Video: Brazil's Goal

Daniel Alves's perfect free kick in the final moments of Brazil's 1-0 victory over South Africa in the Confederations Cup semifinals:

By Steve Goff  |  June 25, 2009; 10:03 PM ET
Categories:  Brazil , Confederations Cup
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchday: Brazil-South Africa
Next: Friday Kickaround

Comments

Cornball celebration. He knows his name is on the back of his shirt right?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 25, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

That was a Brasil that the US can beat -- maybe.....

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 25, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I've seen some lame tats, that's top 5.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 25, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan - I think the tat he shows in the celebration is referring to his (unimaginatively named) son, not himself.

Posted by: member5 | June 25, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

world class quality

Posted by: Pedalada | June 25, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Brazil is stacked, especially if D. Alves and Maicon start.

Maicon is so athletic, he could probably play Rb in the NFL! That may be tough to imagine, but think of it as if America's best athletes played soccer instead of football and baseball...IMO

Posted by: Vicc | June 25, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Alves is beginning to score the way Roberto Carlos could score!

Posted by: Vicc | June 25, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

That was a Brasil that the US can beat -- maybe.....

Posted by: fentysupporter | June 25, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I'll buy that...

Posted by: Vicc | June 25, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

And since I'll be on the blackberry for the kickaround:

Re: Burn Notice ***Spoiler***

I just get to feeling so sorry for Fi sometimes

I really hope they're setting up the detective to play the Commish Gordon to Michael's Batman.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 26, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, still totally cornball even though if my daughter had been a boy I would have named her DadRyan...

@Burn Notice nerds: You guys are just in it for the tail right?

Posted by: DadRyan | June 26, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | June 26, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Great strike, but there had to be a deflection off Pienaar, not a ton, but enough to make it impossible.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 26, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dad,

Yes. Well, that, AND they blow stuff up. A lot stuff.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | June 26, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Too bad about that hickie Kaka gave him the night before the game, he was clearly upset by the fact he had to wear a turtle neck.

Posted by: Southeasterner | June 26, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

""That was a Brasil that the US can beat -- maybe.....""

Which U.S.? The one that went down 2-0 to El Salvador, the one that was losing 1-0 to Honduras or the one that was recently crushed by Brasil and Costa Rica 3-0? Or the one that beat Spain? I'm assuming the latter . .

Posted by: delantero | June 26, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

"That was a Brasil that the US can beat -- maybe....."

Honestly? South Africa played a little better than what USA played against Spain. They had the same consistency but managed to have more opportunities than the american team. Too bad for them that against them was the best keeper in the world.

Posted by: guz_fernandes | June 26, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Fernandes, you're a dumb ass. South Africa threw of your team, but lacked clinical finishing. We didn't. We won. You only won against South Africa with a Very late set piece. Of course our performance was better.

You are biased so heavily, what are you doing here?

We'll see on Sunday, my man. But I'll give you a hint. You won't hear the words "Brazil" and "waltz" in the same sentence.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 26, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

I am a dumb ass just for have a different opinion from yours? That how we are treated in USA when we have a different opinion? I thought that your country was the country of freedom, no?

We are in the final, UnitedDemon, because we deserved it. That's because we defeated Egypt, we defeated your team without making much effort and we humilliated the actual world champion Italy. Rememeber that if wasn't for us, USA wouldn't even pass to the second stage.

And, clinical finishing? USA only scored because of the Spanish mistakes. That's clinical finishing? In the first goal, that was an easy ball for Casillas, but he mad a mistake. In the second, Sergio Ramos gave the ball to Dempsey to find the net without any keeper on it. Easy. Do you want an example of clinical finishing? This is clinical finishing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRQbQjeHg-8

I'm not trying to take the merits off from USA, they played better than Spain. But just because your team won ONE game doesn't give you the right to call me bad names just because I had a different opinion.

And, just to refresh your mind, watch this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA-9KKpRhi0&feature=fvw

Posted by: guz_fernandes | June 26, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Yes, we had a bad day today. However, even in bad days Brazil won its matches. How's that?

Posted by: guz_fernandes | June 26, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

I will concede some ground. That freekick was quality. And Brazil did win, by the rules of the game.

But South Africa didn't punish BRAZIL's mistakes like we did Spain's. They could have easily been ahead in the first half, and this could have easily gone to penalty kicks against a team that simply doesn't have the history that the US does.

But I think you are in for a surprise against us. Our coach, believe it or not, made Huge mistakes in his lineup, (both the man who gifted you an assist and the kid who got a red card) that most US fans now despise.

We are finally playing offense, and we have a backline that really works, as you can see against Spain. Trouble, Fernandes, trouble.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 26, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Also, South Africa, with the notable exception of booooooooth, looked tiny compared to Brazil, we won't look so small. But then, brazil is better, man to man. But then so was Spain. The US counter attack looks good, as well. Shame we'll have to make do without baby boy, but we should make a match of it.

And I'll put Timmy up against any keeper in the world right now.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | June 26, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

guz_fernandes: I'm very surprised that you are not calling for Dunga to be fired. What about all that stuff you wrote about beautiful play being more important than winning to Brazilians. You should be the first to call for Dunga's head.

I don't agree with UnitedDemons' choice of words, but I do agree that your bias impedes your judgment.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I-270Exit1, my bias influences my judgment just like your bias influences your judgment. The fact that I'm brazilian, will make me see USA national team with the view of how brazilians see soccer and the fact you're american will make you see USA national team as a american see soccer. Simple that way.

Posted by: guz_fernandes | June 26, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

OK. I give up. You're right. Brazil and played beautifully in defeating the United States. Brazil also played beautifully in giving up 3 goals to Egypt. We sucked by holding them to none. And Brazil played beautifully by deceiving the South Africans into thinking they could go to overtime, only to rout them by one goal in the 86th minute. You really do play the beautiful game. My apologies for not recognizing that.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | June 26, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Let's all get Mojitos and chill. Sunday should be a great game. Looking forward to it as much I can ever remember looking forward to a USA game. I think Brazil will take the game very seriously and it will be a great game. Hopefully we don't choke like those Argentinians did in the CONMEBOL final. If any Argentinians out there are offended let me suggest some nice steak with our Mojitos.

Posted by: csd1 | June 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, though, that if the US lose, it will not be a failure. Brazil is certainly, at least, the second best team in the world. We are still competing for top ten.

However, if we win... it won't be a miracle anymore.

And if we play them well, we will show that we are not a one trick pony.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | June 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse