United News & Notes

Striker Luciano Emilio, who missed DCU's previous match with a bruised knee, underwent an MRI exam on Saturday and said he has a bone bruise, a ligament strain and some meniscus concerns. He won't play tomorrow against the Ocean City Barons in the U.S. Open Cup at Maryland SoccerPlex and, although he seems unlikely to play Saturday at Columbus, he didn't completely rule it out.

Forward Jaime Moreno remains out with a hamstring injury and has targeted July 18 for his return. "It's getting better. I don't want to rush it. The next game after Saturday is the 18th, so that gives me plenty of time to get 100 percent healthy and work on fitness."

Midfielder Fred is recovering from an adductor injury suffered at Seattle almost two weeks ago. Awaiting word on his status.....[UPDATE: He won't play tomorrow, maybe Saturday.]

Midfielder-forward Santino Quaranta and defender Dejan Jakovic are on Gold Cup duty with the U.S. and Canadian national teams, respectively.

More to come.....

By Steve Goff  |  June 29, 2009; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Red Bulls in Europe
Next: A Few Minutes With Tom Soehn

Comments

given how badly we need him, I sure hope Santino gets significant PT in Gold Cup.

Posted by: troy6 | June 29, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

With so many starters out, this will be our first real test of depth with 2 matches in 5 days. Tough to come up with a starting XI, but here's what I'm thinking:

6/30 versus Ocean City:
Kocic
Namoff-Janicki-John
McTavish-Simms
DiRaimondo-Barklage-Wallace
Pontius-Khumalo

7/4 versus Colorado:
Wicks
Namoff-Janicki-Burch
Jacobson-Simms
Olsen-Gomez-Wallace
Pontius-N'Silu

Posted by: DCUMD | June 29, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! United's roster will be hurting this week. I'm not sure I'd go too far down the depth chart for tomorrow's game -- we need a win to advance. Probably better to start a stronger side and then pull a few off in favor of subs if things go well than to start a weaker side and have to try to make up ground in the second half.

Posted by: Curious99 | June 29, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

It's time for a big "Adeus" to Emilio (5 goals, 2 assists - $758,000), a big "Ate logo" to Fred (1 goal, 3 assists - $257,000), a "hearty farewell and goodbye" to Ben (1 goal, 0 assists - $225,000). Jaime(5 goals, 2 assists - $250,000) and Gomez (3 goals, 1 assist - $321,000) get a pass on "Adios" until the end of the year. Here's the math of their combined guaranteed salaries: $1,811,000. That's a log of buck for very little bang. Even Jeff Agoos can read the writing on this wall.

Posted by: rcdwriting | June 29, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Yes, time to cut the expensive veteran stars on a first-place team.

Posted by: Reignking | June 29, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I tend to agree but regardless, we need to start looking for a top class forward immediately.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | June 29, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Soccer - it's all in the numbers! ;-)

Posted by: Kev29 | June 29, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I was looking up our Champion's Cup opponents C.D. Chalatenango in Wikipedia to see whether they were located in Honduras. They are not, but the Wikipedia entry had an even more interesting item: "0n 26 June, 2009 due to financial trouble sold their spot in the Primera División de Fútbol Profesional to C.D. Municipal Limeno."

Do they still exist? Are we still going to play them?

Posted by: granadoskerry | June 29, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | June 29, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

And it says Firpo could replace them.

Posted by: Reignking | June 29, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Fred gets injured brushing his teeth.

Posted by: iammrben1 | June 29, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Did someone say "Canadian?!"

Gonna catch a flight to Nevada
Leave her friends at home in L.A.
Seven come eleven or blackjack
Gamblin' night and day, yeah

Cause she's a roller, now
A high roller baby, she is, mmm
She's a roller, yeah
A high roller baby, alright..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 29, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

DCUMD:

DiRaimondo has been a central player in MLS. Since virtually nothing has been written about how DCU views him, I would assume nothing changed. Switch him and McTavish in your lineup and I think that's what we'll see Wednesday. We'll still have Gomez and N'Silu available off the bench if things don't go as planned.

granadoskerry and Reignking:

Bizarre development there. If it's true, Firpo will bring a much more dedicated fanbase to RFK. In all honesty, I think we'd have been better playing the provincial team (lower fan support in our area, and they were forced to play their home leg at Cuscatlan instead of their actual home).

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 29, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Re:

Posted by: rcdwriting

It's not that dire a situation currently. The team is in first place. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say that DCU looks like the best team in the East. Still, this is a valid point (and valid concern) as we get closer to the end of the season. It makes sense to try to bring in some talent in July or August because it's not clear how many more miles these legs have in them.

Oh, and Freddy Adu was far more effective than Fred. Flame away, but I've waited more than a year for Fred to prove me wrong. I like him. I wish we had both.

Posted by: DWE4 | June 29, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell

Agreed. I don't know much about the upstart club, but I believe they were financed by one businessman who recently was doing well. It seems as though he isn't, anymore.

Posted by: Reignking | June 29, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News:

Wicks was abducted today by aliens. Apparently, they were Toronto fans.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but we are pretty much left with the roster that got creamed vs. Colorado, sans best defender and most effective attacker? Damn.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 29, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think a proper left back has to top the priority list for Kasper & co. This team can score goals and has a good chemistry going - forward is further down the list for me.

Posted by: TheAMT | June 29, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse