Simms's Injury and United Notes

*Clyde Simms is heading to Munich this week to have his adductor/groin/hernia injury examined. If necessary, he'll have surgery there and be sidelined up to three weeks. Obviously, he won't play against Rochester on Tuesday night in the U.S. Open Cup semifinal at Maryland SoccerPlex.

"Honestly, I just want peace of mind," he said. "If [surgery] is what it takes, then I will be happy about it. ... It seems to be like an over-use injury, knowing the guys who have gotten it. Hopefully, we can figure out what the problem is. One day you feel great, and the next day, it's frustrating. It was fine Wednesday and Thursday and I felt fine during the game [Saturday against Colorado], just a pass late in the game set it off."

*United has entered formal negotiations with David Habarugira, a 20-year-old defender who was on trial last week. The process, including work visa issues, will probably take a few weeks. Habarugira, who has played for Burundi's national team, is available on free transfer after spending several years in the Anderlecht system and playing on loan in Belgium. United will not offer a contract to the other trialist, Cameroon defender Jean-Francois Bell.

"We're optimistic," United GM Dave Kasper said about reaching a deal with Habarugira. "He has several other offers [abroad], but I think he's pretty interested in coming."

Much more team news on the continuation of this thread.....

*Newly acquired midfielder Danny Szetela rejoined the club after spending a few days at home in New Jersey. The club is still awaiting his international transfer certificate -- it could come today, maybe tomorrow. "Brescia knows that we would like to make it happen for tomorrow," Kasper said of Szetela's possible availability against the Rhinos. "They need the official request to come from the Italian federation."

*Defender Dejan Jakovic, who started three of Canada's four Gold Cup matches, has returned to town but did not practice Monday. After all the international matches and travel, he said he will sit out against Rochester and start Saturday at San Jose.

I'll have much more about the United-Rhinos match in Tuesday's print edition (available online Monday night).

By Steve Goff  |  July 20, 2009; 12:10 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poll: Beckham an All-Star?
Next: USA-Mexico TV Update

Comments

I knew the injury-free team couldn't last.

Posted by: Reignking | July 20, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Any update on Ali Krieger? That was really a bummer Saturday.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 20, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I hope we get to see a bit of Szetela tomorrow ---- especially with Clyde out for a bit. I'm nervous with Jacobsen out there for some reason.
Seemingly good news on the young player chasing, hopefully he'll sign.

Posted by: dcufan | July 20, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

So I'm glad we didn't pull the trigger on Jacobson so soon.

If Olsen went under again, we'd be left with Szetela and Dairomando. I don't think we need to keep Jacobson forever, but until we know how Szetela will turn out, leave it be.

It seems to me that the person we should be looking at the most is Fred. Now, previously, I have been a big supporter, but if his impact is, at best, that little assist, I don't think he's worth the money, which could easily nab a decent defender.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 20, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Haba,Habarugira
Haba,Habarugira
Haba,Habarugira
Da-ba-da-da, ba-bop.

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 20, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

You've given the fans a new chant (and a mnemonic device) - if Habarugira does well. Unfortunately, without the North and South stands the Horah won't be possible. Maybe in the upper deck?

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 20, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Heck, the way Barra breaks chairs, it should be easy to get the chair dance going, if there's no space for the Hora.

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 20, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Any update on Ali Krieger? That was really a bummer Saturday.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 20, 2009 12:18 PM
-----------------------------------------

I was sitting on the opposite side, so I didn't see what happened close up, and I haven't had a chance to watch the broadcast that I recorded. However, I did get a good look at Spisak's leg failing her. I'd be interested in her status, too.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 20, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

UnitedDemon- I think they'll offer him a contract for much much less than he's earning now (which is somewhere in the $200k range). Same with Emilio. It would be great if we could keep both of them at reduced prices, and then we would have a sizeable amount of cap space to go sign a good defender (I figure they lower Fred's salary to $100k and Luci's to $250,000; that saves us more than $300k in cap space!), or maybe even two good players.

Posted by: kdiff813 | July 20, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"If Olsen went under again, we'd be left with Szetela and Dairomando (sic)..."

And McTavish, and Pontius - who based on Saturday's game, might be the best DM on this entire squad. He was knocking Rapids off the ball all night - really impressive work.

Looking at player value - where you single out Fred, I think the top of the list has to be Emilio, then Olsen (love Benny, but dude is paid a LOT for his production), then maybe Fred.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 20, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Germany - Glen Beck says we have the best healthcare system in the world here. Royalty and the Wealthy come here. Simms is unpatriotic.

;)

Cheers,

James

Posted by: bs2004 | July 20, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I didn't understand play continuing for so long when Krieger went down.

Posted by: sitruc | July 20, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah that was weird and even Freedom didn't play it out the 1st time they regained possession.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 20, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

VOTE FOR NAMOFF GOTW - http://web.mlsnet.com/sights/goal_of_the_week/

He's trailing Esky by 2%...needs a boost!!

Posted by: soccerman | July 20, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I hope Simms isn't going to the same German doctor Gallardo and Peralta went to. He'll be out for the year.

Posted by: granadoskerry | July 20, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"So I'm glad we didn't pull the trigger on Jacobson so soon."
-----------------------------------------------

"Is anyone else singing Hava Nagila after saying David Habarugira's name a few times?"
------------------------------------------------

"We"? Which we are we talking about? The two or posters here who thought Szetela's signing meant Jacobson was on his way out the door? I'm fairly certain no one actually within the organization had their finger on that trigger.

The Hava Nagila thing? I posted that last week, when Goff first reported he was on trial with United. I think it's a natural. I hope the Barra/Eagles take it up.

Finally, when Simms gets a definitive word, could he pass it on to me? Sounds like what I have. When I leave my left foot in for a challenge and miss...ouch! Insult and injury.

Posted by: fischy | July 20, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

@granadoskerry -- A friend of mine saw that surgeon just a few months ago and he was back playing within a month. Granted, he's a rec league player, but still...

Posted by: edgeonyou | July 20, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

If we're going to do the Hava Nagila thing, you have to put it to the actual meter.

Haba...rugira, Haba...rugira
Haba...rugira venis'mecha

Repeat

(Roughly meaning: Habarugira and be happy)

It does continue...

Hava neranena, hava neranena
Hava neranena venis'mecha

And, instead of the final paragraph, which is sung thusly, in Hebrew:

Uru, uru achim
Uru achim b'lev same'ach

...we could flip it to

Buru, Burundian
Burundian b'lev sameach

Roughly -- Burundian with a happy heart

Maybe we could play with a little -- lose some of the original Hebrew...

Posted by: fischy | July 20, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

UnitedDemon:

You're forgetting McTavish, Wallace, and Pontius, all of whom would start over DiRaimondo. Actually, on current form, they'd probably start over Jacobson (assuming someone can cover left midfield for Wallace, and/or that Pontius is not needed elsewhere).

I disagree about Fred. First, I think you're selling him short. If "that one little assist" is what you consider his best, then we must be looking at very different people. Second, we're thinner on the wings, where he often plays, than in the middle.

fischy:

You're correct on the fact that the Jacobson trade was just a couple of us tossing the idea around.

I stand by the idea, though: Jacobson is not an ideal fit to our system, and with Szetela's addition he becomes arguably the 5th best at both the pure defensive midfielder's job (behind Simms, probably Szetela, Wallace, and McTavish) and in the two-way role (behind Olsen, probably Szetela, Wallace, and Pontius). How can a player in that situation, unable to play other positions, be worth more to us than an equally capable defender (note that a defender as good at that job as Jacobson is at what he does would be near a starting role for us due to thinner competition). It's one thing if you're DiRaimondo, holding a developmental slot and with only minor trade value. Jacobson, though, takes a senior spot and would be a strong fit in many of the 442s played across the league.

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 20, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

@Chest -- not saying that Jacobson is an ideal fit here...though, on the rare occasions he plays, he does provide us with a target man on set plays. That's something the team does not really have, when he's not there.

That's part of why Namoff's goal was so stunning -- we almost never see that sort of goal with United. Of course, Namoff went around and under the defense. I actually thought Gomez had blown it, kicking it low into the defense. Then I saw the ball kick out of the crowd and into the goal. Never saw Namoff.

My point was that United needs Jacobson, right now... if only for depth at the position. Are there back-up options ahead of him? Sure, but most of them are also options at other positions. If someone goes down at forward or in the defense, all of a sudden, Jacobson may be next in line at midfield.

My guess is we keep him through the season, though we may lose him to Philly in the draft.

Posted by: fischy | July 20, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Geez. Attacks over nothing.

I think it is very foolish to put Pontius and Wallace among the ranks of the D-mid position. They are needed elsewhere. The best thing about the Szetela deal was that we could use the previous two in their more natural positions. If you use either Pontius or Wallace as a starting D-mid, our depth on the wings just takes over as a trouble spot. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

As for the whole "we" thing, it just stands to reason that with acquistion of Szetela that we might dispose of someone not as talented in the same position. However, we didn't, and the injury to Simms makes me glad it didn't happen.

Also, McTavish is pure utility. He's not good enough to start.

As for Olsen needing to go, surely this is his last season. But, then again, Moreno and Gomez are defying nature, so it's hard to say.

Finally, I just don't think Fred is as valuable for that money as he was before we had Pontius, Wallace, and Quaranta playing consistently. Though stats aren't anything, this is the area Fred needs to focus on. He isn't assisting or scoring enough.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 20, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

stats aren't everything. There we go.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 20, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

@UnitedDemon -- I didn't mean it as attack -- but if it came off as one, can we chalk it up to spending most of the night in the Emergency Room?

I guess my larger point is that Jacobson isn't horrible. United has carried less effective players on its roster before. And, Szetela was filling an empty roster slot. I doubt that Jacobson would bring anything in trade that would help us any more than he contributes by giving us depth. He should do a decent job tomorrow night. If it carries us into the USOC final, I've got no major complaints.

Posted by: fischy | July 20, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 20, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Any update on Ali Krieger? That was really a bummer Saturday.

Posted by: OWNTF | July 20, 2009 12:18 PM

--------------------------------------------

Heard it was back spasms, but she should be good to go against Chicago. Pity she had to leave early because I think this was her best game with the Freedom so far.

Posted by: soccerfan80 | July 20, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse