A Few Minutes With Dejan Jakovic

D.C. United's Dejan Jakovic rejoined the club Monday after a month with the Canadian national team -- a revealing stretch for the 24-year-old central defender who had only one previous cap but started in a June 30 friendly against Guatemala and in three of four Gold Cup matches. (After Canada clinched a quarterfinal berth, he was rested in the 2-2 tie with Costa Rica.) In his four appearances, Canada conceded just one goal -- the Honduran penalty kick Saturday in Philadelphia.

In need of a short break after all the games and cross-country travel (Los Angeles, Columbus, Miami, Philadelphia), he is not expected to be in uniform tonight for United's U.S. Open Cup semifinal against Rochester at Maryland SoccerPlex and plans to return to the lineup this weekend at San Jose.

"It's been a lot. I talked to the coaches, saw everyone [on Monday]. It's nice to be back. Saturday I should be ready to go."

Overall, how did things go for you and the national team?

"No one expected us to even get out of our group [with Costa Rica, El Salvador and Jamaica], so it was a great accomplishment for the team. I was happy to get a chance to actually play. They gave me the friendly against Guatemala and then they told me, 'We're going to have you start against Jamaica.' "

Tactically, was it an adjustment going from United to the Canadian squad?

"We play with four in the back with the national team and I thought it was a lot easier. I played middle right. You have your own side to worry about -- not as much running and covering. It was nice."

Do you think you made a strong impression on the Canadian coaches?

"I definitely think I did well. After the tournament, everyone with the national team told me I had some very good performances and that they look forward to seeing me again. The three games I played definitely helped me for the future."

What's next for Canada?

"There will probably be a few friendlies in the fall, probably in Europe. I would love to go, but obviously my club is important, so we'll see what the schedule is going to look like."

By Steve Goff  |  July 21, 2009; 2:27 PM ET
Categories:  Canada , D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mmmm, Burgers
Next: Matchnight: United-Rhinos

Comments

Goff,

Nice story.

Is Szetela going to be able to dress for tonight's game?

Posted by: no_recess | July 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Any update on Szetela's availability for tonight?

Posted by: silent-bob | July 21, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Does Szetela like Burger King?

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

No news is bad news: No word yet on Szetela. Doesn't look good for tonight's match.

Posted by: Steve Goff | July 21, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

There is a Burger King on Rte. 118 near the Plex. Did anyone check there?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Ballack broke his toe and won't play in Balto Friday.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 21, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Goff, did the Kingons get Szetela?

Posted by: Kosh2 | July 21, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Really, I don't think the problem is with having Burger King as a sponsor. The jerseys look silly because the logo is awful. Put the golden arches there, and it would look pretty cool.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

My first job was at the Burger King near the plex (back when it opened in 1984/85). I'm reasonably certain that there is nobody there.

Posted by: jmingus | July 21, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, when we get a team here, I think Chick-Fil-A makes sense as a shirt sponsor.

Surely Coca-Cola and UPS would get involved, too.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

if New York ever gets an MLS team they could get Snapple as a sponsor.

Posted by: bigbadbri | July 21, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Surely Coca-Cola and UPS would get involved, too.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish
===================================

there could also be a Home Depot Center II

Posted by: emanon13 | July 21, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Jakovic has been a great find for the United FO. Congrats to them.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 21, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I really think that if we played a back four (with a decent partner) complaints about this guy would vanish. If we have to heap all the responsibility on one sweeper (and we honestly do, the way our attack is set up) we have an outstanding player in Jakovic.

Now, need to find a left sided defender.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 21, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

there could also be a Home Depot Center II

Posted by: emanon13

There could be, but I'd imagine Coke would have something to say about that, and maybe Home Depot would like to stay away from that (although American Airlines hasn't), and I'm fairly certain Arthur Blank would prefer to play in the Dome, at least at first.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I like the Whopper from Burger King. Goff, do you know if Szetela likes BK Whoppers?

Posted by: TCompton | July 21, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Cmon! I already made that lame joke.

Posted by: Reignking | July 21, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Coke couldn't say anything about it if they wanted to. MLS is a Pepsi league, and won't allow teams to partner with competitors of league sponsors. Lowe's, Coke, Circuit City (oops...), and competitors of whatever Herbalife and Xango are are SOL.

I don't think there are any Christian-friendly chicken stores on the sponsorship train yet, though, so Chic-Fil-A should be good to go. But Atlanta would have to get a team first. And I'd insist that MLS require Chic-Fil-A to be open on Sundays - who's with me?

Posted by: TheAMT | July 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, unaware about the Pepsi/Coke rivalry thing. But at the same time, Coke could throw some serrrrrioius money at em.

I hate craving a Chick-Fil-A milkshake after the Telefutura game of the week.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Chick-Fil-A sponsors youth soccer at the MD Soccerplex. You want a shirt with the logo on it? I'll sell you some of my son's game-worn shirts.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 21, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheAMT | July 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I've always said that if I won a big enough lottery to buy out the Cathy family's stake in Chick-fil-A, the first thing I'd do is open up every CfA store on Sundays.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 21, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back Dejan. I sure hope United can win tonight, and seriously it is pathetic that there is no live feed of this game tonight. An expansion team is making DCU look like bumbling amateurs who don't care about their fans. Semi-final not on TV or computer? I know i got the nice understanding email from Doug Hicks, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a bigger pain in the but to get to the Soccer Plex for me than a stadium in PG county ever would have been.

Is it true that the beers are more expensive at the DCU matches out there than the Freedom games?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Is it just the CfA at Ballston Commons or do all of their fries taste like they've been cooked in rancid blubber?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan -- Imagine how the Rochester fans feel. They have to drive 11 hours if they want to see their team's biggest game in years.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

To be fair to the DCU FO on the feed issue, Seattle does have the entire force of the NFL's Seahawks backing them up in terms of logistics, facilities, expertise, and experience. I'm as annoyed as the next guy that I won't get to see the semi-final, but I don't blame the team.

Posted by: VercengetorixII | July 21, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I've always found CfA's waffle fries to be pretty tasty, and that covers shops in Indianapolis and Torrance, CA...so it might be just a Ballston issue.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 21, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Jackovic. He made a good account for himself on the backline for Canada! IF he continues his good play in DC, he could be the anchor on that Canadian backline for years to come. Kudos! Keep up the hard work!

Posted by: alan19 | July 21, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Seahawks have nothing to do with Starfire as far as I know, but I hear you on the seemingly endless amounts of cash and resources the Sounders have at their finger tips.

I'm just bitter that DCU rewards season ticket holders with play in games and don't put in any effort to make this game watchable for their fans. USL does great broadcasting their games.
I don't blame the team, I blame the FO and their media department in particular. The new website, and dedication to web content, etc. is lost on me when I'll be stuck with a totally crappy radio signal, that will probably cut out during half time as it always does...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"DCU rewards season ticket holders with play in games and don't put in any effort to make this game watchable for their fans."
----------------------------------------------

Not sure what rewards you're talking about. Season-ticket holders felt screwed by that. They paid full fare for x number of games, and DCU throws them a curve by saying one or two (depending which plan) of those games will be a USOC play-in game. How is that a reward? The low # that showed up ought to be evidence of how few people had any interest in going, even if they were already holding tickets.

As for the bit about "their fans" ....What the heck do you think seasonticket holders are?

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"...I'll be stuck with a totally crappy radio signal, that will probably cut out during half time as it always does..."
-----------------------------------------

You clearly have a 'puter at your disposal. Shouldn't that dispense with the need to rely on said crappy radio signal?

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 21, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I was being sarcastic about the reward fischy. What I'm saying is that you guys got d!cked, and so am I.
@cow_pasture: can you make yourself useful and post a link to the radio feed? Another thing that DCU should make easily navigable from their website don't you think? I can find you tons of great bike related links, but I don't know crap about listening to AM radio on the internet..duh.
plus I was on my back porch eating pizza, and drinking beer. My puter' don't work out there.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

so did I. or so am I at this moment.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 21, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

You've probably found the next thread by now. If not, this is the radio link that Goff provided there:

(Follow the 1050 AM link.)

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 21, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse