoning if bradley had actually tried out some other players! instead, he keeps trotting out beasley and klejstan, but won't play adu, who clearly has the talent (i don't give a crap if he doesn't defend, i don't want him defending, i want him running at people with the ball!). you can't say we don't have the bodies when you keep playing the same people and they keep sucking. all that means is that those players can't cut it.

Posted by: dfunkt | June 18, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

IMO, Tommy Smythe is one of the worst analysts on air. I can't stand some of the baffling comments he makes. The only reason he still has a job is because he has an accent and ESPN doesn't know any better. The only worse analyst is Marcelo Balboa.

Harkes is actually very knowledgable about the game. A majority of his anlayses are on point, and if they aren't, it's generally just a difference in philosophy. JP isn't knowledgeable, but I guess that's expected with a broadcaster. They're still too soft on criticisms, but it's at least nice to hear somebody actually speak intelligently on the game.

Posted by: psps23 | June 18, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"i might be willing to accept that reasoning if bradley had actually tried out some other players! instead, he keeps trotting out beasley and klejstan,""

Exactly. As abysmal as some of these players have been, we keep seeing them get time.

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I guess my memories of Beasley are when he played in the Dutch league and 2002 cup on the LW; not the inside left he was forced into in 2006 in our vaunted, untried, and unproven 4-5-1. His problem is in the legs and or brain. The brain is fixable, potentially.

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Harkes knows the game, but his monotone voice and constant reference to "back in my day" gets annoying.

I can't imagine listening to him at a World Cup final . . .

Posted by: delantero | June 18, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"constant reference to "back in my day" gets annoying."

I have to admit, this does get to me. But I'll take it over hearing guys that make me feel like they're dumbing down the collective intelligence of the soccer viewing public.

Posted by: psps23 | June 18, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Carrying over form the Brazil thread:

Here's an idea: Naturalize Gomito.

I'm serious. As far as I can tell (if someone knows different, please speak up), Gomez has never worn the Argentina national jersey, at any level. He could adopt USA citizenship and play for us. The CAM we're missing. If he came on board, I bet he scores a free kick goal at the World Cup.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Delantero, how about Dave O'Brien and Harkes as a team? That would do wonders for Spanish language broadcasts :-)

Posted by: popoki08 | June 18, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Sunuvagun! Now, Egypt's beating the USA 1-0??

We can't catch a break. On the other hand, we're playing much closer, now that we're not actually playing.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Egypt 1 Italy 0

5:25 stoppage

Posted by: sitruc | June 18, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

So how many goals would we have to beat Egypt by, in order to advance?

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

dfunkt -

I understand your point. I like Freddy, too, but can't imagine he could go at the Brazil senior side like he did their U-20s.

That being said, Bradley has trotted out lots of new guys. He does get some credit there for being unlike Arena. If they replace Bradley, his true service/legacy is doing the dirty work of sorting out the men from the boys.

Just in 2009, Bradley has rostered over 43 players...not counting the numerous others that came into camp, but did not put on a shirt.

He has shown the willingness to bring in guys and give them a run. Now, of course, we will debate the wisdom of selecting certain guys and particular times and positions, but we can't knock him for ignoring some hidden wellspring of talent - there is none to be had.

We have tons of decent players, but no one that game break out or change the complexion of a game. Landon can only do it against CONCACAF opposition. Freddy has only shown himself to be so against youth or olympic-age sides.

We have guys that are really talented by U.S. standards, but on the international stage, they are mediocre, which is why they have trouble getting minutes at club level. We can be apologist and lay all the blame on the managers, but that can't be the case for so many guys. The common denominator is unlikely to be managerial favortism (witness Convey's excuses that Reading would not let him play, that their docs kept saying he was unti). Managers want to win and will field their best or most consistent 18.

Freddy is unique here in the States, but at Benfica, Monaco, etc. he is one of many 'Freddys'...at Benfica he is training against the likes of Pablo Aimar, Nuno Gomes, and Jose Antonio Reyes. Any of them would be the best player on the USMNT.

We don't have the technical speed and the ability to make game-speed decisions and adjustments to compete at the world level. USSF knows that. They even preach in their coaching courses. It is no secret.

At least now, we are fielding essentially homegrown national teams, whereas little more than a decade ago (1994/1998), we were quite dependent on foreign-born players with US residency (Dooley, Stewart, Regis, Llamosa).

The problem is that our best outfield players rarely rate above 'squad player' in most European leagues. Even Hiddink couldn't change that. He did very well with Australia, but the Socceroos have more players playing abroad and, I daresay, have a better domestic league.

Playing in CONCACAF, is miserable tournaments (Gold Cup), against miserable opponents (take your pick), does not prepare already-technically-deficient players to succeed against world-class opposition.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | June 18, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

If my math is right -- the USA would have to win by 3 goals.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@Realness -- Beasley was a better and much quicker player then -- before his knee injuries took their toll, along with the lack of playing time. It happens. I've got my fingers crossed that Edu can regain his pre-injury form. Also hoping that Charles Renken is young enough that he can still progress along the track he was on.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The US's best chance to play good competition and improve is to bring our best to Copa America every chance two years. If we finished top three there, all would be encouraged.

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Why does everyone concern themselves with the talking heads? Frankly, I'm just happy that soccer gets more air time in this country now than it ever has. Who cares about the broadcasters.

Posted by: blackandred777 | June 18, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

If my math is right -- the USA would have to win by 3 goals.

Posted by: fischy

We're -5 right now.

Egypt is even.

Italy is +1.

We'd have to win by at least 3 (to put ourselves ahead of Egypt), and Italy would have to lose by 3 (to put them at -2).

What's the next tie-breaker? Goals forward or against? Is there a limit to +/- on a game? Do tiebreakers eventually go to red cards accumulated?

YES WE CAN!

Posted by: psps23 | June 18, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

every two years. if we win it, a world cup trophy is not far off.

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

all this talk of egyptians makes me think of the bangles

Posted by: OWNTF | June 18, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The USMNT should have played their best side at Copa America last go 'round. But thanks to He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, the Dark Lord Sunil Gulati, Bradley had orders to focus on Gold Cup.

The logic is/was tragically flawed. Focus on Gold Cup, to detriment of Copa America, in order to assure qualification for Confederations Cup.

Come 2009, we get blasted out of the Confederations Cup and - because we treated the Copa America with disrepect, sending a 'C' side - we were not invited to the next Copa.

End result - dismal Copa America, followed by dismal Confederations Cup.

The best tournament in the world, outside of the World Cup and European Championships is the Copa America. That SHOULD be the best preparation for getting our guys battle-hardened for the likes of the European heavyweights.

Thanks, Darth Sunil.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | June 18, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Those 2 garbage goals ath the end of each game are really hurting us now.

Mathematically possible, highly improbable.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | June 18, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

ErickSp8-
If we suck in Confed Cup and go three and out with a -6 GD, we probably still would have sucked at Copa and done only mildly better than we did even if we'd sent the top side. Sure, they probably wouldn't have invited Japan in our stead for Copa '11, but it's not like the team isn't getting anything out of being shellacked by BRA and ITA.

Then again... With BB in charge maybe they aren't? Maybe he can't?

Posted by: mason08 | June 18, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Realness-

COMNEBOL only play Copa every four years - in the year after the FIFA WC.

Gold Cup is played every two to give the "CACA" portions of CONCACAF matches in between cycles. They have play-in tournaments.

Posted by: mason08 | June 18, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Shoot... That should be "'CAC' portions of 'CONCACAF'".

Central American and Caribbean.

Posted by: mason08 | June 18, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

we're gonna get killed by egypt and because we aren't technically eliminated bradley is gonna put out the same crap line up again.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 18, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I say two seasons before the league folds.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 18, 2009 1:27 PM

======

Average WPS attendance before the Wednesday night games was 5,389, so they're meeting expectations.

Word is that the next Freedom home game - the only one this season with Marta - is just about sold out.

Posted by: kevinwparker | June 18, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

- The US team needs some heart. We need a coach who can inspire this team so they don't play sluggish, lethargic soccer.
- Beasley should not be playing for the national team.
- We need to put some new blood on the national team. I'm thinking Tino, Chris Rolfe and/or Davy Arnaud.
- Dempsey needs to ride the pine for a while to send him the message that he still needs to work for his spot. He is not an automatic starter.
- This team needs Frankie Hejduk
- Possible coaching replacements for Bradley: Sigi Shmid, Bora Milutinović, Dominic Kinnear?
- I think Altidore needs some help up front. I wonder how he would play with Cooper.

Posted by: GoUnited | June 18, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

whenever it is we need to be in the mix

Posted by: Realness1 | June 18, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Goff,

Onyewu 4 - what gives?

I am not quite sure what you have against Gooch, you continually rate him as tied for the lowest defender rating but he rarely is.

Against Italy, Lippi HIMSELF said that Gooch was giving them fits all night, against Honduras he shut Carlos Costly out of the game. (the goal was scored on a Dempsey mistake, so we can't look at him for that) and he had a decent game today policing the headers into the box.

its unlike you to carry a grudge but it seems you have never been an Onyewu fan, in fact a hater it appears

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | June 18, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

bradley needs to go

kljstan sucks
beasley awful
dempsey not good
bornstein too slow too weak too unskilled

complete and absolute embarrassament

Posted by: castroviejo | June 18, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

If my math is right -- the USA would have to win by 3 goals.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 4:28 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
First tiebreaker is goal differential. After today's matches US is minus 5, Italy is +1, and Egypt is 0.
1. If Italy beat Brazil, US is eliminated regardless. this would be an interesting situation as Egypt will need to win by a margin large enough to overcome Italy's goal differential.
2. If Italy loses to Brazil say 1-0, they will still likely have a better goal differential than the US, unless we beat Egypt by five goals. Chance of advancing for the US is remote (but you never know).

Posted by: agoldhammer | June 18, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Naturalize Christian Gomez? Wouldn't it be a bit embarrasing to have your national team AM speaking to an American audience through an interpreter?

Posted by: b18bolo | June 18, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

How long before Pontius (and the other young stars of MLS) get a shot? Unfortunately i do not see that happening until Bradley is gone for good.

Posted by: abgcunited11 | June 18, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

A new poll is up over at MLS Daily asking whether or not Bob Bradley should be fired now. Go have your say!

Posted by: eubh223 | June 18, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

we suck...but i guess really were not that far off from being medeocre...

if we could stop taking the lazy mental penalties and mistakes...hello red cards...

we need some finish...as we say in hockey...all swedish and no finnish!!!

we could still be in this thing...coulda gotta result against italy and lost a closer game to brazil if we cut out the red cards and find some finish...

Posted by: deadskin | June 18, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

We seem to always be looking for talent, skill and speed but what about some passion and bite?
Give me these kind of guys any day:
Rico Clark
Brian Mullen
Pablo Mastro
Clarence Goodson
Charlie Davies
Jay Heaps
Eddie Robinson
Kenny Cooper
Frankie Hejduk
Jeff Larentowicz

Posted by: euroman | June 18, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to be optimistic. I'm gonna have five of those goal-scoring draughts ready to drink on Sunday.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@abgcunited -- I suspect Pontius' emergence has come a bit late for inclusion on the Gold Cup squad, but he is definitely one who should be invited to future USA camps. He could be next Donovan -- still searching for his position. I would be stunned if got serious consideration for the roster in the next year, but after the World Cup, he might get regular duty.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I also think that Quaranta would be doing no worse than Kljestan....

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Is there something wrong with Beasley? He is playing the way Quaranta played when he had a substance problem. His brother was a raging alcoholic who is lucky to be playing indoor soccer. He we from being a blazing fast terror to a waste of good carbon. Either that or he's got some undiagnosed disease.

Posted by: bdwooton | June 18, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

What is particularly disheartening is that no major sports media outlets and columnists care enough to be calling for Bradley's head.

Where is the Italian or Mexican press when we need it?

Posted by: seahawkdad | June 18, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Euroman-
Jay HeAps on the usmnt? Plz no.

Posted by: pigmansweet | June 18, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

if we are going to be nationalizing people for the squad, i would cast my vote for yura movsisyan. he has got great speed, ball skills, and an excellent shot. i have never seen him be tentative to take it to the defenders. christian gomez is old. sorry, but i didn't even want to see him back in dc.

here are just a few mls guys i would like to see in next camp: robbie rodgers, clint mathis, brad davis, kenny cooper, davy arnaud. i also still think rico can do the job, he just needs his carelessness reigned in.

why can't we get a coach who will get us playing total football??? (this video makes me cry...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF_kvs6tkpk

Posted by: dfunkt | June 18, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Howard
spector
demerit
altidore

Why at all?
Casey

***** and they are use to crappy mls refs who let stuff like that go and then call phantom reds.

-Beasley might not even start in an MLS 11 anymore.
-Conor Casey looked as if he didn't even want to be out there.
-Could write a whole essay on Dempsey so I just won't comment on him.
-Why is Bob Bradley so worried about defensive shape all the time?

this was very insightfull.

note i changed bornstein to cant play and clark to im not sure.

i thought clark played well against honduras.
and i typically dont like him

this was disgraceful today.

first goal. howard should come out on. its inside the six yard box.

come out hard and punch it out.

second goal. kljestan and dmb are jogging down field on d. spector is running full speed.

casey jogging the whole game.

howard has not had a good 3/4 games.

10 goals in 4 games.

Posted by: castroviejo | June 18, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

@dfunkt -- Movsisyan is, in fact, in the process of obtaining residency for citizenship. Not likely he'll get it before the World Cup. It's a 4 yr process.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Superman didn't avert the Beasley crisis sooner. Take him to another planet, or at least find him a club team?
.... Wow. Even Superman can't do everything.

Feilhaber deserves to play, deserves the rating, deserves to start. As does Torres. With all other options taken off the table, Bob needs to reach for the right one. Though agree that Jozy doesn't run enough, taking him off castrated any chance of scoring. Sorry, Casey aint going to beat Brazil single handedly.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 19, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Not to make excuses -- because the team sucks and has sucked and Bradley Sr. has to go -- but that first goal was doubly wrong. First, there was no foul, so the kick should not have been awarded. Second, Luis Fabiano was off side. Take a look at the first replay shown on the Deuce. When the ball is kicked, Fabiano is already leaning behind Spector.

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 19, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

To add to Benny, no, not Great at defending, but had more chance of actually taking a ball from Brazil than Klejstan. And passes, and dribbles, and makes Dempsey play better.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 19, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

not that I AM a Fenty supporter, incidentally. How embarrassing -- it is like reaching 40 still sporting a dumb tattoo or body piercing acquired as a foolish teenager. How do I change my darn PostID?

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 19, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Long day/night -- just finished watching the US game...caught the Egypt-Italy score.

I called it :)

Posted by: Reignking | June 19, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

"We had a very nervous, tentative start to the game," U.S. Coach Bob Bradley said. "An early goal off a set piece really put us in a difficult situation right from the start." - Bob Bradley

So who sets the tone of the start of the game? That would be the coach. Bradley should not be fired. He should resign.

Posted by: lastort1 | June 19, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

If this thread is still alive, here's my comment on the comments:
I knew BB when he coached Princeton and he was mediocre and unimaginative (but you could say that he was learning).He followed Bruce Arena around and was a good assistant at various jobs (earlier and later). He had a brief good spell at Chicago, but was that him or his players (Novak
running the team on the field as player?). He got fired at NY and Chivas. Now I think that he has "lost" his team. The lack of
"heart" is b/c his foreign-based players have tuned him out--as happens in the NBA with a lot of coaches.
If you follow the int'l game as some of us do, you notice that even superstar coaches rarely stay more than a couple years b/c star players need to hear new voices after awhile.
BB was not first choice by Sunil; it is high time to let him go. The one year before WC is NO argument; other countries fire their managers all the time before
WC,etc.; the only criterion is results.After all, how did Bora M. get his jobs?(I don't recommend him eventhough he would get better results than BB).
The criticism is NOT for losing against top teams but looking horrible in the process. I think that BB lacks imagination both in player selection and tactics. If we want to hire "locally", I would prefer Preki who has done a lot with very little talent, or the Houston Dynamo approach. I would even prefer the NE team although British coaches rarely cut it internationally.
Eventhough we cannot compete with Brazil in talent, or with Italy in tactics, there is no reason to look so bad and so helpless.

Posted by: bechtoldpk | June 19, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

How do I change my darn PostID?
Posted by: fentysupporter |
================

Send an e-mail to Questions@washingtonpost.com

They may have to inactivate your account so that you can create a new PostID, like barrysupporter, or prattkellysupporter

Or you can sign out and create a new profile using a different e-mail.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 19, 2009 8:04 AM | Report abuse

I see this loss as a coaching problem.

Why start Beasley? He was clearly not good enough v Italy and showed the same against Brazil. This should be his last game.

Why two holding midfielders? I hate that we line up with essentially 6 defenders. Cowardly mindset. We do this alot even though I think we have midfielders who can allow us a more balanced approach (Donovan, Dempsey, Feilhaber, Torres, Adu)

Our control ability is poor. How many touches bounced high just to be stripped. How many times were we beaten to the ball. Brazil beat us with hard work as much as quality.

Bradley should go. Hiddink would be great.

Why no Adu? He has shown at U-20 level he can play with the best of them. We needed a midfielder who could hold the ball and make decent passes. Feilhaber is one, Adu is another. We had a third sub.

Posted by: RRP1 | June 19, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Dave Mosse has a tremendous article over at ESPN that looks at the US tactical shortcomings in this match against Brazil. As he points out, every team that has played Brazil this year (other than Kuwait and now the US) has exploited...
1. The weakness on the Brazilian left flank
2. Their tendency to give space to attackers, especiallly in central midfield.

And Brazil has over-relied on deadballs (3 of their goals against Egypt came on deadball situations, their first score against the US was on a restart). Granted, their good and their skilled but I will always remember a comment Bruce Arena made after DCU lost a road playoff match to Columbus and gave up 3 scores on deadballs: "That reflects bad coaching--that's on me."

I'm not quick to condemn a coach for a bad loss. We're probably going to lose to the top teams 15 times out of 16 games. But this Brasilian team is NOT a strong team and they're not an offensive juggernaut.

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 19, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

JoeW1: their 2nd score was also on a set play.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 19, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse