Adu, Zoltan, mun2, Wambach

*Some additional details on the Freddy Adu situation: From what I've been told, Adu and Benfica had a prearranged agreement with the USSF for him to be released after the second USA match of the Gold Cup (vs. Honduras at RFK). The plan was for him to take time off before rejoining the Portuguese club for summer training. However, Benfica then decided not to include him in the first camp, so Adu headed to Bradenton for conditioning. At that point, it was out of the USA's hands and he did not return to the American squad for the remainder of the tournament. Adu is scheduled to rejoin Benfica on Wednesday. Still awaiting word on loan possibilities.....

*As expected, the Kansas City Wizards have announced the signing of Hungarian striker Zoltan Hercegfalvi. The 29-year-old has played three times for Hungary's national team and has played for clubs in his native country as well as in the Czech Republic. The name on his jersey will simply say: "Zoltan." Now that's cool.

*If you don't receive mun2, the English-language cable outlet that will show the USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier Aug. 12, the situation seems to be improving. Telemundo and NBC Universal, which operate the station, is offering it on a one-day free preview on various cable and satellite systems. The network says it has already received commitments that increase availability to 56 million households from 31 million. DirecTV and Dish Network are on board. Telemundo will handle the Spanish-language coverage.

*Abby Wambach was named WPS player of the week after scoring twice in the Washington Freedom's 3-2 victory at Chicago. The Freedom will host Boston on Wednesday night at Maryland SoccerPlex.

By Steve Goff  |  July 28, 2009; 1:56 PM ET
Categories:  MLS , TV , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Destination: Cape Town
Next: Gulati Speaks

Comments

yay

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 28, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

perhaps the coolest name of a jersey in mls.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 28, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, Benfica clearly don't want Freddy, and don't seem to be working very hard to get him loaned out.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 28, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

zoltan the wizard? k.c. mid-summer signing or tolkien-esque conjurer?

Posted by: stairs | July 28, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I may buy a Zoltan jersey

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 28, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Highlights of the Freedom - Red Stars Match can be found here:
Still impressed how Long got through those defenders for the third Freedom goal. Carney's second for the Red Stars was excellant as well.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 28, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Odd. Jesus (the coach, not the son of God) specifically said upon taking charge of Benfica that he wanted Adu and Fabio Coentrao back in the fold. Coentrao is another teenage phenom that Benfica loaned out last year.

Of course, Benfica just went through a leadership struggle that completely dominated the efforts of its executives. I hope they can get back to their real jobs, because they are ruining the trade values of these two prospects, plus a few others. I believe they have 32 guys on the roster at the moment.

Kamani Hill is up the road at Guimaraes. I'd love to see Adu paired with him in the Portuguese league.

Posted by: troy6 | July 28, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I may buy a Zoltan jersey

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 28, 2009 2:12 PM |
---------------------------------------------

Surely, he wears a cape...

Posted by: fischy | July 28, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Just call me Brainy Smurf.

I was right, I was right!

Posted by: Reignking | July 28, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, now you can almost make up an entire all-time all-star team of great Hungarian MLS players.

Zoltan, Istvan Urbanyi...

And uhhhhhh....

Well, I said almost...

Posted by: IamAM | July 28, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The Zoltan of Swing.

I suppose Grant Wahl is working on The Freddy Experiment. A sad story, but not over yet. I hope the guy (he's 20, so no longer a kid) finds a team on which he can make a difference.

The first one who says they're "Hungary" for something gets an internet speed-bagging...

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If I was Bill Simmons - I would definitely use the *Daniel "The Karate Kid" Larusso is the most curiously hated person on earth theory* and apply it to Freddy Adu.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The name on his jersey will simply say: "Zoltan."

keep him away from Tom Hanks!

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 28, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

From what I read Ricardo Clark will be joining Serie A Livorno in January.

Posted by: no_recess | July 28, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

zoltan the wizard? k.c. mid-summer signing or tolkien-esque conjurer?

Posted by: stairs | July 28, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

lmao

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 28, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The amount that this says about Benfica's desire to nurture Freddy is disturbing. It is clear to me now that both Benfica and Monaco wanted some media attention (Benfica kind of desperate to have the appearance of success, signing a media jewel as backup).

No wonder he played so poorly in the Gold Cup. Bob doesn't seem to care, either.

I'm not saying that he should make the world cup in his present condition. But I think Freddy has to start from dead zero and make the most of it after the lone deal. Which is a failing, but also an opportunity.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 28, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 28, 2009 2:32 PM

The severe pessimist in me wonders if Milan are after the same thing with Gooch. I sure hope not. Milan do really need defenders, so I think Leonardo will give him a proper chance.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 28, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought Zoltan just signed for Barca?

Posted by: Reignking | July 28, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 28, 2009 2:16 PM
-----------------------------------------

Thanks for the link. Long's run had more impact when I saw it in real time on Sunday, as it came out of nowhere. The replay is not very flattering to the defenders. As I mentioned on a previous thread, she was a guest bartender at that fundraiser in Georgetown last Wednesday, and it was nice to see her make a statement on the pitch like that just a few days later.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 28, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Zoltan...Zlatan what's the difference.

Posted by: no_recess | July 28, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

The name on his jersey will simply say: "Zoltan." Now that's cool.
==============================

Wonder if he also does magic shows at children's birthday parties . . .

Posted by: OWNTF | July 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody say "Long run"?!

"I used to hurry a lot
I used to worry a lot
I used to stay out 'til the break of day
Oh, that didn't get it
It was high time I quit it
I just couldn't carry on that way..."

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

All these people making fun of Hercegfalvi really shouldn't mess with the Zoltan.

Posted by: Section117 | July 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Is anybody else thinking that the Dutch club in question might be NAC Breda? I mean with Earnie Stewart being there and all, it's at least a slight possibility...

Posted by: fcmuenchweiler | July 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

are FREE ADU shirts in order yet? never mind feeling sorry for Beckham.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 28, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

What channel number is mun2 on Comcast?

Posted by: georgejones5 | July 28, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope it is NAC Breda because he has a greater chance of starting, I don't care what club as long as he is a starter

Posted by: DCU11 | July 28, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I watch Pause make a run the other day...you know what it was called?

Posted by: Reignking | July 28, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

RE: Dad, I'll take a shirt, size Large. Stuart Holden is more likely to be on the roster at Mexico than Freddy. It's embarrassing to be a Team USA fan.

Posted by: DC0071 | July 28, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------------------
as long as will smith doesn't remake this into a vanity project for his kid all will be ok.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | July 28, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Michael York?!?

Posted by: the_slammer | July 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Allie Long has sick touch. I was more impressed with her possession and distribution in killing off the last RFK game than I was at that last goal (as important as it was). The Chicago defending was pitiful.

Which player in the WNT pool has helped herself the most in the WPS? Rapinoe? LePelbet? Aly Wagner? Barnhart? Kacey White?

Hurt herself? A-Rod? Lloyd?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 28, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't there some policy at some point where people had to use their last names on jerseys (or was it just Colorado?) and Herculez Gomez was really upset?

How on earth do you pronounce Hercegfalvi? Hungarian is one weird language

Posted by: diego_r | July 28, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Hercegfalvi? Hungarian is one weird language
===================

Is that Hungarian for "He Hate Me"?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 28, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I was not a huge fan on the end of the Freddy Adu/DC thing but I always felt like if he was going overseas, his first stop should have been Netherlands. They just seem to really do well with young talent and I think his game would do well developing there. I really hope he can do the loan and that will help his career in a great way (regardless if he gets into the US rotation or not) and will help him go further.

Posted by: FatSickBoot | July 28, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PindarPushkin | July 28, 2009 3:12 PM

Uh oh - you might be on to something here.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 28, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Just a reminder.

DC United is playing Luis Angel Firpo of El Salvador at RFK tonight.

It's a home and away series to decide which team gets into CONCACAF'S Champions League. The winner of that tournament gets to go the World Club Champinship.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 28, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Actually, there is no language called "Hungarian". Hungarians speak Magyar.

Posted by: fischy | July 28, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"Stuart Holden is more likely to be on the roster at Mexico than Freddy. It's embarrassing to be a Team USA fan."

Posted by: DC0071

huh? Stuart Holden is a better player right now than Freddy Adu and more likely to contribute to the USA team. that goal he scored against Haiti - Adu hasn't done anything close to that good in quite some time.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 28, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Since it was announced that mun2's announcing team would feature Marcelo Balboa, I am shunning it. I don't want to hear him constantly misidentify players (I would not be surprised if he confused Altidore for Cherundolo), and I really really don't want to hear his attempts at breaking down game events. His attempts at tactical insight have long since left me baffled as to how he was ever a good defender.

I'm glad to see there's no silliness going on with Zoltan's choice of name on his jersey. After the nonsense over whether Fred could just be Fred, it appears we have all learned a lesson. However, since we're talking about long last names, it would be kind of funny if Van den Bergh changed his jersey to just say "Dave".

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 28, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Zoltan smash.

Posted by: VTUnited | July 28, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Whether they loan Freddy out or not -I think they should- the fact that they didnt pick him up for this their first preseason tournament is not uncommon. Adu was on the roster for both the Confederations Cup and the Gold Cup. He didn't play yes, but he trained everyday. Also, he trained everyday at Monaco. The kid has gotten no break at all. Its also not uncommon for teams to leave players out on trips. Vidic and Valancia both didnt travel to Asia with Man Utd this summer.

Also, before every jumps on my back about well freddy has not been playing he doesn't need a break. That is a bit ridiculous. Training everyday for close to a year takes its tool. I mean I played sparingly freshmen yr in college -something like 14 out of 20 games. Yet, my body was still beat after going through a whole summer of training, preseason and a three month season. I can see why Benfica maybe gave the kid a rest.

All I am saying is maybe Benfica still do want him as someone already posted. I wouldn't read into this so deeply as its still a very convoluted situation.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 28, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I hope the best for A-Rod next season, but it's amazing how much she has dropped this year.

Posted by: sitruc | July 28, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Actually, there is no language called "Hungarian". Hungarians speak Magyar.

Posted by: fischy | July 28, 2009 3:24
-----------------------------------------

Then neither is there a language called French, but rather Francais. Ditto for GermanDeutsch, etc.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 28, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

How on earth do you pronounce Hercegfalvi?
------------------------------------------

That one isn't too bad. The only trick is that the "c" is pronounced "ts".

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 28, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Dang, no one got my Logan's Run..

Posted by: Reignking | July 28, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC0071

Posted by: dimesmakedollars

What dimes said.

Posted by: KireDCU | July 28, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking - no, you just didn't get my Michael York :)

Posted by: the_slammer | July 28, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Okay, sorry to ask for it spelled out, but where can I watch the USA-Mexico match in English on my RCN cable?

Posted by: wmsiii | July 28, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Hurt herself? A-Rod? Lloyd?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 28, 2009 3:13 PM
-----------------------------------------

That's a pretty good list. Barnyard--oops, Barnhart--has done well enough, especially with a porous defense in front of her, but she started the year second on the depth chart, and that is where she still is. As for players who started on the fringe of the pool, Weimer, perhaps. Could a few Freedom players who have been lounging at poolside (Sauerbrunn, Singer, Lindsey, maybe even Long) get a look from Sundhage at some point?

(I'll overlook that "the WPS.")

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 28, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Dang, no one got my Logan's Run..

Posted by: Reignking | July 28, 2009 3:43 PM |
---------------------------------------------

Not so. I'm sure we all got it. Only "the_slammer" bothered, with his "Michael York" reply. Apparently, you didn't get that....

Posted by: fischy | July 28, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wmsiii | July 28, 2009 3:54 PM

mun2 isn't available on RCN - you might be able to use SAP for Telemundo though.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 28, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Hear ya loud and clear Joel. It is kind of weird that Goff's preview is buried in the pile yesterday. Link to match preview:

I am truly more pissed off about the lack of news on the networks this tournament is ending up on than the never ending story about the USA/MEX WCQ.
Why TF is the tournament on Gaylavision this year and not Telefutura, and why didn't anybody mention it till today?
Big Eff Word here!!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 28, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe a reference to Jenny Agutter would have been more effective.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 28, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, I did get the Basil Exposition reference...

Posted by: Reignking | July 28, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Wow, how frustrating must it be to not be able to get on a team, any team, that will play you at all! Maybe he's worse than I think, but several games i saw person he was the best player with the ball on the field. Certainly he can find a french, or portguese or dutch team that will give him some minutes anyway.

Posted by: Brian76 | July 28, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- it's also on FSC.

Posted by: fischy | July 28, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, FSC is replaying the United/Earthquakes game. What a beautiful display of soccer that wa.

Posted by: delantero | July 28, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@fischy, I know I don't get FSC, and am irked that no one mentioned that the CCL won't be on Telefutura this year... or maybe you know that and are pulling my chain. either way it's hogwash. FSC sucks. So does the CONCACAF website. Publish some useful information already you chumps!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 28, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Goff must hate Champions League...
Or is he just swept up in the pageantry of the All Star game proceedings?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 28, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

DadRyan, I am sure you can find a stream online at rojadirecta or somewhere else.

Posted by: the_slammer | July 28, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Hurt herself? A-Rod? Lloyd?

Posted by: OWNTF | July 28, 2009 3:13 PM

==========

I think Becky Sauerbrunn has earned a shot, and Kacey White has come on strong in the past few weeks.

Posted by: kevinwparker | July 28, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Since we seem to be moving on to talking about tonight's game...

The indication from SG and others is that we're approaching this game like we approached the Rochester USOC match: some starters, some reserves. I hope that enough talent is on the field for us to get a comfortable lead, because we all know the bizarre things that can happen in CONCACAF, especially to MLS clubs. Firpo is in preseason, but if we get an early, dodgy red card (we got 5 in last year's CCL, and several ranged from "questionable" to "absurd"), we'll be in trouble. It's sad that playing in CONCACAF means factoring in terrible red cards and/or penalties, but those are the breaks.

Something worth noting: Wallace is suspended for Saturday's game against Houston due to yellow card accumulation, so he will have to put in 90 minutes tonight. Of course, his recent performances haven't been that good, so maybe that's not the best silver lining ever. I'm also expecting starts for Szetela and N'Silu. I think a start for Szetela would help him shake off some of his rust, while simultaneously giving him the chance to be a part of the game's rhythm rather than tossing him into it and having to adjust (which we did against SJ, and he unsurprisingly looked rusty).

I guess it will look something like this:

-------------- N'Silu - Emilio
-------------------- Fred
Wallace - Szetela - Jacobson - Pontius
-------- Burch - Janicki - McTavish
------------------- Kocic

I'm not saying this is what I would send out, but it's not too far off either. Namoff can't play 90 minutes of every game; if he picks up an injury, we'll be in some trouble. I think McTavish can do the job for a night. I'm still wary of Janicki in a back three, but I think Soehn will rest him here so he can be used in the away leg (where he will be essential). Resting Burch might also be on Soehn's mind, but John's played enough times that Burch should be fine.

In midfield, Pontius will be on the right because it appears Quaranta will be rested after having like 30 cross-country flights in a month. Fred should be the playmaker, since we'll need Gomez in Houston. Jacobson gets the start because McTavish is needed elsewhere.

Up top, we may start Moreno (since he's been a sub for the last couple games), but I feel like he's being preserved for Houston as well. I'd be a little nervous about starting an off-form, somewhat surly Emilio and the erratic threat that is N'Silu in a game where we need goals (plural), but what else can we do? Hopefully one or both finds some confidence tonight and gets it done.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 28, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link reminders slammer. Tonight I'm good, my neighbor is having me over. I'm sure there will be feeds galore, but that doesn't mean I don't like kickin' back an watching on Telefutura. I just think that for all the whining about how ESPN sucks or whatever, that CONCACAF can't seem to pin down their coverage until the last second with this tournament. As I said I'm just irked that I can't get it with the ease of flipping a channel like I did last year. My neighbors don't want me over for the next three nights watching Champions League I can tell you that.
I guess the good news is for my wife. She won't have to watch.
I hope DCU plays this game like it matters. We need maximum goals period.

DCU needs to start eating more read meat or something. We need a killer instinct to get into the group stage of this tournament, start winning in league play and be ready to tear the Sounders into shreds like an Orca chompin' seals!!!!
RAarrrgghhh! Vamos United!
Stomp these fools out tonight!!!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 28, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse