United Rewind

Well, that was fun wasn't it? It's got to feel good in the United locker room to finally get three points after five straight league matches without a win.

Man of the Match? It's got to be Josh Wicks, who made me look...well, not like an buffoon, by putting up another goose egg and turning in another strong performance. That save on Juan Pablo Angel's shot in the 86th is the type of moment this team has been needing from a goalkeeper this year. Big, big play.

Said Tom Soehn of Wicks: "He manned the box very well, he really had a presence in the game. Especially on wet days it can really cause keepers a lot havoc, and defenders. He really stepped up and I thought he did a good job today."

Jaime Moreno: "That's what happens when you work hard and you work with that mentality of being a number one. It's a team that works for each other and hopefully we stay on the same page, everyone, so we keep winning."

Santino Quaranta: "That's what you need in your goalkeepers: to come up big. Once a game you're going to need them and he came up big."

This isn't going to be the longest post in the world, as I need to hit the road, but I will provide my player ratings -- my first in the history of this blog. Never have I felt more pressure to fill Goff's shoes...

PLAYER RATINGS
Wicks 8; Namoff 7, Jakovic 6, Burch 6; Fred 7, Pontius 6, Simms 6, Wallace 6; Emilio 5, N'Silu 4.5, Quaranta 6
Subs: Gomez 7, Moreno 7, McTavish NR.

How do YOU think they did?

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 4, 2009; 10:47 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU Matchnight #13 - DCU vs. Red Bulls
Next: Early Friday Kickaround

Comments

Emilio gets a 5 for his game performance, and a minus 5 for his tantrum. Unprofessional, unacceptable, and irresponsible given the challenging game against Chicago next week. I know he's passionate, I know he was frustrated, I love him as a player and I feel like I'm sometimes more forgiving of him than some others may be. But his behavior tonight was completely Unacceptable.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | June 4, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why N'Silu was subbed at the half, or why he only rates a 4.5

Posted by: alecw81 | June 4, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

After watching the pathetic performance by the USMNT all I can think is why the hell is Namoff not playing right back for that squad. Bradley- get your head out of your butt and call up Namoff!

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | June 4, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Wicks was solid.

Really liked the job that Simms and Namoff did tonight.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 4, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | June 4, 2009 11:26 PM |

He certainly couldn't have done any worse than Wynne.

Posted by: mercurysnake77 | June 4, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

"It's a team that works for each other and hopefully we stay on the same page, everyone, so we keep winning."

Me thinks this was directed at Luciano Emilio ..

Any idea what was said before he tossed half a dozen water bottles on the pitch? It was all very un-jogo bonito.

Posted by: delantero | June 4, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

We did well against the Red Bulls who have always drawn us into a shootout this season.

I think that Emilio's behavior is unaccetable. Having said that, we need to look to why he is frustrated, because this could become poison in the locker room, pitting a gifted finisher and a proud legend. Subbing in Moreno wasn't entirely necessary, I feel, and Soehn needs to work hard to keep the playing situation harmonious.

One reason I think Emilio isn't scoring as much is that he isn't the person we look to every time. Wallace, Pontius, Fred, Gomez, Moreno, they are all threatening and capable of scoring, and therefore aren't necessarily thinking "Luci" when the ball is going forward. Luci helped our attack tonight with vision and deft flicks.

All I'm saying is, calm him down, cuz we still need him come playoff time.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 4, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

What's with the harsh rating of N'Silu? And Moreno a 7? He gave the ball away every time he touched it (expect for that last time when it went in the net).

Posted by: decoi | June 4, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, N'Silu didn't do much that was productive. He held the ball fairly well when it came to him, and made a nice run down the side, but his cross killed that effort. A 4.5 does sound a bit harsh, though -- as he didn't do anything bad. I suspect he came out because Tommy wanted Gomez in. Hard to argue with that.

Burch made one nice defensive play, but I wouldn't grade him as highly as Simms, Jakovic, or even Pontius. There should be some differentiation. Namoff did get nutmegged once, but recovered to to make the play. Perhaps a 7 is reasonable, though he wasn't that much better than Jakovic, who turned in his best game of the year. I guess, if we're giving put .5s, then I'd give Dejan a 6.5, and maybe one for Pontius, too.

Quaranta deserved at least that 6.5. He had one run in the making in the 1st half that went unrealized, because the ball didn't get played his way (over the top) -- I think it might have been Emilio or Wallace who missed him -- if the pass had gone his way, he would have had a breakaway and you'd be giving him an 8.

Posted by: fischy | June 4, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

@Decoi -- A 7 might be a tad generous for Jaime, as he missed the chance to spring Fred on a run earlier, but he did help deliver the knockout blow with a nicely crafted run of his own.

Posted by: fischy | June 4, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Hm, I hope I get Mr. Tenorio, not Mr. Goff. Mr. Tenorio is an easier grader.

Fine match. Fred was excellent as playmaker in the first half. Meanwhile, a little too much negativity in the previous thread about the decision to defend in the second half, I think. It was raining pretty heavily, the defense was game-on, and it was no bunker -- the line was pretty high, which let the offense come on and possess when the ball got turned over. It looked to me (I haven't seen the replay yet) like Gomez was baiting Conway, toying with him to draw the PK. Fun to watch.

Posted by: dccal | June 4, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Emilio "irresponsible given the challenging game against Chicago next week"

Emilio should have sat awhile back. He's talented, but not so talented that he shouldn't sit the bench now and again. This team should be fine without him for a bit.

Posted by: delantero | June 4, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Michael: 8.5, Fiona: 9 Sam: 7 Michael's Mom: 9.5 Barry: NR

Overall on the game: Emilio's frustration is understandable, but that crossed a line. Gomez came out on fire, and that was a great sign. I think Pontius doesn't have a position, stick him in the middle and let him run left, right, up, back, wherever he needs to be, he's got the IQ to handle it. Fred seemed hot on the ball, but when his position evolved after Gomez came in, he seemed to disappear a bit, but no real complaints. The defense didn't do anything to scare me, so good marks for them. Of course Wicks may have had the revelation we've all be waiting on. (Sorry, Louis, truly)

(How's that Chest?)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 4, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

And by "how's that" I mean "How can you add 300 words to that?"

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 4, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Wynne was horrible last night, but seriously is that the way to bring him into the lineup? away against a team that thrives on putting pressure off the ball (wynne has 0 ball skills). I dont recall Bob giving wynne any starts other than the copa america debacle. Wynne should be responsible for his game last night, but BOB should also take responsibility for starting him and shattering any confidence he had built up.

This loss stings even 24 hours later, but it will serve us good if we learn from these mistakes. I thought the EL salvador game was an eye opener, but apparently not. BOB needs to find the right team to play, so far he has not even come close.

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 5, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

In Coach Bob's defense -- his choices were limited by injuries. Given CR's style of play, and the playing surface, I thought Wynne was a better choice than Spector. Obviously, Bradley had the same thought.

Frankly, if the first goal doesn't happen -- all the way across the field from Wynne, I'm not sure the defense would have made that awful set of decisions that led to the second goal. Then, no one would be saying Wynne had an awful game. Instead, te\hey'd be praising him for bringing a little life in an attack that wasn't, and for showing the speed and hustle to get back to his defensive position. I don't agree that he was horrible. Only one of the 3 goals came from his side. In fact, none of the shots actually came from that side. The USA defense was leaking, but primarily on the left side. One bad play -- mostly a miscommunication with Onyewu -- doesn't make for a horrible outing. And, yes, I also recall that he had a chance to make a great run on the wing, but the pass bounced right past him. He wasn't perfect, but he wasn't horrible -- at least not individually. It was a team effort.

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Wynne made one great play -- a sliding tackle by the end line, and knocked the ball out off the attacking player. Unfortunately, the ref missed it and gave CR a corner kick. I think Wynne showed some promise, and a lot of room for growth. I don't know if he'll step up to the next level -- his defending has always been a little suspect -- but, I doubt his confidence was shattered.

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Er... If one poor match is enough to shatter his confidence, what good is he to the team anyway? You have to find out how players react in situations like the Saprissa Slaughterhouse eventually.

Posted by: mason08 | June 5, 2009 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Forward meltdown..?

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | June 5, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

I hate how the USMNT is obsessed with having outside backs that will contribute to the offense. Let's just get a solid back four and then worry about our front six. We have enough offensive talent, I think, to not have to depend on Cafu-type outside backs to stimulate our offense. Call up Namoff! Fire Bradley now!

Posted by: CapitolHill1 | June 5, 2009 1:40 AM | Report abuse

"Moreno is mad cause he is a bench warmer and Emilio is mad he gets taken out of the game...

Forward meltdown..?"

I don't think so. I think this is why we're going to add another star to the jersey this year. This is the professional atmosphere that we hear all the yanks abroad talk about. Every practice is a fight to get into the starting eleven, Depth is good. Depth is our friend.

Posted by: ncguy | June 5, 2009 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice Emilio and Santino arguing at halftime while walking to the locker room? Maybe Luci's water bottle incident had nothing to do with being pulled. Or maybe he was just having a bad day. I know I've been known to have a few myself. Mrs. CrippledKeeper can vouch for that.

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 5, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

I have been a Burch fan for awhile and have not been a hater on him like many others, but last night he was awful. I'd rate him a 4, not a 6. All night, DC united would be knocking the ball around, making the simple press and probing the Red Bulls defense. Then the ball would end up at the feel of Burch and suddenly there would be a 60 yard bomb across and down the pitch! Now sometimes he might connect, but that's not the point. He is playing long ball when the rest of the team is playing possession.

Also, has anyone noticed how well DC united plays when Fred is the central attacking midfielder?

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 5, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I can't type obviously. Above I meant to say that DC United was making the simple "pass" (not "press"). Also, it should have said that the ball would end up at the "feet" of Burch (not "feel").

My bad.

Posted by: Dougmacintyre | June 5, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CrippledKeeper | June 5, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse
___________________________________________________

Maybe Luci was arguing with Tino because he was there for Fred's ball when Tino streaked in for the goal. Not saying the Luci would have definitely had the goal, but I'm sure as a goal-scorer that he might feel that way. He might be a little pissed, feeling that he was "robbed" of a goal.

Not that he should, as a teammate on a team sport, just saying that he might because he is, after all, human.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | June 5, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I like the Moreno for Emilio sub. We were 1-0 up and the conditions were getting suckier as the rain continue. He may not be brazilian but I'll talk Moreno's ball skills over Emilio any day. He was very influential in getting that PK. Emilio would not have made that pass.

And throwing stuff on the field is very very unprofessional. He ought to be fined by the MLS and be ashamed of himself. Especially on national TV.

Posted by: tundey | June 5, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I've had a feeling Tino was going to get a goal soon. I'd really like to see him keep it up.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Was Blanco ever punished for giving his jersey to a ref? I think his red card is enough.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 5, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Oh man, what a great thought.

CALL UP NAMOFF!! NAMOFF FOR USMNT!!!

Posted by: keepunitedindc | June 5, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

1) Fred covered a lot of ground last night. Freddie Hustle, as such. Great to see the effort and the engineering of the offense.

2) Emilio's outburst.... 'nuff said.

3) Despite happiness related to beating NY, I continue to worry about our offense as far as that final pass, that final move, and that shot (of course). Versus NY and NE before we press, we look good, we threaten up to the edge of the penalty box....but we can't get that last part to click. It takes too long to score despite the domination, and then once we do we can't find another. We must do better in that fashion.

4) Having said that, very happy with the clean sheet.

5) Penalty last night almost, halfway, sort of, kinda makes up for the "penalty" in NE.

6) Even if he's on NY I have to enjoy and appreciate Petke's play. Same is true of JPA.

7) I'm tired of all of this rain.

Posted by: 22206no1 | June 5, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh, one more thing:

8) Writer ratings. Goff gets a pass due to that whole "hanging with Heidi" adventure. Rating for Paul? Let me start with a 6.5 (promising efforts, good infusion of personality, multiple posts).

Posted by: 22206no1 | June 5, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

After watching the replay of the last minute PK I think Gomez deserves an Oscar. Christian just dragged his feet a bit to make it look convincing. Like Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris he's learning that understated acting can be more effective than emotional histrionics.

But it was close and, at real speed, hard to tell whether or not Conway got him (Gomez not Chuck or Clint).

Still, a PK at the end of a game where we already had a lead is nothing like last Saturday's stoppage time PK that determined the outcome in favor of the Revs.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | June 5, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I think Emilio was subbed shortly after receiving a yellow. I think Soehn was trying to prevent him from going out on a red and that it didn't work. :(

Posted by: dndlee | June 5, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Joel_M- You're absolutely right that Gomez dragged his feet, but I don't think it was necessarily acting. He dragged his feet in order to initiate contact, and there was definitely contact. Whether he purposefully drew the foul or not, it's still a foul and still a PK.

Posted by: DCUMD | June 5, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

From where I sat, Emilio was simply awful last night, and I have to think that's what led to his tantrum. The majority of his touches resulted in turnovers. He looks slow and often physically overmatched.

Apparently being in a situation where he has to compete for minutes does not agree with him, and he may yet end up on the short end of that competition (assuming any other player will step up and put the ball in the net with any consistency). At least his lack of production hasn't quelled his selfish attitude.

If I'm not mistaken, his DP contract expires after this season, and it's looking like he won't get another one.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 5, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Luci and Tino were agruing because of a bad ball by Tino a few minutes before halftime. The ball was played to Tino and he lifted a high ball that dropped around the 18. Emilion clearly wanted a through ball. I saw them jawwing a little bit after that play. Halftime was just a continuation of that arguement. They'll be fine.
I don't like the suspension, but I do like that Emilio doesn't want to leave the game. He's a good forward, he is always working hard and I appreciate his competitive nature.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 5, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

If nothing else, Emilio owes a public apology to the team.

"I hate how the USMNT is obsessed with having outside backs that will contribute to the offense. Let's just get a solid back four and then worry about our front six."

Especially when you're on the road against tough competition in a hostile environment. The goal should always have been to play for a tie and maybe snatch a victory against the run of play. Maybe if you have some phenom prodigy who is lighting up the league do you start them in a game like that, but don't throw an inexperienced international like Wynne into the mix. It's not fair on the team or him.

Posted by: chrizzah | June 5, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Yep Gomez was clearly looking for contact with the keeper...call it a professional PK. I'll take it.

Atlantic Cup Champions 2009 ;-)

Posted by: Tweaked | June 5, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I feel like this should be a red solo cup glued to a paper plate.

Posted by: jsm3 | June 5, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Goffino -- No comments on the Emilio incident?? Are you being politic at the request of management?

Posted by: starrss | June 5, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@ starss -- Goffino wasn't there to report -- and I'm guessing he's off to Chicago for tomorrow's game. Also, Oswald acted alone.

Since I didn't get to watch the game on TV, I'll ask those who stayed home:

Compare and contrast Wicks chopping down the Red Bull attacker (Kandji?) to get the ball that was stuck under his feet, and the penalty called on Conway...

Posted by: fischy | June 5, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe it was Borman who Wicks took out. I was sitting right across from the tackle and Wicks managed it well. The attacker got the ball - lost it in the rain - and it ended up behind him. Wicks just came out like he did on Twellman and made sure it didnt go any where. Thats one of the best things I like about Wicks. He is a strong/forceful player. He showed a lot of composure last night - even in the rain. Conway slipped/fell/dropped the ball probably about 5-6 times where Wicks feet looked like cement on the slippery pitch.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | June 5, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Luciano Emilio is my favorite player in the MLS. But he should get a big fat 0.0 for that nonsense he pulled last night! That could cost us the game coming up against Chicago...Trying to beat Chicago without our #1 striker is going to be difficult now. Soehn should punish him...No feijoada tomorrow!

Posted by: alan19 | June 5, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse