DCU, USA, Esky, Ricketts, Revs

*D.C. United will definitely play a Salvadoran club in the preliminary stage of the CONCACAF Champions League. The home leg will definitely be July 28 at RFK Stadium. The return leg will definitely be Aug. 4 at Estadio Cuscatlan in San Salvador. The opponent, however, is definitely unresolved. United was paired with Chalatenango, but because of complicated administrative club issues that CONCACAF is still attempting to sort out through the Salvadoran federation, it now appears that Chalatenango is out and Firpo might be in. The mess prompted United to ask for direct passage into group play, which begins in mid-August, a request that was predictably turned down. Hopefully, we'll have a decision by the end of the week. Only in CONCACAF.....

*The USSF had planned to unveil the Gold Cup Seven -- the bonus rostered players for the CONCACAF tournament -- sometime today, but alas, complications moved the release to Thursday. Perhaps.

*Galaxy goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts has been named to Jamaica's Gold Cup squad, but because the Reggae Boyz's opener is Friday at Home Depot Center and the Galaxy host New England the next game, he is likely to play in both matches. Los Angeles is then off for a week, meaning he could conceivably suit up for Jamaica against Costa Rica in Columbus July 7 and El Salvador in Miami on July 10 and be back at HDC for the July 11 derby against Chivas USA. The Jamaican federation has apparently cleared him to shuttle between teams.

*Veteran forward Alecko Eskandarian, a former DCU fan favorite, is moving down the hallway at Home Depot Center after being traded to the Galaxy from Chivas USA for allocation money and a conditional draft pick. It's his fifth club in four years. He has one goal in seven matches this season. To clear roster space, the Galaxy released midfielder Josh Tudela, who made nine appearances this year.

*As expected, the Revolution signed 6-foot-4 Lithuanian forward Edgaras Jankauskas, 34, who has played in Russia, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, France, Scotland, Cyprus and Latvia. He has 54 caps and 10 goals for Lithuania.

*Should Ricketts represent MLS at the All-Star Game against Everton? His campaign is underway:

By Steve Goff  |  July 1, 2009; 7:43 PM ET
Categories:  CONCACAF , D.C. United , Gold Cup , MLS , U.S. men's national team
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Kickaround
Next: D.C. United's Taste Test

Comments

I like Ricketts dropping the Keller scarf 'accidentally'...

Posted by: mmathai1 | July 1, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Eskandarian hasn't been the same since his head injury. Is it just me or does there seem to be more consussion type injuries in the MLS than other leagues? In the EPL I can only think of Peter Cech. In the MLS off the top of my head I can name Eskandarian, Gross and Twellman. That doesn't count Janicki who was out for a few games earlier this season.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Mediate, possibly.

Posted by: VirginiaFan | July 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

On a different note,
Real madrid signed Karim Benzema from Lyon today. So Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema will be at FedexField next month vs DC United. This game will definitely be sold out!

Posted by: charlie015 | July 1, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

DCU-Real Madrid ticket sales are around 40,000. Organizers are hoping for 70,000-plus. At those prices, I'd be surprised if they filled a 92,000-seat stadium (fedex).

Posted by: Steve Goff | July 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I gotta tell you, anyone who wasn't going for Kaka or CR07 ain't going for Benzema either. unless there's a massive Lyon fan club in DC I don't know about.

Posted by: joshuaostevens | July 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Looks like since they signed Benzema it's not likely that they will get David Villa.

Posted by: DCUnitedFootball | July 1, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh no! I'm going to be in El Salvador to watch them and now they want to skip out on it! I have an article from the Salvadoran paper that says how "el Chalate" (as they're commonly known as) has no idea if they even have enough players signed to play that game, or even a coach. It would be great if they end up playing Firpo or Aguilas to be honest since they're very popular teams in El Salvador and would get much more of a crowd. I just hope the Salvadoran Fed. gets all this settled so I can cheer my boys on in El Salvador. Thanks for the update, Steve!

Posted by: jgadala | July 1, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

________________________________________________

Because if there's one thing the Galaxy is sorely missing, it's a striker that doesn't ever score. ;)

Posted by: SonicDeathMonkey | July 1, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Like I said in the other thread, there are reasons for CONCACAF to dump Chalatenango and there are reasons that they shouldn't. Having no playing squad is a good reason. Being too broke to rent an acceptable stadium out, since yours is not good enough, is. Selling your 1st division registration is not.

If jgadala is right and they don't even have players, then CONCACAF's hand is forced. However, if they can field a squad and afford to rent out Cuscatlan, there's no actual link between what division they play in (or why) and the fact that they earned their spot in this competition. And yes, I feel strongly about this in part because I see an easier path for DCU by playing them.

You can't fault United for asking for an automatic pass, but it was never going to happen. I would be shocked if this results in anything other than us facing Firpo. Who else is ready to be sworn at in Spanish in your own home stadium?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | July 1, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Alecko, wasn't it just a few years ago that you were MLS Cup MVP? How far the mighty have fallen...

Posted by: diego_r | July 1, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Keller? Dude, if you handle the ball outside of your box and get ejected from the match, are you really an "Allstar"?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

With Firpo in we would have to endure yet another international home game being totally outnumbered like last fall, that was ugly. It seems that the DCU faithful don't buy the international games. If the front office expects a big gate I doubt they would make the "C" game in my packet that play-in. Firpo would be a competitive home game in a hostile environment - RFK. I don't know what kind of take DCU would from the gate but money talks so I would expect this to happen if Chelate can't pull it together.

Posted by: sbg1 | July 1, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the feed from Portland?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't imagine there are a lot of people here who know Benzema -- but, I'm looking forward to seeing him play...

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

right fischy.... never heard of the lad...;-) Shoot, you trying to say you are more excited to see the Frog more than the Brazilian and the Portuguese tanning specialist? I know I'd be.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Haha...great tifo from Timbers Army of Timber Jim sawing down the Space Needle..

Posted by: the_slammer | July 1, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

anyone see the giant timber jim cut down the space needle? wow.
sick

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Sounders already up in less than a minute of play... wow.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

This is a horrible feed. The techs were talking over the announcers earlier.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

so?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

It's campy and unprofessional. It wouldn;t happen in the FA Cup. It shows that the Open Cup is a Mickey Mouse tounrement.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

tounrement?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

want to correct my grammer now? seriously? grow up.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Wait, are you telling me that the FA Cup is better than the US Open Cup?

chest et al, I've been reading articles, too, questioning what on earth Chalatenango is going to do; I think that they haven't even paid their players.

Posted by: Reignking | July 1, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

but I love Mickey Mouse, Walt Disney, and Michael Jackson... I don't want to grow up, I'm a TOYZ R US KID... ha, ha. you wanna be the teacher but you can't even spit it out. Love ya BH. But why don't you grow up. You must be a Timbers fan...

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Or aces...? meh..

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Not sure what you are on, but sure.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

beer. sorry, dude. I think the feed is plenty better than the one I watched DCU stink it up on last night. I'm just happy I can actually follow this mickey mouse tournament at all. The funniest thing about that kind of mindset is the fact that if anything, MLS is the mickey mouse league, because the only reason we have these feeds is because of the USL teams involved. Wait till two MLS teams go head to head. We wont even have the luxury of this crap feed.
I'm diggin' it.

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

And also your feed may not be as nice as mine. Nate Jaqua sucks. What the heck was that?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

The USOC and the FA Cup were pretty neck and neck in terms of prestige in my mind, but this imperfect free internet video stream has definitely pushed the FA Cup over the top.

Posted by: the_slammer | July 1, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Two questions:

One is that the stadium the Timbers will be using for MLS? Huge outfield wall -- too far from the pitch, and the seats are very high up there. Much renovations needed. What about the pitch? Will they use grass? Or, is this another stadium?

Two: What the heck is Schmid doing, using Keller? This is the Open Cup. Is that Keller just wanting to play against his old side? At least the Timbers just put one past him...

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Keller is a knob fischy. Check out his blog.

and yes that is PGE park that they want to renovate for a better soccer configuration. It looks to me that it is an old football stadium, retooled for baseball, retooled for soccer?
Lets go look up some crap on Google maps, eh?

Posted by: DadRyan | July 1, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

This looks like it might be a USOC record-setting crowd...

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't care if the feed is free it should be good. That is if it is a real competition. But they seem to have gotten their act together, it was choppy at first. But mostly hearing the techs yell at each other, though funny, does not make me feel like I am watching a game more important than a highschool game.

@fischy can you really blame someone for wanting to win an Open Cup game? I find it encouraging. Especially when four MLS teams were knocked out yesterday.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it's kinda interesting how different teams are handling the tournament. Look at the players who took the penalty kicks for KC, Thompson Lopez, Wolff, Gomez. They didn't run out a reserve team against Minnesota...and they still had to go to PKs.

Sure, you want to win some hardware, but you've got to give some playing time to guys who need it, and rest guys who could use a rest.

As for Keller in particular, it's SOP for first-division teams in Cup play that back-up goalies usually get the work. Everton was a real exception because they wanted to win some hardware and thought Howard might get them there.

Posted by: fischy | July 1, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

@Fischy according to wikipedia the Sounders, Dynamo, Rochester (6), LA, Portland, Chicago (2), Columbus, Colarodo all have games over 10k. Colorado has the record at 20,300. But one of the early finals was reported at 20k exactly. I didn't catch the attendence for this game but it should be higher.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

FA cup is different then the Open Cup. I'd say it's more on par with the League Cup in England. Plus it has more history than the Open Cup, which didn't allow pro-teams to compete until 95'.

I agree that they probably should have let the backup play, but it is a rivalry game I guess.

Posted by: bighungry | July 1, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

It's Futty!

Posted by: fischy | July 2, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I stopped that video as soon as I saw Cobi Jones.

Posted by: sitruc | July 2, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

DC has played Firpo before (1996 Friendly) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--t_wDT637g

Posted by: ESFan21 | July 2, 2009 5:43 AM | Report abuse

1. Cobi looks like he's had too many cookies.
2. I wonder if ESPN will have Eurostars in their "around the office" promos for sports center.

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | July 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse