All-Star Fever

The MLS select squad -- it's not really an all-star team, is it? -- faces Tim Howard and an Everton club in preseason form at Rio Tinto Stadium outside Salt Lake City tonight.

TV: ESPN2, Galavision. Coverage begins at 9:30 ET.

All-Star History
2008: MLS 3, West Ham 2 (Toronto)
2007: MLS 2, Celtic 0 (Denver)
2006: MLS 1, Chelsea 0 (Chicago)
2005: MLS 4, Fulham 1 (Columbus)
2004: East 3, West 2 (Washington)
2003: MLS 3, Chivas 1 (Los Angeles)
2002: MLS 3, USA 2 (Washington)
2001: East 6, West 6 (San Jose)
2000: East 9, West 4 (Columbus)
1999: West 6, East 4 (San Diego)
1998: MLS USA 6, MLS World 1 (Orlando)
1997: East 5, West 4 (New Jersey)
1996: East 3, West 2 (New Jersey)

Your pregame, in-game and postgame comments are welcome.

By Steve Goff  |  July 29, 2009; 9:00 PM ET
Categories:  England , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: WPS Matchnight: Breakers at Freedom
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

I wonder if the kid from Wake Forest is going to get to play for Everton? I predict MLS All Stars 2, Everton 1...

Posted by: alan19 | July 29, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But in all seriousness, my soccer addiction is just short of that of a crackhead, so I'll watch when the Freedom game is over.

Posted by: jmingus | July 29, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Who's the musical guest?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

The kid from Wake -- Cody Arnoux -- will not be there. Nor will the kid from the Ventura COunty Fusion -- Antonin Peterlin.

From the MLSnet: U.S. SIGNINGS STAY HOME: Anton Peterlin and Cody Arnoux will rejoin Everton when the club heads to England Thursday morning.

Peterlin is currently training with Everton's reserves in Austria and will rejoin the main squad upon its return to England. Signed from the Ventura County Fusion of the Premier Development League, he's competed in each of Everton's reserve matches in Austria.

Arnoux, the striker from Wake Forest, signed last week but has already left for England, where he will join the club."

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

musical guest...Donny and Marie?

Posted by: fedssocr | July 29, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the WF striker or Peterlin are playing.

As for the music, it's these guys: http://tinyurl.com/n7nexz

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if that was too much.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Want to take a trip through time, Internet-stylee? I clicked on ussoccer and the MNT link, then on the FIFA World Cup subheading to get info on the WCQs. Except that it's currently in 2006 mode -- 36 months back in time. Very weird.

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh yay, Julie Foudy.

Is it bad that while she's talking about what's going on, all I'm thinking is "Woman talking... woman talking... wolman talking..."

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Some of those All star scores are unbelievable. Did we have defense then?

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 29, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

You stay classy Mexi-I mean, Toronto fans!

When did Landon Donovan get that tattoo?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

So far I've seen Gaudet, the Puerto Rico keeper, take a dive when Gerba reached out to him after he caught a cross to catch himself, and now waste 3 minutes asking for a new pair of gloves, that he never even put on.

No offense, yankiboy, but that's a bit dispicable.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

ahh, come on Jacob. Good thing he's not in Seattle that's for sure, he would have been pelted with bottles. Gaudette is a crazy keeper man, unbelievable last year. He got his yellow, and he took all the time off he could. Don't hate the player dog, hate the game. ;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Really glad to see MLS brought in the LED banners for the field

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Ewww - MLS XI wearing those new adidas template shirts that look like they have sports bras sewn on top of them.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 29, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I hate his timewasting and flopping tactics, but the guy is an excellent shotstopper, no doubt about it.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | July 29, 2009 9:53 PM |

Wellllll, Blanco IS playing.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Better hair: Beckerman or Felliani?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Holden with the assist!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya Jacob, Gaudette is a bad @$$ though and was pretty incredible in this tournament last year. I am mostly amused watching the different time wasting tricks that keepers can get away with. I actually kinda miss Craytons awesome diving down onto the ball move... It is lame when you're up against teams doing it, but it is a part of the game. The very reason you need to score early and often to negate that kind of garbage.

DCU really better not adopt that stupid cycling looking jersey next year...

Yeah, real stellar, Keller... rolling my eyes. Maybe he'll handle the ball outside of the box too!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah... In what world is that pass a good idea?

Posted by: mason08 | July 29, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

A: Fellaini.

B: That was almost as bad as John's against Colorado.

C: I'm fairly certain Saxo Bank was wearing those jerseys during the TDF. (That's right, 4 days later and I'm still getting it mentions)

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Better hair: Beckerman or Felliani?

Posted by: I-270Exit1

Dude, Blue Steel Stuey is gonna be illin' you didn't nominate him for the contest!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Who's the musical guest?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 29, 2009 9:13 PM

Smashmouth? (Hey now, you're an All-Star...)

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | July 29, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm diggin those Everton shirts

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Louis Saha's dye job makes him look like a young Red Foxx

Posted by: Kev29 | July 29, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Good work by Casey to lead to that goal.

Posted by: mason08 | July 29, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

You know, AT&T has a couple of nice big buildings here.

Add them to the Atlanta MLS sponsor list.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Good work by Casey and Holden, but I'm pretty sure Davis was offside.

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Keller played in 3 different countries in Europe? Germany, Spain, and Turkey. England is not a country.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Tim Howard with the Mutombo!

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, depending on which Turkish team he played for, he may have been playing in Asia

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Is Blanco wearing 10 or 70?

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Looks like 70.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Keller with Fenerbahce briefly? That's on the Asian side of Istanbul, but they've competed in the UEFA Champion's League.

Posted by: benonthehill | July 29, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Defense in an All-Star game is a new phenomenon, UnitedDemon. International competition instead of East vs West means there is 90 minutes of defense instead of 9 if we're lucky.

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Fischy-
He was onside. The world wide leader put their "offside" line in the wrong spot. It didn't follow the ball, but it was useful so show that the ball was ahead of their line while Davis was behind it at the moment that the ball was touched on by Holden.

Posted by: mason08 | July 29, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Landon Donovan is audtioning.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

At this rate, Everton will go from the Toffees to the Toffros.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Is Thornton hurt or not?

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing about that shot off the post is that he had to go that wide because Howard was very close, and very big, even if he wasn't coming hard.

Posted by: mason08 | July 29, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

forgot this was on lol lemme check out the last two minutes

Posted by: FatSickBoot | July 29, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

PKs...but the rules?

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I love having the camera just right there.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That first PK wasn't even close.

Posted by: mason08 | July 29, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, I wasn't thrilled with Casey's effort in South Africa, but I was impressed with his toughness and skill against DCU, and again here tonight. If he gets really fit and improves his work rate on defense, he might move ahead of Ching on the depth chart. He brings speed and power that Ching doesn't have, and there's no substitute for those.

Posted by: fischy | July 29, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I thought Chad Barret already played tonight in Toronto...

Good fun for Donovan. That's worth a text or two later.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Everton doesn't know how to take PKs

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but this is making me giddy, and that's really lame.

Keller vs. Howard

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

These are PKs!

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

This was fun for all the right reasons.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 29, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Blame Seattle.

Now MLS still hasn't officially lost...

Posted by: sitruc | July 29, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Well... After watching this, I feel very good about a full USMNT in a PK shootout.

Posted by: mason08 | July 29, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

yep sitruc, Seattle will completely shoulder the blame in losing this prestigious event. Thanks a lot Sounders...;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

So, Toronto played almost all their big guns -- taking the CCL play-on seriously -- and they still dropped a home game against Puerto Rico. I realize the Islanders live a charmed existence in the CCL, but this is a bit embarrassing. Puts DCU's result last night in some perspective.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but this is making me giddy, and that's really lame.

Keller vs. Howard

===

New Hotness wins out over Old and Busted.

Posted by: mason08 | July 30, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Not sure why Keller didn't move for a couple of those. Unless they hit it at right at you, you're not going to save a shot without guessing one way or the other.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Holden with the assist!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 29, 2009 10:04 PM |
------------------------------------------------

So, I guess you don't have to be a reserve on the DCU bench to make a boneheaded giveaway on defense. Cheer up, Janicki -- maybe you could wear an All-Star jersey one day.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Instead of a musical act, there was a freestyle dribbler at halftime?

Posted by: sitruc | July 30, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

As you all probably noticed watching ESPN2 last night, the XGames is going down at the Home Depot center through the weekend.
Wonder if I can get a live feed of the women's street final?;-)

Big Air finals tonight at 9pm eastern...Will Brazilian Bob Burnquist handle his business as usual?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I was joking originally but it looks like 360 will actually have women's street finals. I'm really only familiar with live football feeds. Does anyone have any tips on trying to watch something like that elsewhere?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

dadryan: why would I have watched ESPN2 last night?

Posted by: Reignking | July 30, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Uhhm. Catch up on NASCAR? ;-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 30, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"Keller did not play in Turkey. ESPN is right, you guys are wrong. He played in Germany (Moenchengladbach), Spain (Rayo Vallecano) and several English sides. Y'all are thinking of Brad Friedel's time with Galatassaray."

I stand corrected (all bald keepers look alike to me). But England is still not a country.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

But England is still not a country.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 10:14 AM
-----------------------------------------------

Tell that to FIFA.

Posted by: fischy | July 30, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

FIFA? The FIFA cartographers have Israel in Europe, Australia in Asia, Guyana and Suriname in North/Central America, and Blatter in charge.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 30, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The name "Blatter" makes me giggle, sounds like a really bad horn player. "He can play decently in an ensemble, but as a soloist he's a real Blatter."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 30, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse