Ching Fined by MLS ..... for Tweet

Houston Dynamo star Brian Ching has been fined $500 by MLS for an entry on his Twitter account during Saturday's controversial match at Seattle. His Tweet: "Ref in seattle just cheated the dynamo. What a joke. Not even close. Ref is a cheat"

Ching didn't play in the game. In fact, he wasn't even with the Dynamo. Because of U.S. national team duty, he was on the other side of the country in Foxborough, Mass., for a Gold Cup match and watched on TV/laptop.

The next morning, he wrote on Twitter: "I apologize for the comment which i made in the heat of the moment. Everyone tries their best and mistakes happen."

With 1,800 Twitter followers, Ching's comments weren't exactly public criticism. (Ashton Kutcher has 2.8 million.) Or were they? Your thoughts.....

Here's what inspired Ching's "outburst":

By Steve Goff  |  July 16, 2009; 3:06 PM ET
Categories:  MLS
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Szetela Excused for Few Days
Next: United Wins Open Cup Rights

Comments

Well, if saying it to a microphone and camera results in a fine, so should a tweet.

Frankly, he over-egged the pudding there a bit.

Posted by: JkR- | July 16, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

we walked in line
we walked in line
we walked in line
we walked in line
....

Posted by: nairbsod | July 16, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm waiting to hear what Kinnear's punishment is. He made similar statements ("same linesman that jobbed us two years ago" or something to that effect), but he did it on TV.

Sad thing is, they're both right. Houston got totally hosed. Not reasonably debateable.

Posted by: christopher_a_metzler | July 16, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Huge joke by the MLS. I am go on the record and actually agree with Ching -who I dislike- and say yes the referee is a cheat. That ball was no where close to crossing the line.

The MLS should instead look to improve the quality of officiating.

And what exactly is a Twitter or tweet....?

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 16, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Stupid. I saw his tweet, and I don't even twitter. It's not like he told a lie or anything. That ball was clearly never over the line. Hey did MLS ever have anything to say about the idiot "fan" in Seattle that threw the bottle at Keller? Maybe they should spend less time worrying about Tweets and more time wondering if any pissed off drunk fans will throw stuff at Keller when he comes to RFK? Hmmmmmmmmm?

I guess it's a lesson to all these sports guys putting that stuff out there, but still...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Twitter follower = lazy journalism.

Posted by: mediaman1976 | July 16, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

It's been proven that refs only cheat for money. Take a look at his bank account, not his on-the-field actions.

Now, blindness, on the other hand...

Posted by: daggar | July 16, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"going" not "go" I am a fool for not proofreading.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 16, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I meant threw the bottle at Wicks.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Ching wasn't even part of the game, right? Sheesh.

Posted by: Reignking | July 16, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

ka-Ching! Brian's wallet is a little lighter.

Who's Ashton Kutcher?

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 16, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Ok, looking at the replay, that's an impossible call to make. The ref can't be in position to know which side of the line the ball is, and the AR is screened by the defender.
An incorrect call, but until refs are replaced by the Stanley Laser-Level 3000 [which will really cut down on dissent], how exactly does this show favoritism -- or cheating?

Posted by: daggar | July 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, there's 3 worse calls than that in every game, MLS or anywhere else.

Granted that was an expensive error, but I had to wait for the 5th slow mo before I felt pretty sure the call was wrong.

I tend to get more chapped by calls / non calls that escalate games from 'argy bargy' to 'fracas' and endanger the health of the players.

Posted by: JkR- | July 16, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Not even close. He didn't even confer with the linesman.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 16, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible the assistant ref (is that what they call them these days?) saw the defender's white shoe over the line and thought it was the ball? The center ref had to go by his assistant's decision, since the center was not in the right position to make the call.

Well in, JkR.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 16, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I should have had to pay a parking fine a couple of months ago in Silver Spring. I pulled into the metered lot about 12 minutes before the metering ended for the night. And, I was there volunteering nearby. Still got a ticket. Still had to pay.

Posted by: fischy | July 16, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Ching is lucky it was only $500 fine and not a suspension. It's one thing to say the assistant referee blew the call or is an incompetent boob, but to say he is a cheat is to say he knew that it was not a goal, but called it a goal anyway for some dishonest reason. To say he is a cheat is to say he was paid off, had money riding on the game. Not league is going to let a player/coach/owner say a referee is dishonest without imposing a fine or suspension.

Posted by: cpfcfan | July 16, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm one of the 1,800 so I saw it shortly after it was posted (along with the two subsequent tweets apologizing -- presumably encouraged by the Dynamo front office) and my immediate thought was "he's getting fined for that." It was also the talk of some message boards/forums, some of which I'm sure the league and teams have people reading, so the audience was certainly not that limited.

All that said, he was right, and the fine is a joke, but allowing criticism of the officials is a slippery slope I guess.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | July 16, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Come on Brian. The Referees are terrible because they have no talent, not because they are paid off. Seriously, who would pay them off anyway? The players have no money except for Beckham, and rumor has it he doesn't like to splash it around.

Posted by: BelovedCartoonMouse | July 16, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

No suprise he got fined...especially since Ching said the ref cheated. Incorrect call, clearly, but "cheating" is debatable. The Dynamo got cheated, but I doubt it was a blatantly intentional miscall just to benefit Seattle.

That said players and coaches routinely get fined in all sports when they complain about the officiating. I think its wrong personally, so long as they criticize the calls they should be allowed. If you call someone a cheat, thats a little different.

Posted by: Brian76 | July 16, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the AR made it close to the 6-yd line before the ball went in. He would've had to see through the defender's back to know for certain.
The referee was at the 20-yd line.
He certainly didn't go over and talk to the AR, but I'll bet the AR signaled 'goal'.

Posted by: daggar | July 16, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@HowdyDCU I was thinking the same thing when I saw Ching's Tweet over the weekend.

@cpfcfan You're correct, in my view, that his comment about the referee being a "cheat" is what forced the MLS to take action. It escalates the criticism from bad judgment into questioning the ref's honesty.

The Dynamo need to have an all-hands-on-deck social media conference, given Ching's Tweet and their goalkeeper coach scathing blog post about DC United a few months ago.

Posted by: billindmd | July 16, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

It is always this way with Soccer... the ref (or ref's assistant) completely ruins a game with horrible calls... players and/or coaches say ANYTHING and they're hit with punishments up the wazoo... while we rarely hear of any real action against the ref!

Posted by: rose-family1 | July 16, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Ching's sentiments (I'll even give him "cheat" since it was a heat-of-the-moment thing), but I did feel like he was gonna get in trouble for it when I saw the tweet.

Posted by: crynyd | July 16, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Everything that Twitter offers I need less of." Kanye West

Posted by: OWNTF | July 16, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

If public criticism of MLS officials is a fineable offense, why should the medium matter? People keep treating twitter like it's a brand new concept. It's just a freaking microblog.

Posted by: tundey | July 16, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

As soon as I saw it shortly after he posted, I knew it would be the first MLS fine for a tweet.

Posted by: sitruc | July 16, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Sen. Bob Graham is twittering? He was clearly a man ahead of his time.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 16, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JkR- | July 16, 2009 3:31 PM |

What exactly is a worse call than giving up a goal? getting tossed and giving up a goal. otherwise there really isn't anything to compare, and in this case it was a game winner (margin of victory was one goal).

The AR blew it, but at least he was in position on the endline to sell the call. position is everything on those close goals. MLS needs to bite the bullet and institute a replay for just this type of situation and nothing else, screw FIFA and their traditionalist ways. Cap the review at one minute and add it on to the additional time at the end of the half.

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | July 16, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Never ever confuse ineptitude with corruption. That's being a lazy fanboy.

When in doubt, the goal shouldn't have been given. But I defy you all to make that call at speed from 38 yards away without the benefit of replay. I DEFY you.

(BTW, they're going to have to get Mike Chabala, too.)

Posted by: very_clever_username | July 16, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

This pisses me off. Perhaps CLS for Communist League Soccer is a more appropriate name for a league that controls everything about every team and prohibits any dissent in any form whether right or wrong.

Posted by: AtlantaMLS | July 16, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

^^^^^^^What he said

Goal line calls are difficult, especially if the ball is cleared in mid air. Refs aren't robots. The Brazil non goal in the Confed final was probably a worse call.

As you read in my post (you read it all?), I said it was an expensive mistake, but refs make a half dozen a game, as they do in most sports. And lots result in goals / no goals. Lots.

Posted by: JkR- | July 16, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Twit!

Posted by: BlackandRedRedDevil | July 16, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

A great quote I once read on the Sunday Herald by Ian Bell:

"But let me be even more simplistic than usual: the referee's decision is final. That's the game. Take it away and you might as well put the ball up over the slates once and finally. Question his parentage, if you like. Question, if you must, his tribal devotions. Nevertheless, if you argue with the official, if you talk back, insinuate, or insult, the sport loses all meaning."

Singling out the ref for a match among 22 men is the end of appreciation for what sports are.

Posted by: JkR- | July 16, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Grant Wahl will be the interview guest in the second segment on PTI today.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 16, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Ha, Ha. Josh Wicks has got Ivan Carter in goal on Washingtonpostlive... Wicks is taking PKs. Ha, ha... ha!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 16, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by AtlantaMLS:

-----------

Get a clue. MLS is a business. Ching is an employee. Why should MLS accept Ching publicly declaring that a ref is a cheat...especially since he has VIRTUALLY NO EVIDENCE?

At most, he has debatable evidence of a mistake, not of cheating.

Ching is an idiot. So is anyone who thinks his tweet was acceptable.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 16, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I wrote (in the post above this one):

"Ching is an idiot. So is anyone who thinks his tweet was acceptable."

I stand by the first sentence, but with some reflection I now think the second was uncalled for.

My apologies.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | July 16, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

If in fact the AR was parallel to the 6-yard box when the shot was taken, than he is out of position to make that call and the ref blew it by not discussing the merits of the goal before restarting the game. Both officials failed at the obvious. AS for Ching's comment, MLS was correct in fining him, yet, the MLS needs to reinvent its officiating, it's below par. Watch them work the exhibitions with clubs like Clesea, AC Milan, etc., they'll never make the same calls as they do in the MLS.

Posted by: juke2 | July 16, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Prince: exactly. Say he's blind. Say he's incompetant, if you must, but the word 'cheat' has a specific meaning in sport, it means the person knew what he was doing was wrong, but did it anyway for personal advantage. You can't call someone a cheat, impugn his honesty and that of the game, without some serious evidence. Brian should pay his $500 and be thankful it wasn't more.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 16, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I just twitted on Tweeter... or was it the other way around...? Anyway, Ching was correct. The call was incorrect. His choice of words was unfortunate and unwise.

Posted by: freeholdsouth | July 16, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

He did cheat. He didnt know it was a goal because he couldnt see and called it anyway, probably because of the Seattle fans behind him. Calling it a goal in this case is wrong and he knew it was wrong. It doesnt have to be for personal gain to be cheating. And he has serious evidence, its called a video, wherein you can tell that the ref had no idea what happened but called it goal. He doesnt need to prove any other motivation, its cheating. The ref should be fined $500 as well.

Posted by: ichigo_kurasaki | July 16, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Not even close. He didn't even confer with the linesman.

Posted by: FrancoNiell | July 16, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

===

He didn't need to. On a close call like that, it's the ARs call all the way.

Stop. Flag up. Eye contact with CR. Flag down. Run back towards the half way line.

Posted by: mason08 | July 16, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

====

You don't know the meaning of "cheat" do you. Here's a hint: it involves deception.

By his actions, and the CR's reaction to them, the AR thought it was a goal immediately. End of story (except that he could have been wrong, but that's another story).

Posted by: mason08 | July 16, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one to mis-read this headline and be surprised that Will Chang Tweets?

*blush*

Posted by: J_S_F | July 16, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

The refs make mistkaes...this was a very bad one. I don't think they Cheat. Any player/coach who calls the ref a cheater is going to get in trouble. Terrible call, not cheating, he deserves to be slapped on the wrist. Sorry Chingy.

Posted by: DC0071 | July 16, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

It was a horrible call. Chingy was right to criticize the ref. He never said the ref was a cheat, he said he cheated the Dynamo, which is completely obvious from that replay. I think that when a ref makes a mistake like that they should be fined just like when the players make mistakes and get fined from the league.

Posted by: michaelaramon | July 17, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

we need a sensor on the goal line, it will tell/show if the ball crossed completely or not. I dont understand, every sport has used technology to better officiating. Why hasent soccer?

Posted by: g3impreza | July 17, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"He never said the ref was a cheat, he said he cheated the Dynamo...

Posted by: michaelaramon | July 17, 2009 9:08 AM
----------------------------------------

Please take another look at the quote that Goff provided above.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Protest the fine by helping to raise $500 for charity!

http://www.gingetal ksthefooty.com/2009/ 07/brian-ching-fined -for-his-comment-of. html

Posted by: GTTF | July 20, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse