United Rewind

Shall we begin with Christian Gomez's gorgeous free kick? Or Josh Wicks's excellence in goal? Or Marco Pappa's strike? Or the shots off the crossbar and post? Or the baffling penalty kick decisions, especially the first one? Actually, let's broaden things a bit and consider the presentation at RFK, the pulse of the crowd, what was at stake, the pace, the intensity, the energy, the zest to attack.

DCU Coach Tom Soehn: "I have to compliment Chicago. There are too many times I have said teams try to pack it in, and they did a great job, they came at us. As a fan, you watch the game and it had everything. We're about making the league better and it was an exciting game to watch."

Santino Quaranta: "That's the way it should be."

Too many matches are quickly forgotten, lost in a long season. This one should be seared into memory.

Unfortunately, the first PK called by referee Baldomero Toledo won't quickly be forgotten by the Fire. [Click here for the video.] Said Chicago GK Jon Busch: "I would love for [MLS director of officials] Joe Machnik to call me and explain it to me. I just jumped to make myself big. It somehow got underneath me and, as I am in the air, I am turning to look at it. I stumble into [Chris Pontius]. You look at the league, how many times has that happened and there's nothing? The thing that is upsetting to me is that I tried to have a conversation with the referee, just to explain it to me. And his explanation was, 'Shut your mouth, I am always right, you are wrong.' I just wanted an explanation. If I had smashed the guy and he still has the ball, it's a penalty kick - absolutely. But when the guy gets the shot off and I'm in the air..."

Continue to the next stage of this thread for a link to my match report, player ratings and an explanation why Cuauhtemoc Blanco was not at RFK.....

The full match report.

PLAYER RATINGS
Wicks 9; Namoff 8, Jakovic 6, Burch 7; Quaranta 6, Simms 6, Wallace 6, Gomez 8, Fred 5; Moreno 6, Pontius 7. Subs: N'Silu 5, Khumalo 6, John 6.

Blanco didn't rejoin the Fire in Washington after serving Mexican national team duty for World Cup qualifiers. "The guy is 36 years old," Chicago Coach Denis Hamlett said. "He played an important game in El Salvador for 45 minutes. He played all 90 Wednesday night at altitude, all out. I spoke to him the next day and said, 'What were you guys doing attacking like crazy? You are up 2-1.' His comment was: 'We need goals' [to improve Mexico's goal difference in the CONCACAF standings] and that's the reason the coach left him on the field. He's one of the few guys on their team that can create chances. We spoke on Thursday and he was physically shattered."

By Steve Goff  |  June 14, 2009; 12:45 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight #14: United-Fire
Next: Sunday Open House

Comments

does anyone recall the last time SI gave a dcu player a 9 in the ratings, as he did wicks tonite? has he ever? impressive.

Posted by: 2_birds_1_stone | June 14, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

I would say a 9 is warranted. When was the last time DC keeper stopped a PK? How about a DC keeper that's a former "LA reject"? Excellent game from Josh. Khumalo deserves a goal, he is probably the hungriest guy on the team

Posted by: carmines757 | June 14, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Also, consider Wick's approach to PKs as opposed to the first game of the year against LA, where he froze up and looked like a fool against Donovan

Posted by: carmines757 | June 14, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Great match. Both teams represented themselves and MLS well.

The ref was whistle happy all night, but both PK calls were fair by rule, or at least by the harshest interpretation of the rules. In each case there was a foul in the penalty area. That's about all you can say, and like it or not, I think that's about all the explanation anyone's entitled to.

As for the ref's alleged comments, I say, tough. Given what a ref hears directly from the players in any tight match, they have no right to play the wounded daffodil when they hear just a tiny bit of it back. That ref didn't take it from anybody tonight, and I respect that.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 14, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Here's my question: Would Marcelo Gallardo have made Gomez's free kick? Methinks not.

Makes one wonder why DCU couldn't have come to an agreement with Gomez last year...

Posted by: Juan-John | June 14, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

Juan-John,

be careful you will have the Gallardo lovers come out and try to chew you out. It has taken longer than I expected for Gomez to adapt to this team, but the last couple of games has shown how he can change a game in an instant, today we saw him take this game and win it for us. The great thing is that he is not the only offense creater like he was in 2007. Once his game is completly there he will benefit from having Pontius, fred, and wallace as attacking midfielders. This will make it harder for teams to try to double team GOMITO.

Posted by: Norteno4life | June 14, 2009 1:55 AM | Report abuse

That was one of the most satisfying games in the past year. First place, Chicago, solidifying feeling we've found our goal keeper, big crowd and a very exciting game. I can't fall asleep I'm so worked up.

I hope Wicks is okay, he appeared to hurt himself in the closing minutes. Jaime as well, of course. It's been terrific to have mostly avoided the injury bug this year, Olsen being the obvious exception to that. What a difference it makes, eh?

That was Gomez's best game since returning, if we get him back in prime form that's going to be a huge shot in the arm for us.

Still some poor marking on D at times but I think they're slowly getting better, and the D is certainly better than last year.

Some renewed hope for Khumalo possibly turning into an asset.

Best 90' from United yet this season, still quite ways to go until we're real good. After tonight I'm significantly more confident that we're trending up.

Props to Barra for that hooch pool. That was friggin' nuts!

Posted by: KireDCU | June 14, 2009 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Here are my (first) thoughts.

1) I don't want to see Fred out wide again if Wallace, Pontius, Quaranta, even Khumalo could replace him. I still think he can be used in the middle, but wings, NO!!!

2) I think Gomez did a great job, scoring off a free kick, tracking back, making a few of the old improbable runs up top. However, I think part of the reason is we aren't saying: You're the creative guy. Do something. We've got others in support.

3) Quaranta and Pontius just need some tweaking to score about quadruple what they score now.

4) If there are still Wicks naysayers out there, you are forbidden from entering rational discourse on the matter of starting keepers ever again.

Although, to be fair, this is a different man than who we saw against LA. It's like he went home, sat in a dark room, reflected, and took a whole lot of steroids. I think competition did it, he is focused and sometimes just plain mean to opposing strikers.

Was I the only one who felt like he had that PK covered? Weird sense. (no, not joking).

All in all, good win. Run, Khumalo, RUN!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 14, 2009 3:01 AM | Report abuse

great game by wicks

another reffing debacle though.

both pks were suspect.

Posted by: castroviejo | June 14, 2009 3:47 AM | Report abuse

yes Khumalo is hungry. Also helped that he came in against a tired defense and when DC was 2-1 up with Chicago throwing everything (and thus not getting back) at us. Still he was clearly hungrier than N'Silu.

Wicks has had at least 2 situations where he clearly saved the game for DC. That's what a GK should do. Not necessarily save every shot but make those key saves that keeps you in the game. Wicks has done that (and for cheaper than Crayton). I would think the writing is on the walk for Crayton at this point.

Posted by: tundey | June 14, 2009 6:39 AM | Report abuse

both PKs were very suspect. But DC made theirs and Chicago flubbed it.

BTW, I know our D isn't world class yet but they've come a LONG way from last year's disastrous season.

Posted by: tundey | June 14, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

After reading the post-match quotes, I hate the Chicago Fire a little less. Without Blanco of course. 'Cos he is a piece of u-know-what.

Posted by: tundey | June 14, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Goff's ratings except for Jakovic who I thought warrented at least a 7. But I got to watch the game on a 3 inch screen and didn't watch the whole game so I realize I could be wrong.

I don't think anyone thought Wicks would turn out this solid. I'm just hoping it lasts and that he isn't inconsistant. Time will tell.

Maybe Demon is right and Fred is better in the center, but I don't know if even then he is worth it. He is extremely inconsistant, every once and awhile he does something to make it worth keeping him. Lately I don't remember that happening though...

Posted by: bighungry | June 14, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

There is absolutely no way anyone could spin the first PK as legitimate. I'm still baffled as to why it was called. That being said, a very good game to watch last night. Kudos to the folks who turned out for it....you guys were were in fantastic voice last night.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 14, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I was just looking at the scores of the other games. No ties, is that a first this season? Not counting today's game of course.

Posted by: bighungry | June 14, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Great atmosphere last night. Hard fought, clean contest. Definitely shows when Blanco is not on the field.
Soehn had no comments on Moreno's status? Anybody heard anything?

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 14, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

The old NBA adage of "no harm, no foul" certainly applies to the call against Busch.

Posted by: runningcloud | June 14, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

carmines757

May not be the most recent, but I'm put in mind of Neeeck Rimando stuffing Dempsey during sudden death PKs to win the '04 Eastern Conference title.

Good times...

Posted by: stephen9885 | June 14, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

First PK seemed pretty legit to me. Busch went flying out at Pontius. Didn't get the ball. Wiped out the player. Doesn't matter that he got a shot off. The shot didn't go in. The GK doesn't have a right to go flying at players just because he is "going for the ball". The law just says you have to trip the guy for it to be a foul. No mention of intent. I also doubt very highly that the "quote" Busch attributes to the referee is exactly accurate.

The second one seemed more suspect. But Jakovic did grab the guy's shoulder so it is hard to complain too much.

But great game by Wicks. In addition to the PK there was the huge save right at the beginning of the second half.

Brian McDive doesn't shut up the whole game. He was chirping at the ref the whole time. I think Blanco rubbed off on him.

Posted by: fedssocr | June 14, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Normally when there's a PK called, there's a bloodthirsty cheer from the stands that's a mix of shock at the foul and vindication when the ref points to the spot. When the call came against Busch, everyone just looked around at each other in confusion as to why there was a PK. Even on the jumbotron no one could figure it out. I feel better at least that they had a make up call, and that Wicks stuffed McBride on it.

Watching Wicks game to game, I'm also seeing that he's getting better at his earlier weaknesses. He comes out stronger when he needs to, stays on his line when he needs to, and makes sure if he goes up, he comes down with the ball. I'm convinced.

Fred could probably benefit from sitting a little after last night. Some pretty spotty defending and not a whole lot going forward. With Olsen back, I'm guessing Wallace pushes out wide, or with Emilio back, Tino or Pontius comes back to the wing.

Seattle should be interesting with the turf and packed house, and I'm trying to remember the last time DC won in Colorado. It's gonna be a tough week.

Posted by: eadc | June 14, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I thought both PK calls were weak. You can justify them by the book but they're a bit ticky-tacky, especially the first one.

Kudos to Wicks. He's really stepped up and seized the opportunity--bravo for him (and us). If he continues this level of play then we're a really tough team to play against. That deal for Wicks could conceivably end up being one of the MLS most one-sided deals (I know, it's a bit early to say for sure).

I wish folks would stop the "why didn't we re-sign Gomez last year?" line. We tried. We extended deadlines 3 times. But in the end, Gomez got angry. He felt dis-respected because Luci got the DP slot. And if this year has proven anything, it's how wise management was not to guarantee Gomez for 3 years of money (this would have been the second year). Christian just had a great game. I hope it continues. But clearly he's not had an impact season. Right now, he's a good player, he's not even close to what he was 2-3-4 years ago (where he was an MVP or one of the 2-3 best field players on the roster--by a wide margin). I appreciate his contributions. But I also suspect that when it comes expansion time this offseason, Gomez will be one of the players we don't protect (Moreno and Olsen would probably be two others).

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 14, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The last PK save I can think of is Troy Perkin's in September of 2007 against Real Salt Lake. This was on the phantom penalty where Talley pulled Mctavish down in the box on a free kick and the call went the wrong way. Esky lined up for the kick and after Perkins stopped it, Perkins had some choice words to say.

Posted by: jmingus | June 14, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Im not upset because the PK's evened out. Perhaps there was a need for them to be called as well. The ref was clearly sending a message that contact in the box would not be tolerated. The referee was consistant, and i think that makes a big difference. I could swear that alot of the fouls he called werent even fouls, however he balanced the game very well. Fred needs to practice harder. He gave away a few costly balls on our side of the field, putting Wicks in a one on one situation the second time around. I also believe that we are missing too many chances on offense. The game could have been 3-1 quite a few times. We need to start putting these games away before the last 5-10 minutes. I sense it could come back to haunt us in the playoffs when there is more pressure. However it was still a great game in my book.

Posted by: g3impreza | June 14, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I didn't see the game, but based on the video, I can see why people think it should have been a no-call... and why some -- like me -- think it was a good call.

It seemed to me that Busch made more of an effort to go after Pontius than the ball. Look at where Busch ends up -- if he went after the ball, he would have gone the other way.

Forwards are routinely penalized and cautioned -- even ejected -- for being too rough on a goalkeeper. And rightly so, many times. But the opposite can also be true. Busch certainly wasn't malicious, but in my opinion, he went after Pontius, not the ball. Pointing to the spot was the right decision.

Haven't seen the other PK, so no comment there...

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 14, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

@joedoc1 and others: Comcast is replaying the Chicago/DCU match at 2pm and at 7pm today. I think they replay it again sometime tomorrow as well.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 14, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

There will be no less than three rebroadcasts on CSN/mid-Atlantic: today at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. EDT, and tomorrow at 7:00 p.m.:

On another topic, will we be seeing Ryan Nelsen on BSPN2 at 2:30 p.m.?

Posted by: universityandpark | June 14, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Mysterious red cards abound again this week...

Posted by: Reignking | June 14, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Pontius showed great tenacity and resolve last night. He was victimized on countless, brutal challenges, including almost having his leg broken from a tackle from behind by Pause (I think). Chicago was clearly targeting him and other teams will probably start to do the same. He responded well and won several key free kicks for the team.

Burch had his best game of the season. He really frustrated McBride on several occasions. Maybe three in the back can work after all?

I'm starting to like Wallace AND Simms sitting on top of the defense, as well. Wallace did a better job of staying with runners last night then he did last week.

Fred clearly is better in the middle (NE game gave a nice taste of what he can do there). But if Gomez is on form, I think its hard to justify playing Fred in that spot. This is a nice problem to have.

Vamos United!

Posted by: JaimeSegundo | June 14, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@stephen988 re: Rimando's save. I was in the first row just to the left behind the goal of that amazing game in '04. Wicks save brought memories of that match flooding back last nite. A save off McBride, HOLY sh#t. It was a fun nite at RFK. I am still smiling. Vamos United.

Posted by: Sec131 | June 14, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Awesome game last night. DCU Defense marked extremely well; of course not having Blanco falling all over the place porobably helped them concentrate on McCryBaby more though.

I agree with both PK calls. Fire's keeper had NO intention of going for the ball. My belief is that you deserve a foul if you either don't get the ball OR don't even try. So justified.

I continually wonder what DCU management sees in Fred. I know he's a pretty ball handler and every once-in-awhile makes a great run down the wing, but that role could easily be done by Santino or Pontius now. I say we should put him on notice, recoup the money and use it to pay off the DC City Council to give us a new stadium or send the scout out to find the next C. Gomez.

All-in-all though, great pace and attacking last night by United. The team is starting to find its attacking approach and it's a beautiful thing to watch.

Posted by: RegionRatDC | June 14, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The PK against Busch was an absolute shameful travesty. And I am a DCU fan. The PK call against Wicks was almost as bad, and clearly a pathetic attempt at a make-up call. The officiating ruined an otherwise wonderful game for me. MLS officiating is in serious decline, and it has never been very good.

Posted by: Ron16 | June 14, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

All in all, good win. Run, Khumalo, RUN!

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 14, 2009 3:01 AM |
-----------------------------------------------

As I wrote in the last thread -- I felt it, too. Just before McBride hit it, I said; You can get this, Josh.

It was a great game and a good effort. I still feel a bit troubled that we could not score from the run of play. It does feel a bit like Toledo gave us the game - or, at least the opportunities to do so. The team is running well with the ball, but the finishing is not there, yet. If the finishing comes, United can win this thing.

Posted by: fischy | June 14, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Both PKs questionable. The thing about that flying charge from Busch is it does cause Pontius to play his shot to the far corner and he misses. If Busch plays it honestly, Pontius might have put it on net -- might even have gone near post. I can see why Toledo called it even though contact came after the shot. 50-50 call. I feel the same about the foul and card on Segares. It could have been called a foul on Pntius. Watching it live, I thought Pontius backed into him. I think Segares got called because of the elbow to Pontius. catching him in the face. COuld have gone either way.

THe PK call on Jakovic is not one I think can be justified. There were far more questionable plays by DCU defense. Nyarko was pushed away by Burch on one corner kick. There was another play earl on where Burch got away with a lot of pulling. In short, I think it was a bad call on Jakoic. It is possible that Toledo thought he was pulled down, though it seems Nyarko deliberately slid to beat Wicks to the ball. Not a good call. Glad Wicks made the save, or we would be screaming the refs stole more points from DCU.

Posted by: fischy | June 14, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I had an awesome time, looking forward to watching the replay this evening. Perhaps a little less inebriated than I was live...;-)

Big Thanks to Smitty and Crew hooking me up with a ride home! I've got to do my homework on a more direct route, hope you folks all made it home without too much trouble!

BaRRD, we gotta connect at another home match or maybe an away game at the bar? My plans got changed a half dozen times and I was lucky to just get to RFK in time to pound a couple beers.

Great Game, Great Crowd, and a Fantastic time!.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 14, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant win by DCU. Wicks was a beast - shows what a consistant run of matches can do for your confidence and decision making. Our inability to finish several chances during the run of play is still a major issue for this team. The next couple months of the schedule will give us a better indication if this team is a contender or a pretender.

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | June 14, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could've been at the Vintage Monument to Sport (aka RFK) last night. It's weekends like this that makes having moved out of the DC area tougher.

One has to wonder, after a while, whether Fred is worth the 200k+. It's good to have depth though with all of the games coming up, but maybe Fred should feature more in Open Cup and other matches than starting during the regular season Crayton is certainly on the way out in a couple of weeks . I'd still like to see another defender come in to provide depth. But that said, I'm very pleasantly surprised to DC being in the position they are right now.

The next few games on the road, fairly tough ones at that, will go a long ways to showing how much this team has progressed.

Posted by: diego_r | June 14, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Last night was a great exhibition for the league, poor officiating or no. Both teams wanted to attack; us via our typical possession game, Chicago via a more direct style. Both teams tackled hard, but aside from the tackle that Pause was booked for and Thorrington's late hack on Quaranta (which absolutely, unquestionably, was worthy of a 2nd yellow card; it was much worse than what he got his first booking for, and he'd since committed a foul possibly worth a yellow on top of that) it was a clean, honest game between two teams trying to do things the right way.

I disagree with SG's ratings somewhat, but not much. Essentially, I think for the whole team to be so highly rated across the board (bar Fred and N'Silu), we should have won 4-0 in style. Let's not forget that Chicago was, at worst, even with us in the 1st half (we edged the 2nd half, but not by much). Obviously it took a good effort from us, but we weren't brilliant. Like fischy says, if we can sharpen up our finishing (Quaranta, Pontius, Fred...I'm looking your way) we're going to be a real contender. Until then, we're not quite there yet.

My ratings: Wicks 8.5; Namoff 7, Jakovic 7, Burch 7; Quaranta 5, Simms 5.5, Wallace 6, Fred 4; Gomez 7; Moreno 6, Pontius 6. Subs: N'Silu 5, Khumalo 6, John 6.

Fred, after a good run of form, was arguably the poorest player on either side. He took up poor starting points offensively and defensively, and failed to make his usual, unpredictable impact on the match. He was also the player who made the largest mistake on Pappa's goal (which was high quality, but still preventable). I thought we got little out of him on either flank. It just wasn't his night on the ball or mentally.

Khumalo showed enough to earn more time. N'Silu had good flashes (good run onto Party Boy's through ball, a couple nice moments dribbling), but followed them up with either a mistake or, in the case of his attempted finish, a moment where he should have done slightly better. Wicks was obviously man of the match, and looks like a completely different person to the guy that struggled in LA (and in his first couple appearances here). I also liked Wallace's performance; at this point, I like him as our 2nd choice to Olsen. He's all action, and brings an aggressive edge that our other options there don't (even McTavish). Sure, he's a natural wide player, but in terms of finding a partner for Simms I think he's our best non-Olsen bet.

Hopefully Wicks (who was struggling from his collision with Nyarko on the PK incident onward) and Moreno are just dealing with small knocks. It would be a big disappointment to slow our current rate of improvement down.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 14, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and on the controversial calls:

If ours was a penalty, then every MLS game would feature at least 2 penalties a night. Most would have 4 or more. Since we've been screwed more than once, I feel no sympathy for Chicago, but let's be honest: that goes uncalled 99 out of 100 times. We'd be furious if Wicks had been called for the same thing.

Theirs was clearly a make-up call. It was incredibly soft. Even Hamlett admitted that. Still, Jakovic should probably not be reaching out like that, since he gave the ref the opening to give them the make-up call. Lucky for us, Wicks was up to the task.

As for the foul that lead to Gomez's freekick, I think Chicago should really pay attention to what referees are being told to focus on. Arms to the head are a huge focus point right now, and Segares put his arm to Party Boy's head. If you put your arm to someone's face, head, or neck, you lose your ability to complain. Refs are cracking down league-wide on that, and it comes up all the time.

Since the penalties for me were both non-calls, they cancel out; my focus is more on Thorrington finishing the game. I have nothing against him (actually, I really identify with how he plays; I play the same way at an infinitely lower level), but he got a by-the-book yellow card, then committed a foul of at least equal severity to the one that got him booked, and then late on he took Quaranta out from behind, completely needlessly and out of tone with the game. That's the kind of foul that, not properly punished, leads to revenge tackles and on-field fights (note: I realize that ultimately the players choose those things, but a ref can certainly cool things off or heat things up with his choices). Toledo had to stand up and give him his second card there, even if he was regretting pulling the first one out so quickly.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 14, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: carmines757 | June 14, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse
You should shut up unless you play goalkeeper and have never gone the wrong way on the penalty kick.

By phyics the gk only has a chance if he guesses and his guess is normally dumb luck.

You want to see someone make a gk look stupid?
Watch Cantona's 19 PK goals in the EPL, 17 times he made the keeper the wrong way and only once did he get stopped.

Posted by: BBFunnyMan | June 14, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

So am I the only one who saw Burch's blown tackle as the prime culprit for Chicago's first goal?

Posted by: alecw81 | June 14, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Wicks impressed last night. Amazing game by him.

Both teams played well. The second PK, it was obviously a make up call. It's fine. Did anyone see Wicks almost drop the F bomb in the after game interview? "It was McBride, I mean....." Almost dropped it. But saved himself.

Awesome game by both teams. Meh, the reffing, in my opinion, is always suspect. Cant change that.

Great victory for DC United. First place where we belong. :)

Posted by: dogboy | June 14, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

DCU post game LIVE -- Russ: "take me through the PK..."
J Wicks: "It's McBride f%@£ excuse my language ... um" Yes JW did drop the f-bomb, I replayed my dvr to make sure. Also played hurt and stayed in the match so not to burn a sub. Quality -- Be Champions :)

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | June 14, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time that SI gave a DCU player a 9 rating? 2_birds_1_stone asked. Jaime Moreno had a great game this spring and a 9.

Posted by: aardvark63 | June 14, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

For those who thought either penalty were correctly called, all I have to say is I hope you're not referees. Terrible calls by the ref, one of the worst performances by a ref this year in MLS, Machinik needs to get this under control.

Posted by: owendylan | June 14, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alecw81 | June 14, 2009 2:59 PM |
---------------------------------------------

Chicago scored only one goal, and, yup, you are the only one. Burch might have reacted sooner, but Pappa was the guy Fred went out to defend. He did not get back to stay with him. Burch did not miss a tackle. He might have got there late, but he did not have a chance to stop Pappa when he did.

@owendylan -- I did not say it was a good call. I was just saying that getting to watch TV replay I saw what I did not see at the game. It was a reckless challenge. I would not have called a penalty, but I see why Toledo might have seen one.

Posted by: fischy | June 15, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Why does everyone think the PK call against Busch was wrong?

If a player takes out another player without playing the ball its a foul. It doesn't matter that Pontius was still able to shoot, he was taken down by a reckless challange. Let say the situation occured between two field players at midfield? Is it not a foul? So the mere fact that it occured between a keeper and a forward in the box, doesn't negate the foul occuring, PK all the way. It's true that you don't see many refs making that call, but that still doesn't make it not a foul. Give the ref kudos for making that call.

Posted by: o35_still_kicking | June 15, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

The call against Busch was correct. It was clearly a foul. If you want to argue that it shouldn't have been a penalty on the grounds that Pontius had already shot the ball, that's fine. But if you're not going to call the penalty then you have to red card Busch. Bottom line, you don't get a free foul just because the guy doesn't have the ball anymore. A foul is a foul.

Posted by: Matte | June 16, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse