USA Gold Cup Roster

While the American squad prepares for the Confederations Cup final Sunday in Johannesburg, Coach Bob Bradley and the USSF have finalized the 23-man roster for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, which begins late next week. The Americans are scheduled to open training camp Tuesday in Seattle in preparation for their July 4 opener against Grenada at Qwest Field. In group play, they'll also face Honduras on July 8 at RFK Stadium and Haiti three days later at Foxborough.

After two World Cup qualifiers and five matches in South Africa, almost all of the top-line players will return to their clubs or take vacation. Four players from the Confederations Cup roster will remain: Freddy Adu, Luis Robles, Charlie Davies and Heath Pearce. Brian Ching and Steve Cherundolo, who would've been on the roster if not for injuries, will return for Gold Cup.

The Gold Cup group.....

Goalkeepers: Jon Busch (Chicago), Troy Perkins (Valerenga, Norway), Luis Robles (Kaiserslautern, Germany).
Defenders: Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Clarence Goodson (Start, Norway), Jay Heaps (New England), Chad Marshall (Columbus), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland, Denmark), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock, Germany).
Midfielders: Davy Arnaud (Kansas City), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Colin Clark (Colorado), Sam Cronin (Toronto), Brad Evans (Seattle), Stuart Holden (Houston), Logan Pause (Chicago), Robbie Rogers (Columbus).
Forwards: Freddy Adu (Monaco, France), Brian Ching (Houston), Kenny Cooper (Dallas), Charlie Davies (Hammarby, Sweden), Santino Quaranta (D.C. United).

Thoughts?

By Steve Goff  |  June 25, 2009; 10:10 AM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , Gold Cup , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Thursday Kickaround
Next: Altidore to Greece?

Comments

I'm happy with this.

Kinda surprised to see Jon Busch in there, Jimmy Conrad a bit too.

On the whole, Thumbs up.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

no torres?! is he being rested, or is he just really really in the doghouse after the costa rica game?

Posted by: joe_hill | June 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I'm more surprised by who isn't on the list than who is on the list.

Posted by: sitruc | June 25, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Why not a Zach Thornton instead of a Jon Busch? Thornton has been much better this season. Also, why no Pontius? I know this has been covered, but he should be there.

Posted by: pmtthree | June 25, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

This is a horrible roster! I'm interested in seeing Holden, Rogers, Adu, Davies, and Q1. That's about it. I mean, Jay Heaps, Clarence Goodson, Brad Evans, and Logan Pause???

Posted by: Hoost | June 25, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I thought this was a great opportunity to try Torres and Orozco, but I guess that they're not as good as Beasley in BB's eyes

Posted by: Naranjal | June 25, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

WOW. no Torres. i hope he doesn't take advantage of the new FIFA rule. what is the deal here? Get on this Goff.

would like to have seen Pontius on this roster. strength, speed, skill, heart, and lots of confidence- sounds like Donovan/Beasley in 2002 (except for the strength). he should be given a look.

i don't like the Beckerman inclusion or Pause for that matter.

Posted by: bobbyoshea | June 25, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Oh wow, I didn't even notice the Torres snub! What is up!?!?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

@Hoost: I'm pleased to see Goodson there. I'm hoping his time in Norway, where he apparently has become a team leader, will help him compete for a National Team spot.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 25, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I think I'll need a vacation from soccer-watching soon.

Underwhelmed by the defensive choices (Heaps? Conrad?),

satisfied yet confused by the midfield (Sam Cronin? Who? But good to see Arnaud, Holden, Clark)

but I am stoked about the "forward" choices.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit I'm surprised not to see Torres and Orozco on the list. Perhaps the idea is these guys need some time off? I can't quibble with the defenders that have been selected, so it's hard to say Orozco deserves inclusion. I don't feel the same way about Torres. While I have not been incredibly impressed with his contributions, I think there's some potential there. I have to admit I'm not familiar with Cronin, and I haven't seen anything from Pause that screamed national team. Torres should have a place here.

With Davies nailing down a starting slot, it might be superfluous to use him, but I guess a little more international experience couldn't hurt.

Realistically, this is a true MLS all-star team, sans foreign stars (as opposed to the version that all the fans in Seattle are selecting). It's not a bad selection -- and it gives BB a chance to see these guys in action -- but it reveals the limits of the league. I'm encouraged to see Robles there. I hope we get to see a lot of him. I'm also happy for Perkins, and hope he is rewarded with some success in the competition. And, I'm really hoping Adu gets a chance to shine.

Posted by: fischy | June 25, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

@bobbyoshea: torres can't switch national teams now, he's played in a WC qualifier

Posted by: joe_hill | June 25, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Jay Heaps? Really? If you're going to bring him in, you might as well call up Namoff. Although I think neither deserve it Namoff is better than Heaps that's for sure. Also shocked about Torres not getting the call. Is he due back in Mexico for pre-season or is he taking the time to ink a deal in Spain as has been rumoured? Overall a pretty weak team, I would say this is our C- team. Hope Perkins gets the call in goal or Robles.

Posted by: owendylan | June 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@Reignking: Burn Notice tonight!

Sam: "Geez, Fi, I said don't kill the neighbors!"

Fi: "You said, 'Make a point.' Now take your picture."

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 25, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Ack, I haven't watched last week's -- travel and soccer in the way.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree that Torres should have been on this roster. I see this as a perfect chance to make it his tournament. Maybe there was an issue with his club? I still find it odd that people are so down on him for the Costa Rica game when almost all of that was attributable to Mastroeni mailing it in for that game.

Also, why no Feilhaber? He hasn't played that much this year and could probably use the games.

I'm not sure Evans and Pause make sense at all.

Posted by: futboler | June 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Somebody on Ives did mention that the Mexican preseason starts soon, and that it's still pretty important to make sure they get minutes there.

I liked Goodson in the Sweden game.

And fischy, I've been impressed with Cronin in the half dozen TFC games I've watched.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@bobbyoshea -- Torres is now cap-tied to the USA....even if he never surfaces again.

Pontius isn't ready for that level anyway. He needs to continue his development with United. I expect we'll see him as a USA regular after the World Cup.

It's no surprise to see Beckerman there, and it's deserved. There's a reason why he was a fixture in our youth teams. He's very talented. It will be good to get him some international experience and exposure.

Posted by: fischy | June 25, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I guess Hahneman is out of the picture.

Posted by: LostinPotomac | June 25, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Dude they needed the numbers from: 3 o 8

Michael: You mean 3 zero 8?

Dude: Yeah, 3 o 8

Michael: No, 3 zero 8

Dude: YES, 3 O 8!

Michael: You're sure it's 3 ZERO 8!?!

Dude: YES, 3 ZERO 8!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

i thought you could still switch if you had less than 3 "A" caps.

Posted by: bobbyoshea | June 25, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

No, you can play in as many friendlies as you wish, but once you play in a Fifa sanctioned tournament, you're tied.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Logan's selection does make me pause.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 25, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Good for Tino!

Posted by: Kev29 | June 25, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

B minus team for the Gold Cup? I don't like it. I hope this tourney doesn't end up like Copa America where nobody brings their A team. I realize the Confederation Cup is important but I would hate to see Mexico win the Gold Cup.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 25, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Forgot to mention...I want to see Adu get some starts. He looks brilliant at times. Let's see what he can do with 3 starts.

Posted by: 9Nine9 | June 25, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm happy to see Troy and Tino. I wish I saw Pontius and Torres, but whatever.

Posted by: Konoha7 | June 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Smells like a B side. Smelling Brasil 3, So. Africa 1 today.

Posted by: Realness1 | June 25, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I think Bob has actually chosen some good defensive options. Orozco and Ianni haven't been on form. Heaps and Namoff are both great, but I think Bob might have looked at Jakovic and Canada and taken pity. Conrad and Marshall I like over Califf, any day.

I am miffed that Torres won't play, but Adu sure as hell will. I think Bob is absolutely wrong about him, but it is nice to have beaten Spain and have Some talent still waiting in the wings. Holden and Adu certainly count.

I would, however, have liked to see Szetela, as he is better than Pause, despite no minutes, and Sal Zizzo, who was my favorite player in the U-20 world cup.

Plus, Preston Zimmerman? These last two are true wingers, unlike Dempsey.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 25, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The A-team players who are playing in the Gold Cup are there because Bob Bradley wants them to get playing time. Altidor, 'Dolo, and Adu have struggled to get on the pitch in 2009 for various reasons. Even Davies, who has played alot for Hammarby, is suspended. Torres just came off of a long season in Mexico and is probably looking for a break.

Speaking of which, is Landon Donovan going to have a moment to catch his breath between now and the World Cup?

NOW: Confed Cup
SUMMER/FALL: MLS
FALL: WC Qualifiers
FALL-SPRING: Likely Transfer to Europe (Winter and Spring season)
SUMMER: WC 2010

That schedule worries me.

Posted by: hoyanick1 | June 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

guys, Torres needs a break, he's been playing for 11 months straight now (Apetura into Camp, into Clausura, into confederations. plus Libratadores. if he did Gold Cup, then right into league play, plus qualifiers, then right into WC, then back into league play, he'd be playing without a vacation for 3 straight years. burnout central.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Again congrats to Tino. Hope he gets some actual playing time. I actually wish all the guys luck and some playing time, it's got to be an honor and a nice little change of scenery for some of the MLS scrubs. :-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

why isn't wynne on the roster? so much potential.

Posted by: bobbyoshea | June 25, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Have to agree with Lost in Potomac that Hahnemann is clearly out of the picture - after all, why would Bradley want an EPL goalie when he has Jon Bushe and Troy Perkins?

Posted by: Beckster1 | June 25, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Torres. I thought Pachuca is starting this season with a new coach? He may need to be there for pre-season due to that change. New coach assessment, new tactics, yada, yada, yada..

Posted by: barrett2301 | June 25, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

The Gold Cup is to test the future USMNT players -- and Hahnemann is too old.

Posted by: Reignking | June 25, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

marcus wasn't called b/c he is competing for the #1 spot at his new club.

Posted by: bobbyoshea | June 25, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Give Bradley a break. He deserves one after yesterday. This is the second time he's had to come up with two rosters in the same summer. How many other national team coaches have to do that?

Oh sorry, I forgot that this is one of those internet message boards that Steve wrote about.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Naranjal | June 25, 2009 10:40 AM
=========================================
Good points about Torres and Orozco. Why would you bring in Pause and Conrad, but not them? Strange.

Posted by: mddeblois | June 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

That's very bold of you, I-270.

Posted by: joedoc1 | June 25, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

what about Adu then? doesn't he also have to get back to Benfica and impress their coach? Or do they not start training for a little bit longer?

Or is this a tryout for scouts for the teams that are supposedly interested in him?

Posted by: joe_hill | June 25, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Great roster Bob. Way to make the gold cup not worth watching. It may be nice to see Freddie though. He better start.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | June 25, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

i actually like conrad. heaps and pearce? yuk. good to see 'dolo back. looking forward to see how holden plays. on the goalie front, why not let guzan play these games since he isn't starting for villa either?

Posted by: birdynumnum | June 25, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

JT should definitely be there.
Orozco I am a bit ambivalent about.

Goodson--Sorry but I just don't get that one. No disrepect intented.

Posted by: yankiboy | June 25, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

That's very bold of you, I-270.
Posted by: joedoc1
=================

Italics lean to the right.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 25, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

i am excited to see this team play. remember, we play Grenada, Haiti and Honduras in the opening round. Should be 7 points easily and 8 of the 12 teams make the knockout round.

Lineup (in no particular order):
GK - Robles/Perkins
D - Parkhurst, Marshall, Cherundolo, Conrad/Pearce
M - Adu (rather than at F), Beckerman, Rogers, Holden
F - Take your pick

Anyone know if they're putting in grass at Giants Stadium for the final? Can't imagine they'd want to play a big game like that on the worst turf on earth, right?

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | June 25, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@ Joe Hill I think Freddy plays for Monaco not Benfica anymore.

My problem is this and I know tired legs and need for a break plus clubs and what not, butI think that this win was due to the fact that USA is finally playing together for longer stretches. And just when they are starting to show glimpses of playing at a higher level he just blows up the squad.

Don't get me wrong I understand he is building up the player pool and checking out some young talent, but at least bring your B-Squad, not this.

I am glad to see Tino getting another look and finally Cooper, but will they get on the field? Adu needs more time out there too. Oh well we shall see. Not a big fan of Bradley's decision making most of the time, but it seems to work out some times.

Posted by: BarraLoco | June 25, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

freddy is on loan to monaco from benfica. i can't imagine benfica would want to keep that arrangement going since monaco didn't play him at all.

Posted by: joe_hill | June 25, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

This is a joke. Bradley may win the Confederations Cup this year, but his eye for talent is awful. I would have replaced Heaps with either Geoff Cameron (Dynamo) or Zak Whitbread, Szetela for Rogers (b/c he is out of form), Hahneman for Busch, Torres for Pause, Pontius for Arnaud,and Orozco for Heaps. Who the hell thinks Jay Heaps (who is old and a red card waiting to happen), Davey Arnaud, and Logan Pause deserve to be on this team. I am sick of Bradley despite him having a winning record. I can't stop saying 'why the f*ck Jay Heaps.' If I was the coach of a JV high school boys team I would not want Jay Heaps on there. That is just plain stupidity.

Posted by: no_recess | June 25, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

The good thing about this roster is after seeing it, I can cut back on my soccer. I have no desire to watch Gold Cup games with this roster. Couple that with Mexico sending their B team, and theres really no reason to watch.

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | June 25, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

@ bobbyoshea

Who is Hahneman's new club?

Posted by: no_recess | June 25, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobbyoshea | June 25, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I think the roster is pretty weak. I like Quaranta and Beckerman getting a shot because they are local boys. But if all I wanted in a National Team was local boys, I'd much rather see Sasho Cirovski and his 2008 NCAA Champions Maryland Terrapins get a shot. The only player that couldn't play would be the Canadian back-up goal keeper. Replace the roster spot vacancy the Canadian leaves with Daives. I went from fan too huge fan after Daives' first 15 min during the Spain game. Even if Daives has to play keeper, he can't be much worse then Perkins.

Posted by: Nate8 | June 25, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Heaps?

This is a family blog, so I'll just stop right here.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | June 25, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@josh: Thanks for the JT feedback. I hadn't thought about the need for some time off...

Posted by: yankiboy | June 25, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

bobbyoshea:

Thanks you sarcastic pr!ck! Oh and here is one for you

Go_F_yourself.com

Don't worry you don't have to google it.

Posted by: no_recess | June 25, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what was freaking funnier bobbyoshea's smart aleck jab or no_recess' reaction to said smart aleck.

Better than most network tv. Better than most of the standup on comedy central.

Seriously, that cracked me up...

Posted by: yankiboy | June 25, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

If you want a real answer, hahnemann just signed for Wolverhampton Wanderers, winners of the English Championship last year. They were also going after Gooch until they heard his wage demands.

Oh, as for why hahnemann isn't on the gold cup roster...let's say he don't shave his head. He's bald because he's old as balls.

Posted by: daandre3 | June 25, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Gaack! Sure wouldn't want to try selling tickets for the matches vs. Grenada and Haiti, especially when we are fielding a B-/C+ level team. Apparently the organizers realize this, since all the group matches are double headers and the prices don't seem too high.

Posted by: popoki08 | June 25, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Awful. Predictable. What exactly did Jeremiah White do to p/o Bob? Would love to get a look at people like Jemal Johnson too. Clearly there's room, we don't need Cooper AND the Chinger. But it would be just unforgiveable to leave Bob's Ching off, wouldn't it.

Selections like Heaps are baffling. These tournaments should be used to give guys looks who at least have some potential for contributing internationally now or in the future. Very sad.

Posted by: duck95 | June 25, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Two other things:

1) What difference does it make to "test" players like Cooper in these situations, when the team behind him largely sucks? Is that a fair test? The odds will always be stacked against those types of "bubble" players. Whoever above said tournaments like the GC are to get looks at potential future NT players is correct - unfortunately the use of the terms "potential" and "future" are loosely used in this case.

2) We're all friends here, so let's keep this real. There isn't anyone out there who actually thinks that beating Spain had anything to do with Bob, is there? While I am as enthused about the win as anyone else, let's please keep in mind that the way we played, while energetic and opportunistic, 9 times out of 10 Spain wins that game going away.

It's not like one high-profile win suddenly affords Bob the luxury of taking the Gold Cup off from seriously looking at new talent. We need it.

Posted by: duck95 | June 25, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Guzan should have been retained. He's a reserve for Villa and exposure as the #1 would have been good for him. Rest is overrated.

Very happy for Quaranta. Maybe last chance to remain in consideration for 2010 for Adu.

This is like a Football League team, not a true international squad, but it does make the Gold Cup a significant test.

Posted by: oz4dcu | June 26, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse