Twellman, Setanta, MLS, T&T

*More on New England star Taylor Twellman. The Revs say: "Taylor's doctors did not place a timetable on his injury. He continues to play/train on a day-to-day status, dictated by how he feels."

*Setanta, which provides an abundance of English Premier League and international futbol coverage to American viewers, is in financial trouble and could be gobbled up by ESPN.

*The Houston Chronicle's take on tonights' Dynamo-Chivas USA showdown (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2).

*According to the T&T media, D.C. United defender Avery John will miss tonight's World Cup qualifier against Mexico at Azteca with an injury.

By Steve Goff  |  June 10, 2009; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  2010 World Cup , CONCACAF , D.C. United , MLS , TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: Ronaldo in America?

Comments

Was Setanta the company that charged $20 per game for Euro 2004 games (and other special soccer events) at local drinking establishments? If so, good riddance to them.

Posted by: SSMD1 | June 10, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I feel a bit bad for them because they're Irish, but the downfall of Setanta would bring more games to me if ESPN picks them up, so I won't protest.

But will another network pick up Special1 TV? It's Fantastic.

Posted by: Louise9 | June 10, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Let's pool our money and bid for Setanta. Chest Rockwell will be the match analyst and we will all appear on a version of FSC's pub-in-the-studio show, only there'll be Sam Adams coming out of those taps and some Johnsonville Brats on the grill (gotta keep the sponsors happy).

Soccer Insider legal team: draw up the papers, I have to run to the ATM.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I feel a bit bad for them because they're Irish
Posted by: Louise9

Do you have something against the Irish? :)

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

From the Commonwealth's perspective, Ireland's loss is our gain. Of course, Special1TV must come along with it!

And Rebecca Lowe!

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | June 10, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

sam adams???

who drinks that garbage?

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | June 10, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Will ESPN be willing to pay what the EPL wants to keep those rights or will this be another experiment?

Posted by: carnack | June 10, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

If you get the production facilities for free in exchange for paying the rights fee - I'm sure ESPN is interested. Besides, they've got a decently filled out stable of employees for a soccer product they lost (UEFA Champions League) that would probably enjoy the ability to do EPL, SPL and Ligue 1 matches.

Posted by: VirginiaBlueBlood | June 10, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

We'll have to see what kind of arrangement ESPN would possibly want from Setanta. Would they want to keep the brand and content basically as is? Or would they want to swallow it and turn it in to new ESPN programming? Time will tell. I do think ESPN want to get into Premier League US TV rights though.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

European soccer on television is a basic human right of all US citizens, and EPL should not be permitted to auction off the rights to the highest qualified bidder simply for their own "profit". Nor should broadcasters be permitted legally to charge money for providing this basic human right. This is an outrage!

Posted by: OWNTF | June 10, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPN News, ESPNU, ESPN Plus. Setanta = ESPN the Siete?!?!? kind of close right?

If this goes through, I hope it drops off the sports package tier so I can get it. otherwise this really isnt news to me.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | June 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The Setanta brand? That's got to be worthless.

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

if setanta had gotten on to comcast, i'm sure my monthly subscription fee would have kept them afloat. missed opportunity!

Posted by: stairs | June 10, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Seriously Dude Abides? The sports tier is like $5 a month...

And it's not on the sports tier now so really, I'm just hoping that it actually falls to the sports tier so I can get it.

Posted by: combedge | June 10, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we label Avery as injury prone?

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 10, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, joedoc, I think he went 90 at home last week. This week away in Mexico -- maybe he's just not a portable John.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 10, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: combedge | June 10, 2009 12:10 PM

I doubt this will ever make it to Comcast. They still haven't added ESPN U and never added Setanta.

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

OWNTF = en fuego! :-)

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking it's ESPN Europe or ESPN International.

Right now, between FSC and Setanta I get at least 8 or 9 Prem games a weekend, which makes sure I almost never miss the games I want to see. If that changes, I will be extremely bitter.

Posted by: daandre3 | June 10, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bonghits4gomez
sam adams??? who drinks that garbage?

Sammy's is good stuff, one of the better US massed produced beers. If you're tastes are towards mass-produced imports or other micro-brews, then I would still disagree with you. If you lean the American lager Big 3, then Oh God please die in a fire...

Posted by: EricB1 | June 10, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Chelsea may be a very different team under Ancelotti -- moving towards the beautiful game. Yesterday, Pato said he was going to talk to Ancelotti about Chelsea. Now, the Blues are talking about an English record transfer foe Arguero.

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I was just reading Marca...too many rumors to even mention...

Posted by: Reignking | June 10, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Since they're Irish, I am sure the new channel will be ESPN Go Bragh.

If EPL games are a birthright, then tape-delayed Kilkenny-Cork hurling matches in Gaelic are a downright necessity.

Posted by: IamAM | June 10, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I hate Twellman . . . as a player. I hope he recovers from this in good form so I can continue to yell unprintable things at him when he runs past my seats :) Seriously, aside from Landon Donovan, I can't think of anyone who I have loved to hate, in sporting fashion, as much as Twellman, since Diego Serna.

Hey Goff, how about a poll for all-time most reviled MLS 11? You've got my three nominations up top. I'll have to think about the defensive side a bit. Quite a few options . . . :) Maybe you could give us some stats to help us along. Who has the most cards and fouls against united? Who has drawn the most? Most goals and assists? Minutes played? Saves? GAA?

Posted by: regularfan | June 10, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: regularfan | June 10, 2009 12:53 PM

*****************************
Regularfan, you're in for a treat because Serna, the player you love to hate more than any active MLSer scored a goal in the US Open Cup last night!

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 10, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

If it makes "Special1 TV" go away, I'm all for it.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | June 10, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If it makes "Special1 TV" go away, I'm all for it.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | June 10, 2009 2:26 PM

You cannot be serious?!

/John McEnroe voice

Posted by: Kev29 | June 10, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

*********************

Thanks Joel :) Go Charleston!

Posted by: regularfan | June 10, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The comedy in Special 1 TV goes over the head of many... I think it's hilarious.

Posted by: alecw81 | June 10, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 10, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Shut up creditors
and get the tank for alecw81

Posted by: jmingus | June 10, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@alecw81: The humor of Special1 TV doesn't go over my head. I just think the novelty wore off after a couple of shows.

If Setanta goes away, i fear so will my only real chance to watch rugby

Posted by: mmathai1 | June 10, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

No more Rugby, Aussie Rules, or Gaelic sports?

The horrors!

Posted by: mason08 | June 10, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

No more Rugby, Aussie Rules, or Gaelic sports?
-----------------------------------------------

Seems to me that used to be the cornerstone of ESPN2 programming. Back to the future?

Posted by: fischy | June 10, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if this is a Gaelic sport. But it looks like it's set in the highlands and might be the origin of shinty.

Get it? Shin-ty? Ha ha ha.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 10, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Twellman, Setanta, MLS, T&T

By Steve Goff | June 10, 2009; 11:01 AM ET

Adult-sized jerseys with bigger head holes would clear this headache bug right up for TT.

Thx,