United Rewind

I will always love RFK -- warts, rats, cats and all. I have been dazzled by Toronto and enjoy a cool Southern California evening at Home Depot Center. But Seattle is the total package. Well, almost. While Qwest Field's artificial turf is of higher quality than, say, Giants Stadium's, it's still a synthetic surface. Okay, enough complaining.

The good stuff: Almost every supporter has a jersey or scarf. Most folks are standing throughout the match. The streets around the stadium are buzzing with vendors and shops. The energy inside is unparalleled. There's a marching band, for goodness sake! You can walk to the ballpark from downtown or use the nearby rail station. Although it was built to accommodate NFL-sized crowds, Qwest, thanks to its design, offers an initimate environment for soccer. And did I mention 29,000-plus turned out for a mid-week MLS game? How many Saturday nights would Dallas need to match that total?

Best of all, a national TV audience was able to witness MLS at its best. (We're talking about presentation, not DCU's defending or Seattle's inability to finish off a game.) What? The College World Series game ran long? And ESPN2 joined DCU-Seattle in progress in the second half and then replayed it in the middle of the night when everyone was fast asleep? Oof. Go to the MLS Web site for video highlights.

As for the match, an expertly volleyed goal by Pontius, a rocket by Alonso, clean finishes by Montero and Gomez, and two own goals. Wicks was spectacular again, although he said he should have done better with Alonso's strike from 30 yards. Conversely, it was not a good night for Burch. Fred strained an adductor muscle; he will be evaluated Thursday but don't expect him to play Saturday at Colorado.

Read my match report.

For player ratings and a DCU stadium update, continue reading this thread.....

PLAYER RATINGS
Wicks 7.5; Namoff 6, Jakovic 4.5, Burch 3; Pontius 7, Simms 5, Jacobson 5, Fred 5, Wallace 5; Quaranta 7, Emilio 5. Subs: N'Silu 5, Gomez 7, Khumalo 5.

What's up with DCU's stadium efforts? Read here. Try not to spit out your coffee when you see this quote: "If you take a look at where Major League Soccer is finding success, it's in suburban areas as opposed to urban areas."

Seattle destroys that argument.

By Steve Goff  |  June 18, 2009; 4:08 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight #15: United-Sounders
Next: Matchday: USA-Brazil

Comments

Goff...Again...so after reading your article on the game...you missed it also.

Montero didn't score after collecting a loose ball...he gracefully took a perfect pass from Emilio and beat the one defender between him and the goal.

Don't mean to harp on it...but Emilio needs to be recognized for his utter crap effort.

I wore my DC jersey proud in that stadium and our team played like a bunch of girls...we got lucky.

so yeah....i'm pissed....

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | June 18, 2009 5:30 AM | Report abuse

In case my wicks comments didn't show. He played great...and I wish that he'd stop berating his defenders.

I was at the game...so I saw what probably none of you did...he calmly chased down Jackovic (sp?) at the halftime whistle and proceeded to yell at him...apparently blaming him for the first two goals. He stuck two fingers in Jackovic's face. Totally classless....I...as a GK would never do that to my defender...especially my centerback.

Wicks...played great....YES!!!!we finally have a GK that we can trust....but....

he needs to stop ripping...yelling at his defenders. It didn't seem that any of them really listened to him...they all seemed slow to react to his direction.....

Posted by: matthewjfyoungs | June 18, 2009 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Just watched the game on Armed Forces Television. That middle of the night tape delay was perfectly timed for my European morning.

That was the best MLS game I have ever seen. The movers packing up my household effects tended to stall every time they passed the room with the TV. Portuguese blue collar folks very impressed with Seattle's chanting and passion.

While I'm very glad DCU got the draw, Ljungberg, Montero, and Jacqua looked like they were toying with our backline. I get to spend July in Seattle, so I've got to get over to Qwest for more than just the Chelsea game.

Yet, Seattle does indeed destroy the argument that soccer should be in the suburbs, BUT SO DOES RFK! See y'all in August.

Posted by: troy6 | June 18, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

oh, on the scarf thing: Seattle folks wear them because it is often cold and rainy enough to need them. Scarves became popular in Europe because they play in the winter. MLS plays in the summer, so no sense faulting, say, FC Dallas fans (the both of them) for not wearing scarves in July. Besides, there are so many other good reasons to fault them.

Posted by: troy6 | June 18, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Emilio played just as poorly if not more so than Jakovic and Burch.

Emilio: 4

Posted by: redskinsux | June 18, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse

I thought Jakovic had some decent plays, the defense was leaky, but I think that had more to do with Burch and the defensive midfielders not doing their jobs with a 3-5-2. I would have given him a solid 5 at worst. Emilio was completely absent from the game easily a 4. N'Silu was ineffective as always though he did run a lot, but still a 4, it's not a track meet.

Posted by: bighungry | June 18, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Didn't catch the match last night, but just watched the highlights. Is that Glenn Davis with the PBP?

What a schmuck. Did you hear him say "The United" right before Gomez scores?

How can you pretend to be a professional broadcaster in get something so basic wrong?

Posted by: bluesfan1 | June 18, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

After reading that stadium piece, I kinda want the stadium in Loudoun and call it the Birth of the Cool.

Posted by: Section117 | June 18, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

burch 2
nsilu 4
emilio 5

gomez and pontius men of the match
jakovic erratic
made some great plays and made some awful plays
burch just crap

that should have been a set piece outside the box for us in the last few minutes of the game.

Posted by: castroviejo | June 18, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

So, I'm very happy I didn't stay up to watch the game. ESPN didn't begin their coverage until the second half? Oh well, their coverage sucks anyways. Listening to Alexi Lalas talk reminds me of nightmares I used to have about satan. I'm not even going to begin on the broadcasting or studio player name-botching.

Very happy, however, to see United get a point on the road. A 3-3 thriller makes me wish I had Tivo, but highlights will suffice. Wicks is a blessing, even though he is a meathead.

Still can't wrap my head around MLS's persistence on having games so late, especially when one of the teams is the most followed team east of the Mississippi.

Posted by: adamsunited | June 18, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else see the beer bottle that was hurled at Wicks in the end of the game? What is the MLS's policy on this sort of thing? I

think the best punishment would have to be to play behind closed doors.

Posted by: pino149 | June 18, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

What a schmuck. Did you hear him say "The United" right before Gomez scores?

Posted by: bluesfan1 | June 18, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

----------------------------

Yeah, I heard that. It was right after he said "Robbie Wallace" and right before he said "Gomez skips the ball past Wicks for the United goal."

These idiots are infuriating...especially after I suffered that dreadful baseball game and missed over half on the United match.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | June 18, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have a link to this stadium survey? I certainly would like to register my opinion on suburban stadiums.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | June 18, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Regarding suburban stadia, Toronto showed the advantages to siting a stadium downtown before Seattle. Charleston too, for that matter. And as josh6 says, RFK has historically drawn pretty wel. Having a stadium in-town hasn't hurt attendance much in En-ger-land, either.

As to the game, I get up at 4:45 each morning and gave up midway through the tenth inning. I did watch the highlights (thanks for the link) and wondered if Emilio was credited with an assist on Gomez' goal? He's the reason the Seattle defender couldn't close down the shot...

Posted by: StevanF | June 18, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

If I had winged monkeys, I think y'all know where they'd be headed. ESPN should be flat out ashamed of themselves, should be begging forgiveness, and should have the commentators decapitated for saying "What a great game" OVER AND OVER.

That being said, if everyone is hating on Emilio, he had an assist on Gomez's goal. Believe it or not, he's been making passes like that all season, only they haven't been finished.

Two own goals? Is the galaxy becoming fair?

But wait, I forget.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 18, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to hear Garber's take on the ESPN fiasco.

On a much cooler note, six members of Iran's national team wore green wristbands last night apparently in support of Mousavi.

Posted by: addick | June 18, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AtlantaMLS
===================================

Posted by: emanon13 | June 18, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I have to - sadly - agree that Emilio was the worst player on the pitch. Beyond the lack of offensive play, he consistently gave up the ball in dangerous midfield positions. At least one poor pass led directly to a goal by the Sounders. He needs some time on the bench.

Posted by: starrss | June 18, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Wicks is a beast. Jackovic didn't play very well last night though tbh and Burch moved back into the defensive liability status. If we REALLY want an attacking defender who will ACTUALLY defend lets cut the crap and put Wallace back there. It looked like Schmid was out to expose our decision to use the 3 man back line, Seattle had no trouble finding space in behind us. DC and myself really need Gomez to be fit enough to play 90.

Posted by: jdickinson187 | June 18, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Garber writes a blog. It may be the first time I read it if he talks about this. If he just covers ESPN's butt, I shall not be happy.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 18, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Charleston too, for that matter.

Posted by: StevanF | June 18, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

-------------------------

Wait a minute. Charleston, SC?! Don't you have to have an urban center before actually having suburbs? And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Blackbaud along Charleston's "beltway"? I would not call that downtown siting.

Not saying it isn't hard to get to from downtown Charleston, but I'd say that the stadium's location is about as suburban as Charleston gets...

Posted by: combedge | June 18, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

A thought from the drab wet light of the morning:

A draw, on the road, after a 2 goal deficit, on turf, in a hostile boisterous stadium, without Moreno & Olsen, and Fred, Emilio, and Gomez playing partial minutes.

Not too bad...

Posted by: JkR- | June 18, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

OT: http://www.cnbc.com/id/31424052

Cristiano Ronaldo's penchant for super-tight shorts has created a new market for retailers that could soon dwarf the soccer star's 80-million-pound ($131 million) transfer to Real Madrid.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

UntedDemon: That was N'Silu who assisted on Gomez' goal, not Emilio.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | June 18, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: combedge

Blackbaud Stadium is not remotely near downtown -- 30 minutes away. It is on Daniel Island, which has only recently (last 15-20 years?) been developed, when 526 (Charleston's "beltway") opened.

So Troy, we're losing our Portugal correspondent?

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Before we start a love affair with Seattle, what about that bottle at the end of the game? Just glad we got the late equalizer and sent a bunch of hipster idiots home unhappy.

Posted by: pigmansweet | June 18, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Interesting note on the scarves in Seattle - the scarves were the ticket (instead of an actual paper ticket) to the season opener so everyone has one. Makes for an awesome sight on TV

Posted by: edgecrush7 | June 18, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Just realized the US game is coming up soon. Guess I'll have to stick my head in the sand until tonight.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Can this be the unofficial board for US-Brazil comments?

Beasley is in the starting line-up. We are doomed. I predict he is responsible for atleast 1 Brazil goal all by himself.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 18, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Goff just created a thread.

Posted by: Reignking | June 18, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Could this be the greatest quote ever relating to anything Major League Soccer? I know the "60-90 day" quotes up in NY/NJ were quite memorable, but this one may take the cake.

Posted by: Hoost | June 18, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

That donut Cepero is beating Wicks' PK save for Save Of The Week (Week 13).

Vote by 2 PM today:

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 18, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"It might be better to say that public financing, in this climate, might be a non-starter," Howard said. "It might stop the conversation from even beginning."

Exactly. Wake up and smell the coffee already.

Posted by: OWNTF | June 18, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I was extremely impressed with Seattle last night. They're a good team. If they can keep Schmidt around for a while, they'll be a strong team. But what really impressed me was their fans. They're loud and plentyful. I wish every team in the league could get support like that (especially for a mid-week game). It really makes you wonder the impact of playing in an urban setting.

Posted by: TCompton | June 18, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

1. At some point, when a team repeatedly comes back to earn difficult or impossible results, the team starts to believe that they are a team of "destiny" and begins to expect the impossible. The team doesn't panic when it gets down. I think DCU is developing this kind of mindset.

2. Glad that Wicks continues to stand strong and tall in goal. Not glad he berates his defenders. I can't tell you if it works or not, it's definitely not my style or MO.

3. I'm with JrK on this one. We're a terrible turf team. It's on the road. Fred goes out, Jaime is home, Gomez plays only a half, Jakovic is playing poorly. This is a match that we'd have lost in just about any other year.

The last piece of the puzzle is for Emilio to get confident and hot. A hot goal scorer goes a long way to covering up a lot of mistakes and ills--you steal points against the run of play, you force teams to adapt to you and therefore ditch there prefered scheme, the rest of the team gets confident and plays with elan'.

That said, we've got two rough stretches coming up. This is one (3 road games, one at altitude, 2 on turf) in 7 days. And then the CL/MLS congestion. I'll be content with a lot of ties during those stretches as we inevitably have to rest a lot of people (including Wicks, Simms, Pontius, Gomez).

Posted by: JoeW1 | June 18, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Emilio was so ineffective last night that when he was subbed out I was surprised because I had forgotten he was on the pitch.

Posted by: HarkesyRules | June 18, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

ESPN2 began their coverage with 20 minutes left in the game. They leave alot to be desired.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 18, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

That's the advantage of waiting for ESPN2, you don't have the gripes about the players because they don't show the game they promised.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 18, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Loudoun? ugh. Baltimore is a better location than Loudoun. That way you know the 40 minute drive is a road trip to another town.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 18, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

About the stadium issue... Did anyone else see the WPL interview with Fenty last week? He brought Poplar Point and the RFK area back to the table during the interview. In addition, he claimed that DCU was not going to leave the District because something would get worked out. As for Loudoun, Baltimore and Loudoun are equi-distant from downtown DC so it's a horrible choice but better than nothing if it comes to that.

Burch was horrendous....

Why didn't ESPN move the telecast to ESPNClassic during the overrun as they usually do?

Posted by: blackandred777 | June 18, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Kyle Martino was awful as a color commentator.

He could identify the players - AT ALL! I was pleased to hear that Gomez scored on Wicks...

He used worn out cliches and adjectives. You could tell he did not preparep at all to call the game. Utterly worthless.

Posted by: ErickSp8 | June 18, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

A fun match to watch last night (actually this morning, through ESPN360.com). To think we'd score the final two goals in an away match with 30,000 fans without Olsen or Moreno and with Emilio having a subpar match (and substituted out). We have some depth on our team.

I am concerned about Wicks yelling at his defenders, but I'm very glad to see him emerge as our No. 1 keeper.

Posted by: billindmd | June 18, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

While I hope DC stays in the city as well, I'm pretty sure the Eastern Loudoun site they're likely considering is the site where Northern Virginia baseball was going to build if they got the Expos instead of the city. That's at Route 28 on the Loudoun/Fairfax line and will have a Metro stop in 2016. Road access is very good there as well and the site hasn't been developed yet. At this point, no stadium is going to be open before 2012 or 2013 even if they got a deal soon and you figure optimistically it'll probably another year before anything is worked out with the current economy.

Posted by: thrh1 | June 18, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

But I live in downtown DC. Honestly, I will never go to a game in Loudoun. It's just too far. I wasnt joking, I would be more likely to go to a game in baltimore then i would in loudoun. midweek games would be impossible and weekend games would turn into all day events. fairfax is as far (in VA) as i am willing to go. with loudoun we arent even talking suburbs anymore we're talking exurbs.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Season ticket holders weren't the only people who were given scarves in Seattle:
they gave hella away.

And on the subject of Charleston: Blackbaud stadium is AWESOME, but there isn't even a way to get there by bus. YOU HAVE TO DRIVE there. YOu can't ride a bike there, I investigated all of those options, and when I went down for the Challenge Cup I was lucky enough to get my wife to drop me off at the tailgate and also stoked to catch a ride with some Barra back to my hotel.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 18, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | June 18, 2009 7:28 AM

------------------------------------------------

Section 117 is referring to this, from the stadium article:

""This is an up-and-coming sport in Northern Virginia, and this would be an incredible affirmation that this is a place that has a great fan base that can support a stadium," said Miles Davis,"

How can you argue with Miles Davis? The man was a genius.

And Section 117 gets major props, for one of the wittiest comments I have ever read on this, or any blog.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdickinson187 | June 18, 2009 9:07 AM
-----------------------------------------------

Indeed. You should read Ljundberg's pre-game comments about why the 3-man backline disappeared from Europe and how to beat it. They definitely had a game-plan for attacking it.

I've got no problem with Wicks giving Jackovic a tongue-lashing. He didn't play smart, but he didn't hustle much in the first half either. At least, in the second half, he hustled and made some plays because of it.

Emilio? It's too bad his contract doesn't expire when Crayton's does. Because he's the DP, he'll keep getting starts, but he doesn't really deserve them right now. matthewjfyoungs correctly points out -- his turnover led right to a Seattle goal. He should have been sat down, at that point. If he wants a good deal somewhere next year, he's going to have to find a way to step it up.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Can this be the unofficial board for US-Brazil comments?

Posted by: FrancoNiell | June 18, 2009 9:27 AM

very prescient of you. he was.

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | June 18, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@jdickinson187:

Here's Ljundberg's pre-game comments about attacking DCU's 3-man backline:

"Ljungberg believes that if Sounders FC are able to stuff their opponents into their defensive third, then they can claim the majority of the possession and, hopefully, score a goal or two more than their opposition.

"It's not very common in Europe, it's almost died out," Ljungberg said of the 3-5-2 formation. "You want to push back their -- if you call them the wingbacks -- you really want to make it a 5-3-2. Normally, if you push them down, they can't get (the ball) out unless they kick it out.""

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 18, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure you're a nice person and all, but as one who lives in Loudoun and comes to all the games now, I've got to say that you should tough it up (if such a proposition were to happen).

@Fischy: Thanks. I was just trying to make contact with the ball.

Posted by: Section117 | June 18, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

re: with loudoun we arent even talking suburbs anymore we're talking exurbs.

Certainly DC is the best location and hopefully something will end up there. Either Loudoun or Montgomery or any other suburb will likely have some people feeling it's too far or too inconvienent. But they can't stay at RFK and have to move somewhere. Loudoun is not a central suburb true, but the NoVa baseball site location is just over the Loudoun line from Herndon in western Fairfax. It's about 10 minutes drive from Reston and about 15 minutes drive from Tyson's Corner most of the time. Any other Loudoun locations would likely be just past Dulles airport probably still on the Metro line. Some of the Montgomery County locations mentioned such as the SoccerPlex are further from DC mileage-wise, have less road access currently and no public transit access now or planned.

Posted by: thrh1 | June 18, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Seattle destroys that argument.
By Steve Goff | June 18, 2009; 4:08 AM ET
=====================

I think the speaker means success [in building new stadiums] is in suburbia.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 18, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

here as a Sounders fan who says we should of scored 2 more goals if it wasn't for your goalie. He was on fire. I like the way D.C. plays. Your players played hard and fair. There wasn't any cheap shots..well maybe one;), but I think Espn messed up by not showing one of the best MLS games of the year. It's a total disrespect to the game. I don't know if everyone in Bristol is stuck in the dark ages of baseball and American football? I have been a Sounder fan for at least 10 years and we have great support. Management figured it out quick: listen to the fans! Yes we have fake turf and it's just ok but everything else the Sounders have done has been in sync with the fan base. Check out http://www.soundersfc.com/ and just look through the site and forums to get a peak of how the fans and management interact. If you can have your stadium as close to the city core as possible....it creates unity. One other thing as part of every Sounders season ticket package we have received 3 extra tickets. We did not know in the beginning of the season what games would be brought to us. Now we know: Chelsea, Barca and the MLS cup final!!!! it's great to be a Sounder!! See ya in the cup final ;) SOUNDERS TIL I DIE

Posted by: goldengod2012 | June 18, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@goldengod -- DCUnited also included exttra tickets in the season plan -- unfortunately, they weren't "freebies". Also, the team saw fit to use 2 (or 1, if you have a half-season plan) for Open Cup games. The rest -- I assume -- will be for the CCL, though I'm holding a ticket for a game TBA on Dec. 3rd. It would have been nice if the Real Madrid game were included, but I understand the need to recoup the investment in bringing them here. The Sounders have the advantage in selling twice as many tickets to MLS games.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@thrh1 -- DC United is not mentioning the Soccerplex. You've made that up out of whole cloth. The survey asks about lower Montgomery County, and identifies 3 possible locations: Silver Spring, Wheaton and Rockville. Obviously, United realizes that the Soccerplex is too far out, without any transit access. The locals probably would block any expansion, even if United were considering it -- which they are not doing.

The Montgomery County sites would be awesome -- they're not far out of town, at all (by Metro, they're no farther from Metro Center than the Morgan Blvd. site), and they're fairly urban. They do suffer from one glaring problem: the traffic nightmare for drivers having to deal with 495 or 270.

Posted by: fischy | June 18, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section117 | June 18, 2009 1:29 PM
---------------------------------------------

Im sure you're a nice person as well and I applaud your dedication which I fully admit that I would not match.

There is a reason you live in Loudoun and I live in DC. Primarily that I am not willing to make the trade off on commute/driving times. Unfortunately, this leaves me with a simple one bedroom apt, no yard and no garage.

A move to Loudoun is more then just a psychological hurdle (like PG would have been for many) but a practical and logistical impossibility for myself and many of my urbanized compatriots.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 18, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Wicks 7.5, Namoff 5, Jakovic 3, Burch 4, Simms 4.5, Jacobson 4, Wallace 5, Pontius 7, Quaranta 7.5, Fred 5, Emilio 5.
Subs: N'Silu 5, Gomez 7.5, Khumalo 6

Posted by: GoUnited | June 18, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty harsh to just blame Jakovic and Burch. Jakovic had an up and down night; made some big plays, but got drawn out of position just as often. Burch just straight up struggled with the movement of Seattle's dynamic attack. However, I think that our defensive midfield was just as, if not moreso, culpable. Simms, Jacobson, and Wallace were all in there, and none ever came to grips with the positional switching instigated by Ljungberg. With Jaqua and Montero both shifting back into midfield, and Ljungberg and Le Toux pushing on, we needed better communication and quicker thinking than we got on the night.

I disagree to the severity of the beating Emilio is taking here. We really didn't play a game that helps him out. Sure, you still have to make your mark on the game (especially as a DP), but you also have to credit Seattle's approach and the defensive work of Hurtado and Marshall. On the night, they had Emilio's number. What's good is that, unlike past anonymous performances (think early last year), Emilio still did get involved in a goal by basically winning a tackle to get Gomez the ball on our 2nd goal. That's hard work that only some people here seem to be recognizing.

Fortunately for us, Wicks was strong again and our finishing was much more clinical than it has been in recent weeks. In previous games, we would have needed many more chances to produce 3 goals. That we did it without Moreno, with Fred leaving early, with Gomez only in for a half, and with Emilio being marked out of the game, is a tremendous statement for our supposedly secondary attacking players.

I'd also like to mention that Seattle played a great game. They attacked, they swapped positions in a very troubling fashion, and really put us to a severe test. I thought it was the best anyone's played against us all year. What's great about that is that we still found a way to stay close and get something out of the game. Like JoeW said, there is a real belief forming with this team that losing is just not going to happen. I know the popular thing here is to wait for the moment we have a poor game and demand Soehn's firing, but you really have to credit him, the rest of the coaches, and our veteran players for fostering this kind of spirit. This isn't something that just happens.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 18, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

To the person who asked about the beer. Did you see what happened before the beer. Wicks mooned the Seattle fans.... twice. While wasting time. I wonder what HIS punishment will be. Although the beer was bad behavior on the part of the fans he let the booing get to him. I hope he gets punished.

Posted by: tsuchiya | June 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PindarPushkin | June 18, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I felt like that about DC for the longest time, so I know and respect the hurdle.

I can always see how many of the urbanites can fit into the Honda from the Vienna Metro...?

Posted by: Section117 | June 18, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tsuchiya | June 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see what happened before the beer, but I sure read a crap ton of slanderous talk about Wicks on goalseattle.com. Calling him a dead beat dad, and such. I've heard that he's even had chants/songs focusing on the same off the field issues. Pretending like you guys haven't piled on him when he was with the White Caps and the Timbers would be a lie wouldn't it? I couldn't care less if he took a dump on the stupid XBox 360 Pitch and wiped his backside with a Sounders scarf.

The dude is provoked and you got a reaction. Throwing projectiles at the field is a crime. He can pay a fine, but kooks trying to be hooligans and throwing crap onto the field should be thrown out of the stadium for life. Players get red cards throwing, or kicking stuff onto the field.

Quit sticking up for wanna be hooliganism, it's hella corny and makes you look like a tool... Or at the very least a poser.

Posted by: DadRyan | June 18, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

at least the Seattle press mentioned the frustration of trying to see the game If you weren't at the stadium. Yes I fell asleep during the baseball game around minute 50 based on texts. & I never saw the update that it was being replayed at 1am. Not that it would have done much good due to work... And I had to work today so a 11am replay does me no good.

Posted by: mmsq | June 19, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse