D.C. United News & Notes

*Trials have ended for defenders Jean-Francois Bell (Cameroon, Swiss league) and David Habarugira (Burundi, Belgian league), and United will now decide whether to offer contracts.

Judging by Coach Tom Soehn's comments, Habarugira is the prime target: "They are very different. David is a young kid [20] who has been in a structured environment [in Anderlecht's youth system]. Tactically, he is very sound. He is very athletic, which I really think is a good fit for our league. He has impressed me quite a bit. His favorite spot is probably right back, but he can play anywhere along the backline. With Jean, he's more experienced [28] but he doesn't quite have the same athleticism as David. Our league is so athletic, that will probably have a lot to do with the decisions we have to make."

Both are available on free transfer. Though he's only 20, Habarugira would require a senior roster contract (not developmental) because he apparently has other club options. United has one senior and one developmental slot available.

For more news, keep reading.....

*Rookie midfielder Brandon Barklage undergoes surgery today to repair his torn ACL. No other DCU players are on the injury list.

*Ticket sales are around 16,000 for tomorrow's doubleheader and, depending on weather and walk-up, a crowd of 18,000-plus is expected.

*Defender Bryan Namoff will conduct a live online chat at 1 p.m. today on the club's Web site.

*DCU's under-18 squad lost to Carmel United (Indiana) in the USSF Developmental Academy final, 1-0, at Home Depot Center.

*Not only is it a DCU-Freedom doubleheader at RFK tomorrow, it's a Comcast SportsNet doubleheader: The local sports outlet will show both matches live in HD. Tonight on Comcast, midfielder-defender Devon McTavish will appear on "Washington Post Live" between 5 and 6 p.m. and the 2006 friendly against Real Madrid in Seattle will be shown at 7 p.m.

By Steve Goff  |  July 17, 2009; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MLS News & WPS Video
Next: McBride Sidelined

Comments

Great stuff, Steve. Thanks.

Now can you tell us -- why DOES Meg Ryan look so young?

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

>No other DCU players are on the injury list.

That's incredible...

Posted by: Reignking | July 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Straight from the horses mouth regarding a video feed for the Rochester/DCU game next week:

Hi Matt -

I sent your note above and this is from our VP of Comm, Doug Hicks:

Unfortunately, the Maryland SoccerPlex does not have the bandwidth available to produce a quality video stream of the game and support all of the other media covering for important outlets that have great reach and that we need to service to the best of our ability. With that being the case, we will make a deliberate effort to produce a high quality highlights package for distribution first thing the following morning, as well as bonus post-game sound and footage throughout the following day.

United takes very seriously its brand image and provides the highest quality of coverage to all matches as the hosting facilities dictate. Furthermore, the club is constantly trying to balance providing accessible content and encouraging game attendance in support of our team in important matches. Please join us at SoccerPlex next Tuesday to enjoy the game in person, as the club has recently decided to reduce the cost of tickets to the semifinal match. All seats are available now at www.dcunited.com.

Regards,

Doug

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

oops, now everyone knows my first name... :-) And no, I'm not the QB for Atlanta.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

You'll always be DudeRyan to me...

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 17, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to Barklage.

I guess I should wish his surgeons good luck, too.

To a succesful surgery and a full recovery.

Posted by: Joel_M_Lane | July 17, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

...the club has recently decided to reduce the cost of tickets to the semifinal match.
-------------------------------------------

At least progress is being made on one front.

With regard to the bandwidth issue, would it be worth targeting Hendricks? The Freedom uses the 'Plex far more than United.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

@Reignking:

"Come with me, or say goodbye to your two closest friends."

Gotta love Fi...

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

ON topic:
sign the 20 year old. maybe...
Good luck to Brandon and his surgeons as well.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Another young defender with a European upbringing? Yes please.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 17, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

$15 tickets to the Rochester game. I know the drive from NoVA is worth about $40 (gas, insurance, maintenance, frustration, wasted time, splint for sprained middle finger after being cut off for the umpteenth time)...but c'mon!! Fifteen dollars if the ticket's bought in advance!!

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 17, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

joedoc1 - thats pretty funny.

Posted by: csh1 | July 17, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

How do you get these $15 tickets for the Rochester match? I see $25 on Ticketmaster. Is there an offer code I can use?

Posted by: Kev29 | July 17, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

i just always assumed "Ryan" was your first name.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 17, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29 | July 17, 2009 1:20 PM

Maybe it's the supporter's group price, but it was $20 before the reduction.

Posted by: DrBeaker | July 17, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I was having a hard time finding the cheap ticket? Do you need a coupon code?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

http://www.dcunited.com/shop/dc-united-vs-rochester-rhinos has $15 for youth, and $20 for adults

there also is a link to enter a coupon code - http://www.dcunited.com/shop/dc-united-vs-rochester-rhinos-planholders

Posted by: emanon13 | July 17, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29 - when i went to the "Special Offers" area of the DCUnited.com site it lists $20 for adults and $15 for kids. it also looks like there might be a coupon code for "D.C. United planholders and supporters" though I'm not sure where you would find that.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | July 17, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

this no streaming thing of the game at the plex is really getting to me, especially when the DCU U-18 squad was on ESPN last night...

I can only assume that there will be streaming at the plex after the Real game.. since they will be swimming in dough! but d'oh there will be no more games this season...

Posted by: bonghits4gomez | July 17, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

My question is all the way at the bottom. And Namoff chewed me out lol

Posted by: Konoha7 | July 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

@dimes: a long time ago in a City far away a dispatcher of mine started calling me madryan due to my salt crusted attitude toward cherry pickers on our crew. Moving to a different city knocked the crust off and having a kid leant itself to a less negative nickname.
If you look back a ways you can probably still find posts by a madryan in the archives... Funny though, many over the years have called me Ryan as the two "first" names is apparently confusing.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

@DadRyan

I am impressed that DCU even sent a response email. It's a shame that they do not have the setup for a live stream.

Posted by: no_recess | July 17, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@no_recess: facebook is actually pretty handy sometimes. I'd forgotten that I'd "befriended" Mr. Sheldon in preseason when asking about additional bicycle parking at RFK. I sent him a message on FB, and then I guess he showed it to Hicks. I pasted the response here. Someone was joking about stalking Szetela yesterday, but it is true that facebook can at times be better than a press pass, and quicker than a lowly generic email.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I feel your pain, Dad, as I have three first names, if you count my middle one too.

Obvioulsy I'm disappointed in the "no stream" thing too, but, I get it, it's just tough to do sometimes.

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I called it! I knew we had David Habarugira on trial.

...What? I'm allowed to celebrate something that required 20 seconds on Wikipedia, right?

Posted by: B_A_ | July 17, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Season Ticket Holders get the $15 price.
I just bought one for a friend and leaving it at will call.
Call a buddy!

Posted by: ussccr | July 17, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Next year's World Cup promises to be a loud affair after FIFA rejected calls to ban the noisy vuvuzela, a plastic trumpet, from the event in South Africa.

Guess I won't be going!

Posted by: Reignking | July 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Becks-Donovan issue, and last night's game, getting lots of play on ESPN today.

I think Grant Wahl's book is helping, more than helping, the league at the moment...

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 17, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Helping, more than hurting, the league at the moment...

I need to start using that Preview button.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 17, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Come on RK. You just need to get one and start practicing... That's what I've been doing, my daughter is even giving it a whirl! :-)

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

If you want to see USA v MEX in English...

Email NBC!

brian.walker@nbcuni.com, adam.freifeld@nbcuni.com, Lyndsay.Iorio@nbcuni.com, dick.ebersol@nbcuni.com, Perkins.Miller@nbcuni.com, Jeff.Zucker@nbcuni.com

Posted by: arswift24 | July 17, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

You forgot one

Jack.Donaghy@nbcuni.com

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

FIFA... what a horrible decision.

Posted by: nairbsod | July 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Former world champion Oscar Freire needed medical treatment after Friday's Tour de France stage to Colmar after being shot in the leg by an air gun.

According to his Rabobank team, Freire was hit in his lower thigh while descending the Col du Platzerwasel, in the final part of the stage. The team's doctor had to remove the pellet and Freire has a large bruise around the wound.

Posted by: Reignking | July 17, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

As Steve explained earlier, Telemundo owns the rights to the USA-Mexico game. They're trying to draw eyeballs to its fledgling station targeting young viewers. "Leverage" is the correct term, I believe.

It's also a pretty good show on TNT.

Posted by: joedoc1 | July 17, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Watson leads The Open after 2 rounds!(Tiger misses the cut.)

Go Tom! Go Lance! Go Jaime and Ben! Go all you other old dudes! And Dara Torres too!

Posted by: OWNTF | July 17, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I also kind of think that it is a psychological thing as well.

Imagine a villain in a movie saying, "You are all alone. You're friends have failed you. You are surrounded. Admit that we are superior! Bow to our indomitable might!" (Yes, I just loosely compared Mexico's scare tactics to that of the Sith. But instead of lightening, think swill and blunt objects).

Sorry, just can't seem to shake the feeling that possibly the most crucial game for the survival of their reputation and dignity is suddenly closed off to a English speaking audience. (Or at least the ones who aren't die hard).

This just sounds desperate.

Posted by: UnitedDemon | July 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@arswift24

Thanks for those emails. I already sent one to the generic comments page a few days ago but I can certainly copy and paste it too all those fools.

Posted by: grubbsbl | July 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Well it doesn't look like Habarugira will be signed in time for this weekend's game. I still think he has to clear international tranfer rules/certificates much like Szetela. If he can play right back DCU could move Namoff to LB and allow Burch to provide MF and D depth.

Posted by: no_recess | July 17, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

BTW, for all who say Bryan Namoff is too slow, please note that in answer to a question in his online chat today he says he won the preseason 40 yard dash. Anytime someone wants to criticize Bryan, all they can come up with is something like "he doesn't have the speed to be a top back." Bullcr*p. Bryan also says Jaime is the fastest with the ball at his feet.

Posted by: b18bolo | July 17, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Bryan also says Jaime is the fastest with the ball at his feet.
-----------------------------------------

Jeff Agoos might concur.

Posted by: cow_pasture | July 17, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

You forgot one

Jack.Donaghy@nbcuni.com

Posted by: JacobfromAtlanta-ish | July 17, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Post of the day! I got a very good laugh on this one.

Posted by: croftonpost | July 17, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Regarding those discount tickets for the US Open Cup match, they were mentioned on twitter a few days ago so I decided to check them out. Once again there is a $10 fee also. $20 ticket = $30. This was the same deal they had for the last Open Cup match. The student discount for the regular season match this weekend may be worth it for some. There are no additional fees.

Posted by: sitruc | July 17, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I called it! I knew we had David Habarugira on trial.

Posted by: B_A_ | July 17, 2009 2:30 PM |
-----------------------------------------------

What, exactly did you call? Goff had a pair of posts at the beginning of the week discussing the trials for Habarugira and Bell.

I even came up with a song for Habarugira (sung to the tune of Hava Nagila).

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reignking | July 17, 2009 3:50 PM |

---------------------------------------------

They get a pretty good pace on the descent. If someone was aiming for Freire, he's a pretty good shot.

Posted by: fischy | July 17, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Not true that the Soccerplex can't accommodate a live streaming broadcast. The stream provided for the Ocean City game was fine. They dropped the first 20 minutes but that was because the USL crew left a roof hatch open while it rained, and flooded the routers in the press box.

Still, if DC doesn't want to rely on the 'plex's gear, or just would rather sell tickets and doesn't want to do the streaming thing, no sense complaining about it. DCU has been much better with in-house video this year than any year previous.

Posted by: Godfather_of_Goals | July 17, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Why not complain about it Godfather? Shoot, how many people now know about a discount being given for this match if it wasn't for some random schmuck remembering he was facebook friends with Kyle Sheldon? I kept asking if Goff had any news, and then made my own moves. I didn't get the answers that I was hoping for, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think letting some fingers do some walkin' didn't benefit a great deal of the commenters on this blog.That is what this place is all about for US now isn't it?

but really, maybe someone else dug up the real dirt on no live feed somewhere else. I do my best to stay the heck away from bigsoccer.no offense bs-ers.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 17, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse