USA-Italy Countdown

USA vs. Italy
Confederations Cup group play
Kickoff: 2:30 p.m. ET.
TV: ESPN, Galavision (live), ESPN2 (tape at 10 p.m.).

*USA defender Carlos Bocanegra is questionable with a hamstring injury suffered late in the Honduras qualifier. Italy star defender Fabio Cannavaro is out, while central back Nicola Legrottaglie is doubtful.

*The Insider is hearing that USA defender Oguchi Onyewu, a free agent who is hoping to parlay quality Confederations Cup performances into a fat contract, has drawn interest from Hamburg and Birmingham City. Gooch already turned down an offer from Moenchengladbach this spring/summer.

*The USA's 4-5-1 lineup vs. Italy at the 2006 World Cup: Keller; Cherundolo, Onyewu, Pope, Bocanegra; Dempsey (Beasley), Mastroeni, Reyna, Donovan, Convey (Conrad); McBride.

*In the Confederations Cup, all 23 players are permitted to be in uniform (18 for World Cup qualifiers), which means 12 players on the bench are eligible for the three substitutions. Click here for the USA roster. Who would you like to see in the USA lineup? Howard, Onyewu, Spector, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, Altidore.....

*One of the lasting images of the previous USA-Italy encounter was Brian McBride's bloodied face, the result of Daniele De Rossi's elbow. Reflecting on the incident in Corriere dello Sport the other day, De Rossi said: "It is the blackest page of my career, something I will carry with me also when I retire. The error caused me to grow up. Now I accept the criticism that came my way at that time with more serenity." Watch it again:

By Steve Goff  |  June 15, 2009; 9:30 AM ET
Categories:  Confederations Cup , Italy , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS Observations
Next: Poll: USA-Italy

Comments

Brought over from the last thread:

Goal.com reported Italia line up:

Buffon, Grosso, Legrottaglie, Chiellini, Zambrotta, Gattuso, De Rossi, Pirlo, Camoranesi, Gilardino, Iaquinta

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 15, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

GK: Howard
CD: Onyewu
CD: DeMerit (Bocanegra if healthy)
RB: Spector
LB: Bornstein
CM: Bradley
CM: Clark
RM: Feilhaber
LM: Donovan
F: Altidore
F: Dempsey

Posted by: no_recess | June 15, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I agree with no_recess's lineup.

GO USA!

Posted by: Cerealman | June 15, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I still have a headache from yesterday's horns. I'm not sure how I'll make it through all of the matches next year.

Posted by: sitruc | June 15, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else get an "Invalid parameters." error for the video?

Posted by: sitruc | June 15, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

man, it is really nice being able to set your DVR on the interwebs, I thought this game was tonight for some dumb reason, thanks for pointing out the time.

Now I just have to hope like mad setting it worked, like everything else on the 'net, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

I'd like to see donovan in an actual attacking role as opposed to the dumb place we played him last match. Glad we brought some younger guys to get them a taste of higher competition and the training that surrounds a tough tournament. On that same thought, I hope Adu gets some decent playing time. I'd like to see him given a "sink or swim" ultimatum, see how he handles it - so far he seems to always cave under pressure - I'd like to know if that's going to be the case for the WC cycle, and if so, work him off the team now - or will he finally answer the call and be something he's always promised he could be......

I'd like to see Wynne ....... stay on the bench.

Posted by: dcufan | June 15, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Who would you like to see in the USA lineup? Howard, Onyewu, Spector, Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, Altidore....."

Looks like you got the first 7 right. I guess I'll add Demerit for Boca, Feilhaber with Bradley (still the most gifted passer of the ball the US has, showed enough against Honduras to merit another shot with Edu out and Mastro clearly on the out), Bornstein out left (it's a shame that he's our best option out there), and Davies up top.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Clark in the middle of the field (tremendous against Honduras) or Adu up top (always seems to play better against top competition).

Posted by: psps23 | June 15, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

If this game keeps up it's current rate, Brazil will win approximately 17-9

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 15, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Now I know where Blanco _really_ was -- helping the Brazilians brush up on their diving skills. They're going down as easy as Taylor Twellman.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Silly me for thinking the kickoff wouldn't be right on time...

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to declare SPOILER ALERT for the Brazil-Egypt game here...

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Why does de Rossi have to sound so contrite and mature? It really takes the fun out of hating him!

Posted by: catymac | June 15, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Pope?? Is Eddie back?

Posted by: VirginiaFan | June 15, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Haroldgut | June 15, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

According to several sources, we are going to see Clark and Bradley in the middle, Altidore up top, and Feilhaber (or, if we are supremely unlucky, Klejstan) with every other position fairly obvious.

Well I don't suppose we were going to see anything better.

Although, am I the only one who remembers the spooky inclusion of Adu into Monaco's match with Juventus, but he played so poorly that he managed to lose his footing in the PK box... having dribbled the defenders silly and getting decked by one of them. That was the only goal earned by Monaco that night. But I'm sure that didn't impress anybody.

I'm hoping that Italy brings some hubris to this match. (They are already bringing delusion, as Giusseppe is not in the line up. Not till you're 30).

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 15, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I know Egypt is down, but they look very impressive and creative. This is why people complain about the US squad -- its fine to qualify for the WC, and to win your matches at home, but we just can't play at a higher level.

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking

Totally agree, and keep in mind this is vs. Brazil and Egypt is missing one of their most influential players. After seeing them in last year's African Cup of Nations, I suspect they'll be able to take the US out.

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 15, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be surprised if Kljestan finds his stride in this tournament. While everyone seems focused on Gooch "showcasing" his talent, I get a feeling Emo has got the fire in his belly.
I wish them all luck. Go USA!

Posted by: DadRyan | June 15, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Who has seen this? 2 goals for Egypt in a minute to equalize.

No, I don't think we are beating them...

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 15, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic work by Egypt for #2!

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

two goals in a minute, unreal

Posted by: koolcaio | June 15, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

And Zidan with a rocket for #3!!!!

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

If you're at work, it's time to tune the interweb to Brazil/Egypt, since it's now 3-3 at the 60 minute mark!

Posted by: edgeonyou | June 15, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Haroldgut | June 15, 2009 10:46 AM
__________________________________________

This statement may be true, but I'm still not sure whether the fourth team is the USA or Egypt. I would amend this to say that four of the top five teams are in one group. (For the record, I formulated this comment before Egypt scored twice just now.)

Posted by: universityandpark | June 15, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

RE: our style of play

How does everyone on here feel about Bob Bradley?

He is obviouly one of the best American coaches, but I feel he relies too much on defensive structure and set pieces. You can win games with the two, but rarely will you go deep into international tournements without a real attacking presence -- something we have not had in a good while.

What do you guys think?

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 15, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Egypt really turning on the style. Did I just type that?! Amazing what a few goals does to the confidence. I would love to see them take out Brazil. I always detest Brazil's arrogance.

Posted by: EssEff | June 15, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

If Egypt wins this, the headlines should read: Mohamed Leads Egypt to the Promised Land.

Then the editors should take their phones off the hook.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 15, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

To his credit, Bradley has had to deal with a "turing of the page" in American soccer with Reyna/McBride retiring, and the influx of younger talent.

But, you have to expect that when you take over post-World Cup.

Posted by: tphasbdp | June 15, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I-270: just don't draw a cartoon.

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Egypt keeper doing his best El Salvadorean impression.

Posted by: EssEff | June 15, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Sub for Brazil, Ramires, signing with Benfica soon. More bad news for Adu.

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Brazil obviously playing for the tie now.
;-)

Posted by: EssEff | June 15, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"does anyone know why three of the top four teams are in one group, while Spain is all alone in the other? Can't wait for that Italy-South Africa semifinal

Posted by: Haroldgut | June 15, 2009 10:46 AM"

You've answered your own question. Keep in mind where this tournament is being played...

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | June 15, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I think the US style is fine, they need to be more aggressive, our best world cup showing in S. Korea was when we were creative, young, and fearless, I hope this influx of young talent brings the same desire, Since 02 we have looked sluggish and overconfident at times.

Posted by: crooney83 | June 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Stunning turn here!

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Set plays, so important -- Egyptian prevents a goal with his arm as Brazil launched a rocket in. Red card and PK coming.

Posted by: Reignking | June 15, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Oh well.

Posted by: Section117 | June 15, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Bummer for Egypt. Kaka loves God.

Posted by: EssEff | June 15, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Tough call v. the Pharoahs, but it was the right one. A number of American sports could learn a lesson from that....

Posted by: throwin | June 15, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Reignking:

I don't know if it's bad news for Freddy. The more Benfica views him as unnecessary, the easier it'll be for him to move somewhere else. Now, avoiding the debate from last week over where that should be, I think we all agree that staying with either Benfica or Monaco doesn't suit him.

***

I hope the game going on now inspires our side. If Egypt can engage in a shootout with Brazil, surely we can get a draw against Italy. Italy starts tournaments slowly, and let's be honest: This game is more important to the US (both as a team and to individual players using it as a showcase) than it is to Italy. In situations like that, you often see the underdog step up. As long as Bradley gets everyone to understand that the match starts at opening kickoff, and not like 20 minutes in (like we've done in our last 3 qualifiers), we've got a chance.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 15, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Well then... that didn't end how I expected.

Posted by: sitruc | June 15, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

What has a better chance of happening, US/Italy match containing more goals then Brazil/Egypt or Eddie Johnson being asked to rejoin the mens national team?

Also, anyone know of a good place to watch the game in NOVA?

Posted by: espwoj1 | June 15, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

From my understanding, FIFA only seeded two teams, South Africa as the host nation, and Brazil. The rest of the draw was a crapshoot.

Wow, it could have easily been Spain, USA, Italy and Brazil in group B.

Posted by: Cerealman | June 15, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse