Arnoux to England

Wake Forest's Cody Arnoux, an all-American forward who contributed 32 goals and 16 assists the past two seasons, has decided to skip his senior season and sign with an English club, two sources confirmed to the Insider. A formal announcement is expected this week. Arnoux is represented by First Wave Sports, which handles dozens of Americans in MLS and abroad.

UPDATE: It's Everton. Arnoux arrived in England on Wednesday.

By Steve Goff  |  July 22, 2009; 7:55 PM ET
Categories:  College Soccer , England
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Video: United-Rhinos
Next: USA-Mexico TV Saga (Continued)

Comments

How does he qualify?

Posted by: JkR- | July 22, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Heh, thought it was about Arnaud for a second, not Arnoux.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 22, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

rumor is he's getting an italian passport through family

Posted by: jezz | July 22, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

That's a late and significant loss for the Demon Deacons.

Could another WFC match be going to PKs?

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Respect. Seriously. Through much of this 25-year project to develop American soccer (which began @ RFK with Team America), the idea that an American forward, born and raised on Long Island, could move from an NCAA team straight to any English team (I'm guessing that it must be at least a Championship-level team) was laughable. Apparently, even the NCAA programs are now getting a measure of respect abroad. We've come a long way, baby.

Now, on to specifics -- He's been repeatedly linked with Everton. He accompanied Peterlin to train with Everton in March. Can you confirm it is Everton? If so, that trial may one day be the stuff of legends....

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Club America has taken the lead. Both America goals have come from great balls.

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

I found this item in teh SI archives:

In Their Wake

With Wake Forest's stunning exit from the College Cup, speculation has begun about the Demon Deacons' outstanding lineup and who has a pro future. How high will forward Marcus Tracy and midfielder Sam Cronin be selected in next month's MLS draft? Are junior forward Cody Arnoux (17 goals) and sophomore midfielder Corben Bone (17 assists) ready for the next level? Will sophomore defender Ike Opara leave school early? We'll know the answer to all of those questions in the coming weeks.

However, one item I can share: Senior midfielder Michael Lahoud, a four-year starter from Annandale, Va., has drawn preliminary interest from German-based representatives. No specific clubs to pass along at the moment.

For those of you who have seen Wake play regularly this year, what are your thoughts on their professional candidates?
By Steve Goff | December 13, 2008; 2:47 PM ET
---------------------------------------------

That must have been some team, huh? Interestingly, Lahoud may be the slowest to develop, though he does play with Chivas. Opara is still in school but would be a top pick in the draft next year (we'll get to see him in the U20 Cup). It'll be interesting to see how high Bone's ceiling is.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I was hoping DCU poached Arnoux next year (akin to another Pontius).

Fischy - how are you watching the U20 tourney? Flying to Egypt?

I expect Opara will sign with a European team post-U20.

Posted by: J_S_F | July 22, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Also starting on that team: Lyle Adams (spurned DCU this year for USL) and Danny Wenzel who is also in the U20 player pool. Some team.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Evan Brown is with Seattle.

Posted by: J_S_F | July 22, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Excellent analysis, Fischy, but the term is 'shunned', not 'spurned'....

....although I guess we could all switch...

Posted by: JkR- | July 22, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Re: Gooch tonight

Looked a little tight, and the goal didn't help but he set up several good chances late that were shanked.

On the goal, it kind of reminded me of Namoff's own goal this past weekend in that both defender's seemed to be surprised that their goalies held their line at the critical moment. It looked to me that Gooch assumed anything over his head, in the air, within the penalty box, would be covered.

Bad decision, but it was a great ball, well taken, and Gooch was working with that keeper for all of 6 minutes or so.

It ended up as entertaining as a Mexican team vs an Italian team could ever be in a friendly, which is not much.

Posted by: JkR- | July 22, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

@J_S_F -- I am assuming. Last time around, the games were on ESPNU. After the Confederations Cup successs, I'm sure that we can expect at least that. Maybe ESPN360. Possibly even ESPN2, or Classic. If ESPN doesn't snap it up, I'm sure FSC will step in.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

If I'm not mistaken, Wake's Nick Millington might head overseas as well. He apparently also has a family connection for a european passport.

Posted by: troy6 | July 22, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

A mess of a play allows the US to finally take the lead over Canada in the 89th minute.

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

So, if Lyle Adams can make the jump to MLS or some other country's first-division, and current Wake players Austin da Luz and (Baltimore native) goalie Akira Fitzgerald make that jump as well...it would be a clean sweep. Every player on the 2008 championship side. Damn impressive, though we still have to wait and see about those last 3 (and see if Peterlin and Arnoux actually get some time with the Everton -- or some other -- senior side).

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I mean every starter...not every player.

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

And, forget I just mentioned Peterlin. Other than that, I stand by my remarks. Pending further corrections...

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Peterlin didn't travel with Everton and is not on their squad for the friedlies here in America

Posted by: spikeman | July 22, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

More importantly will Arnoux be with them for the MLS All-Star game?

Posted by: sitruc | July 22, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

So, are we calling Everton "Everica" or "Amerton" following all their American recent interest?

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 22, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

@Fischy: I thought that I read somewhere (probably that pit called USSoccer - that U20 wasn't being broadcasted, we'll see.

Also, WF was the 2007 champion (MD won in 2008).

Millington wasn't a starter. Jamie Franks was the RM - not Da Luz.

Fitz is not professional quality - I'm not sure that he's WF quality!

But, I still contend that WF was the best team in 2008;

Posted by: J_S_F | July 22, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I knew there'd be corrections....

I wasn't counting Millington, but I did see that da Luz started in the NCAAs in '08. Maybe not all the games.

I think what ussoccer says is that you can follow the matches on their match tracker. I'm not sure they've said there won't be TV coverage. But, as you say, we'll see (or, we won't).

Posted by: fischy | July 22, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, it would be great if they made their way to the senior side, but they don't need to. Their experience would be a professional boon in itself.

Hope they just don't poison the pipe line.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 23, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse