Tuesday Kickaround

I will be aboard a 757-200 much of the day, en route to Seattle for tomorrow night's D.C. United match at Qwest Field.

While I am at 39,000 feet, you should know that.....

*Most of United's roster made the trip west for the matches against the Sounders and the Colorado Rapids on Saturday. "It's a long road trip, and this way we keep everyone together and training is still a big part of it," said Coach Tom Soehn , who will keep the team in Seattle an extra day before traveling to high-altitude Denver on Friday. "We'll have the ability to check different options and assess guys after Wednesday's game."

Soehn, on playing at raucous Qwest Field: "Some might think it's hard; I actually think it's fun for our team, who has been in a lot of competitions in an environment that brings out the best in you."

*The Confederations Cup in South Africa takes a break after the five-goal performance by Spain, the four-goal effort by Brazil and the three-strike production by Italy. With little doubt that the Spaniards will finish atop their group, Italy and Brazil would prefer to avoid second place in their gathering and an unenviable semifinal meeting against the European champions next week. At the moment, Italy's goal difference (+2) trumps Brazil's and positions the Azzurri to play Iraq, South Africa or New Zealand in the next round. Of course, Brazil and Italy still must play each other this weekend. And the Americans might have a say in things. Matches resume Wednesday with Spain crushing facing Iraq (10 a.m. ET, ESPN2) and South Africa hosting New Zealand (2:30, ESPN2).

For a USA-Italy historical review as well as U.S. Open Cup information, jump to the continuation of this thread.....

*The USA has never beaten Italy in seven meetings (0-4-3) and scored just four goals: by Aldo "Buff" Donelli during a 7-1 loss at the 1934 World Cup in Rome, by John Harkes in a 1-1 draw in 1992 in Chicago, an own goal at the 2006 World Cup and Landon Donovan's penalty kick yesterday. Three days before scoring against the Azzurri, Donelli had four goals vs. Mexico. Those were his only two USA appearances. He later became a player and a coach in the NFL and guided Columbia University to its only Ivy League football title (1961).

*The second round of the U.S. Open Cup takes place tonight with eight matches in places such as the South Jersey Shore and Sonoma County in California. For the complete schedule, click here. Tonight's survivors will be paired with MLS clubs in the round of 16 in two weeks. If you would like to attend USL2's Real Maryland game at PDL Ocean City (N.J.) Barons in a seaside resort town, the Rockville-based team is offering a bus ride for $20, which include a match ticket. The journey commences at 2 p.m. from the Crowne Plaza hotel. For more information, call 301-933-6460.

What else is on your mind?

By Steve Goff  |  June 16, 2009; 7:56 AM ET
Categories:  Confederations Cup , D.C. United , History , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Italy 3, USA 1
Next: USA World Bid Venues

Comments

hey now - $20 to see the only field with a Ferris Wheel sounds pretty tempting

Posted by: Pedalada | June 16, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

What are the chances we can get a petition big enough to get the Barons' stadium into Fifa 2011?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 16, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

No, you had it right. Iraq is going to get crushed.

It's so freaking obvious that that group was designed for South Africa to survive.

For me, I'm just hoping that third time's the charm with group selections for the US. Although,paradoxically, we had to play well in this tournament to make that happen.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 16, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"What else is on your mind?'

This article in today's paper:

DC debating whether to finance a $750 million hotel that nobody seems in a hurry to build but unwilling to consider a fraction of that for a stadium that people want.

That's what else is on my mind.

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 16, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Have fun in Emerald City Steve! I hear the weather has been fantastic lately. If you haven't been, pay Uwajimaya a visit while your in the neighborhood. You can pick up all kine sushi and sashimi in their fish department, and if you're feeling like hot food they've got that too. The bookstore is also a lot of fun.
if you want to eat at a 100 year old japanese restaurant try Maneki.
Hands down my favorite sushi place of all time! Also very close to Qwest field in the International District.

If you're more of a Pinball, PBR, and hot dogs type of guy Shorty's is the spot in Bell Town. They had an awesome mid-day happy hour that yielded $1 PBR's! The prices may have gone up a tad, but if you wanna play some old school pinball, or sit outside and enjoy a little rock and roll people watching you'll be in luck.

Vamos United!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure we've all been waiting for a random enough thread to review the year to date MLS Fantasy Argy Bargy League standings:

Rank Team Total Points
1. Buckingham Bombers 1557
2. A Wing and A Prayer 1480
3. JkR- United 1413
4. jermWV 1364
5. Team reignking 1248
6. Just For Kicks 1236
7. go dips! 1177
8. Barra Brava FC 1018
9. Sin City FC 723
10. Annandale United 0

Annandale United looking for a strong second half push. As with MLS proper, they are only 2 weeks away from being in third place and qualifying for the playoffs.

Here's to hoping that Buckingham Bombers gets gainful employment and takes his eye off the ball....

