D.C. United's Taste Test

From Washingtonian magazine's "Best Of....." issue this month:

dc united guac0001.pdf

By Steve Goff  |  July 1, 2009; 9:45 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DCU, USA, Esky, Ricketts, Revs
Next: Thursday Kickaround

Comments

Interesting... Is anyone else having trouble getting the video to work on the Houston game?

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

At least the Sounders/Portland game is working. 0-0 for Houston.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Just finished watching the Nacional-Estudiantes game. Very well played and finished 2-1 to Estudiantes and 3-1 on aggregate. It makes me wish MLS teams could compete in that competition.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 1, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I saw the new issue on the rack. Just might have to pick that up for the archive. Thanks for the link Goff.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Hooray for Veron!! He's coming to DCU after Estudiantes win the Cup, right?

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Why do I get the feeling that Benny O looks like that every night at the dinner table . .

Posted by: delantero | July 1, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Suzuki looks pretty good for Portland. Despite his age I think we could use him considering we aren't very deep in the forward position. He plays a style similar to that of Jaime's.

Posted by: GoUnited | July 1, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

OMG, I was going to make a joke about how long it would take for someone to talk about Suzuki.... No more Old farts please, I don't care if they're japanese! Ha!

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

At least he's not a defender from South America ;)

Posted by: GoUnited | July 1, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit I'm stunned that a player with Suzuki's pedigree is playing for a USL side.

Jacqua was just robbed. Linesman totally blew that offside call.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Suzuki is also younger than at least two key DCU players.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Over 16,000 for a USOC game? How many DCU crowds for league games have been bigger than that? For that matter, how many MLS league games not involving Seattle, Toronto (and maybe Blanco) have had crowds that big?

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Now this is entertaining soccer...Timbers Army are in full throat tonight.

Wonder if the PNW supporters will come east en masse in the upcoming years...could be fun with Timbers Army, Emerald City and Vancouver facing off against the Barra/Eagles, Red Patch Boys, Sons of Ben, and the Nordecke.

Montero just replaced Le Toux for Sounders.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 1, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

The Timers have in intriguing roster. Some ex-MLSers like Cronin, Knowles and Pore. A Gen Adidas loaner in Nimo. A former Japanese nat'l team mainstay in Suzuki, and a fixture in Ghana's youth teams in Keita. Also, a bunch of guys who had a cup of coffee in the MLS, and two former DC United players -- David Hayes and the wondrous Futty Danso (for all those wondering where Futty landed).

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I mean "Timbers" of course.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Fischy is 16k what they are reporting for this game? I have heard it is soldout but not what the stadium holds.

Posted by: bighungry | July 2, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Futty Time!

And, yes -- they reported 16,300.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

16,382 for a midweek US Open Cup match. Wait til 2011 when PGE Park has been renovated for the MLS Timbers...when Seattle and Vancouver come to town. That's where you'll point when someone says "soccer can never be popular in the US."

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

I posted on the other thread that it isn't a record then, but the biggest in a long time. There were 2 or 3 games with over 20k reported.

Posted by: bighungry | July 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Seattle 2-1 Portland, final. That was just plain fun to watch and listen to.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | July 2, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Just to repeat, whenever this is a SSS and fitting about 23k, those will be fun times. It was nice to learn where my second favorite Silverback ended up (Hayes), and that the very hard working McManus is there too.

Can't wait for the opening weekend of 2011 when the send these two up against each other.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 2, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

I like the chainsaw timber-cutting thing, presenting the goal scorer with the wood slice. Cool tradition. Not sure how FIFA will feel about using live chainsaws on the sideline, when they hit the big-time...but, cool nonetheless.

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

pretty respectable aside from d-bags throwing crap on the field.
As much as I love the sound of trains in the distance, I'd take that chainsaw over the Cruz Azul train horn!
Hope people don't get themselves into too much beef outside the stadium. Hopefully Sounders fans are polite enough to either go straight to the strip club and spend tons of money, or get right back on their bus and go home...:-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 2, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Great game, even better atmosphere, even through an online broadcast.

Something tells me Portland is ready for MLS.

...But is MLS ready for Portland? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | July 2, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I never got the Houston-Austin match, bighungry.

Posted by: sitruc | July 2, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Goff: Here's my restaurant suggestion when in Portland. I know you liked mine in Seattle. Lot's of beers on tap, and incredible steaks and legs...uhnmm I mean steaks and eggs..

Posted by: DadRyan | July 2, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

I rode down on the Sounders fan bus. We drank, cheered, booed, and sang until we were hoarse. Thank you, Portland.

The Portland Timbers have some awesome fans that are very passionate about their home team and that passion is what makes this rivalry so much fun. We are so excited for the MLS Timbers to join the league and continue this long tradition.

Until then....

Posted by: patrickabroad | July 2, 2009 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Sounders-timbers is great theater. I am sure they will meet in the Cup again next season...shame that with the regional draw only one will ever get past this point until 2011. Heck, Portland is hosting burnley this summer, that will be fun, too. I wish I could be home for it, but I guess I will have to settle for those gapers from Madrid instead.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 2, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

@fischy I also liked the chainsaw cutting timber thing after the goal. I've never seen something like that at a sporting event, and it seems to reflect Oregonians' love of the outdoors. Not a bad atmosphere for a baseball park!

Suzuki is a good player, even at 34. Charleston also has a Japanese player, and he scored on a free kick on Tuesday night in their US Open Cup match.

I like the Timbers' crest and was impressed by how many fans wore the team's colors. Seattle had a good travelling supporters' section, and I'm glad Sigi put a near full-strength lineup to give the rivalry the respect it deserves.

Posted by: billindmd | July 2, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Sitruc neither did I. But as everyone kept reminding me when I complained about the quality of the SOunders-Timbers game. It's free. I ended up using the Dynamo's match tracker.

Posted by: bighungry | July 2, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

two of my favorite things, DCU and mexican food!!!

Posted by: The_Dude_Abides1 | July 2, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse