United Drops Crayton

The Insider has learned that D.C. United will not exercise the contract option on veteran goalkeeper Louis Crayton, who lost the starting job this season and had fallen to No. 3 on the depth chart. Crayton's deal, which was paying him about $170,000 annually, expires next week. He had not played since a 2-2 tie at Chivas USA in mid-May and finished with six league appearances this season.

More details to come.....

UPDATE: The move has been confirmed.

Coach Tom Soehn: "It's something that we felt like we needed to do to make us better. I told him I wanted to thank him for all the services he brought throughout everything. He was a great pro, and it was time for us to go in different directions."

United has no immediate plans to sign a third goalie, which seems to indicate that the club will look to acquire a defender when the international window opens July 15. Central back Dejan Jakovic is with the Canadian national team for a few weeks, leaving Greg Janicki and Devon McTavish as the primary options. Perhaps left back (Burch, John) will be addressed?

How do you think DCU should fill the roster spot/salary cap space/international position?

By Steve Goff  |  June 25, 2009; 1:01 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Quaranta's Call-Up
Next: Matchday: Brazil-South Africa

Comments

who saw this coming?

Best of luck to you Louie, thanks for everything.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | June 25, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

No surprise at all. Shabby treatment by the team earlier this year, in my view. Glad Wicks is in good form, hope it holds up.

Take the money and find a left back pronto.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

So, Goff, does the brass have any plans for the extra jingle that this move creates?

I hear Pato is available...

Posted by: jpeace121 | June 25, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

This might have been the least surprising roster move in history.

Posted by: mmathai1 | June 25, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I was just wondering what took so long to announce the decision.

Posted by: sitruc | June 25, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Cut Fred, and get a better, younger, international winger. Didi Torrico is a great option, scored the last goal vs. Argentina and is still stuck over there at Wilstermann.

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | June 25, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Still stuck in Bolivia. *

Posted by: BolivianDCFan | June 25, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I liked Crayton and will miss having him on the team. Please let us know where he lands. No one celebrated the Open Cup win like him!

Posted by: Pedalada | June 25, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Could a third keeper be coming from the Academy?

Posted by: sitruc | June 25, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

If we are looking for a right winger who plays out of his mind, we should get Mark Sanford.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Some MLS team needs to pick up Crayton. If the Galaxy didn't have so many salary cap issues with Beckham's return, I'd want Crayton to play for us. If Josh Wicks falls back into the "form" he had with the Galaxy last year, you guys are screwed.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | June 25, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Zak Whitbread would be my choice if we could afford him.

Posted by: soccerglue | June 25, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't know WHO specifically DC should pick up, but the primary need is defensive. Scoring is not United's problem.

Posted by: ashleybone | June 25, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

How about Gooch? Yet another player the fans will never get to meet. Love the summer trading!!!!! The team should have the player cards anyway so we can remember those we lost.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 25, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Left back!

(then cut John too)

I guess DCU is just going to rely on the MLS goalkeeper pool for our third back

Posted by: diego_r | June 25, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2009 1:43 PM
--------

Is that the same Mark Sanford who has been training hard with Franco Niell and Gonzalo Peralta in Argentina! He knows how to lose his marker

Posted by: diego_r | June 25, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I dunno OWNTF, most of our signings with Argentine experience have taken a hike.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

If everyone is healthy, this is the lineup I would like to see if Jakovic and Quaranta are gone.

--------------Wicks--------------
Namoff--McTavish--Janicki--Burch
--------------Olsen--------------
Pontius--------------------Wallace
--------------Gomez--------------
-------Emilio-------Moreno-------

I know that I have left out Simms but he is just not at the same level as he was last season

Posted by: GoUnited | June 25, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

what's with the goalkeeper pool? We can get one even if we have a full roster? We definitely need a third goalie. How about borrowing one on loan. Real Maryland has a young 20 year old goalie who played at Towson, maybe someone like that could practice with us.

Posted by: godpere | June 25, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Riquelme! We can get him for $170 grand can't we?

Posted by: LostinPotomac | June 25, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Morientes!

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Tevez and David Villa are in the market

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 25, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Somebody beat me to it. Cut John, too, and get a Real defender.

I'd rather get one GOOD defender, but if we have the space, why not shop around for someone who is better than Jacobson?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 25, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so, world feed is showing Brazil in this CRAZY like 2-3-2-1-1-1 formation...

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

It's just an oddly aligned 5-3-2

Posted by: alecw81 | June 25, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Crayton had the ball on his feet outside of the penalty area so often, perhaps he can play outside back?

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 25, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

This is no surprise, but I still don't like it. I mean, in my head I know we can use that salary much more efficiently than a 3rd choice keeper. It's just that Crayton seems like a great guy. He handled the situation well, and hopefully his next move is good for him.

As for how to use the money, I would lean towards a defensive improvement. Ideally, it would be someone comfortable on the left. I don't know if I'm comfortable with relying on the MLS keeper pool for our 3rd choice keeper, though. Call me crazy, but we'd be 2 injuries (with keepers, that's not unthinkable) from having basically some stranger playing in a crucial role for us. It's not a likely problem, but it seems to me that when you leave one tiny gap in your plans, it gets exposed more often than you'd expect.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 25, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I do remember him taking the time before the Charleston game in Charleston to come and shake every hand offered to him.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I say we sign Gaxa from South Africa as an outside defender or Juan at Flamengo of Brazil. Or we could go after both and cut John loose.

Posted by: soccerglue | June 25, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

nice one joedoc1.

Crayton! Gonna miss you brother! Sorry things had to end like this.
I'm still not sold on Wicks, and I still haven't forgot about Kocic complaining about crowd noise. Hope we don't end up regretting this in the coming months.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Can Erin McLeod double card?

Posted by: OWNTF | June 25, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I wish we could get Chris Seitz or Kyle Reynish from Real Salt Lake. They are battling each other to see who back-ups good ol' Nick Rimando, and either one would be a huge upgrade for DC United compared to what we have had since... well, since Nick.

Or, how about Patrick Lane? He is an American that had some hype before he played last year in Belgium, but I'm not sure if he is even under contract anymore.

Posted by: Nate8 | June 25, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Could we get this Booth guy from South Africa for a $170k annual salary? sure he's a bit slow but he's extremely composed and would be an instant upgrade in central defense.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 25, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Crayton was alright but not @ $170,000. He was great compared to Wells but Wicks is just as good and gets the edge with the lower salery. Lets see how he does and if needed pick up a star keeper in the off season.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 25, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Use our new slot to pick up central defender Matthew Booth (though maybe we should see how he does in today's game)

Boooooooo-th.

Boooooooo-th.

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 25, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

@JacobfromAtlanta-ish: i definately thought brazil was using a 2-4-4 or something lol

Posted by: Konoha7 | June 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Funny how just a year ago people on this blog were calling for burch to get a look at the national team.

Posted by: Matte | June 25, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I know I'm in a minority here but I don't like our forward situation. Emilio isn't lighting it up, Moreno may be a forward but he's no striker and is at the end of a brilliant career, Pontius and Quaranta can play up top but they are very valuable in midfield, N'Silu doesn't have the speed or the scoring touch I would like to see, and Khumalo has the speed but no touch, period. Let's look for someone who can put the ball in the net, or a winger who could move Tino and/or Pontius up front. Holden would be great; so would Colin Clark, but I'm dreaming.

Posted by: b18bolo | June 25, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I loved Crayton's enthusiasm in the US Open Cup. He clearly understood that winning cups is a big deal to supporters etc.

But he is past his prime and I think United is learning their lesson that they can not continue to play folks past their prime to the detriment of giving young talented players real minutes to step up and prove their worth.

Good luck to Crayton.

- the cheat

Posted by: nowanna1 | June 25, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I want to echo earlier comments by at least two other posters. Ditch Avery John and get another left back. Burch is not a starter in my opinion but he could be a back-up.

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | June 25, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

We could definitely get Michael Owen for $170K.

Posted by: jclinger | June 25, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

so who does that leave from last years signing? Two keepers gone (crayton and the kid who played in Chile). two defenders gone (Neil). 1 midfielder gone (gallardo). Anyone else?

Posted by: nyjer1 | June 25, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Owen is a piece of crap.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

@b18bolo -- I agree that DCU is weak up top right now. For better or worse, though, the team is heavily invested in Emilio for this season. I hope they use the DP to bring in a striker with legs for next season. IN the meantime, it seems reasonable to suggest that DCU would be well advised to try and sign another defender.

@sitruc -- I was thinking the same thing. I get the feeling that Hamid and Badr are both waiting to get a call from United before they ink a foreign deal.

@nyjer -- there were others brought in midseason, like Crayton. Vide and Thompson come to mind. Two have stuck around -- Khumalo and Janicki.

Posted by: fischy | June 25, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

------------Wicks--------------
Namoff--McTavish--Janicki--Burch
--------------Olsen--------------
Pontius--------------------Wallace
--------------Gomez--------------
-------Emilio-------Moreno-------

the guy who posted this lineup is an idiot

that defense last year minus our crappy goalkeeper from last year were giving up 3 goals a game last year. mctavish and burch together are a liability. jury is still out on janicki

Posted by: castroviejo | June 26, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Crayton really came through for us when we needed him. I am thankful for his being here with United and for the effort and heart he put into the games from the start. I understand the salary issue, and this is probably the right move, but I think he was well worth the price when we really needed a guy like him to come to town (in the middle of a season) and to act professionally while the other guys got up to speed. Thanks, Louis!! Best of luck to you.

Posted by: UnitedFanInTX | June 26, 2009 1:08 AM | Report abuse