Tuesday Kickaround

*Clearly preparing for D.C. United this August at FedEx Field, Real Madrid continues to rebuild its roster. Kaka is in. Ronaldo? Ibrahimovic? Villa?

*Despite a 6-0-4 record, John Barnes is out as Jamaican national team manager and headed to Tranmere in England. Theordore Whitmore will oversee the Reggae Boyz in the Gold Cup next month.

*Looking ahead to Saturday's showdown at RFK Stadium, you should know that second-place United is 3-0-4 at home and the first-place Chicago Fire is 4-0-3 on the road.

*Former DCU defender Ryan Miller is attempting to line up a contract in Sweden, his rep tells the Insider. He has been training with Chicago.

*Juan Carlos Osorio is somehow still the coach of the Red Bulls. Then again, the club is run by some guy named Eric Stover, who has no direct soccer experience and whose expertise is operating inanimate objects (stadiums), which, in the Red Bulls' case, are largely empty. If only MLS had a respectable product in its biggest market.....

*Many of you have e-mailed me about World Cup qualifying viewing options on Wednesday. For the complete list, check out the continuation of this thread.....

Soccer on TV tomorrow:
Australia-Bahrain 6 a.m. FSC
Iran-UAE 10:30 a.m. FSC
Finland-Russia 1:30 p.m. FSC
Netherlands-Norway 2:40 p.m. GolTV
Ukraine-Kazakhstan 3 p.m. Setanta
South Korea-Saudi Arabia 3:30 p.m. FSC
Italy-New Zealand (friendly) 4:40 p.m. GolTV
Sweden-Malta 4:45 p.m. Setanta
Venezuela-Uruguay 9 p.m. ESPN Deportes
Mexico-T&T 9:30 p.m. Telemundo

Several other matches are available on closed circuit and pay-per-view.

By Steve Goff  |  June 9, 2009; 8:53 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS , Spain , Sweden , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Italy, Mexico, Algeria
Next: United News & Notes

Comments

Goff now that the Kaka deal is through any transfer rumors for US players? The three I can see going over this Summer are Cooper, Donovan and Twellman (might not now because of the injury).

Posted by: bighungry | June 9, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I forget what Malta's team nickname is? Falcons? Crusaders? Help me out...

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 9, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"If only MLS had a respectable product in its biggest market....." but doesn't the MLS and its goombas (Garber) have to be respectable too? It's a reflection of the league . . .

Posted by: LCR-54 | June 9, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

The Malta Shakes

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The Malta Balls

Posted by: Smitty8 | June 9, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Malta are the Knights of st john, of course.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 9, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The Malta Powders

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Just finished watching a replay of the Axis Of Evil Match ---- North Korea v Iran @ Pyongyang--- on FSC (0-0).

Eerrily quiet fans save for the occasional plays/forays into the 18. At least 5-6000 were sitting in a group on the far side and ALL of them were wearing a plain red shirt and white hat. They sat pleasantly and clapped when the play favored DPRK. No sign of Great Leader, though.

Posted by: delantero | June 9, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Iraq/Poland today in South Africa. A tuneup for the WC tuneup I suppose.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Malta Milks

Posted by: jbfromfc | June 9, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

With all due respect, doesnt DC United play in a stadium that is "Largely Empty"

RFK holds what..56K and DC United averages 14-15K? Sounds largely empty to me...

Poor on-field product aside, At least NYRB have a new stadium on the horizon.

Posted by: behindthegoal | June 9, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Here's an obit for a Division I All-American from the 1970s:

"Soccer wasn't a big spectator sport, but everybody came just to watch Randy."

Posted by: universityandpark | June 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The entire DPRK-Iran patch was a front for passing nuclear secrets between sides.

Malta cannot play through the midfield, they move the ball up the wing and send in some nice crosses.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Poor on-field product aside
Posted by: behindthegoal

We didn't agree to that.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I watched the PRK v Iran match also. I noticed the same thing. The red shirts and lack of excitement. It was very forced and awkward.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 9, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Soccer America points out that Schelotto, who is tied with Casey for the MLS lead in goals scored, is the only import among the top seven. That's interesting.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 9, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Malta Meals

The DPRK crowd was eerier to watch. I looked over at my wife while watching Saturday morning and said "North Korea really freaks me out." I can only imagine what it would be like to go there (and given the fate of those journalists, imagination is where it will stay).

MLS could certainly use a good product in the NYC metro area. As a Brooklyn resident, I will say that one big problem is the inaccessibility of the stadium if you don't live in NJ/have a car. I go to maybe 1 game per year as a result (and also because who wants to sit in a big, empty, turf stadium?). The new stadium helps solve the access issue since it's right on a train line from Manhattan. Though it will still take me an hour or so to get there, I will do so far more often. Now if MLS could somehow get another team that actually played in New York City.....

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 9, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Poor on-field product aside, At least NYRB have a new stadium on the horizon.

Posted by: behindthegoal | June 9, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

46K, I believe. It once held 56K.

That's great, they have a new stadium on the horizon. That one will be empty, as well.

Posted by: Hoost | June 9, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@behindthegoal: RFK may hold a maximum of 56K but it's never configured for that size during DC United matches. So you can't use that number.

Posted by: tundey | June 9, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Somewhat on topic Bad news/Good news

The bad news: is that Setanta is about to go bankrupt http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8090633.stm

The good news: after the withdrawal symptoms subside I'll be able to claim some of my life back.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 9, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Red Bull New York - the reverse Midas touch?

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | June 9, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Real Madrid are making a huge mistake.

Sure, Kaka, Ribery, and Ronaldo are all top class, top ten players in the world...

But Madrids problems really lie in their own half of the pitch.

Madrid needs another quality striker, and one superstar attacking midfielder won't go amiss,

but I still think United will score against this team. DC, that is. Gomez and Moreno have too much skill for Gago. If that sounds ridiculous, refer to their season. They need big time replacements for Cannavaro and the rest of their defense, and they need an engine room and at least one winger with defensive capabilities. When you blow all your money on three attackers, you are setting yourself to fail, not to mention financial lacerations.

Kaka, Ronaldo, Ribery, even Ibra will be tragically wasted on this team.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 9, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

ps. Villa would be a great move by either Barca or Madrid. Not so much the Premier league.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 9, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Several other matches are available on closed circuit and pay-per-view.

By Steve Goff | June 9, 2009; 8:53 AM ET

I can't wait for the day when the PPV qualifier nonsense is broken. Looks like it might be on the horizon, with Setanta about to go t*ts up.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 9, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Cannavaro has to go, right?

I guess we need to see who Real adds before we see who is "surplus to requirements". Of course, Real loves to collect as many players as possible.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Marca is "reporting" (so take that w/ a grain of salt) that they have agreed to acquire Villa for 37-38 mil euros.

List of players RM from Marca is interested in...that's a long list. Ah yes, Cannavaro is already gone.

Interesan...

* Albiol (Valencia)
* Villa (Valencia)
* Silva (Valencia)
* Mata (Valencia)
* Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United)
* Ribery (Bayern de Múnich)
* Maicon (Inter)
* Forlán (Atlético)
* Xabi Alonso (Liverpool)
* Bastos (Lille)
* Chivu (Inter)
* Marcano (Racing)
* Claudio Bravo (Real Sociedad)

Bajas

* Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus)
* Faubert* (West Ham United)
* Dudek

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

For Saturday's game vs. Chicago - would Bakary Soumare still be suspended due to a red card? He got it two weeks ago but played for his country of Mali last weekend. That would be big for DC if Soumare is not in the back and Conde is still hurt.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | June 9, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

clearly they are concerned about the match against us coming up in August. The subtitle of the article Goff linked to even says "Florentino Pérez wants to maintain 'good rapport' with United".

Posted by: joe_hill | June 9, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

hey Demon, you seem to have thought about this a while, but let's not forget that as much as we love our DCU, ain't nobody in MLS gonna stop Ribery's runs.

Posted by: troy6 | June 9, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

and nobody said "Malta Liquors"

Posted by: troy6 | June 9, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Bakary has served his suspension...

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Bighungry, I'm interested in knowing why you think Mr. Cakes will be leaving this summer....can you even name a team that has expressed interest in him?

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 9, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

i heard Real was closing in on a 27 million euro transfer for DeMarcus Beasley.

Posted by: gregegeg | June 9, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I never bought Setanta because it was too costly. I guess I'm not the only one. It would be interesting if ESPN picked up Setanta's package -- competing with FSC's own coverage of EPL and FA.

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Good one troy6. Maybe a way to revive the Colt 45s as sports team name.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 9, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I never subscribed to Setanta either. It didn't seem worth an extra $15/mo. I hope FSC or ESPN picks it up. There were a many matches I would have liked to see.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 9, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Anthony, Mali has another qualifier coming up June 21 so I think he's still over there. At least that's what Telefutura suggested in the last Chicago game they covered.

Mali vs Benin:

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 9, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Methinks Goff is a bit miffed about Stover brushing off his article about Osorio getting canned.

Are we going to have a daily dose of NYRB hate from Goff or is he going to maintain at least some semblance of impartiality?

Posted by: whoshotsam | June 9, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

$5 for GolTV though was a no-brainer.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

U & Park,

Some oldtimers remember the Bullets winning a big playoff series against Randy Smith and Bob McAdoo's Buffalo Braves in the 70s.

Didn't realize or remember he was a soccer player, too.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 9, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

From my Inbox:

Real Maryland has provided SAM Soccer an allotment of free tickets to their match TONIGHT in the U.S. Open Cup!

Time - 6:30pm

Location - Richard Montgomery H.S.

Opponent - Aegean Hawks FC

The Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup is an American soccer competition open to all United States Soccer Federation affiliated teams, from amateur adult club teams to the professional clubs of Major League Soccer. MLS teams enter the competition in Round 3.

If you would like tickets, please respond to this email with the following information:

* Name under which the tickets will be held
* How many tickets you would like (max 8)

Please note, you will have to pick these tickets up from the Discovery Sports Center prior to tonight's match.

info@samsoccer.org

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

A must read article questioning whether the USMNT has made any progress. I'm sorry to say I largely agree with it.

Posted by: KireDCU | June 9, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Kire: yeah, read that yesterday. I would've thought we would have a stud or two in Europe by now. The best we have is Dempsey and our keepers.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

zxto BIGHUNGRY- doubtful that landon or taylor are going anywhere. cooper failed to leave last year. He may go this year

Posted by: g3impreza | June 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't Landon surviving in Europe. He gets pushed off the ball too easily. It was apparent to Bayern and thats not even the most physical league. In MLS, he's protected by the refs, but he'll get 0 calls anywhere else in the world. Cooper would do well, but they don't want to get rid of him. The American player I see being able to do something outside MLS is Pontius. He's strong on the ball, creative and makes smart runs. It is a good start for him. He's not ready yet, but I see his game going very well abroad.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 9, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

Poor on-field product aside, At least NYRB have a new stadium on the horizon.

Posted by: behindthegoal | June 9, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

I reported this as abuse, for lacking a sense of humor, and it was bounced back to me as to funny...

Posted by: Barracudas | June 9, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

@SonicDeathMonkey I don't know of anyone that is linked to Donovan, but if he performs well in either or both of the tournements this year he will go. He has done well in LA, he did ok in Germany and he is our best player on the national team. I know everyone hates him, and I used to as well, but he is the only player we have with speed and skill on the ball. He can score, pass and take set pieces (though I think he is better on corner and penalties than free kicks). I don't think he is a good leader or a pure striker which makes him tough to place, but his pros outweigh his cons. I can see him going to the Premier League club that isn't in European competition. About his size and getting pushed off the ball I think his footwork and speed make up for that.

It's wishful thinking because I think our national team needs its best player to play at a higher level of competition. It depends on LA's asking price of course. If they try to hold onto their remaining star he won't go anywhere.

Posted by: bighungry | June 9, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Edu, Bradley, Altidore and Spector are a young batch of quality field players. Last World Cup cycle we didn't have Clubs from around the World showing up at US Collegiate Career days either.

Posted by: csd1 | June 9, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I can see why Dallas wants to hang on to Cooper. He's putting a lot of fannies in seats at Pizza Hut Park. On the other hand, he makes them a decent team. Without him, they're even worse than New York.

I doubt Donovan goes anywhere this year, though I doubt he signs more than a year extension (or a deal with an opt-out). After the World Cup? His options will depend on his performance.

Posted by: fischy | June 9, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: csd1

Edu has just caught on, Bradley had a monster season in a 2nd-tier league last season and was almost relegated, Jozy is a project, and Spector has had injury problems. None of these guys are players you have to be scared of. I really thought we would have some right now.

And although some defenders are playing very well, they are at clubs like Rennes and Liege.

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Dempsey and Howard should go to Europe :-)

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 9, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Edu plays in a 3rd-tier league :)

Posted by: Reignking | June 9, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead and look at the transfer values of the roster from 06' and look at the value of the squad we will most likely take in 10'. Yes we do not have any international super star field players yet but the cumulative product in the US is improving. There will be large clubs looking at our players at the Confederations Cup and our players are continuing to achieve things they haven't in the past.

Posted by: csd1 | June 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Since someone asked, not because I don't think this guy is a despot in the purest sense, the Emperor Kim Jong Il, Great Leader, son of Kim il Sung, Dear Leader

Posted by: delantero | June 9, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Last time I checked, the New York/New Jersey Metro area was one of the largest Metropolitan areas in the World.

So how is it that they draw significantly fewer numbers than the DC Metro area, which has a population the size of one NYC borough.

Posted by: alecw81 | June 9, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse