Tuesday Kickaround

*Following up on reports that Olympiakos has taken interest in USA forward Jozy Altidore, the Insider has learned that the Greek club has, indeed, stepped forward for a possible loan arrangement with Villarreal. An English club (reportedly Fulham) and multiple La Liga teams are also in the mix for a loan. Discussions between Altidore's reps and the clubs have commenced and a decision is expected in the coming weeks.

*FIFA bossman Sepp Blatter assesses South Africa's Confederations Cup organization -- his grade is a 7.5 -- and expresses concern about some areas of World Cup preparations.

*Despite two red cards in the second half, Real Maryland held on for a 1-0 USL2 victory at Crystal Palace Baltimore last night. Cecil Lewis, a former CPB player, scored for Real (6-6-0) in the 55th minute. There were nine yellow cards, and ejections for Tom Taylor in the 66th and former DCU prospect Ryan Cordeiro in the 79th. Palace is 5-6-3.

*U.S. Open Cup round of 16 today:
Ocean City (PDL) at D.C. United, 7:30 (Md. SoccerPlex)
Harrisburg (USL2) at New England, 7 (New Britain, Conn.)
Chicago at Wilmington (USL2), 7
Chivas USA at Charleston (USL1), 7:30
Columbus at Rochester (USL1), 7
Kansas City at Minnesota (USL1), 8:30
Houston at Austin (USL1), 8:30
Seattle at Portland (USL1), 10

With so many MLS teams on the road, there are bound to be a few upsets. Who do you think is in danger of early elimination? For a comprehensive look at all the matchups, click here. I will have much more on the DCU-Ocean City game on the Insider later this morning.

By Steve Goff  |  June 30, 2009; 9:09 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , Confederations Cup , D.C. United , MLS , U.S. Open Cup , U.S. men's national team , USL
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Castillo for USA?
Next: ESPN's USA-Brazil Numbers (continued)

Comments

Bilbao apparently want Llorente, now, from Villarreal -- along with Rossi, it is going to take some time to figure out how this all shakes out.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Great. Marca has now picked up the story on Jozy allegedly saying that he doesn't want to return to Villarreal -- I'm 99% that was a misquote about Xerez.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Chivas and New England go down. I totally want to see the Seattle/Portland game. Better yet, I'd love to BE there.

Posted by: jleppig | June 30, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Good for Jozy. He was bound to get significant interest. At this point, he needs 2 things from his prospective club:

(1) Obviously, a club that will get him minutes. I wouldn't mind him being a consistent reserve off the bench, so long as he isn't completely floundering. But he needs high-level, on field experience.

(2) A team that will hold him accountable. One thing he cannot do is go to a weak club that will simply hand out minutes because he's so talented. We've pinpointed his two clear weaknesses so far, one being the cleanliness of his technique, the other being his work rate. He needs a team that will hold him to high standards in terms of never giving up on plays. I couldn't tell if it was his fitness or simply his attitude, but I got a suspicion of a growing sense of entitlement for Jozy towards the end of the tournament, and that simply can't happen. That could single-handedly derail his career. Whether or not he's the most talented player on the roster, he needs to get it in his mind that he has to work that much harder to stay there.

That said, both of the specific clubs mentioned seem to be able to encompass those qualities. If the patterns of La Liga hold true, depending on the club, the unnamed clubs would also seem to follow suit. This is a good thing for Jozy, so long as he doesn't let it get to his head.

Posted by: psps23 | June 30, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Blatter believes South Africa is capable of a 8/10. Nice.

Posted by: sitruc | June 30, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Charleston, Rochester, and Harrisburg are most likely to go through from the USL teams

Posted by: TassieTiger | June 30, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"Organizers are still 15,000 hotel rooms short of their target and could accept offers on lodging from neighboring countries."

Oh, that sounds like fun. Commuting from another country, or camping in the winter, to get to the game.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

My thoughts on the Real Maryland-Crystal Palace game:

1) RM had our number--again.

2) They should be higher in the USL2 table than they are.

3) Ex-CPB players play some of their best matches against Palace. Brooks, Rush, and last night, Lewis.

4) When you are two men up for 15 minutes (including added time), playing at home--you have to score.

Props to Real Maryland for getting their 3 points. I'm glad that we won't see them anymore this season. Hopefully both clubs will make the playoffs and Palace can come out on top.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 30, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

In the USOC, as far as upsets go:

I got the Charleston Battery beating Chivas USA and I think that the ROchester Rhinos taking out Columbus are the two most probable upsets.

It would not surprise me if they go to pks in order to do it but I like those matchups, especially if Columbus relies to heavily on reserves.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 30, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Is USOC the tournament in which home-field advantage is essentially sold to the highest bidder?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 30, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

@univeristyandpark: Yep. That is how it works, Bro.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 30, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

As much as I'd like to say that Harrisburg should advance, New England has actually looked pretty darn good in Superliga.

Is it possible that Charleston would actually be favored over Chivas here? Minnesota is a decent team too going up against KC. Rod Dyachenko FTW!!!!!

Posted by: DCUMD | June 30, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Yep. That is how it works, Bro.
________________________________________

In that case, considering that MLS clubs presumably have far deeper pockets than their opponents, is there any significance to the fact that only two of them are hosting matches tonight?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 30, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Camping? Camping? is he serious? How could FIFA have ever picked South Africa to host.? On top of no where to stay, no way to get to the game they have those dang horns going the entire 90.

Posted by: Keith_in_Charlotte | June 30, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

What do the Baron's players do for a living . . are they ride operators? Lifeguards?

Posted by: delantero | June 30, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

REI - Official sponsors of the FIFA 2010 World Cup. From 20-degree sleeping bags to high-tech tents, get your World Cup lodging at REI.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Minnesota over KCW seems like a real possibility.

And man, Portland (both team and fans) are going to be up for that match against the Sounders. Should be a good atmosphere and a good game...

Posted by: combedge | June 30, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"You all look like happy campers to me. Happy campers you are, happy campers you have been, and, as far as I am concerned, happy campers you will always be." - Dan Quayle, speaking to soccer fans in Johannesburg.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Goal.com had the Jozy story Sunday (http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614/americans-abroad/2009/06/28/1352567/altidore-i-dont-want-to-go-back-to-villarreal), but then later that day had another about him just wanting more playing time (http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2009/06/28/1352368/jozy-altidore-i-need-to-play-more-often-at-villarreal), so...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 30, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Jacob, you have that backwards, actually...the first story on Sunday was "
Jozy Altidore: I Need To Play More Often At Villarreal" and the second "Altidore: I Don’t Want To Go Back To Villarreal" -- where I believe he was misquoted, and that he was really talking about Xerez.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

My B.

Can't wait for the games tonight. I may be out to dinner for the DC game (at least the first bit), but late night Sounders-Timbers I'm very excited for.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 30, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: universityandpark
-------------------------------------------

Great question.

Most of them don't want turn to occur the expense of hosting unless they can play someplace small like the Soccerplex.

According to Goff, DC decided to host because they didn't want to drive on up the road. They decided that it was less stress on the players and organization to just play the match at "home".

Considering how well the Barons play USOC matches at home, it was probably an excellent decision.

Why make guys schlep up to southern Jersey when they don't have to?

Posted by: yankiboy | June 30, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

@JacobfromATLish: The rivalry is back--at least for the night. Sounders-Timbers bad blood "renewed"...

Posted by: yankiboy | June 30, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

ATTENTION!:
Sounders/Timbers is tomorrow night! The date was changed a week or two ago.
Note the broadcast sched. on USLlive...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Houston/Austin is tomorrow as well.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Dad comes through again!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 30, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan, was your weekend camping trip in fact a practice run for South Africa 2010?

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | June 30, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I wish. :-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I still haven't got the right video player installed on this stupid Mac so I can watch USL.live feeds or the MLS ones... WTF am I doing wrong?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________

I'm tempted to observe that KC is already there.

Posted by: universityandpark | June 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Camping and soccer in the same location?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Apple hates soccer.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Dadryan!

are you able to attend the USOC match at the plex tonight?

the ride option is still available.

you know the email.

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | June 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Chivas at Charleston will be an upset.

Columbus at Rochester also.

Posted by: AsstGM | June 30, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to note the teams' records. All but 2 of the lower division sides (Azteks and Thunder) have more wins than draws. Only 3 of the MLS sides have more wins than draws.

Posted by: fischy | June 30, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Olympiakos is a good club for Jozy. He will have a good chance to play in the CL and/or UEFA cup and will get alot of playing time. Possibly starting alongside Brazilian striker Diogo making them a formidable attacking duo.

Good luck Jozy!

Posted by: cyants_27 | June 30, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the standing offer bonghits.
Still stuck, because of the wifey's uncanny ability to schedule her birthday dinners on DCU match nights... Chinese food with the inlaws is set in stone.

I wonder how stoked my old lady is gonna be when I demand she trouble shoot the video player plug-in when she comes through the door? Maybe some flowers or champagne will help...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Blatter gives SA 7.5/10, but says it "must fix significant problems," like allowing the United States into the final. "We will talk with our officials between now and next year to impress upon them the importance of issuing the necessary amount of red cards to ensure the U.S. does not ruin our final's TV ratings worldwide," Blatter said.

Posted by: JRandomReader | June 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I definetly do Not want Jozy to go to Greece. The competition will make him look good, give him some confidence, but I think that, if he plays his cards right, that he can be playing for Fulham or other teams in top leagues who are willing to give him playing time and a chance.

Remember Nery Castillo? The jump from Greece to England ruined him. (I know there was a club or two in between, but still).

Fulham could use a striker like Jozy, as could top clubs in Holland.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 30, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, Here is what you do. Tell your wife you are going to the game, she can go to her parents by herself. Then go to the game.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 30, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan
==================

Your wife can trouble-shoot computers? Lucky man.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 30, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I know you need Flip4Mac installed to watch MLSnet on a Mac. I went to the USL site, and it plays the video for me with that plug-in as well. I've never done any troubleshooting with Flip4Mac--it mostly works for me. (Videos have failed to play, but it's been due to high traffic.)

The site for the plug in is http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

Posted by: stiela_ | June 30, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon

But Nery is a...word that shouldn't be used here...and Jozy is the opposite.

Posted by: Reignking | June 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

stiela_, thanks, I've installed the thing but I'm still having trouble getting it to work. I wonder if I need to uninstall something...?

@Ron16: Telling my wife that I'm going to an overpriced soccer match against an amateur team instead of attending HER birthday dinner? Are you kidding me? I may be a little bit crazy but I'm not stupid. Open Cup final? Or a pivotal league match? That's a different story.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The Portland-Seattle match will be on FSNNW following the Yankees-Mariners game.

Posted by: DemonJuice | June 30, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, no chance of a baseball game running long and preempting a Sounders game...

Posted by: DadRyan | June 30, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully all the MLS teams lose. The only way to get MLS to do anything productive is through embarrassment.

Productive things won't happen as long as they can hold up minor accomplishments like winning the US Open Cup.

Posted by: mediaman1976 | June 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing about S.African winter- it isn't all that cold. The Confed. Cup was consistently in the 50s and 60s. I wouldn't mind camping in that at all

Posted by: carmines757 | June 30, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse