D.C. United News & Notes

Greetings from the Bay Area.

Midfielder Clyde Simms had hernia surgery in Germany and will probably be sidelined three weeks.

Midfielder-forward Boyzzz Khumalo had wrist surgery and is expected to miss four to six weeks.

Midfielder Danny Szetela, finally eligible, trained today and should see some action Saturday night against the Earthquakes. He says he is around 85 percent match fit after not playing competitively for about a month.

Midfielder Ely Allen (Los Angeles last year, PDL Seattle this year) has signed a developmental contract and will join the club next week. Coach Tom Soehn said he could play up front or left wing.

While the club was training today at Buck Shaw Stadium, I had an extensive interview session with DCU investor-Bay Area resident-Earthquakes season ticket holder Will Chang concerning the stadium outlook in Washington. Be sure to check the Insider early Saturday for details. For an overview of United's roster situation and a preview of the San Jose match, check my story on the sports front of washingtonpost.com later tonight.

By Steve Goff  |  July 24, 2009; 6:22 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matchnight: AC Milan - Chelsea
Next: A Few Minutes With Will Chang

Comments

Hmmmm, gonna get its own post on a saturday morning? Interesting.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 24, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Szetela could not have picked a better team at a better time to make a splash in this league, at least in the short term.

We needed a central midfielder with bite and control, and we have the offense to make his efforts actually pay off. Defense, well that's the teams problem.

I'm really excited.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 24, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"I had an extensive interview session with DCU investor-Bay Area resident-Earthquakes season ticket holder Will Chang concerning the stadium outlook in Washington. Be sure to check the Insider early Saturday for details."

Not nice to tease, Steve... Looking forward to it, though!

Posted by: cray | July 24, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

If you're still gonna be in the Bay Area on Sunday and are looking for a place to watch the USA-Mexico Gold Cup final, come to the Mad Dog in the Fog on at 530 Haight St
between Fillmore St & Steiner St, in San Francisco. And drop a line in the comments or blog post if you're going so I know to be on the lookout for you.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | July 24, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Is it bad that anytime I hear "Stadium" I sort of involuntarily get nervous at this point?

Posted by: the_slammer | July 24, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

@CACuzcatlan, you going to Buck Shaw tomorrow? I'll be there with the fam. Wondering if there's any attempt to organize a DCU supporters section in the absence of official SE and BB road trips. Anybody else going?

Posted by: dccal | July 24, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

On other news

1996 is back,

$12 seats for the OPEN CUP FINAL!!!

Im 12 again, yay!!!

Posted by: TheWashDipsSince88 | July 24, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

@dccal, no, I'm not going. I'm actually a Galaxy fan, but I read this blog regularly since it does a good job of covering all of US soccer.

Posted by: CACuzcatlan | July 24, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Saturday morning + stadium talk = zzzzzzz?

Posted by: Reignking | July 24, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@dccal - not a huge group, but some Barra members are making the trip [ http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1070047 ]

Posted by: emanon13 | July 24, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

@CACuzatlan: Oh, good, then you must have an unbiased opinion on the USOC Smackdown from previous threads . . . I mean, no, wait, let's not go there. Uh-oh.

@emanon13: Thanks! We'll see if we can make the group four people bigger.

Posted by: dccal | July 24, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: the_slammer | July 24, 2009 7:36 PM
=====================

No kidding, me too.

On a related note, for the 1st time in 2+ years I was back at RFK for a DCU game last Saturday. So sweet. Nice way to make up for the last game I saw back in '07 where DCU was up 3-0 on Dallas only to tie 3-3.

As for this weekend, my gf is up in the San Fran area visiting friends and she's trying to convince them to ditch their plans for the lake to head out to the DCU game. Hope she gets it done.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | July 24, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Check out the new kid's dance. He scored one goal for the Galaxy.

http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/players/bio.jsp?team=t106&player=allen_e&playerId=all180804&statType=current and look for the video

Posted by: manunot | July 24, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the stadium info is going to be something along the lines of what WBJ reported this morning...

D.C. United back in talks with District officials

Posted by: combedge | July 24, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

RSL scores four in the second half, including a game winning own goal by Torres of Dallas in the 88th, to win 4-2. The switch to a 4-3-3 has worked well for them.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 25, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

All the more reason for us to make a concentrated effort to blow the doors off the Open Cup Final, right?
I

Posted by: DadRyan | July 25, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

stadium push wise is what I was referring to.. darn I suck sometimes.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 25, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse