Blatter, DCU, All-Stars, Barca, Becks

Sorry for the absence -- I spent an extra day in the Bay Area with Brother of Insider. Shout-outs to Angel Island, KFOG's Acoustic Sunrise-Sunset, Los Pinos in South S.F., Inkas in Lower Mission District, Marnee Thai and Park Chow in Inner Sunset and Horizons in Sausalito.

*Read Post colleague Liz Clarke's chat with FIFA bossman Sepp Blatter today in Washington.

*Take a look at my preview of the D.C. United-Firpo clash at RFK on Tuesday night in the Champions League.

*Houston has been awarded the 2010 MLS All-Star Game. The venue -- Robertson Stadium or Reliant Stadium -- will be determined by the popularity of the international opponent.

*More than 70,000 tickets have been sold for the Galaxy-Barcelona friendly Saturday at the Rose Bowl.

*Video of the Beckham circus in Kansas City on Saturday. After watching this, I kind of feel sorry for him. What's wrong with some of these people? Watch:

By Steve Goff  |  July 27, 2009; 7:59 PM ET
Categories:  Beckham , CONCACAF , D.C. United , FIFA , MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Kickaround
Next: Poll: Gold Cup

Comments

Why wouldn't Quaranta be ready for tomorrow night's game? He didn't play much in the past few Gold Cup games and he shouldn't have any jet lag.

Firpo is in preseason but may still be pretty tough. In the Group stage last year the Dynamo beat them in Houston in the final game to edge them out of 2nd place by 1 point (Pumas won that group). We need to beat them in RFK as they were able to get ties at home against both Pumas and Houston last fall.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 27, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Is there something wrong with wanting to punch David Beckham in the throat?

Posted by: alan19 | July 27, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

"The United States has a good chance of hosting the 2018 World Cup if soccer's governing body adheres to its principle of rotating the massive sporting event continent to continent, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said Monday."

"Sepp Blatter is a big fat liar" would have been a better headline.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 27, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Steve, I agree completely. As of now, I am off the Beckham hater bandwagon.

Reminds me of an incendent I witnessed in the bleachers Wrigley Field with Daryl Strawberry. During BP, as nice as he could be, a guy gets Daryl's attention and tosses him a ball and a pen to sign it with. He makes nice with Daryl as he signs the ball, but as soon as the guy gets the ball/pen back, he unleashes a torrent of profanity that burned my ears.

The guy (the "fan")later was hit in the head with a ball that I like to think Straberry hit during BP.

Posted by: cjjjbpass | July 27, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing Beckham can do to make me like him. I liked him better before I knew he was a reptile.

I really want to see Szetela start. Well, maybe "see" is not the right word, as I am currently in PA, but whatever.

If I were coach, I would start Fred as playmaker and tell him, "If you aren't responsible for two goals, I'm firing you." Either way, it would be a good indicator.

Late appearance for Quaranta, PLEASE.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 27, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

DC may have it a little easier vs. Houston on Saturday with Onstad and Mulrooney hurt, Ching fatigued, and Ricardo Clarke being sold to Livorno.

Posted by: AnthonyTheGreat | July 27, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

David Beckham doesn't deserve to catch as much crap as he has. That guy in the blue shirt was pathetic. I laughed hard when he was talking about the stuff he was yelling at Beckham. The English guy who insulted Beckham was kind of a joke too. Beckham is still good enough to wear an England shirt, while that guy is sitting in minor league baseball park in KC paying to sit field level to watch Becks. I don't understand why some people get off from heckling the hell out of this guy.

A happy David Beckham is good for MLS and the level of play in MLS. I don't blame the guy for seeking the Milan loan deals once he learned that Capello was boss (and Becks learned he'd have a shot at the lineup again). He's world class. I totally sided with Donovan in the war of words, but I think MLS fans are treating Beckham unfairly (especially fans of his own team).

Posted by: davethelad | July 27, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

am i supposed to be bothered by beckham or by mr. insufferable youtube jackass?

Posted by: stairs | July 27, 2009 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I hate the crap that Becks is going through -- but I think what I hate more is the joy that idiot got, thinking he proved something and that he is some sort of man.

Posted by: Reignking | July 27, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if any of those idiots would trade places with Beckham. Of course they would.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 27, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

After seeing his interview with Rob Stone after the KC game which was shown on SkySports news earlier it is clear that Beckham just doesn't "get it". He said the LARS were "a disgrace". So much for putting the incident behind them. He is a self-centered jerk. I don't really feel sorry for him. At the end of the day he still has millions to count.

Posted by: fedssocr | July 27, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's gotten pretty stupid now. The anti-Beckham fervor has become kind of weird and witch-hunt-ish. At this point, it's like people are just dumping negative energy on the guy for the hell of it.

He may or may not have been fully committed to the Galaxy this past year, but it seems pretty likely these past two weeks have driven him away from MLS for good. MLS fans have a right to be passionate, but they shouldn't be so naively negative. In the back of my mind, I'm even starting to wonder if this is poisoning the well for other prospective European stars.

If Galaxy fans are savvy, they'll ease back, let the guy perform, and back him as they would any other player wearing their shirt.

Posted by: ChristopherMc | July 27, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Goff - Great YouTube link for the game/crowd footage. While Beckham has done himself no favors with his personal ambitions, it sucks that people find joy in blasting him so. I was actually glad to see that the jokers who were giving Beckham grief were complete idiots. But what more can you expect from KCW fans? :)

Posted by: nytshade71 | July 27, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | July 27, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

"If negative energy directed towards a player would make him leave MLS, why is Landon Donovan still here?"

I didn't contend that negative energy directed toward "a player" would push "a player" away from MLS. I'm contending that negative energy directed toward David Beckham, specifically, may push him away from MLS.

He has a distinct set of circumstances and opportunities. Landon Donovan has a distinct set of circumstances and opportunities. Chris Rolfe has a distinct set of circumstances and opportunities. Etc. etc.

I was making a specific point about David Beckham, not a general point about negative energy and MLS players.

Posted by: ChristopherMc | July 27, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

WHY did he feel it responsible and/or important to, while holding the ball for a throw in to put the game back in play, go and shake that man's hand?

This is about him, and him alone.

I don't feel sorry for him yet.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 27, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I fear that when Beckham is done in MLS (whether that's at the end of the year or a couple more after the 2010 cup) he's going to let a lot of European players that we would love to see play here that it's not worth their time.

Maybe some people enjoy being able to walk up to the gate and get a cheap ticket where they can move down through the empty seats to yell at people field level, but I'd actually like to see the league improve.

Posted by: joe_hill | July 27, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it be funny for Blatter to just start telling the unvarnished truth? It would be like Dave Chappelle's remake of "Deep Impact". I can see it now: "You want the World Cup? Bribe me, son! Bribe me right now, I don't care!"

I'm sure FIFA can somehow figure out a way to just give UEFA every single World Cup (considering they just hosted 2 of the last 3, 3 of the last 5, and 4 of the last 7). The kicker is that UEFA would still find something to complain about.

As for DCU-Firpo, I hope Soehn isn't planning on resting too many players. I am especially nervous that Janicki and John are being mentioned as possible starters; Janicki has looked very uncomfortable in a back three, while John hasn't looked good at any point in a DC shirt. Of course, if we just give the ball away like we did in SJ, it won't matter if we sign Gooch on loan just for this game. The absence of Simms as someone able to play simple, uncomplicated possession passes was all too obvious. If Firpo did their scouting, they will be playing their fastest wide players and playing a high line to shrink our space in midfield. Hopefully their rustiness will negate any advantages they've picked up watching us play.

High marks for the "Phony Beckham mania has bitten the dust" banner. It's not even really a slight against Beckham, but rather the many bandwagon jumpers out there.

The "punch him in the throat" guy...not so much. Actually, that canceled out the good work of the banner in my mind. I hope my dislike for Beckham, which is based on the fact that he plays for the Galaxy and England, does not get bundled in with the mob mentality scorn that's happening for no good reason.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 27, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I have to side with ChristopherMc and davethelad. Those hassling Becks need to get a life. They aren't helping the league any, or their teams, in the long run.

Posted by: fischy | July 27, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Somebody please punch me in my throat if I ever turn into those gymbags who actually allowed themselves to be interviewed by that nobody. He's damned if he does, he's damned if he don't. I don't think the guy deserves anyone any apology. He's paid his fine and also paid MLS a butt load of money to stay in Italy when he did. Sucks to be him I guess.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 27, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Also not getting why Quaranta wouldn't be ready for tomorrow night. Or why you'd be starting reserves. Qualifying for Champions League is hella important. Isn't that why DCU actually made an effort to win the Open Cup last year?

Play reserves on the weekend vs a dejected and beat up Houston.
DCU should come out with the intention of stomping on Firpo if they can. Is this round just straight aggregate? Or do away goals come into play?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 27, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

As I've said before - the league has a problem with nerd rage.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 27, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I am also confused by the note about Quaranta. I imagine he is probably fresher than most of his United teammates. Perhaps he won't start -- just because he hasn't practiced with the team in a while -- but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play.

As for Blatter's remarks -- I'm confused by them as well. Wasn't he the guy who lead the charge to scrap the rotation system? Now, he's suggesting it might be reinstated? Fat chance of that -- at least, not beyond 2018. If the USA gets it, it won't mean a reinstatement of the rotation. That would mean the 2022 cup would go to Asia, presumably Australia, and then they wouldn't get back to Europe until 2026. They won't stay away from Europe for two decades. The original rotation proposal is dead, and it's not coming back. The only thing FIFA might accept is a modified rotation that awards the Cup to Europe every 12 or 16 years.

Posted by: fischy | July 27, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

Wikipedia had the following (take it with a grain of salt):

"In contrast to the Champions' Cup, the away goals rule will be used in the Champions League, but will not apply after a tie has gone into extra time."

Still trying to find the rules for the tournament on Concacaf.com.

Posted by: addick | July 27, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Sounds familiar addick.
Seriously though, DC better not be phoning this in.
Screw it I'm gonna take a crack at the line up.
Wallace is for Champions League but out for this weekends league match right? Any other developments other than Simms and Boyzzz out and Szetela and Allen in? Did DCU sign a young defender? aGggghhh.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 27, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

pretty mild treatment for Mr. Posh.

Posted by: J_S_F | July 27, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I've never understood how supporting a team and sport can lead to such anger (as directed at Beckham, and routinely Donovan), as common as that is.

Where's the fun when you're consumed with anger??

I say that as a lifelong Steeler fan, where I've seen it close up (both incoming and outgoing, about equal). Never made any sense to me that supporting a team meant hatred toward other teams or individuals.

Root for them to fail on the field? Sure! But the anger routinely displayed by some 'fans' is a mystery to me. Where's the 'fun' in dwelling in that kind of anger?

Posted by: JkR- | July 27, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Y'all may be jumping the gun on the Clark-to-Livorno thing. The only real source I've found here is an Italian story that says they expect to finalize a deal. Doesn't say it's done. Tribal-football -- I don't know the source for this -- reports that the Dynamo don't want to lose him and are actually going to make Clark a contract offer. Not saying the deal isn't going to happen, but it seems further from completion than the comments indicate.

Posted by: fischy | July 27, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

@Dad -- The young defender is David Habarigura. Goff reported that might e weeks away....So long as they're talking to him, there won't be other moves (barring any trade or other major injuries).

Posted by: fischy | July 27, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

The only person allowed to actually wear a sleeveless tshirt out in public is Johnny Chase.

That clown in the blue cut-off definitely is not Johnny Drama.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | July 27, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | July 27, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Anything that gets the opposing players off their game is fair game, as far as I'm concerned. It might not be the nicest thing to unleash expletives and foul comments, but it can be done in other ways. The way Fat Zach Thornton was rattled at MLS Cup 2004 is a great example of the crowd doing it's part, for the most part cleanly. Clearly Donovan and Beckham are made of sterner stuff. The crap Donovan took after he came back from Germany was stellar. He responded with goals and wins. Becks seems immune to the vitriol from the stands, however he continues to display disdain and ignorance towards the American fan. We all know he's here for a paycheck, until he can get someone else to pick up the tab. I'm glad the LARS is sticking it to him. I just wish more people saw through the charade that was M. Gallardo last season. Or at least he was around somewhat at the beginning of this season so we could have given him a proper send off.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | July 27, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Not Fat Thorton - Bo Knows

Posted by: J_S_F | July 28, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Becks: You should not be wearing that England shirt.

KCW Fan: Neither should you, your past it.

CLASSIC

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ | July 28, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

How can I feel sorry for a man that makes millions upon millions of dollars to go out in a field and kick a ball around? Yes, those hassling him are fools, but you know what that's just the way it is get over it. If he didn't indulge himself every time a fan with a voice that carries calls him out then I might feel differently. After all the money he's gotten he still carries himself on the field like a selfish fool, only outdone by those in the stands calling him out for being one.

I enjoy your writing and reporting Goff, but I'm afraid some perspective is needed. How can you feel bad for this man? He makes more in a month than you or any most of us would/could make in 5 years. How can you feel any sorrow for him?

I'm not gonna call the guy out like a fool, but to argue that he doesn't deserve such treatment is what is sad here.

Posted by: pittmancb | July 28, 2009 2:50 AM | Report abuse

That dude has great teeth.

Posted by: Conservativemindsareinshackles | July 28, 2009 3:04 AM | Report abuse

you know what's interesting... the riot squad didn't wear shirts that said "Posh was here" with an arrow pointing to a crotch. nor did the riot squad EVER mention anything about his wife. KC fans did...if anything those guys should be catching flak. LA fans (at the least the knowledgable ones) boo'd him because of his lack of commmitment and the circus he has brought on the team while he's on a desperate/individual mission to make WC 2010. we don't fault him for that...we do fault his comments and continual desire to play for milan. because the real fans would rather he just leave to fulfill his dream instead of brining all this circus with him

Posted by: realgalaxyfan | July 28, 2009 3:37 AM | Report abuse

Like I said before and this certainly proves it, most sports fans are morons . . .

Posted by: LCR-54 | July 28, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

The highest paid player in MLS history is having his feelings hurt. Poor guy. But if he leaves, how will LA possibly fill the void of his 5 goals and 13 assists in 32 games?

Oh I got it. With a guy who makes $20,000 a year.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | July 28, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Becks: You should not be wearing that England shirt.

KCW Fan: Neither should you, your past it.

CLASSIC

Posted by: uknowmeas-GQ

I wonder if he spelled it correctly when he said it. Classic.

Posted by: Reignking | July 28, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

realgalaxyfan has it right. If I was a LARS member, I would be upset at Becks not for the coin he makes, not even for the loan time away. I would be upset by the way he tried to blow off my team, skip town and caused a media circus while not getting the team anywhere in terms of the wins and losses.

Posted by: lrg1231 | July 28, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Someone correct me on who is hurt and or available for DCU's match tonight.

Boyzzz and Simms out?
Allen and Szetela available?
Wallace is available tonight, but not this weekend?
Is Gomez hurt?
I missed the match this past weekend, and I feel like I'm missing something.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 28, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

All the hating has gotten old.

The guy is a footballer, not a saint. There is no need to hold him to high standards or ask him to show a love and dedication for the team or the league. You would go to Milan too, wouldn't you?

I also worry that this will discourage other potential high-profile European types from crossing the pond.

Posted by: WorldCup | July 28, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Not Fat Thorton - Bo Knows

Posted by: J_S_F | July 28, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

That's right, thanks Joe. What ever happened to Bo anyway? Wasn't he riding the pine somewhere recently?

-J!