Posted by: JkR- | June 16, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

>Italy and Brazil would prefer to avoid second place in their gathering and an unenviable semifinal meeting against the European champions next week.

Italy will lose to Egypt...from what I saw yesterday.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

@JkR-: No retreat! No surrender!;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Watch out for the fish.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

And, to the dude picking up his child from Kindercare: Sorry to spoil your evening with the DVR. I'll keep my mouth shut if I see you on Thursday. But dude, dude! Your replica is a conversation piece, and yesterday's topic of conversation was the match.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

@Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 10:16 AM |

Nothing worse than a 'Spoiler' dweeb. Shun them...

Posted by: JkR- | June 16, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Goff, next time fly Virgin America. Wifi at 39,000 ft! Then again, you do need some time to yourself once and a while.

Posted by: EssEff | June 16, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Here's a painful fantasy tip. DC United and the Sounders play twice this week, while Chivas, Chicago, New England, KC don't play at all.
I'm hoping Emilio lights up Seattle tomorrow night!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Watchin' them planes
I wish I was on one
I'm sittin' here thinkin' 'bout my red head dream
If I could only see her tonight

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan: good luck fielding a full team. I'm a man short.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Toronto doesn't play, either.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The match report in today's Post used the word "spurned" to describe Rossi's interest in playing for the USMNT. AP wire, of course. Steve would have written "shunned."

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm hoping Emilio lights up Seattle tomorrow night!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2009 10:56 AM |

Toronto doesn't play, either.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2009 11:07 AM |
---------------------------------------------

I've been wondering about this silliness. Glad ya'll posted to remind me. I realize there's an odd number of teams, so they can't all play on the weekend, but last week Chivas and Houston played twice, while Colorado didn't play at all. It's even weirder this week, but that's because of the SuperLiga. What I don't get is why DCU and Seattle are playing twice, when Toronto doesn't play at ll -- or why Colorado was off last week.

What's the logic? Do they think one of the Wed./Thrus. night teams would have an advantage if the team was only playing one game, while the other was playing twice? Instead, both teams are at an equal disadvantage? Except that they are equally at a disadvantage for their weekend games against teams that are only playing once. So, instead of just giving one team this disadvantage each week, they give it to both? And give another team the week off? This makes sense to someone?

Posted by: fischy | June 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Well -- spurning is a one-time thing. Shunning can provide years of fun.

Posted by: fischy | June 16, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Also keep in mind while DC plays twice this week, both games are on the road, PLUS they are off next week.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 16, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"Spurning" is for the Ives blog.

"Shunning" is for the Insiders...

Posted by: JkR- | June 16, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

SuperLiga starts this week? Who knew? Who cares?

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

amen, Reignking.

Posted by: dcufan | June 16, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

---------Wicks---------
Namoff--Jakovic--Burch
-----Simms---Olsen-----
Quaranta--------Wallace
---------Gomez---------
----Pontius--Emilio----

If Olsen can't go then slide Wallace back to DM, Pontius to LM and put in Boyzzz up top

Posted by: GoUnited | June 16, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

---Wicks---
Namoff--Jakovic--John
---Simms-Wallace--
Quaranta---Boyzzz
----Gomez---
---Pontius---Emilio

Fred is 60 minute Sub for Gomez
Burch 63 minute sub for John
Barklage on for Boyzz in 80 (standing o for Boyzzz' hattrick)

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | June 16, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Fischy,

Toronto is playing Montreal in the Nutrilite Classic Thursday. I thought everyone had it on their calendar.

Winner gets a case of Nutria flavored beverage.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 16, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Having a hard day today, folks. I could use some Insider encouragement/humor...

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 16, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 16, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Oops almost forgot Toronto... I shun their players anyway.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 16, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@ Joe Doc:

Encouragement

Humor

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Gomez in your starting lineups?

Gomez went 85 minutes on Saturday.

He's only starting if you don't mind a lackluster performance that lasts only 45 minutes. Save him, and try to make sure he's got some real venom in him for punishing Colorado on the weekend.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | June 16, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

According to...was it Christopher Sullivan? FSC?...Gomez should be playing 90 every game.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Watchin' them planes
I wish I was on one
I'm sittin' here thinkin' 'bout my red head dream
If I could only see her tonight

Posted by: OWNTF

RIP Lowell George

Have a good trip, Steve.

Posted by: KireDCU | June 16, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

So, I get FSC and GolTV for 5/month right now on Comcast. Comcast is too expensive, so I'm looking at DirecTV and Dish.

Can you get those two channels on those? Does it cost you an arm and a leg? It look like DirecTV only has them on their highest tier.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@joedoc courtesy of skynyrd

Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say.
And if you do this
It will help you some sunny day.
Take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
Go find a woman and you'll find love,
And don't forget son,
There is someone up above

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@reignking

DirecTv offer both FSC and GOL in the "Sportspack" which is a $13 per month offering.

Setanta is a separate $15 per month. No idea what's going to happen with that.

Posted by: JkR- | June 16, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

So you're looking for a humor stimulus, joedoc?? No problem. At least that won't make our taxes go up.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 16, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

WPS article with good info on Freedom, Krieger, Alex Singer . . . . guess the WPS site is where it's gonna be at for Freedom/WPS coverage, because it's not the Washington Post . . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | June 16, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks JkR. Good to know it can just be added on.

Looks like dish doesn't have GolTV.

Posted by: Reignking | June 16, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the humor bit I-270.

Reminds me -- this weekend, the kids' team goalie got called for a handball when his momentum carried him and the ball out of the box, after he'd picked up a loose ball. I explained to him that he should let go of the ball, if he sees himself falling over the line. I guess I also need to show him that Roy Carroll highlight to illustrate the flip-side danger.

I thought this clip was even funnier.

Don't miss the bit that starts before the 2:40 mark.

Posted by: fischy | June 16, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

There was a moment is Saturday's DCU that could be added in there. A United player (not sure who it was) started to take a corner and fell down. He recovered to take it successfully, though.

Posted by: fischy | June 16, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Skynyrd, Hatchet... my day is looking much better, fellas. Thanks!

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 16, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The winner of the Nutralite Classic gets a Nutria-flavored beverage? A Nutria is a large, semi-aquatic rodent. A Nutria flavored beverage would make Red Bull taste like Chateau Lafitte!

Posted by: b18bolo | June 16, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Skynyrd, Hatchet...Coltrane, Costello. Right. Left. There really are 2 Americas.

Posted by: fischy | June 16, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

It's disgraceful how the groups have been set up. Group A is a farce with one semifinal certain to be a complete mismatch. Either Brazil or USA should have been in Group A with NZL or IRQ going to Group B. This is par on course for any tournament though..giving the host team an obvious advantage. Let me guess, NZL/Asia 5th will be in South Africas' group next year? Not a stretch. In the end though, this gives the USA the most difficult opposition to face this year in a group setting which should help us in the World Cup next year...lets face it, no group...not even a group of death...will have 2 seeded teams like this group we are in. Wins/medals/trophies are nice this year but it is all about 2010.

Posted by: LAfanofSI | June 16, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy
==================

One America: It all started with the Blues.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Joedoc as I recall from a couple of weeks ago, you'd like to have a beer with Gordon Lightfoot.

Rainy day people always seem to know
when it's time to call
Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen
till they've heard it all
Rainy day lovers don't lie when they tell 'ya
they've been down like you
Rainy day people don't mind if you're cryin'
a tear or two

If you get lonely, all you really need
is that rainy day love
Rainy day people all know there's no sorrow
they can't rise above
Rainy day lovers don't love any others
that would not be kind
Rainy day people all know how it hangs
on a piece of mind

From your Rainy Day friends at SI

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 16, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@b18bolo: I wish you hadn't told me. I had NutriaGrain waffles for breakfast.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

If you're feeling cold and small, how about some Bonnie Raitt (Rainy Day Man)?

Posted by: fischy | June 16, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know the lyrics for Guthrie's Seattle to Chhicago? They would seem appropriate for United this week.

Posted by: Curious99 | June 16, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

270:

You're in the right on the spoilers matter. You wear the jersey out, you're taking the risk (just like going onto a soccer website, turning on a sports channel, etc). And I'm saying this as a person who tries very hard to avoid spoilers. I've always felt that it's my responsibility, rather than the other way around.

C_A_Metzler:

Using Gomez is indeed going to be tricky. He'll be tired in Seattle, but his lack of fitness was a disaster at altitude no matter how much rest he was on. It seems equally likely to me that he'll be too tired for tomorrow, but unable to do much in the thin air in Commerce City. I'd almost be inclined to use him as a super sub in both games. It seems like a poor way to reward his recent boost in quality, but you can't risk playing him in situations where he won't be able to muster up the goods. This might be the single toughest player management situation Soehn has encountered this season.

Reignking:

It was indeed Sullivan. You've got to remember, though, that Sullivan wears his feelings for style of play on his sleeve. He'll always choose the skillful player over the hard worker, and he'll always go for one more goal instead of pulling back to defend. In this particular case, it's not really worth the gamble when we've got other players who can make goals. Sure, they won't be as stylish, but we're not Barcelona over here; road wins for us are beautiful even when they're ugly.

joedoc:

I've always thought this was funny, though it might make me cruel:

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 16, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Chest,

you should be able to spot that video clip as a fake.

First of all no pro player could POSSIBLY miss 3 straight penalty kicks. Secondly, the player the announcers describe as "Calero" has a full head of dark hair!

That "Palermo" guy must be some sort of South American comedian who does a standup routine for halftime shows or something...

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 16, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a couple of years old, but it's pretty damned funny and maybe some haven't seen it.

Tie in to soccer? Maybe this is what its like playing for the NY Red Bulls...

Posted by: KireDCU | June 16, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Fake video clip? Maybe not

Columbia used the Hack-a-Shaq defense.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 16, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse